Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Tracker Updates
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Trackers » Tracker Updates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 5:06 am    Post subject: Tracker Updates

First of all, Counselor Ragnar is no longer with the staff, therefore there is no Tracker Guru at this time. However, several staff members are taking part in the development of Tracker type systems including Ashara, Hunter, Morrigan, Satia, and possibly some more I'm overlooking (doh!)

Secondly, it was intended that Trackers would receive a bonus to the Nautical skill, but this was overlooked. I have added that bonus to the website and such.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 6:33 am    Post subject:

And then there was much rejoicing (over the Nautical skill, and the active continuation of the Tracker systems, not in Ragnar's dismissal) by the midget-folk.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
TheTrackerChick
Babe of Doom

Post Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:40 am    Post subject:

I'd like to get confirmation on this please. Will Trackers never have a tracker Guru? Will we always have to rely on the kindness of other profession gurus to toss us a bone? And if so, then why have a Tracker profession? I personally would like our own guru, that cared excusively about our profession and if not, then I'd like to know before live, so I can switch professions. Maybe there shouldn't even be a Tracker profession at this point? Someday later down the road?

I don't mean to be rude, I just would like to know where my profession is going, and if it's not going, eliminate it and let us move on.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:20 pm    Post subject:

If you'd rather actually get less done for your profession, I'm sure I can dig up a guru.

Back to top »
TheTrackerChick
Babe of Doom

Post Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:36 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
If you'd rather actually get less done for your profession, I'm sure I can dig up a guru.

Actually, I wasn't asking for a guru now. My question was will Trackers ever have one specifically for them.
Tao

Post Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:54 pm    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:

Ouch, that response reminded me of how the people at SIMU would respond. I'm really hurt that you said that. I know that you've told us that there are several people working on Trackers but it seems that even though they do work on Tracker stuff, they are also implemmenting it to other professions like the caches for example. Inaira was just asking for a guru dedicated to us Trackers, someone that wont go using an idea for trackers and use it for another profession.
TheTrackerChick
Babe of Doom

Post Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject:

My main concern about Trackers is the attitude that always seems to follow trackers/rangers or whatever you want to call them. I've seen it happen time and time again in other places so was trying to change that. I was hoping with a tracker dedicated guru, we could come up with some ways to rectify the prejudices that people seem to feel. And really come up with ideas of what a tracker really is. I feel like we're just floundering, part agent, part artisan, part a lot of professions, but none that really distinguishs us as a Tracker.

On that note, I think it might be time for us trackers to have a meeting, I'll send out a post on the Tracker yahoo group. Maybe that would be a step in the right direction and it certainly can't hurt.

Inaira
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject:

Ok, don't flame me for this, but I have to ask.

What prejudices are you speaking about?

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
TheTrackerChick
Babe of Doom

Post Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
What prejudices are you speaking about?

That all we do is hug trees!!!! heh
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:50 pm    Post subject:

But.. you do.

Confused

And back on topic. If you had ONE person that did nothing else but do stuff for Trackers, do you really think you'd gain much? Right now, you have several Counselors working on various things that will inevitably impact the Tracker profession. If you had a Guru and nobody else worked on stuff for you guys, like Trevor said, you'd start losing out.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:09 pm    Post subject:

I wasn't trying to be a dick or a smartass or to piss anyone off. I was being serious.

Many times I have said that Trackers are a special group who benefit from *not* having a guru. I realize that not everyone will agree with my design and management choices and may feel they have a better idea of the best solution, but I do think I have the most information available (and likely, most experience) to make these decisions.

If a Tracker Guru is hired, Trackers will get less done for them. Why? Bureaucracy, red tape, you know, the things people complain about when they see it. In this case people feel left out because they don't have a guru, so they're actually asking for red tape. If I provide a guru to you, this is precisely what you're going to get.

And Tao, your comment was really unfair and I am considerably offended. To counter this point, I'd point you to the number of people who have said their professions in DR, etc. got jack diddly for X years because they had a lousy developer working for them and either made bad choices or did little to no work.

I said what I said as a caution. It's almost easier for me to just go find a guru to make people happy and quiet for the time being instead of arguing a point I know is correct for the game. But you know, unlike companies people compare us to when they get pissed off, we don't work that way.

And Inaira, I don't know what you thought being a Tracker entailed that you can't do, but I'll be glad to hear what those things are.

Back to top »
TheTrackerChick
Babe of Doom

Post Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:09 pm    Post subject:

I think what it really is, and I imagine this goes on time and time again in other professions, in other games. But what I think it is, is without getting any updates at all, a profession starts to feel ignored. Even though, I know we really aren't and that they are of course working on things. To reiterate that, I know Trackers and all the other professions are not being ignored, and that there are plenty of people working hard on all of them.

And I totally do appreciate it, whenever things get released. From Mercs to Medics, I'm always glad to see the fruits of the hardworking gurus blossom. Not just for Trackers, I support all of the professions as I'm sure all the gurus do also.

And I do understand completely that it's not good to let too many cats out of the bag for the gurus.

So the point is, could we get a tiny update on what might be coming for trackers?

If not, that's fine too. I'm ending my comments.
TienaRhyker

Post Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject:

Hmm, I don't know how to ease into what it was that I wanted to say here so I will just go ahead. From what I have heard I believe that the primary frustration of people who have been Trackers for a long time is not knowing. It seems that they don't know what is in store for their profession and they don't feel special. What they forget to realize, because it is quiet is that there are people working on the profession, even without a guru to make them beautiful promises. They get frustrated and let it build up until finally they've GOT to know what's right now.

I think that what sets Trevor apart from Simu is that he realizes this. So when we spazz out all over him he might be able to look past it and know without us even having to fully explain that we are not ungrateful. At least I hope that's what happens when I go into full whine or lioness mode with him. <throws her head back and gives a charming wink to Trevor>

oh and please forgive my run on sentences!
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:25 pm    Post subject:

I don't think people are ungrateful and I believe in 99% of the cases, posts made and so on are made with good intentions. Even Tao's where he really insulted me, and he knows he did so, I think the fact he did so was lousy. I think he had good intentions, however.

I think people need to talk to each other more, because if you did, you'd realize a number of people say the same thing about their personal, non-Tracker profession. Look at recent threads for Bureaucrats. Look at Guardians asking politely but hopefully for new attacks or other abilities. Look at those professions who say very little but show their concern through just wanting a profession meeting.

Now, do I think we can give more to the professions? Sure. But you know, all these games it's the same thing. Eaxia has this issue, DR has this issue, GS has this issue, I mean unless you don't have professions at all, you have this issue. And then you have the "We need professions" issue. It's constant, non stop, and people get very passionate about it.

But in the end, I don't think Trackers lack. I think they may not have everything we'd like (we includes me) but they have a lot going for them. I encourage any Tracker who disagrees to consider changing professions if you you really think the profession is that bad, because you might have just chosen the wrong profession.

And if you are able to stand back, think about the profession as a whole and say, "Hey, we're actually doing pretty good on the whole." then maybe you should temper your complaints a bit. I mean, those receiving your complaints do have feelings like anyone else. We don't like to feel like we're working hard for people who will just smack us in the face when we slow down.

And Tao, regardless of what you may think of anything I have said, like you, I am striving for the best. If I weren't, I'd just not reply to any of these posts at all. And you know, if you think about the company you compared me to, that would probably be a more fitting response if your comparison were true.

Back to top »
Tao

Post Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject:

Trevor wrote:
And Tao, your comment was really unfair and I am considerably offended. To counter this point, I'd point you to the number of people who have said their professions in DR, etc. got jack diddly for X years because they had a lousy developer working for them and either made bad choices or did little to no work.

Trevor, you may not have meant to be a dick or smartass but that's how I was seeing it. I felt offended with what you said and have been treating our profession (skinning and foraging for example). You're offended with what I said, so we're even. I'm sorry I said those things, but I felt like Trackers were going no where. I've asked if we could have a meeting to let us know what's in store for Trackers but you said no, you're too busy. And one of our main concerns is needing to know. Don't you want out opinions about what you are trying to get done for us? What if you produce something for trackers and its something that we didnt even want or find useless and you spent months and months working on it? Do you remember that ability to find our ways thru mazes? I tried it several times, it was very useless and time consuming. I know you are basically in charge of Trackers stuff and because of that you cut alot of red tape this way, but it seems like with us not knowing anything and all the other responsibilities and stuff you got going on it feels like we do have a guru waiting behind red tape. I'm not saying i want that, I just want to know what's going on. You say we have no Guru, but I see now that we do, and that's you, Trevor.
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Trackers » Tracker Updates
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: