FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Genders
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Player-Created Polls » Genders
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you be willing to play a character of the opposite sex?
Yes
49%
 49%  [ 39 ]
No
35%
 35%  [ 28 ]
Maybe so
15%
 15%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 79

Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 2:55 pm    Post subject: Genders

Just curious what the general concensus would be toward a male player sitting behind a female character.. or vice versa. A friend was talking to me about how unfair the social stigma generally is for males playing females, whereas females can freely play males without any teasing or anything (this is for the non-FE mudds.. just plain text RPing through Instant Messaging, emails, boards, or whatever).

Since then, I've been thinking about making a female Darju Agent (you will all fear her l33t h4x0r skills and pirating glee, if she doesn't come out as a male anyway). I'm pretty sure that, judging by the somewhat "cliques" that have been posting, that the general community of Haelrahvians won't really mind, per se. But I think it's still an interesting topic of interest.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Morrigan

Post Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 3:50 pm    Post subject:

I'm all for guys playing chicks, I've known more males that play females than vise versa. It's the RP that counts, no? As for me, I've played a few male chars but I usually stick to females, who usually are pretty butch and most think are guys anyway...but that's beside the point Wink

Morrigan Blackfury
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 5:53 pm    Post subject:

I don't generally play females at all, but only because I don't feel I play a convincing one or really enjoy playing as one. But there's certainly nothing at all with playing a different gender.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Looloo304d

Post Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 7:11 pm    Post subject:

Well, I usually stick to female characters, just because, as a female, I have more experience with that. ::grins:: I can play all different ages though. I have played a few male characters, but they usually tend to be younger, simply because I'm with teenage boys all day everyday and can imitate them. ::grins:: But I have absolutely no problem with guys playing gals and vice versa.
Melanie

Post Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 7:06 pm    Post subject:

I've played males in the past, but I'm horrid at it. All of my male characters giggled and snuggled everyone and about got killed by every other male they met.

So I stick to females...it's safer for me.
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 8:08 pm    Post subject:

Alright.. so far, it seems that the main thing holding people back from playing characters of the opposite sex is basically not knowing how that sex operates. That's interesting -- I would've thought it to simply not wanting to seem "not right" or simply against the norm.

We all (well, most of us) see males and females everyday, so, at least in my case, I've almost first hand experience on how females act and speak and get what they want (women dominate my school for some reason.. imagine that). They're wily in their seductive ways, or shy to the point that it makes you do almost anything to get them to break a smile in your direction, but, no matter what, they generally just don't outright tell you what to do to please them. Emotions are endless, and let's not forget the endless mind games you women like to play.

For guys, I'll admit it's a bit harder.. we're more straight-forward and we generally don't enjoy expressing emotions past anger, rage, and the glee that fills us when watching sports ( ::gag:: Sports suck, by the way, but that's another issue). This would be hard for a female that's rather secretive and filled with emotions in real life, I suppose.

--William, who will enjoy the RPing challenge of taking on a female character

PS: Don't smite me for my general analysis above -- I understand that exceptions are abound in everyday life, though they are rare in comparison.

PPS: I just surpassed Dragoonseal in number of posts. Shocked

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Arden

Post Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 10:05 pm    Post subject:

I usually have one female character, and one male. I don't find it difficult to play a male. I don't think there is that much of a difference, although I don't usually act sterotypically girly in the first place.

I think it is fun to play something completely unlike yourself.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
HR-Draxx

Post Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 11:33 pm    Post subject:

I agree with Miss Arden. It is fun to play something completely unlike yourself. The one time I did play a female, I discovered that playing a female character is kind of easier, since the males are nice to you, hit on you, and give you stuff so that you'll like them. Laughing That usually doesn't happen the other way around. Heh, heh...
 Back to top »
Mausumi

Post Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 11:46 pm    Post subject:

I've had an occasional male character but I never keep them. The first time I giggle I go and kill myself, since I have this slight thing about giggling men. It just throws me off. The occasional time I have played past the giggling stage, it wasn't that much harder. Was kinda fun to have the new perspective, but all in all I have to say I much prefer being female...I don't have to kill myself when I giggle.
HR-Beau
The Good Fairy

Post Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 10:28 am    Post subject:

And just what is wrong with giggling males?
*giggles*
If there is one thing in the world that I know, love conquers all, it trancends time and space, defies all odds, and can bring you back from the darkness, it is the guiding light that helps bring you in from the rough stormy seas of life, and it remains even after you have gone.
~ Adam ~

www.angeluserratus.net
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dragoonseal

Post Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Everything Beau, everything.
HR-Beau
The Good Fairy

Post Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Fine fine, just ruin my reason for living!

*runs off crying*
If there is one thing in the world that I know, love conquers all, it trancends time and space, defies all odds, and can bring you back from the darkness, it is the guiding light that helps bring you in from the rough stormy seas of life, and it remains even after you have gone.
~ Adam ~

www.angeluserratus.net
 Back to top »
Mausumi

Post Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 4:22 am    Post subject:

HR-Beau wrote:
And just what is wrong with giggling males?
*giggles*

*shudders* that so just sent shivers up my spine, and NOT in a good way.
HR-Arden

Post Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 6:00 am    Post subject:

I really don't see the big deal. Everyone needs a good giggle now and then.

Arden
 Back to top »
HR-Aisling

Location: Here, there and everywhere. (somewhere in Haelrahv)

Post Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 7:37 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Just curious what the general concensus would be toward a male player sitting behind a female character.. or vice versa.

Well personally I have no problem with people rpg’ing other sexes.

However I have had people tell me about their horror stories, of when they married Miss whatever and found out so many weeks/months/years later that Miss whatever was really a bloke playing a female.

Oh the shock and horror!!

Thing is if you play a role-play game things like that should be expected. Why do things have to be so linear that females play females and males play males? Where’s the fun of that?

Giggling guy’s? So long as they aren’t trying to kill me while they are giggling I don’t see what’s wrong with it…. Now that would be creepy… Shocked

As to me playing a male I normally give it a go with most games I play, but it normally ends up with more females in my character creation slots than males… I mean I play Mr whatever and still want to shop and shop and shop, plus I’m not too sure if ball gown’s and pretty dresses are in, with male characters… (as in the male character wearing them that is…)
Laughing
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Player-Created Polls » Genders
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: