FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Character Concept - Vampire
Goto page 1, 2  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Role-playing & Socialization » Character Concept - Vampire
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Sun May 04, 2003 4:09 pm    Post subject: Character Concept - Vampire

I had a fairly amusing idea for a neat character model for anyone with enough skill points and time -- the Vampire! If the released list of spells stays at least roughly the same, such a character design is completely doable... and let's not forget the glee one could have with it. Now, I'm quite aware that we probably won't want to run around proclaiming to be a Vampire.. or even acknowledging that they even exist. The name "Vampire" for this concept is just to give the general idea for them across. What follows is just a collection of random ideas for this concept.

------------------------------------------------------

Some of the Magicks will prove quite useful for the Vampires. However, Magicks are not really that required for the common Vampire; Psionics will suffice by themselves. If profession allows (ie. you're a Mage), try to get as many spells in the Summoning Circle as you can.

-- Necessary Spells:

Quote:
* Blood Siphon (allows caster to drain health from a target; assumed that caster can still use this if at full health)
* Amplify Stars and Invisibility (Vamps are known for their keen eyesight and, since AS is a requirement for Invis, it's unadoivable; Vamps are known for their sneaky covertness, thus Invis)
* Shrink, Grow, and Preservation (Shrink and Grow are requirements to Preservation, so it's unavoidable; Preservation.. slows blood loss.. self explanitory)
* Teleport and Phase (Teleport, self explanitory; Phase... lightning speed kind of effect, plus gets you out of combat = god)
* Elemental Shield (must protect yourself against other Vampires)

-- Recommended Spells:
Quote:
* Anything in the Elemental Magic circle (try to avoid the Fire-based spells.. Vampires are extremely vulnerable to fire)
* Proficiency & Mastery (just because they're really useful)
* Any of the Seams and Paths (teleportation spells.. self explanitory)
* Magus Bridge (if you plan on having a Vampire Kiss, this would be quite useful.. teleports entire group to certain locations -- must have all three Paths in order to get, however, plus whatever items it may require to be cast)
* Plane Travel (Magus Bridge is required.. teleports entire group to a temporary safe haven in another plane.. useful for those quick getaways)

If you know anything about Vampires at all, it's quite clear where Psionics would come into effect for this concept. However, not all Vampires need be obsessed with their mental prowess; the Magics will suffice in their place. If profession allows (ie. you're a Psionic), get everything within the Drawing Path as quickly as possible.

-- Necessary Psionics:
Quote:
* Spirit Slash, Psychic Hammer, and Peircing Stare (psionic attacks with, assumedly, different "weapon types".. if that makes sense; will prove useful if found without an actual weapon in hand)
* Telekinetic Strike and Telekinetic Swarm (why waste energy hacking and slashing at your enemies when that coffer on the floor can beat them senseless instead?)
* Psi Shield (must protect yourself against other Vampires)
* Blindness and Paralysis (Blindness because it's required for Paralysis.. which is self explanitory)
* See Invisable and Revelation (you really shouldn't be snuck up upon.. you'd lose face)
* Nightvision (only if your race has problems with the dark.. ie, you're not a Darju)
* Attune Eyesight (Vampires are known for their keen eyesight, afterall)
* Conceal (Vampires are known for their covertness)

-- Recommended Psionics:
Quote:
* Telekinetic Leap and Levitation (Vampires are known for their general lightness of foot)
* Disarm Traps and Unlock (only if you're looking to be independant of society's locksmiths)
* Rime Cloud (if you're sticking completely to psionics, you'll be low on non-weaponry attacks.. might as well get as many as you can)
* Anything within the Psychic Psionic Path (..duh..)
* Mass Levitation (only if you're looking to have a lot of friends that can't climb or swim)
* Cure Poison (this is just personal preference)
* Fear, Nightmares, Fearscape, and Terrorscape (...why the hell not?)
* Precognition and Decoys (agility and coordination boosts.. who wouldn't want them?)
* Photographic Memory, Glimpse, and Instant Recall (PM is required for the other two; Glimpse so you can tell what's going on in your "haven"; IR for instant teleportation to your "haven")

Now, if you're not looking to dabble in any Psionics or Magicks, you're still good. You'll just have a little more trouble getting the general feel of being a Vampire across. For this route, I suggest being an Agent if you're looking to be of the shadowy lot, a Guardian if you want to be quick and agile in combat, a Performer if you're interested in openly deceiving the rest of society (think Theatre des Vampire in Interview With the Vampire), Mercenary or Trooper if you want to bust skulls open, or even a Bureaucrat if you're looking to be a rich bastard (still kind of shadowy in their own way, too). The skills you would want to train pretty much fall under the rest of those in these professions.

For the roleplaying aspect, it gets a little harder. Until we know more the history of Haelrahv (and, more importantly, each race's history), it would be more than difficult to just make up a standard way for a Vampire to act. I think it would be safe to assume, if only for playability reasons, that the Haelrahvian breed of Vampire could walk around in the daytime, but beyond that.. I'm not even going to try.

------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, I realize this draft of a concept is really poorly done, especially when compared to my Pirate one (hey, at least a few people thought it was good). It's a rather difficult concept, and a rather broad generalization of one as well. Maybe it'll inspire someone someday to make their own Vampire-esque character.. I'd certainly like to hear about that. ::Shrug::

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points

Last edited by Brokyn on Tue May 06, 2003 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
Mausumi

Post Posted: Tue May 06, 2003 3:30 am    Post subject:

I think I missed your "pirate" idea, or maybe I liked it. Knowing my fascination with pirates, I probaly liked it.

And I have to say, you do a really good job thinking up these ideas. And explain em well enough to make them understandable and rather feasible in theory. I have to agree though, until we know more of Haelrahv's history it'd be hard to incorporate the whole "vampire" concept into game play. Though, I highly doubt that will stop some people from deciding to go that path once the game opens up. Afterall, we already have Greek Amazons....I'm sure the vampire fanatics can come up with some...uh, plausible? theory on why and how they arrived into Haelrahvian culture...or some such thing.

~Keshi/Kels (I can't remember who I post as! It's been to long...*bawls*)
HR-Arden

Post Posted: Tue May 06, 2003 7:02 am    Post subject:

While I am not a big fan of the vampire concept in general, I think you did a very good job of it. I'm not sure how protection from elements would protect you against other vampires. Maybe protection from evil or something similar.

I look forward to seeing more. Smile

Arden
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Tue May 06, 2003 3:15 pm    Post subject:

The Elemental Shield spell was to help protect against other Magic-wielding Vampiric types (and Psi Shield for the psionic-wielding ones). ::Shrug:: And don't you think a Protection From Evil spell would kind of hurt the casting Vampire? Confused

--William, drained from an AP test.. ::Wobble::

PS: Mausumi, here's the link to the Pirate concept in case you still can't find it -- http://www.haelrahv.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=683

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Arden

Post Posted: Tue May 06, 2003 3:50 pm    Post subject:

Brokyn wrote:
And don't you think a Protection From Evil spell would kind of hurt the casting Vampire?

Probably, just because it's positive energy. That's why I said 'or something similar'. Of course it depends on the individual, but do vampires generally go after eachother? Wouldn't they be more worried about defending themselves against vampire hunters? But like you said, the elemental shield would be good against fire.

Arden
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Tue May 06, 2003 8:23 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Of course it depends on the individual, but do vampires generally go after eachother?

Yay, Arden. You're allowing me to actually use my somewhat vast knowledge on Vampires, now. This is, as everything I post, a generalization of the whole; everybody here, by now, knows the law concerning individuality within a mainstream concept.

Vampires, like any other predatorial beast, is very territorial and power-hungry. They will do anything to maintain their dominance under those younger and weaker than them. The concept of weakness can be used for both the mental and physical aspects of the opposition. Physical weakness is obvious -- can Joe crack Bob's rib with a flick, or does he need about a hundred punches just to cause a bruise? Mental weakness is, in an overall sense, similar, as Vampires are typically seen as something akin to Haelrahv's Psionics (ever see a movie where the vampire can put the victim into a trance.. or can cause severe head pain with a single gesture?). If you're weaker than Fred the Vampire, he's more than likely going to knock you out of his way. The idea that, "Hey, he's no threat to me, so I'll let him go" doesn't work within Vampire Society -- they know that, given time and effort, every Vampire will eventually become stronger.. and perhaps pose some sort of threat. Vampires are immortal, after all, and time is of no concern to the everyday Kindred.

[tangent]

Again, like other predatorial beasts, Vampires tend to form hierarchial Clans that consist of their own ranking system.. which we won't get into. Just know that there's a leader, the leader's second in command, and all the underlings that do as the leader wishes. To keep from rousing suspicion (sp? .. god, I can never spell it right) from the local humans, Clans will generally keep a low profile.. or even be so open about their identity, though in a certain way, that humans just think it's an act (I hate to use the same example, but think about the Theatre des Vampire in Interview With the Vampire -- they were, to the public, a troupe of actors that, during their nightly performers, the leader would take a woman from the audience and do the gleeful neck-biting ordeal; everyone thought it an act, and the woman a part of it.. nobody was the wiser). It's really all up to whoever's in charge just what the Clan will act in public and everything, which is rather quite exciting when you get into playing interactions between two rival Clans.. or even two "allied" clans. Very Happy

[/tangent]

Ok. I'm now, officially, a dork. La de dah.. anyway.

I'll leave with an interesting thought -- can there, despite all folk lore and myth, ever be a non-evil Vampire? I'm not talking about a Holy Vampire, which would invoke images of some kind of Sainthood nightmare; rather, just a "neutral" Vampire, for lack of a better term.

--William

PS: Because I forgot until I reread your post, Arden, and I'm too lazy to work it in: Hunters, when it comes down to it, are probably the cause of Vampires forming their structured Clans. What self-respecting, intelligent Hunter would dare take on a Vampire that was known to be part of Clan A? It's true, though, that the "rogue Vampires" (which, by the way, form their own miniature clans sometimes.. which are called Kisses -- Kiss, singular -- for reasons unknown to me) would have to, from time to time, look over their shoulder to make sure a wooden stake (or any other slaying device) wasn't looming behind them.

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points

Last edited by Brokyn on Tue May 06, 2003 8:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Tue May 06, 2003 8:29 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
And don't you think a Protection From Evil spell would kind of hurt the casting Vampire?

Who says vampires are necessarily evil? Wink BTW, vast knowledge of vampires from what source? My personal fave of all the vampire multiverse are those from V:TM. And, vampires from V:TM are not necessarily evil by any means.

This all said, I'd like, personally, to stick with original feels for our races as much as we can. If something like a vampire enters stage right, I'd like them to be a very new and original form of one rather than a hack from vampire lore or vampire games.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Tue May 06, 2003 8:37 pm    Post subject:

Vast knowledge.. from.. well, a lot of sources, but, like you, my favourite formating is from V:tM (though some of my last post's assumptions come from a variety of other sources). Didn't think anybody else was into that, so I thought I'd try and stump someone with that question. Confused

And I agree with you on keeping the races as they are. I realize that in my original post I may of come across as.. "Hey, look it me -- this is what I want, accomodate me!" .. and I apologize. I just get ideas and, since Haelrahv is so fresh and new, think that they can be worked in somewhere, somehow, sometime.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Wed May 07, 2003 5:28 am    Post subject:

Na, it's cool. We just have to remember that not every good idea fits the world we're working with, just because it's a good idea in general. Wink

And I haven't played V:TM in a while but I was very much into it and still love it. I usually played a Tremere or a Setite. <grin>

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
HR-Arden

Post Posted: Wed May 07, 2003 6:44 am    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
And I haven't played V:TM in a while but I was very much into it and still love it. I usually played a Tremere or a Setite.

LARP ALERT! ::sirens!::
 Back to top »
desiree

Post Posted: Wed May 07, 2003 7:07 am    Post subject:

I love the races so far, I think fleshing them out is a great idea. I'd love to help with this by the way.

However, I was just thinking that it would be FUN to have a 'darker' race. Being Vampires would limit the creativity but making a whole new race which is a bit 'darker' would really be a fun addition.

Maybe the darker race could only go out at night and have a penalty for going out in the daylight without covering themselves. They could morph into something else at certain times of the month, like a winged demon or something. They could evolve perhaps as they advance in the game slowly changing into some hideous beast... I think that would be very, very cool.

But again, its probably best to make sure the current races have some history before making new races. NO offense to DR but most of the races are still not completely fleshed out, they left alot up to the players and now they are trying to make changes and people are getting upset. Like finding out Elves only live 400 years and don't have silver tears. Many of us role-played the silver tears and being somewhat immortal. So, I think having good solid race development is a great idea.
HR-Morrigan

Post Posted: Wed May 07, 2003 2:41 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
And I haven't played V:TM in a while but I was very much into it and still love it. I usually played a Tremere or a Setite. <grin>

Tzimese all the way! best Clan ever! woot! and not those wussy old school ones either Razz

Had to throw my two cents in, I love White Wolf games Very Happy

Morrigan Blackfury
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Wed May 07, 2003 3:30 pm    Post subject:

As far as favourite V:tM clans go, I have to say the the Toreador kicked major ass. I'm one of those people that enjoy playing the moderately neutral characters that may have their darker moments whenever they feel like it. That, and their aristocratic feel was always great fun to play (and that holier-than-thou attitude was a good side benefit).

As to the "dark race" idea, I'd like to throw in my support for this (of course, after all the current races are covered and happy). I'm not so sure about the concept of a gradual evolution of an alternative form, though, unless the bonuses (if any) were closely monitored and kept in check. Now, maybe with time (read: levels) their beast form gets more detail. As in.. maskings/markings, more elaborate coat/feather/flesh/whatever colourings, mysterious eye adjectives, etc etc.

::Pause:: Maybe my proposed Avians can be the Evil Race? Very Happy ..Even though they were pretty much stolen from Eaxia, but we'll just conceal that fact, right?

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
Brenton
/fidget

Post Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 8:34 pm    Post subject:

Is it just me or does this sound like a really good theme for an Order? Think about it...you could have your own shadowy part of town that normal humans dare not enter =d, and of course this could end up spawning an anti-vampire order, huzzah! Theres some good PvP conflict, personally I would think the guardian would be an anti-vampire....not make such a good vampire, because after all they are a holy order right?
 Back to top »
BlueEyes

Post Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 8:45 pm    Post subject:

Woohoo go guardians! Guns are for wuses! lol jk.
My body is a leathal weapon.
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Role-playing & Socialization » Character Concept - Vampire
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: