FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
question on stances you learn
Goto page Previous  1, 2
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Combat & Hunting » question on stances you learn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HR-Marcus

Post Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject:

Are stances only supposed to affect unarmed combat? I never realized that.
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject:

i think stances influence everything but missile attacks, and the fact that they don't influence missile attacks is a bug.
Hubert

Post Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject:

I made a (small) beginning by putting what stance descriptions I know on the Wiki. May need a wiki guru to help out with managing the disambiguation (modrahi creature vs modrah stance etc).

Hubert
 Back to top »
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject:

Unarmed stances used to affect all attacks (I'm assuming we're talking as the "aggressor"), and a couple years ago (or so) I changed it so that only melee attacks were affected by stances; using your skill in boxing/kung fu to fire a pistol doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Defense via unarmed stances have stayed the same all along.

To make a long story short, don't tell it.

I may be going nowhere, but I'm going nowhere fast.
---
Kelvin Watt says, "I stopped drinking coke when no longer drinking beer didn't make my gut disappear."
---
Kaelin Rae says, "Wait a minute..."
Kaelin Rae says, "You mean they have a COKE machine that dispenses beer."
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
Kaelin Rae says, "Greaser."
Kaelin Rae looks at you and sighs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tao

Post Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject:

Is there any plans to have stances for pistols?
JiNx-HR

Post Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject:

Will there be plans to release sexual stances? Ones that increase your ability to hold out if you're an early quitter, perhaps? With enough coordination and stamina you can learn better ones?

I say this only because the community has made sex such a prevalent thing that obviously some sort of stances like these are needed.
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject:

Tao wrote:
Is there any plans to have stances for pistols?

solid ground: taking a more grounded position, this stance allows users to brace for any possible gun kickback, thus reducing the accuracy penalties some weapons, primarily multi-shot weapons, face (the downside being evasive penalties since you're so firmly set on not wanting to move). This stance benefits from the user being strong and athletic.

shoot to wound: primarily used by those in law enforcement, shoot to wound focuses on incapacitating the target more than killing it. This stance makes you focus more on stunning and knocking down your opponent at the cost of doing less actual physical damage.

quickdraw: this stance reduces the time it takes you to aim a shot, yet when using it...
marksmanship: gun jams increase
archery: arrow reloads increase (due to an agitated bowstring)
pulse: pulse weapons need to recharge sooner
Xeio Yarroi

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:40 am    Post subject:

I have to say that I really like Yaru's ideas on ranged stances. It doesn't make sense to me either to have your wrestling skill have any effect on your ability to use a firearm. It also doesn't make sense that all firearm/ranged weapon users would have the same strategy.

Eg: When my psi was level one and two he couldn't really fight effectively with his psionics, so he used a rifle. Whenever the asapi got close he'd back out of range, using a constant 'tactical retreat' until the foe died.

My trooper uses a gigantic shield and has a lot of physical strength. He'll open up with his Pulse rifle, and sometimes drop his target before they get to melee. If they do get to melee, he's not some unarmored alteri who can't take damage. He often just stands there at melee enjoying the easy aiming and blocking the blows with his shield.

Those are two almost opposing strategies to ranged weapon usage. I think that the addition of ranged weapon stances would help develop a character's individual syle of combat.

I also think (and yes, I know this will be unpolular) that stances which are clearly unarmed techniques, like boxing, should not give bonues to any armed attack. Then negative repercussions of making a change like that would neccessitate the addition of things like brass knuckles, punch blades, heel spikes, etc.

My main problem with the current stances is that there is no way to find out what they actually do. I can tell that the Alteri stance is more effective if you know medicine, and I *think* that it increases accuracy and chance to stun at the expense of raw damage. This is my inference from the text during learning the stance. The fact that you can train medicine from her is a big tip too. The Eolai stance clearly benefits from dance skill. I'm not really sure what skills the Jaddan or Human stances benefit from. And having no way of finding out the details of the stance short of writing a program to track combat data while using each stance is rather frustrating to me. And no, I don't have the ability to create such a program.
 Back to top »
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject:

I won't say I'd be opposed to firearm stances (along with melee weapon ones), but it would be a while down the road before I'd take responsibility for the endeavor; I think firearms are pretty bell'd and whistle'd already (and I've already got a project in the works for them </spoiler>, hiepahreds did an awesome job of bringing up the property value on melee weapons, which leaves unarmed combat out in the cold. To reiterate what I said a couple posts back, I think that limiting unarmed stances solely to unarmed would make the skill a lot more viable outside of the Guardian profession.

To make a long story short, don't tell it.

I may be going nowhere, but I'm going nowhere fast.
---
Kelvin Watt says, "I stopped drinking coke when no longer drinking beer didn't make my gut disappear."
---
Kaelin Rae says, "Wait a minute..."
Kaelin Rae says, "You mean they have a COKE machine that dispenses beer."
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
Kaelin Rae says, "Greaser."
Kaelin Rae looks at you and sighs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Galeth Lothain
Er, der wahr ist

Location: That one place with that one town with that one house on that one street

Post Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:02 am    Post subject:

I soooooooo second that. Smile The stances are very nice, at least the power stances. Wink

"Anybody can become angry, that is easy; but to be angry with the right person, and to the right degree, and at the right time, and for the right purpose, and in the right way, that is not within everybody's power, that is not easy"
--Aristotle
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Combat & Hunting » question on stances you learn
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: