FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Treasure Stuff
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » "Live" Discussions » Treasure Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Treasure Stuff

I was also working on treasure system code for Live a bit ago, and thought I'd pass along a bit about how that is set up.

In Live, you have different tiers of treasure containers, firstly. There's a low level container, which might be represented by a small, shoddy wooden box or the like. There's mid level treasure which is likely a nice wooden box, or a rusty metal box. Then there's the high level stuff which is the nice shiny metal box. Finally, there's the poor level stuff which is essentially a ratty bag. On the bright side, bags aren't typically trapped. Wink

The point is, you'll have an idea of how good the stuff inside is based on the container. That's not to say you couldn't be (un)pleasantly surprised from time to time, though. So, to use current game terms, the shiny metal box is most likely to have rares and ultra-rares.

Now, in addition to this, you have different actual levels of creatures that drop this stuff. Every ~10 levels will have its own set of treasure hoppers, so you won't be finding stuff at level 50 that you were finding at level 1. Likewise, the need to have mobs running in fear from people will probably be extinguished, and that's a good thing because crafters might need some of the stuff that only drops from low-level creatures from time to time. Hey, this gives the newer people a chance to make some money without have any affect on the higher level hunters. Not bad.

Equipment will take this general 10-level turn too. A lot of stuff will fall under 10-level groupings. A lot of the stuff a level 45 artisan is making probably uses skins and box items from level 40-49 creatures. This in addition to mined, foraged, etc stuff too of course.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Seth Ventril
Disenfranchised Shadow

Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject:

Boxes most definitely intrigue me. But this does sound like a kickass setup.
Assassin: That's a good point...The creed is..."Stick them with the pointy end." - Ctrl+Alt+Del parody of Assassin's Creed.
---
TELEPATHY [close]:  Yaru Dex - "Great now you made Mickey cry. Thanks a lot, Seth."
---
Korell Ventril exclaims, "Choo ain no guard! Choo a crackhead!"
 Back to top »
Denavae
Lookit the flowers!

Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
In Live, you have different tiers of treasure containers, firstly. There's a low level container, which might be represented by a small, shoddy wooden box or the like. There's mid level treasure which is likely a nice wooden box, or a rusty metal box. Then there's the high level stuff which is the nice shiny metal box. Finally, there's the poor level stuff which is essentially a ratty bag. On the bright side, bags aren't typically trapped.

Is this a definitive thing? I mean, poor treasure in a bag is all good and dandy, but is there not a possibility of a good magic item (for the level) in such a bag? Humans and animals are naturally greedy so they may steal their brother's birthday present. Or they may acquire something of value, but in doing so not have enough to place that valued item in "a silver-specked Llirae strongbox with steel banding".

On an aside, you often find bipedal humanoid creatures who drop the occasional wad of cash. How about the occasional wallet?

Code:
You search an elite royal guard and find a worn black wallet with the Z'dan crest on it!
>open wallet
You flip open a worn black wallet with the Z'dan crest on it.
>l in wallet
Inside a worn black wallet with the Z'dan crest on it you see some petty change, a thick wad of bills, and a small photograph.

Of course, have the 'change' as just a few dollars ... say $1-$15 ... but the wad of bills could be up near $1000. And the photograph could just be some randomely generated picture of a chith, or may actually be an NPC 'side-quest' where you can take the picture to the NPC for some type of reward, or an alignment shift, or just a pat on the back, or even someone else who tries to kill you. Who knows? The picture thing could also work with Yaru's archive idea, but could generate a little more cash then your every day picture.
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject:

Me! wrote:
The point is, you'll have an idea of how good the stuff inside is based on the container. That's not to say you couldn't be (un)pleasantly surprised from time to time, though.

By that I meant that it's possible once in a while a bag could have something awesome in it, or a large pristine ocia chest could have a pauper's share inside. It's just not the norm.

And yes, flavor like wallets, items that can be used for quests, etc. are all possible.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject:

For the ~10 level groupings of huntables, I'd like to see at least one or two things drop appropriate (albeit fairly low-quality) equipment suitable for that grouping. This will probably only really be necessary for the first ~10 group. Just a cheap weapon and some armor they can use to get started. It also serves as extra sellable loot.

This can be achieved by still offering starter weapons in the CM, though, I suppose.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
Seth Ventril
Disenfranchised Shadow

Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject:

I'm totally aiming for the entire Vilamon's Secret Agent Set! Hope I don't have to farm grags for 20 days just to get a single piece though.
Assassin: That's a good point...The creed is..."Stick them with the pointy end." - Ctrl+Alt+Del parody of Assassin's Creed.
---
TELEPATHY [close]:  Yaru Dex - "Great now you made Mickey cry. Thanks a lot, Seth."
---
Korell Ventril exclaims, "Choo ain no guard! Choo a crackhead!"
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » "Live" Discussions » Treasure Stuff
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: