FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Progression.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » "Live" Discussions » Progression.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Progression.

Looking for feedback! Quiz time! Anyone who answers every question will receive a RPA, please note your character's name. One per account holder, please. If you don't want to note your character name, or prefer to reply in private, please PM me your details.

Assuming constant gameplay here, no breaks.... how long do you think it should take to:

1. Go from level 1 to 10?
2. Go from level 1 to 50?
3. Go from level 1 to 100?
4. Go from level 1 to 200?

5. Go from 0 ranks of skill to 1?
6. Go from 0 ranks of skill to 10?
7. Go from 0 ranks of skill to 50?
8. Go from 0 ranks of skill to 100?
9. Go from 0 ranks of skill to 300?
10. Go from 0 ranks of skill to 500?

11. Go from level 1, 0 skill in everything to level 50, and most skills 200+?
12. Go from level 1, 0 skill in everything to level 200, and most skills 500+?

13. To feel like you've found most of the amazing items you'll probably ever find?

14. To reach the point where you can't possibly achieve more with your character?

15. To reach the point where you've run out of stuff to do, even using alternate characters?

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Progression.

HR-Trevor wrote:
Assuming constant gameplay here, no breaks.... how long do you think it should take to

as an aside, i'm basing this on the assumption that i'd run out of new things to do at each increment, so i wouldn't want them to take longer than this. if there's enough content to keep me trying new things and figuring out stuff, i'd be fine with the level progression taking longer.

two weeks., and i'd like to be able to go from level 1 to 2 in under 4 hours (bonus reply++).

six months.

a year

two years

i'll assume you mean by manual training for the following (instead of the point system).

30 minutes

a week

two weeks

two months

eight months

year

i'll assume just manual training for these too...

&

for the first one, i don't think it would be possible. with the amount of repittion and skill gain involved to get skills 200+, i'd expect to be well beyond level 50. that said, i'd expect it to take a really long time to get EVERYTHING to 200.

for the second, forever. i mean damn that would take a lot of scripting and repetition.

13. To feel like you've found most of the amazing items you'll probably ever find?
ehhhh... i don't think an open-ended game can really "end", so it isn't like i'd find everything. i'm sure there's a ton of stuff in HR now. i don't know about. hell, i found a voucher hiding in llanfair that was like a year+ old a month or two ago, not to mention all the scavenger hunt things i've come across every so often. as long as stuff keeps being built and new things are being added to the old, i won't find everything. so says the guy with the "look EVERYWHERE" script he spams over and over each day.

14. To reach the point where you can't possibly achieve more with your character?
i'll sneak out of replying to this straightforward-like by saying i doubt that's possible. right now i've had yaru for three+ years, and it isn't like there's much more he can do. i don't think his skills can really net him "better" results any more in most situations. maybe he'll kill faster, craft armor a bit better, and maybe dodge a voya khaz's ice attack someday, but otherwise he's pretty done in terms of progress. that said, i still play him.

15. To reach the point where you've run out of stuff to do, even using alternate characters?
with 12 (?) classes and a ton of races, i doubt that's going to happen. i'd more likely expect to get bored just restarting over and over than run out of stuff to do.
Seth Ventril
Disenfranchised Shadow

Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject:

Name: Seth Ventril

1. I like the pace of HR leveling, every level truly does feel like an accomplishment, so I would say about a month.
2. Whew...I would say about 5-6 months
3. A year-year and some change.
4. Naturally, 2 years-2years and change.

*For skill questions, I'm assuming you mean via usage and not skill points, and also assuming non-stop training just 1 skill to make sense of it*
5. Minutes
6. 20-30 minutes
7. A week, week and a half
8. About a month even (once again, nonstop training of one skill, naturally it would take longer when focusing on multiple skills)
9. 3-4 months, to reflect the difficulty and achievement in attaining such high skills.
10. A year+

11. 6-7 months, for skill training and leveling
12. 2 years and a couple months.

13. Definitely post 100, so a year or so.

14. Years. 2-3.

15. Decades, especially in an ever-shifting, ever growing environment.
Assassin: That's a good point...The creed is..."Stick them with the pointy end." - Ctrl+Alt+Del parody of Assassin's Creed.
---
TELEPATHY [close]:  Yaru Dex - "Great now you made Mickey cry. Thanks a lot, Seth."
---
Korell Ventril exclaims, "Choo ain no guard! Choo a crackhead!"
 Back to top »
Denavae
Lookit the flowers!

Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject:

Denavae DeVries

~A few weeks to one month of occasional training. I may use scripts for repetitive stuff, but I don't normally like the idea of using them, so training 24 hours 7 days a week would be practically impossible. With occasional training I mean filling my mind once every couple of hours and letting it drain while I do something else.

~Six months to a year. With the same guidelines as number 1.

~A year to two years.

~Two years to never. Some people don't play MUDs for the leveling (like me), but rather for the social interaction with like-minded people. With that in mind, some may never get to level 200 merely because they don't want to take the time to do some repetitive task to level up when roleplaying is always available.

~If we're going by usage=skills ... maybe half an hour of strict, repetitive training. Manually ... an hour.

~usage=skills I would say ... maybe five or six hours of strict, repetitive training. Manually ... However long it takes for you to level.

~A day of strict, repetitive training using the usage=skills. Otherwise, up near a week or more.

~Several weeks to a month for usage=skills. Otherwise, up to six months.

~Six months or so of usage=skills. Otherwise, up to a year.

~At least a solid year of continous training for usage=skills. Otherwise ... well, maybe a year and a half to two years.

~You would naturally gain skills as you strive to level, so you could likely get most of those combat, survival or crafting skills up fairly high. So I'd say six months of the occasional training. However, if you were striving for level 50 with 200 in every skill you want that doesn't directly relate to everyday activities ... up to a year.

~Years, if ever. Again, some people prefer the social interaction to leveling and may never see their character through to level 200.

~I don't think this is ever possible in a -good- MUD. But of course, it all depends on the individual need or desire. I'm just as happy throwing my character in boardshorts and tanktops as compared to some uber skill and stat raising tutu of doom.

~Again, in a -good- MUD, this shouldn't be possible. By the term -good- I mean a game that constantly adapts and evolves to the player base; a team of dedicated builders who strive to help create the things we as players like seeing. Anything from new systems in which to use our skills, to new areas, et cetera, et cetera. The list is endless of what could be done, therefor our characters should never reach a point where they can actually say ... "Well damn. What now?"

~I would be sorely disappointed if this EVER happened. I mean, you've got several races, several classes, alignments (which I'd like to see more done with ... evil characters get some neato place to hide out in; good characters get some other place to sit and relax, both areas with some skill/stat trainers and possibly a few quest skills) you could potentially have eight characters that are nothing alike.
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject:

Acosae Eshai rite hurr. The skill ones are probably going to sound a little odd since I'm not really sure on what the skill system is going to be like in Live. I think it's intended as 5 skill points max per skill per level -- whether through training points or actual practice -- but that may have changed since the last time I read anything about it. So my answers are a little fudgy.

Also, I'm a little lost in terms of skill training too. If all my other skills are 300+, and I suddenly decide I want to start training a completely ignored skill, am I going to have to wait the same amount of time for it be on par with my other skills? I know I can just dump training points into it so pick up the slack, but that can only speed things up so much.

Part of me wants there to be a bit of a training bonus if there's a huge discrepancy between your average skill range and something you're picking up way late in your character's life (we're talking a pretty sizeable discrepancy here, not 10 vs 1). I mean, your character would clearly have a lot of wordly knowledge by that point, so they might be able to pick up new things more quickly than someone fresh off the farm. But that could easily be abused. So I don't know.

A week, maybe two. The first ten levels are really your only chance of making a good first impression on people. They should be considered the newbie range, where things move a bit faster than they normally would.

Six months or so. After the first ten levels, things should slow down a bit.

A year

Two and a half years, maybe a little longer. After Level 100 or so, things should slow down a little more, but not incredibly so.

Ten minutes, give or take. Going along with my idea that the first ten levels should go by kind of fast.

Couple days.

Week and a half to two weeks.

Month and a half to two months.

Nine or ten months.

If 500 is intended to be the absolute max, I'd say

See Yaru's answers for this and #12. Having most skills at 200+ and only being level 50 should be pretty hard to achieve, requiring lots of maths to time everything perfectly.

See above.

Just make sure there's a nice distribution of items across the level spectrum well in advance of people reaching the required level to use them (if there is one). I'd also like to see items restricted to profession and/or race to get any kind of magical benefit out of them (you'll be able to use or wear them if you're not off that race/profession, but you won't get any benefit from them). This kind of helps with things as far as personalization and getting out of the cookie-cutter mold.

A bajillion years.

A kajillion bajillion years. These are real numbers; look them up.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject:

LOL, you guys really make this too complicated. I wasn't saying "tell me how long you think it should take to get EXACTLY this mixture of skill and levels!", rather, it was just general numbers and guidelines.

What I find interesting so far are the disparities between numbers. For example, William suggested ~10 minutes to go from 0 to 1 skill point, but he suggested a couple of days for 10 skill points. Keeping in mind that 10 x 10 = 100 minutes if all points had an even cost, the disparity between 100 minutes and 2880 minutes (2 days) is pretty notable. I assume this is mainly because he's thinking in a 5 pts/level sort of way, but I intended the question to be freeform, excluding stuff like level caps.

I'm just trying to get an idea of what people actually expect to achieve in what time period if they're actively working on their skills/level at a fast pace (scripted or not.) I started playing with ideas for skill drain rates (i.e. have points you spend on skills drain out of pools like experience does) ... kinda like DR, except you then spend those points on skills of choice within the appropriate genre.

So if you drain 100,000 points into the offense (combat) pool, you might raise marksmanship by 2 ranks by spending 82,000 points or you might raise pulse weapons by 1 rank by spending 60,000 points (assuming pulse is at a higher current rank than marksmanship.)

So as I was analyzing potential drain rates, I began to wonder... how fast do we feel is too fast? Too slow? Just right?

BTW the current numbers in this spreadsheet I've modified a kajillion bajillion times (thx, William) would dictate that to raise a skill from rank 0 to 1 would take ~13 minutes of mega hard gain, ~26 if you work at half speed. Going from rank 499 to 500 would take ~26 minutes at full speed and ~53 at half. Going from rank 9,999 to 10,000 would take ~278 minutes at full speed. Wink

Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject:

sidenote, but i'm wondering if it'll be possible to keep your (primarily used) skills up to your current level if you just train them through action.

i know that when i started my newbie two-three months ago, she got 5 ranks of bladed before level 1 ended, then 10 before 2 ended, and so on, but she did end up dropping behind (she's now 40+ ranks behind her level cap), and i don't expect to have her ever catch up now.
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject:

Sure, call ME out infront of the class. Crying or Very sad

And yes, my estimates above were assuming a 5pts/lvl cap and starting fresh out of the CM.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
Wei Wao
Woah

Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject:

Wei Wao here!

2 weeks

6 months

1 year

2 years

30 min

2-4 days

2 weeks

month and a half

6 months

a year

6-8 months

2 years

2 years

5 years, but only if the game remained the same as it was when the character started, which I would hope would never be the case.

15 years, again only if the game remained the same.

"That's not breakfast, that's a vendetta!"-Jimmy Shubert
 Back to top »
indigone
Mild mannered thinker

Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject:

1. Go from level 1 to 10? - 6 months
2. Go from level 1 to 50? - 1 year
3. Go from level 1 to 100? - 1.5 years
4. Go from level 1 to 200? - 3 years
(yea, not an arithmetic progression, but you do -- and should-- get better at leveling as you go along. Perhaps I'll write a quadratic equation, or exponential... hmmm)

5. Go from 0 ranks of skill to 1? - 2 hours
6. Go from 0 ranks of skill to 10? - 20 hours
7. Go from 0 ranks of skill to 50? - 100 hours
8. Go from 0 ranks of skill to 100? - 200 hours
9. Go from 0 ranks of skill to 300? - 600 hours
10. Go from 0 ranks of skill to 500? - 1500 hours
(how very arithmetic)

11. Go from level 1, 0 skill in everything to level 50, and most skills 200+? - 1 year
12. Go from level 1, 0 skill in everything to level 200, and most skills 500+? - 3 years

13. To feel like you've found most of the amazing items you'll probably ever find? 3 years

14. To reach the point where you can't possibly achieve more with your character? 3 years

15. To reach the point where you've run out of stuff to do, even using alternate characters? 5 years

- Xil's player
"Woke up late one Thursday, and I'm seeing stars as I'm rubbing my eyes. And I felt like there were two days missing, as I focused on the time. And I made my way to the kitchen, but I had to stop from the shock of what I found, a room full of all of my friends dancing round and round and round. And I thought hello new shoes, Bye-Bye blues!"

- Paolo Nutini

Last edited by indigone on Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
sidenote, but i'm wondering if it'll be possible to keep your (primarily used) skills up to your current level if you just train them through action.

This will be easier in Live because you'll be able to raise skills through multiple avenues. Sure, you need to do something at least somewhat related to weapon use to raise a weapon skill, but it doesn't necessarily have to be shooting a gun to raise marksmanship, etc.

Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject:

By the way, if you want the RPA, I'll need to know who your characters are. I don't know in every case, or I may have to make an educated guess in some.

Back to top »
tygerwulf
Teh Pink Assassin.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject:

Teh Pink Assassin

Assuming you have no freakin life whatsoever:

About 2 weeks

About 6 months

About 1 years

I'll say 3 years (I think it should be pretty hard after 100, but with more stuff to do at high levels, and more stuff as you progress 100-200)

Assuming level caps and the like:
(I believe each point should get notably harder)

About 30 minutes

About 1 day

1 month

3 months

1 year

2 years

Assuming most skills = skills that you train regularly, being just a handful, I'll say 8 months (Just over what it takes to get 50 levels)

4 years. This is an incredible feat and should be insanely hard to achieve.

Never.

Never.

Never.
Morgana

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject:

2 - 4 weeks or about 250 hours. One gets rev'd by leveling fast, then begins the addiction as they learn the system.

6 months to a year or about 2500 hours.

1 - 2 years or about 5500 hours.

A minimum of 2 years or about 11,000+ hours. Progress should slow, but hopefully not drag, by adding bonus abilities for high skills or something.

20 minutes or less.

A week or about 65 hours.

1 - 2 months or about 400 hours.

3 - 4 months or about 1400 hours.

1 - 2 years or about 5500 hours.

2+ years or about 7500+ hours.

6 months to a year or about 2500 hours.

A minimum of 2 years or about 11,000+ hours.

Hopefully there's always another surprise in store.

Like Yaru, I always play Morgie (going on 4 years), I might have another account but I don't want to give up on the oldest.

Hopefully never. Realistically 10 - 15 years.
Tao

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject:

Tao Shadowstalker aka Mellie Knight (heh. kidding)

1. Go from level 1 to 10? 3 weeks
2. Go from level 1 to 50? 6 months
3. Go from level 1 to 100? 1.5 years
4. Go from level 1 to 200? 3 years

5. Go from 0 ranks of skill to 1? 30 minutes to 1 hour
6. Go from 0 ranks of skill to 10? 5-10 hours
7. Go from 0 ranks of skill to 50? 25-50 hours
8. Go from 0 ranks of skill to 100? 50-100 hours
9. Go from 0 ranks of skill to 300? 150-300 hours
10. Go from 0 ranks of skill to 500? 250-500 hours

11. Go from level 1, 0 skill in everything to level 50, and most skills 200+? 1 year
12. Go from level 1, 0 skill in everything to level 200, and most skills 500+? 3 years
13. To feel like you've found most of the amazing items you'll probably ever find? 2.5 years
14. To reach the point where you can't possibly achieve more with your character? 3 years
15. To reach the point where you've run out of stuff to do, even using alternate characters? When the ones I care about grow tired of the game and leave. 10-15 years? Even if I win Mickey's Lottery and I'm able to buy all my friends mansions and fund my empire, I think I'd still find stuff to do.
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » "Live" Discussions » Progression.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: