FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Lockpicking and Unlock
Goto page 1, 2  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Suggestions and Ideas » Lockpicking and Unlock
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Denavae
Lookit the flowers!

Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:38 am    Post subject: Lockpicking and Unlock

I'm pretty sure this has come up once or twice in the past ... at least I think I recall reading a post about this once or twice.

Anyways, what I wanted to suggest was getting some type of messaging for failed lockpicking and/or unlocking attempts. Just to let you know if you have a chance to unlock the box or not. In my professional experience, any locksmith with even a basic tutelage under his belt knows how close he is at picking a lock. Generally you can "feel" the tumblers click into place and can tell when you accidentally mess up. So it wouldn't be too farfetched to be able to know without a doubt that you can/can't pick a box through attempting it.

Unlocking should work similarly. From my understanding, a psion uses his/her mental powers to manipulate the tumblers in a lock. At least, that's the RP I go with when using unlock. When Vae can't get the lock, it's because he just can't manipulate those one or two tumblers into place.

Now, I don't remember the fail messaging for lockpicking, but unlock just says, "Nothing happens." Pretty disappointing if you ask me. I'd much rather see something like:

Code:
You focus your mind and reach within a waterlogged chest to attempt to unlock it ...
Roundtime: 10 sec.

Fumbling with the tumblers, you manage to shift a few of the tumblers into place, but soon realize you have little chance of doing the same with the rest.

Code:
You focus your mind and reach within a waterlogged chest to attempt to unlock it ...

Using your mind, you manage to shift all the tumblers into position, soon rewarded with a soft *click* as the lock engages.

Honestly, the lockpicking system leaves much to be desired. Giving it more indepth messaging, as well as more traps, and more ways to circumvent those traps (i.e. the disarm traps power) would be a great start.

BoonDock Saints wrote:
When I raise my flashing sword, and my hand takes hold on judgment, I will take vengeance upon mine enemies, and I will repay those who haze me. Oh, Lord, raise me to Thy right hand and count me among Thy saints.
 Back to top »
Seth Ventril
Disenfranchised Shadow

Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject:

I forget which game I played (prolly DR), but you could scan a box and mark it for others to see what kind of trap was on it, and what monster it came from (that may have just been looking at the box). But also, you could kinda get an appraisal on how well you'd do trying to disarm/lockpick. While it would be cool if failed messaging was grander than "You fail to pick an acid-pitted eorae strongbox", I'd prefer something you could use from the get, like a scan command which would reveal some details about the box.

Code:
>scan lock
You scan over a lockbox and quickly ascertain the following details:
This lockbox was attained from an Alajsh Stalker
Given your skill, you have a highly successful chance of picking this box

Assassin: That's a good point...The creed is..."Stick them with the pointy end." - Ctrl+Alt+Del parody of Assassin's Creed.
---
TELEPATHY [close]:  Yaru Dex - "Great now you made Mickey cry. Thanks a lot, Seth."
---
Korell Ventril exclaims, "Choo ain no guard! Choo a crackhead!"
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject:

[10.17.07] The Unlock power has been dramatically modified:
- The skill needed to release a lock has been dramatically lowered.
- The focus cost per use of the power has been dramatically increased.
- The psionic will now be provided with messaging that gives an idea of how close they were to releasing a lock on a failed attempt.

I'm going to look into more information for Agents, as well.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Seth Ventril
Disenfranchised Shadow

Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject:

Awesome man!
Assassin: That's a good point...The creed is..."Stick them with the pointy end." - Ctrl+Alt+Del parody of Assassin's Creed.
---
TELEPATHY [close]:  Yaru Dex - "Great now you made Mickey cry. Thanks a lot, Seth."
---
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject:

[10.17.07] Messaging that details the likelihood of success has been added to lockpicking, on a failed attempt.

I didn't add something to tell where a box came from because SENSE already does this.

Back to top »
Seth Ventril
Disenfranchised Shadow

Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject:

Khaz Box:

You get a steel W rake pick from inside your master kit and begin picking a weather-beaten haeleio chest.

You get a wishbone tension wrench from inside your master kit and continue picking a weather-beaten haeleio chest.
You fail to pick open the haeleio chest.
It will take a bit of luck to pick this lock.

Pretty cool.
---
---
 Back to top »
Denavae
Lookit the flowers!

Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject:

Code:
Closing your eyes, you begin to draw into your mind and invoke the Unlock power.
Roundtime: 5 sec.
>
Spell preparation time: 8 sec.
>
You complete your invocation.
>focus my chest
>
>
You don't seem to be able to manipulate the lock well enough to release it.
It would probably take a miracle for you to manage to get this lock open.

Bad ass, Trevor. Thanks bunches!

However, I'm kinda of concerned with the dramatically increased focus cost. It used to take about five percent of my focus to attempt to open a box ... now it drains about 26%. That's a quarter of my focus just to open a box. I wouldn't object so much if it also disarmed traps in the same shot, but to me, it's no longer a viable means of opening my own boxes. I'd only be able to do three or four, then I'd have to stop and wait for a few minutes, then resume. Mebbe if you could explain the reasoning behind making this move so I could understand it better?

BoonDock Saints wrote:
When I raise my flashing sword, and my hand takes hold on judgment, I will take vengeance upon mine enemies, and I will repay those who haze me. Oh, Lord, raise me to Thy right hand and count me among Thy saints.
 Back to top »
indigone
Mild mannered thinker

Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject:

While I appreciate the change to unlock, won't I still need to train up security just as high in order to see and disarm traps?
"Woke up late one Thursday, and I'm seeing stars as I'm rubbing my eyes. And I felt like there were two days missing, as I focused on the time. And I made my way to the kitchen, but I had to stop from the shock of what I found, a room full of all of my friends dancing round and round and round. And I thought hello new shoes, Bye-Bye blues!"

- Paolo Nutini
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the feedback.

Focus cost: Completely intended as this ability essentially replaces an entire highly trained skill and encroaches on one of the Agent specialties.

Disarming: There's a disarm traps ability, which I'll look at implementing. It will also have a high focus cost, though I may juggle those costs for each of these abilities around some.

Between the two, you won't need Security skill. Instead, you offset that with an ability that's less readily usable unless you have only a box or two.

Back to top »
Denavae
Lookit the flowers!

Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject:

Ah, gotcha. Highly understandable, and thanks again!

BoonDock Saints wrote:
 Back to top »
indigone
Mild mannered thinker

Post Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
Disarming: There's a disarm traps ability, which I'll look at implementing. It will also have a high focus cost, though I may juggle those costs for each of these abilities around some.

mmmm.... new abilities.... mmmmm

Thanks Smile

:pushes the envelope: Now, if only there were some defensive abilities, Xil could be the pure psionic she always dreamed of.
"Woke up late one Thursday, and I'm seeing stars as I'm rubbing my eyes. And I felt like there were two days missing, as I focused on the time. And I made my way to the kitchen, but I had to stop from the shock of what I found, a room full of all of my friends dancing round and round and round. And I thought hello new shoes, Bye-Bye blues!"

- Paolo Nutini
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject:

In similar vein, two new trap types were introduced last night. One on low level boxes, one on higher end boxes.

Back to top »
Seth Ventril
Disenfranchised Shadow

Post Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject:

Trevor...I love you. Question though. Do the lower end traps ONLY appear on low end boxes?
---
---
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject:

The "drunk" trap only appears on low level boxes.

Back to top »
indigone
Mild mannered thinker

Post Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
The "drunk" trap only appears on low level boxes.

I found two new traps on Khaz boxes.

Fun.

- Paolo Nutini
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Suggestions and Ideas » Lockpicking and Unlock
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: