FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Equipment
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » "Live" Discussions » Equipment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject:

i'd prefer more customized verbs on items and less ambient things.

one of my coolest ever verb alterations are these foraging gloves i got when i first started. when i WAVE them, i do a special room message about foraging + it actually performs a survey.

by far the coolest verbed item i ever got, because in the end it allowed me to do a customized version of survey.
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject:

The biggest problem/issue with items such as those (custom verbs emulating existing commands) is that they typically aren't subject to any updates/patches/rewrites of the original command it was taken from.

To make a long story short, don't tell it.

I may be going nowhere, but I'm going nowhere fast.
---
Kelvin Watt says, "I stopped drinking coke when no longer drinking beer didn't make my gut disappear."
---
Kaelin Rae says, "Wait a minute..."
Kaelin Rae says, "You mean they have a COKE machine that dispenses beer."
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
Kaelin Rae says, "Greaser."
Kaelin Rae looks at you and sighs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject:

HR-Mickey wrote:
The biggest problem/issue with items such as those (custom verbs emulating existing commands) is that they typically aren't subject to any updates/patches/rewrites of the original command it was taken from.

yeah i noticed that when my gloves didn't tell me what could be sold in the room. but, that said, if that would be fixed in Live it would be 110% awesome to see more of those and less of "Bob's eyes mischievously flash and flicker with sparks shooting out" every few minutes.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject:

We have the ability to make you enter a command you didn't actually enter. That is, said gloves could conceivably do their message or what not, then make your character function identically as if you had typed SURVEY. But, this would include room message you generate by using the command, etc.

Although it's possible for the system to even know that you didn't physically type the command and therefore handle it differently (like have you not issue room messaging), this is a bit of a nuisance.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
We have the ability to make you enter a command you didn't actually enter. That is, said gloves could conceivably do their message or what not, then make your character function identically as if you had typed SURVEY. But, this would include room message you generate by using the command, etc.

Although it's possible for the system to even know that you didn't physically type the command and therefore handle it differently (like have you not issue room messaging), this is a bit of a nuisance.

could that be something made to be less obnoxious on the GM end in live?

when it comes to alterations, along with making yaru get the right "look" another big thing is helping make him act in a certain way when doing certain actions (for example, the gloves with the custom survey have him scrambling about the floor look at odds and ends in a rather hyper manner as opposed to just assessing a room)
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject:

By "nuisance", what I mean is that we'd have to do some special alteration of every command that is supposed to work differently when called in this unusual manner. So for example, SURVEY would need some special handling in it. This is doable, but does tend to clutter up the code and force staff to work on an aspect that is arguably of low significance on a game-wide scale.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » "Live" Discussions » Equipment
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: