FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Crafting
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » "Live" Discussions » Crafting
View previous topic :: View next topic  

I prefer... (see text for descriptions!)
Simple crafting systems
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
Complex crafting systems
77%
 77%  [ 17 ]
I hate crafting! (sez grouchy smurf)
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 22

HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Crafting

Crafing: a subject Yaru will surely have an opinion on (wait, is there one he's doesn't?! Wink

Anyway, crafting. There are two distinct types of crafting system.

1. The simple system: Stuff like TAILOR where you have a one-size fits all sort of approach and no real research is necessary for the staff building the system. Even if there are multiple steps, you don't have to thread a needle, cut material, etc etc manually. You simply use a command and the right resources and you get a product.

As a pro to players, it also means less commands you have to remember.

2. The complex system: Many steps, many commands. Lots of messaging, but lots of research needed by most staff members. Most of us don't have an innate knowledge of bookbinding, candlemaking, or blacksmithing. The pro is that it's flavorful and immersive. The cons are that these systems take far longer to develop and they require players to learn and remember a complex set of steps.

So, which do you prefer? I can honestly say that if the masses prefer the complex system, we will lean that way in development. I can also say that if that's the case, it will take much more time to create these crafting systems, which could mean the difference between being able to take part in a half dozen types of crafting and several dozen different types of crafting.

So, your thoughts?

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject:

i'd like complex but less in a "make it super realistic" sense and more in the "i want to do more than type tailor backpack five times" sense.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject:

There is a middle ground, option, too. One where you must forge or carve framing (but simply, i.e. FORGE BACKPACK FRAME, etc.), tailor some straps, forge a buckle, and then tailor the backpack, having all the above parts available. They're still simplistic commands, but a somewhat complex process.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Denavae
Lookit the flowers!

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject:

I like the complex systems; to me makes it more immersive and in my opinion special. Or rather, the middle ground, where you pin a pattern to fabric, trim the fabric, make straps, make buckles (or buy) and then tailor backpack to get an unfinished backpack, sew strap to backpack and attach buckles to backpack to get a working super backpack of exorbitant quality. I'd also like to see pockets being put into normal tailored goods if you want them. And compartments and things in containers.

BoonDock Saints wrote:
When I raise my flashing sword, and my hand takes hold on judgment, I will take vengeance upon mine enemies, and I will repay those who haze me. Oh, Lord, raise me to Thy right hand and count me among Thy saints.
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject:

I vote for complex since it'd give more options in terms of not making people so cookie-cutter and will let everyone be that much more unique and special.

However, the only thing I'm worried about is that craft systems can very easily and quickly become TOO complex. So much so that new players are completely overwhelmed and just don't want to fool with it because it's just so daunting.

So the middle ground approach would probably be more appropriate. So long as there's an in-game method of learning how to make most items. Like with your backpack example, there could be a pamphlet in the artisan guildhall or wherever that gives you the basic steps or tells you from which (local) stores you can purchase the pieces from.

And then after they get used to that, they can start experimenting on their own and hopefully start uncovering a more complex and player-driven tailoring system. Where they're making all the pieces themselves in order to create a super quality item with special properties (higher capacity, for the backpack example).

So I guess I'm looking at a compromise between complex and middle-ground. The middle-ground would be for introducing people to the system, and eventually they can start delving into the complex areas of that craft in order to make awesome stuff.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
Morgana

Post Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject:

I'd love for the tailors to be able to cobble. Sandals, heels, sneakers, stilettos, flip flops etc.

And then of course making hats. Baseball hats, cowboy hats, bonnets, straw hats, floppy hats etc.
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject:

Mmm... cowboy hats.

To make a long story short, don't tell it.

I may be going nowhere, but I'm going nowhere fast.
---
Kelvin Watt says, "I stopped drinking coke when no longer drinking beer didn't make my gut disappear."
---
Kaelin Rae says, "Wait a minute..."
Kaelin Rae says, "You mean they have a COKE machine that dispenses beer."
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
Kaelin Rae says, "Greaser."
Kaelin Rae looks at you and sighs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tygerwulf
Teh Pink Assassin.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject:

I hate crafting.
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » "Live" Discussions » Crafting
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: