Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Arts and Crafts
Goto page 1, 2  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Artisans » Arts and Crafts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 1:58 pm    Post subject: Arts and Crafts

Obviously our Artisans are going to be the foremost experts in pottery/sculpting, painting, drawing, tailoring, woodworking(?), and probably every other non-electronic based craft and design, so I figured I'd offer up a list of possibilities to tie in a few of these skills (though none of them should be restricted to just Artisans, in my opinion, but they should still be better at it than most anyone else). Some of these I'm pretty sure are already in the works, but what the hell.

*Calligraphy -- "beautiful handwriting"; able to artistically and aesthetically draw one's language. Would probably involve the Drawing skill, as well as Coordination and Perception.

*Face Painting -- fluff, indeed, but could become pretty fun after awhile. Would involve Perception, Coordination, and Painting. Possible designs based on level and race, as well as skill.

*Portraits/Landscapes -- self explanitory.. could also be pretty fun; either drawn or painted.

*Glass Blowing -- basically shaping molted glass into a desired shape. Would definantly involve the Sculpting skill, and, based on information provided by TV, would need quite a bit of Strength and overall stamina to go from stage to stage of the development.

*Stained Glass -- kind of unsure if this could be implemented easily for installation in peoples' homes, but could probably be a part of Glass Blowing, I guess.

*Fiber Weaving -- tapestry making (flags, banners, et al), as well as making non-leather based clothing. Really just a sub-level of Tailoring, I guess.

*Jewelry and Adornments -- self explanitory, I think. Someone gives you a gem, you take a little time to making a special necklace, ring, bracelet, choker, or whatever for it, they give you money, you rejoice.

*Leather -- tanning, basically. Yay. Let's get this out faster than it took the evil DR people to. Very Happy

*Musical Instruments -- I would expect Performers to get a rivalling bonus to this, if only because they're the foremost experts in it, but Artisans would get a little bit, too, right? Craftsman and all that..

*Plants -- who wouldn't enjoy a little floral arranging in the vases in their homes? Or a feng-shui arrangement in their gardens and backyards? HGTV, here we come.

*Perfumes/Colognes, Soaps, Incense -- people have to stay (or smell) clean and relaxed somehow, right?

*Toys -- Santa!

*Swords & Knives/Metalsmithing -- Forging for one and all!

*Furniture -- benches, picnic tables, couches/chairs/loveseats/etc (cushions to be made under the fiber weaving or leather system). So many things, so little time.

*Plumbing -- ...Just kidding. I swear.

Hm. Enjoy

--William, passing the time

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Arden

Post Posted: Tue May 20, 2003 11:46 pm    Post subject:

Not exactly sure how I missed this, but thanks for all of the ideas. I have been planning on a few of those.

Jewelry, as you know, is being planned by Hunter and Morrigan, because they're awesome.

My first priorities are pottery, painting, and gardening, but right after that I'd like to get started on tailoring and plumbing. I mean, glass blowing.

What do you think about some kind of photography system?

Arden
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Wed May 21, 2003 5:47 am    Post subject:

A photography system would be really neat, I think. But, thanks to my limited view on how things can be done (thanks, Simu!), I don't see how it'll work outside of just copying and pasting the room description onto a little card. So doing things like poses, hand gestures.. I don't know how you'll work those in, but you will be worshipped as a god if you can.

If you are able to work out a way to take the pictures, I ask that there be a way to take the "natural pictures" as well. I don't know what else to call them.. but you know those obviously zoomed-in pictures of butterflies, trees, and pretty much everything else, and people come up with artistic names for them? That'd be interesting to see everyone's reactions to someone taking a picture of them.. only to find that the photographer zoomed in on their left eye as some kind of statement. Very Happy

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Arden

Post Posted: Wed May 21, 2003 7:32 am    Post subject:

Brokyn wrote:
A photography system would be really neat, I think. But, thanks to my limited view on how things can be done (thanks, Simu!), I don't see how it'll work outside of just copying and pasting the room description onto a little card. So doing things like poses, hand gestures.. I don't know how you'll work those in, but you will be worshipped as a god if you can.

I hadn't even thought about incorporating actions beyond if a person was sitting/standing/lying and what they were sitting/lying on. I think it would be slightly difficult, but I'm pretty sure I could make it work. Depending on what action they last made right before the picture was snapped, it could look like:

You see a picture of Arden Sutherland (sitting on a penguin) and smiling.
She has deep brown eyes, a fair complexion, etc.
She is wearing some lederhosen, etc.

Brokyn wrote:
If you are able to work out a way to take the pictures, I ask that there be a way to take the "natural pictures" as well. I don't know what else to call them.. but you know those obviously zoomed-in pictures of butterflies, trees, and pretty much everything else, and people come up with artistic names for them? That'd be interesting to see everyone's reactions to someone taking a picture of them.. only to find that the photographer zoomed in on their left eye as some kind of statement. Very Happy

It would be possible to take photographs of objects in rooms, other than just people. I don't know about zooming in on objects, but zooming in on people should be doable.

Other than the actual picture-taking itself, I was thinking that most of the procedure required for creating pictures would need to be done in a dark room. There you could use certain techniques to change the appearance of the picture. Like, use toners to alter the color, over and under expose, enlarge, etc. This would probably take a lot of skill, so people without the skill could pay someone to develop their pictures for them. Another way for Artisans to make some money. Smile

Arden
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Wed May 21, 2003 3:08 pm    Post subject:

...Why does it seem that Artisans are going to have more money than Bureaucrats? Confused

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Arden

Post Posted: Wed May 21, 2003 3:21 pm    Post subject:

All of the professions should be pretty balanced. There are pluses and minuses for everyone. Smile
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Wed May 21, 2003 3:44 pm    Post subject:

Heh.

Another question, though, Arden. What's going to be the significance to having more Painting and Drawing skill? Will the length of the LOOK be increased in proportion to the amount of skill (ie, ten more characters per skill rank.. or something)? Or am I supposed to think outside the box for the answer?

Also.. will Artisans (or, really, anybody else) be able to paint their homes, both interior and exterior?

Will we eventually be able to build onto our homes, too? Not full room add-ons, but more like adjusting the trim, adding new siding, etc. Or would this be too much of a hastle to code and actually do?

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Arden

Post Posted: Wed May 21, 2003 4:05 pm    Post subject:

Brokyn wrote:
What's going to be the significance to having more Painting and Drawing skill? Will the length of the LOOK be increased in proportion to the amount of skill (ie, ten more characters per skill rank.. or something)?

One of the advantages will be a decrease in the time it takes you to paint something. The longer the description, the longer it will take. There won't be any limit to the length (within reason, of course, we don't want you to end up sitting there in RT for an entire day, nor is anyone going to want to actually read that description)

Also, the paintings will be described by adjective depending on how they turn out. Eventually, you'll stop ending up with horrible paintings, and get maginificent ones instead. Of course, better paintings will sell for more money.

For example...

a horrible painting

(look painting)

You see a horrible painting of a cactus, painted in shades of blue and yellow.

Brokyn wrote:
Also.. will Artisans (or, really, anybody else) be able to paint their homes, both interior and exterior?

Will we eventually be able to build onto our homes, too? Not full room add-ons, but more like adjusting the trim, adding new siding, etc. Or would this be too much of a hastle to code and actually do?

Personally, I would like to see this in the future. I know a lot of people get bored with things easily, so it would be nice to be able to modify things to suit your current tastes. The concept could be easily dismissed as too complicated, but I'd like to give it some thought eventually, and find a way to make it work.

Arden
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Wed May 21, 2003 7:13 pm    Post subject:

Ok, so if I'm understanding this correctly.. with enough skill, your paintings won't adjectively be horrible anymore. So eventually you could actually have a magnificent painting of a cactus that's blue and yellow, also? It's a stupid question, but someone would ask it if I didn't.. so I'm saving someone else's reputation in the process. ::Humanitarian::

Or.. are you saying that the system could actually mix up a few colours if your skill is too low? I doubt this possibility, if only because there're way too many shades, tints, and other variations to every colour for something like this (read: one system within a larger universe, where there are limited resources to draw from) to happen.

--William

PS: If you were to bring in the house modification stuff, I'd like to suggest being able to paint a mural on one of the walls (interior or exterior), as well as simple designs -- think Frank from TLC's Trading Spaces.

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Arden

Post Posted: Wed May 21, 2003 7:19 pm    Post subject:

Brokyn wrote:
Ok, so if I'm understanding this correctly.. with enough skill, your paintings won't adjectively be horrible anymore. So eventually you could actually have a magnificent painting of a cactus that's blue and yellow, also? It's a stupid question, but someone would ask it if I didn't.. so I'm saving someone else's reputation in the process. ::Humanitarian::

Correct. Of course, there will be more skill levels than just 'horrible' and 'magnificent.' Smile

Arden
 Back to top »
HR-Draxx

Post Posted: Thu May 22, 2003 6:59 am    Post subject:

You should add in Underwater Basket Weaving to that list. That would be cool to watch. ::nods sagely::
 Back to top »
desiree

Post Posted: Thu May 22, 2003 7:17 am    Post subject:

I am very interested in the tailoring aspect and cannot wait to see how that turns out.
HR-Satia

Post Posted: Tue May 27, 2003 7:40 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I am very interested in the tailoring aspect and cannot wait to see how that turns out.

What timing Smile Funny that you ask because as of yesterday, I've taken on tailoring. YAY! I'm really excited about this, but there is a ton of work to do. At this point, it's still a bunch of ideas, but I envision the system to have it so that you can harvest your own material (or buy it for a price), spin your own thread/yarn (or buy), loom it into cloth, sew it using skill-based patterns, dye it (or leave it 'natural' colored), and highly skilled tailors will even be able to embroider details. Tools will be required. Like I said, it's still a bunch of ideas at this point so if there is something that you absolutely can't live without, now would be a great time to share so that I have a chance to consider it before implementation.

Thanks much for your help,
-Satia
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Tue May 27, 2003 9:13 pm    Post subject:

Just some ideas.

Would it be possible to rent a work area, that would provide the tools necessary for several of the tailoring processes (threading, looming, et al) for a period of time? This would help those who probably won't have the money to purchase the needed tools and such in the beginning of their clothier careers. Not to mention that it'll add the atmosphere of working in a sweatshop, which is always a plus. However, if the tools cannot be provided, the workshop itself would be nice... it'll encourage people to not make clothes in front of the hospital. ::Cough!::

This doesn't have to be a priority, but could it eventually be possible to make clothing tailored to a specific race (read: racially specific). I honestly don't understand how a Jaddan could wear the same thing an Alteri could (pick the relative "extreme-races" for whatever game you come from). It's a rather anal-retentive thing to put in, but you have to admit that it adds that splash of realism that games tend to lack.

As a spin-off of the above, I'd be interested in seeing Artisans being able to "take-in" pants and such. All that would be required is that the Artisan take the measurements of the customer and, though professional magic, add the adjective "snug" to it. Now, if it's possible to code, I'd rather it not say "snug" when not worn by that specific person. Example:

Quote:
Bureaucrat Joe gets Artisan Jane to take-in his slacks for his first court appearance. Jane takes Joe's measurements and tells him to come back in about an hour. Jane, with the help of her workshop (..hint hint..) does as requested.. applying Joe's unique measurements to the slacks. Now, to the public eye, they just look like a pair of slacks when hung on Jane's rack (You see a pair of black slacks) -- who would know that they were snug to begin with? But, when Joe tries them on, it's obvious to see that they are snug (He is wearing a snug pair of black slacks). And, if anybody other than Joe were to try them on, they would no longer be snug (S/he is wearing a pair of black slacks).

Does that make any sense at all?

To what extent do you plan on allowing player alterations to go? I'd really be satisfied with just messing with the LOOK itself without messing with the TAP (eh..). The only problem there is that people could pull details out of their ass that make no sense. Which, as we all know, gets annoying and stupid quite fast.

Ehm. That's about all for now, I guess. ::Blank stare::

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
desiree

Post Posted: Wed May 28, 2003 4:58 pm    Post subject:

I am interested in tailoring. I like the idea of everything you've mentioned so far. I just hope we can gather silk, satin, lace, cotton, different types of fur, leathers and so on. I also hope we can add different kinds of laces, beads, bells buttons and so forth so that each person can make something completely unique. Maybe some materials and items should be for higher level tailors.

I also like the idea of having 'race' specific sizes like Brokyn mentioned. Or maybe altering a detail in a cloak that someone bought or even changing the fit so that it can be worn by different races.

I hope there will be plenty of gems, colors, materials and so forth to use so we can be creative. I was in fact a tailor in UO and I didn't mind gathering the materials but of course we were very limited in what we could tailor.

I will also be dabbling in other professions so I hope its not too time consuming.
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Artisans » Arts and Crafts
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: