Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Quests
Goto page 1, 2  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » "Live" Discussions » Quests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Quests

So, how do you all feel about quests? Do you like to have lots and lots of quests available, or do you tend to avoid them?

A goal I have for Live is to make the creation of quests as easy as possible for staff. Building quests can be time consuming, so any tools I can create to make that easier will lead to more quests being built.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject:

There should be a compromise between lots of tiny (yet interesting/fun/useful) quests and a handful of expansive (and rewarding) quests. And of course everything in between.

To define things further, and to throw a tangent into the works:

Tiny quests should be available for profession-specific advancements/upgrades (new abilities and such) as well as race-specific roleplay (e.g., eolai getting new markings). It would also be nice to have general quests to improve a person's status in a region (most of these would require specific citizenship). These are a good diversion from the daily grind of... well, grinding skills.

Expansive quests -- those that require a multi-hour commitment, as well as a sizeable group -- are nice occasionally and allow for uber items to be put into the population without too much worry about overpowering too many people. I mean, the people with the uber items had to invest a lot of time and effort into getting them, or otherwise spent a buttload of cash buying them from those that did. These quests should also be used to bolster certain storylines or the history of a region.

So, in conclusion: quests never hurt the game. The more the merrier.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject:

after finally trying out WoW (yay mac-friendly private server ::coughcough:Smile, i have to say that even quests like "go and kill X things" are more fun than just killing X things for the sake of doing so.

maybe tie it into the errand meter if it exists in Live. i'd rather have some characters prove themselves as great supporters of area X by defeating local threats as opposed to giving people hats and shoes and feathers.

expansive one times quests and furrier-style quests would make HR a lot more "fun." grinding gets boring, nomatter what game i've ever played. doing "something" makes it feel like less a grind.
Tao

Post Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject:

I think if one is on one of those multi-hour quests they should go into Quest mode and not be able to make comments or ask quesstions about the quest on the public comms/thoughts. If they need to contact someone, they could send the message privately or IM them.
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject:

Tao wrote:
I think if one is on one of those multi-hour quests they should go into Quest mode and not be able to make comments or ask quesstions about the quest on the public comms/thoughts. If they need to contact someone, they could send the message privately or IM them.

i'd rather people be encouraged not to spread secret information publicly than everyone be shut off from the world.
Tao

Post Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject:

Not really shut off, just not being able to transmit publically.
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject:

Tao wrote:
Not really shut off, just not being able to transmit publically.

Just as bad, really, considering that if a quest is a few hours long it probably doesn't mean you have to do it all at once. To me the long quests would be like the Alajsh and LACAD ones, only with a lot more steps.

Ghost house like quests (PS: bring that back i'd like to do it finally plz Very Happy) would be a different story.
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject:

Trevor, are you fishing for some quest ideas as well, or just thoughts on quests themselves?

I like that Yaru brought up WoW's quest system. And I agree that doing something similar to that -- ie., "Hay guys we got some mamajuk problems out in the swamp; bring back with you the scalps of ten of their warriors to prove that you've slain some and I'll give you this nifty prize" -- would help break up the monotony.

You feel like you've achieved something, and if you tie them into regional status it'll be even better. Making sure they're on-level (note: that doesn't necessarily mean on-skill) would be important, so you're not sending a level 13 guy up against a kucho. But otherwise they should be completely random.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject:

i also wouldn't want the non one shot quests to give money or prizes in particular

i'd want the repeatable quests the type that altered alignment, or raised (or lowered) the errand meter, and so on. maybe titles after doing X number of that task (a la stratohunters and argabu riding and so on).
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject:

I'm not fishing for quest ideas, but they certainly don't hurt either.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Wei Wao
Woah

Post Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject:

I absolutely LOVE quests. I think it's a great opportunity to be social and have fun while still doing something productive in some way. I would be very happy to see a good deal of them available in Live.

"That's not breakfast, that's a vendetta!"-Jimmy Shubert
 Back to top »
Morgana

Post Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:44 am    Post subject:

Quests!!
Love a quest, because I've rugrats underfoot (including a hubby), quest like alajsh would be great. I rarely have time to devote a planned 2 to 4 hour stint on the puter. Those times that I do get to play for longer periods is unplanned and normally because something was cancelled. I hear lots of enjoyment of the Alajsh and the 20th level quest with surprise endings. The caverns one was also fun.
Hokius

Post Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject:

I love the idea of having lots of quests. One of the biggest problems I have right now is that, though I love to RP and stuff I can't seem to find an opportunity to do anything than re-establish the fact that Hok likes to shoot his mouth off. I've been reading about this whole 'get the Darju because of Rkaren thing' which is great, but I never seem to be on when anything interesting is happening and most of those things, while very interesting and good stories and what not tend to have combat well above my level. If there were some quests with some interesting story lines that would have work for people at all levels I think that would be cool.

You can't take a girl to the Library! What? It's free? Well that's not so bad then...--David Scully as Sergeant Johnson, Halo 2 Outtake
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, cascading some quests so that they progress the detail in a storyline would be pretty neat. I'd prefer them being more like giant history lessons for their specific region. Book-learnin' is great and all, but sometimes hands-on learning is better.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
zamde
Maestro

Post Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject:

I think there's too much existing magic crap (uber or otherwise) currently, and from what I interpret of the new MEQ system there will be plenty to find. The moral of the story, I'd prefer seeing rewards to quests that fall outside of +10 treasure (which will invariably need repaired and get busted up anyhow), more akin to what some people have suggested already. Infrequent cash rewards would suit the bill for "valuables", especially since you can do a lot more with it in the long run. I'm not a personal fan of clever titles/pretitles, but things like that are still cool.

I'd also prefer a mix of small-scale and large-scale quests. The former because it benefits people without time to spare on the latter, but the latter because all the small ones get the fuck spoiler'd out of them anyway. Plus larger quests force teamwork, and forcing people to do things they don't want to makes me happy.

And yay! 200 posts!

Dixie Pierce says, "I heard Zamde can't have kids cause she lactates poison."

[Telepathy] Yaru Dex projects: I thought Zamde doesn't have kids because her womb is full of aisobs.

You can't spell "slaughter" without 'laughter'.

Llanfair Anti-Cyber Brigade Member #0000
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » "Live" Discussions » Quests
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: