FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Cosmetic Character Customization
Goto page 1, 2  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » "Live" Discussions » Cosmetic Character Customization
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Cosmetic Character Customization

Say that title ten times real quickly.

Anyway, what sort of options would you all like to see in Live for your character's appearance? For example, for hair: length, texture, style, color, highlights, accessories...

Feel free to suggest individual options too (certain colors, textures, skin complexions, etc.) Please be specific - rather than "I'd like lots of racial options!" suggest options for specific races, etc.

Yes, this means I'm dabbling with character manager code. Wink

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Denavae
Lookit the flowers!

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject:

not sure if this goes here, since it's not technically a CM option, but could we get hair styles? Say ...

>style hair topknot, ponytail, braids, etc, etc.
Denavae DeVries carefully pulls his hair up into a tight ponytail.

Cause sometimes, with waist-length hair, you just don't want to get it wet since it is a bitch to dry.

Other then that, I'd like more color choices for eyes. We've got your normal blues, greens, greys, blacks, browns, but how about gold, amber, chartuese, or even adding on a flavor to them so you can choose blue-green eyes with ... thick lashes, or a demure quality to them, or that glimmer softly from an unknown light.

I also wouldn't mind seeing more choices for faces in general. Say choices for noses (angular, lean, crooked, scarred, w/e), mouths (slighty-upturned, thin, bisected by a thin scar, lush, full, et cetera), and maybe go so far as eyebrows (thin, spidery, drawn on, bushy, et cetera). That way we could have a totally customized look sort of like ...

>look Denavae
You are Denavae DeVries, a human.
You have soft blue eyes with multi-hued irises and an alabaster complexion.
You have waist-length billowing dark brown hair pulled up into a tight ponytail (STYLE effect)
You have a delicate face with a dainty nose set above a sensual mouth.
You have a lithe build.

Just something where it gives that little extra without the need for staff intervention (aka alterers). Also, it would give a use for surgery to be able to add, change or remove certain things (including unwanted tattoos!)

That's all I can really think of for the moment.

Edited: Definantly hair highlights. <color> <style> I'd like seeing your normal colors in this; golden blonde, blonde, platinum, black, reds, et cetera, et cetera. Maybe throw in some of the more curious choices including blues, greens, pinks, colors like that.

Now I think that's all I can think of.

Edited, again: For the styles on highlights, I mean things like "blonde streaks", "Platinum chunks", et cetera. So it would show as "You have waist-length billowing dark brown hair with deep burgundy undertones."

I think that's it. I'll edit again in a few more minutes if not.
 Back to top »
Morgana

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject:

Agrees with Vae with the ability without going to the hairstylist.
Highlights would be a plus, colors that the stylists has are great.

Like to see the ability to add beads, studs, gems etc.

Code:
waist-length gently flowing crimson hair adorned with glittering halxna ropes beaded with sparkling blue star sapphires.

Denavae said:
Quote:
how about gold, amber, chartuese, or even adding on a flavor to them so you can choose blue-green eyes with ... thick lashes, or a demure quality to them, or that glimmer softly from an unknown light.

I also wouldn't mind seeing more choices for faces in general. Say choices for noses (angular, lean, crooked, scarred, w/e), mouths (slighty-upturned, thin, bisected by a thin scar, lush, full, et cetera), and maybe go so far as eyebrows (thin, spidery, drawn on, bushy, et cetera).

Be great if the medics could do that.
Denavae
Lookit the flowers!

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject:

oooh. I didn't even think of adding stuff into hair ... this coming from the person with a few strands of his hair wrapped and ending with a ring. Shocked

I love it! I wanna see that happen, too!
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject:

Ideally, I think characters should be able to alter their own hair (or alter the hair of others with permission) in basic ways, but more advanced stuff should require someone with the right skills.

Anything remotely tied to cosmetic surgery will be medic stuff.

BTW, I just wrote out some code for a relatively expansive set of eye features including variable number of eyes, mismatched eyes (with up to as many different colors as you have eyes, an eye feature (sunken, bloodshot, etc.), eye size (beady, large, squinted), and iris types.

Back to top »
Denavae
Lookit the flowers!

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Awesome!!

Now on to the face customizations! (I still think it should be an option for the CM, even if Medics can do it. Not everyone will be willing to pay for surgery and all that).

Altering hair as in .... adding beads, styles, etc? Or highlights?
 Back to top »
Tao

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject:

How about different facial hair?
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject:

If you want it, you have to be willing to pay (or make friends) for it!

Although I'm aiming to make a pretty good CMgr so you can start off looking pretty nice.

Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject:

I'm glad you brought up facial hair, Tao. Yes, there will be facial hair options. Yes, hair (facial and on your head) will grow over time, so you're not stuck with one length. Yes, you'll be able to put your hair growth on pause (in a world with so much technology and magic, surely we can do THIS of all things!)

Yes, Darju shoulder/back hair will grow, too. Wink

Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:

back/butt mullets ftw
Tao

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
I'm glad you brought up facial hair, Tao. Yes, there will be facial hair options. Yes, hair (facial and on your head) will grow over time, so you're not stuck with one length. Yes, you'll be able to put your hair growth on pause (in a world with so much technology and magic, surely we can do THIS of all things!)

Yikes. Dixie better learn how to use a laser or maybe get a part time job at Alase to learn how. I do not want any of my shoulder/back hair growing wildly. I want a fade or short tapered cut. I like my hair short on the sides and back(of my head). Will there be clippers?
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject:

Tools of all kind will be common and important in Live. Wink

Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject:

With so many options available in Live for character customization, I'd like to see either a special command or -- best option, in my opinion -- a SETting to allow you to decide if you want the laundry list of features or just the basics of a person's description.

Quote:
>LOOK ACOSAE FULL

FIFTY LINES OF TEXT ALL DESCRIBING HIS EOLAI MARKINGS AND OTHER FACIAL FEATURES, AS WELL AS THAT BIRTHMARK ON HIS BUM.

Oh and here's another fifty lines of text describing his clothes.

Whereas with the basic command (or if you had your SETting indicated you just wanted basic descriptions),

Quote:
>LOOK ACOSAE

You see Rock Star Acosae Eshai, a male Eolai.
He has blue eyes and rather pale skin.
His hair is pretty rad-looking.
He's lanky as fuck.
He stands 6'3" and looks young for an Eolai.
Intricate runic markings run from his temples to his jawline.

He is clothed. There is also a guitar slung over his shoulder.

(obviously, the clothes would still show as they would normally; I'm just too lazy to try and be witty with that part)

I'm basing the rest of this post on the idea that Eolai Markings are not a natural thing, but rather done to the Eolai to indicate certain status points. If this is off-base, ignore it. I honestly can't remember what the final decision on this was.

In the CM, I'd like for Eolai to be able to choose at least one marking. You can offer basic designs for the professions, and maybe some general ones that can indicate social status of the Eolai's family. Though I know everyone's going to pick the prestigious status marking, at least the option is there. There's also the option of markings that denote which god your Eolai associates with, as well as an agnostic/atheist marking if so desired.

Or maybe just offer general markings that don't really mean anything beyond having come-of-age to be able to actually have them.

I've got to be heading out in a few minutes or I'd sit down right now and come up with some taps for these basic designs. But something like this would be neat:

Quote:
>SHOW MARKINGS TO YARU DEX

(what Yaru sees)
Acosae Eshai displays his racial markings to you. They are done in a very dark-blue ink. Since you are not an Eolai, he explains their meaning to you.

Below his eyes are what look to be roughly drawn figure eights, with one of the loops on either one left slightly open facing downward. He tells you this is to denote his status as a fledgling Performer.

On the left side of his face, just above the temple, is a blotch of ink whose edges are swirled a little bit. He tells you this is to denote his devotion to the Eolai god Oshib.

(shitty descriptions, I'm rushed; also, "He tells you..." would be replaced with "You know this denotes..." if they are shown to fellow Eolai)

I'd like to see them alterable (I guess by specialized Eolai Artisans OR DISCIPLES DUN DUN DUNNN), so you can get a basic design when you're younger and "upgrade" it later after you achieve some requirement.

Requirements to be able to have certain markings should be based on a myriad of things; quests, skill level, stat level, promotion level, etc. There can be special ones to tie into the politics system now that it's going to be open to everyone, too. Judges, presidents, mayors, governors, lawyers, it's pretty open.

A problem that could come up is figuring out if there should be a cap on this stuff. I mean, if there are only four or five categories of markings (profession, politics, chosen skill or stat, and a misc catch-all category -- maybe a secondary chosen skill or stat, and then a general coming-of-age one), it's not that big of a deal. But if you want to keep it open and let people pick and choose as many as you want, well, it's just going to become burdensome.

Well, that train of thought got a little off-track.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
Wei Wao
Woah

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject:

Brokyn wrote:

You see Rock Star Acosae Eshai, a male Eolai.
He has blue eyes and rather pale skin.
His hair is pretty rad-looking.
He's lanky as fuck.
He stands 6'3" and looks young for an Eolai.
Intricate runic markings run from his temples to his jawline.

He is clothed. There is also a guitar slung over his shoulder.

Oh man. That made me laugh really hard.

In addition to the stuff already mentioned (that eye stuff sounds rad, btw), I would really love to see a second set of options for the body that aren't shapes. Eg: Slightly elongated limbs, stubby fingers, long torso, missing thumb, defined clavicle, six toes on the left foot, prominent hipbones, huge beefy neck, slender thighs, cankles, legs that go on for days, bony butt, wide shoulders, etc.

And I'd really like Alteri to have something about their head in place of hair. Eg: She has a speckled head, rounded head, shiny head, ect.

"That's not breakfast, that's a vendetta!"-Jimmy Shubert
 Back to top »
Denavae
Lookit the flowers!

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject:

I'm not sure I really like the SETting idea. It's a good idea to be sure, but if I get my character altered, it's not just for my pleasure. He'll also be interacting with the rest of the other people in the world ... and if they can't see something special on his person ... then what would be the reason to even get it done?

However, the Eolai markings are a pretty good idea, though I think I'd rather see them as racial quests instead of an option during the character manager. Only reason I say this, is because not everyone reads the lore involved when they make a character, and just jump in. If they do that, they run the risk of accidentally picking a 'bad' marking just because it looks neat to them. As a quest, they could actually get a lesson in what said marking means. Still have the choices available so it's not all the exact same, but maybe have the options available limited due to the way the quest was handled.

As for what a character wears ... I REALLY think there needs to be a limit on this. It's all great and dandy having the neatest things in the world, but it's rather ridiculous to have a descript so long that I can't even see what the character looks like when it scrolls past my window. Yes, this is a personal choice to wear as much crap as possible, but still. I may not be the best person to ask about "clothing lengths" since I make sure to stick under four or five lines. But wearing eighteen bracelets or other random things seems a bit much.

But hey, that's just my opinion ... and I digress from the actual topic.
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » "Live" Discussions » Cosmetic Character Customization
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: