Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Multiple Connections
Goto page 1, 2  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Polls » Multiple Connections
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should multiple connections be allowed?
Yes, for say.. $10 a month, let them connect a second time with the same address.
22%
 22%  [ 10 ]
Yes, for say.. $5 a month, let them connect a second time with the same address.
57%
 57%  [ 26 ]
No, just block those extra connections. They'll just have to take turns.
20%
 20%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 45

HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:01 am    Post subject: Multiple Connections

We'd like your input on an important issue. As you know, we recently blocked the ability to connect to the game more than once at a time via the same IP address. However, this has a problem in that if families share a connection to the internet via a router, etc., they all have the same address and therefore only one family member or roommate can play at any given time.

The thought has crossed our mind that we could use a small subscription fee as one way to allow these people to play on more than one simultaneous connection, and we'd like your views on this. I'm asking that you vote not on whether you'd use this service, but rather on whether you feel it's okay as a concept to implement.

I'd like to state however, that this is not a plot to make cash off of a half-done game or anything like that. I expect the amount of people who use this service would be a small amount. But, we'd like your views on whether you feel it is acceptable for those who do wish to use it.

Thanks. Smile

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Brenton
/fidget

Post Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:10 am    Post subject:

Have you seen how many people are actually affected by not being able to login because someone else uses the same ip?
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:26 am    Post subject:

We have no way of knowing how many have "legitimate" reasons for wanting to connect more than once on the same IP. We've observed maybe, and this is a guestimate, ten people using the same IP more than once, pre-change.

Back to top »
Chris Crosshair

Location: In the sewers carying a small box that keeps screaming...

Post Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 1:35 am    Post subject:

I am split actually so i voted for no charge dont change anything.

My reasoning is this. Most people know that in a free game (those that are legit), you play with one account you dont login with 2 or 30 and mass earn cash, experience etc that way.

Now there are people that do not get this point and think "hey it lets me so lets go" and they sit there, afk mine (for example) on one account while the other crunches and sells. This is unfair to those that play right. Sure the IP blocking hurts playing as a family on the game. But most subscription services do the identical same thing. And the free ones that allow multiple ip's i wont go into Wink

Its not really that much of a strain to ask people to login one account per ip. Maybe when the game is in full operations and people are paying for the game it could be relooked at but at this point i say no.
HR-Draxx

Post Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 2:38 am    Post subject:

Evil or Very Mad
I know I'm staff, but I'm having my say anyhow. All I have to say is that I absolutely despise cheaters. I would prefer to keep it the way it is, with no double connections allowed, but at the same time I don't want to alienate potential players from enjoying the game because of the actions of the people we've found abusing that ability. If the results turn out against keeping it the same, which it looks like it might, there needs to be a monthly charge AND checks for abuse of the privilage.
 Back to top »
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 2:51 am    Post subject:

It also bears noting that not a single occurrence up until now (at least, the several I witnessed) has in any way even vaguely resembled two-or-more persons simply wishing to enjoy the game; instead, only tons and tons of muling, money pooling, and power-foraging/mining.
As for weighing in on opinion, I want people to be able to enjoy our game without restriction, and it stinks that a handful of people who just aren't able to cut playing a single character for success are ruining it.

To make a long story short, don't tell it.

I may be going nowhere, but I'm going nowhere fast.
---
Kelvin Watt says, "I stopped drinking coke when no longer drinking beer didn't make my gut disappear."
---
Kaelin Rae says, "Wait a minute..."
Kaelin Rae says, "You mean they have a COKE machine that dispenses beer."
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
Kaelin Rae says, "Greaser."
Kaelin Rae looks at you and sighs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:47 pm    Post subject:

I voted for Option #2 yesterday, but I had to flee before I could comment. I originally did it because, hey, it's just a game and if one person wants to advance one character that badly, then they probably wouldn't have any problem with a low fee of $5 (I don't like the $10 thing right now.. maybe for the full, complete version). The first account could be kept free, but every account after that needs to be registered and fined for five dollars.

Also, I'm with Draxx's final statement: multiple accounters need to be monitored for massive hording of characters just for the advacement of one (monetary-wise for now; no clue what the full game has in possibilities for experience gain). The multiple accounts need to be flagged in some way that any GM that may or may not suspect something can just check up on them with the ease of a keystroke or two. If there's any indication of cheating/violating policy/whatever, then all of the accounts relating to that person would get an official reprimand.. but they would have a chance to explain themselves. If it can be proven that it's just a family operation and not a single person benefiting, then the reprimand could be removed; however, I suggest there still be some kind of flag set on those accounts just as a reminder to other GMs that something fishy may be going on.

--William, still without his caffine

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 7:13 pm    Post subject:

Unless they're being just grossly obvious, it's tough to tell between two roommates / family / husband & wife who want to play together and help each other ... and the true player who wants to benefit their other character.

I'm sure if we allowed multi connections we could monitor and catch some offenders, but I don't want anyone to have a false sense of security that we'd catch a large percentage of those people. It's just not realistic I'm afraid.

Back to top »
Gabriel

Post Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:12 am    Post subject:

If I could, I would go back and change my choice. Like Mr. Draxx I truly hate cheaters. I originally chose #1 thinking, heck, if they want to use multiple connections to cheat... take 'em for as much as you can.. But soon after doing this I was suddenly reminded of people who do this to such a disgusting level like the Gonif "family" of DragonRealms.

The whole "It's okay if you RP each one." mentality makes me sick. Often I'd see her using her high level thief and usually one other to both guard her trader on routes. In my eyes this is not an RP'd family helping out, it's blatant abuse. Also recently in the same game, I helped a few other people to confront a graverobber who threatened us with his high level character on at the same time via a second account.

In summation PLEASE do not allow multiple accounts or I'll cry. You don't want to make me cry, do you? Families/roommates/friends can take turns. Twisted Evil

-Gabriel
 Back to top »
Downtweak

Post Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:20 am    Post subject:

>>In summation PLEASE do not allow multiple accounts or I'll cry. You don't want to make me cry, do you? Families/roommates/friends can take turns.

If you can't beat up your roommate/spouse for control of the computer, you don't deserve to play Haelrahv.

We only accept the best.

-Downtweak

Code:
They hate me because I am the accumulation of the knowledge of Death.  That knowledge is a curse to them instead of a useful burden.

-Nef; From the Dust Returned
 Back to top »
dirtydwarb

Post Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 5:32 pm    Post subject:

well while it's free, it's tough to police things. If/when it gets to the point where there's a monthly charge for accounts then each person who plays will have their own account and will pay separately. In the meantime I'm with the anti-cheaters and only one should be able to play from a single ip at a time.

-Lukin
 Back to top »
HR-Blade

Post Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 10:45 am    Post subject:

Downtweak wrote:
>>If you can't beat up your roommate/spouse for control of the computer, you don't deserve to play Haelrahv.-Downtweak

I'm one of those horrible people who doesn't WANT to play with my spouse online. GO AWAY! MY computer! We play Diablo II together and that's bad enough. I sympathize with the people who want to play together, but I'm sure that haelrahv doesn't consittute the entirety of your quality time.

The people that feel the need to cheat to advance in a text-based RPG, though, I can only feel sorry for. RPGs, IMHO, should be just that, role playing environments. Opportunities to pretend to be someone else, do neat things, kill fantastic and dangerous creatures. It's okay to want to be the biggest or the richest... but not at the expense of people who put their efforts into one character at a time, within the rules of the game.

Blade
 Back to top »
senutyenool

Post Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 11:29 pm    Post subject:

Okay, been a while but I feel I need to throw in my 3.5 cents (AU) into the tray here.

I and my better half would be more than willing to pay the initial $5 per account (so to speak) and then upgrade to the $10 fee when the game goes live.

We currently have 2 PCs hooked up via router so that we can both play simultaneously. (Yes, we play at the same time and the same game)

By restricting the game to only one account (IP address) I can assure you that you will lose a not so small community of players due to only allowing one person per couple to play at the same time. Offhand we regularly play with 4 other couples and I can give you a fairly solid assurance that they feel the same way I do -- that is, if my other half can't play, I won't either.

In closing I must point out that a lot of the comments that I read by the 'Nay' sayers in this topic seem to be the type of people I lump together as the 'powercirclers', you know the ones I mean...... the ones that play the majority of RPGs/MUDs/MMPORGs to be the highest/strongest/bestest character around to be able to blow their own trumpet on how good they are, but when it comes to actually RP'ing couldn't do it without a written dialogue script in front of them.

In a nutshell, most couple 'players' join and enjoy these games for the role-playing aspect and you will leave out a large player base if restricting it to one IP address.

Bah, this has got me really steamed but I'll cut it here as I think you get the picture by now........ Charge us! We'll gladly pay...

a.k.a Senutyenool
 Back to top »
HR-Jocelyn

Post Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 11:51 pm    Post subject:

Ok, First of all, the reason we don't charge, is because all of us on staff don't want any of the players to pay for a game that isnt fully complete yet. Almost all of us have come from pay-to-play games and we know how frustrating it is to have to pay for something you aren't completely satisified for.

The reason we don't allow multiple connections per IP is to avoid multi-accounters. People who play more than one character simutaniously to advance faster. Since the accounts are free, theres really no other way to regulate this.

When the game ever gets to a pay-to-play state, You can be assured that this limit will be removed. We are aware of those who have routers and multiple PCs on a single IP, but there really isn't an alternative for us to limit multi-accounters.
senutyenool

Post Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 12:02 am    Post subject:

HR-Jocelyn wrote:
Ok, First of all, the reason we don't charge, is because all of us on staff don't want any of the players to pay for a game that isnt fully complete yet. Almost all of us have come from pay-to-play games and we know how frustrating it is to have to pay for something you aren't completely satisified for.

The reason we don't allow multiple connections per IP is to avoid multi-accounters. People who play more than one character simutaniously to advance faster. Since the accounts are free, theres really no other way to regulate this.

When the game ever gets to a pay-to-play state, You can be assured that this limit will be removed. We are aware of those who have routers and multiple PCs on a single IP, but there really isn't an alternative for us to limit multi-accounters.

Okay, thanks for clearing up that this is only for the pre-release phase of the game. The way I was reading was that it might not become an option at all when the game goes live.... my fault for not reading properly and playing too much (just finished another 10 hour session - and yes both I and the better half were playing).

And as I stated earlier I would still be more than happy to pay $5 during the pre-release/beta period if I were to have more than one character/account playing.......

a.k.a Senutyenool
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Polls » Multiple Connections
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: