FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
question on stances you learn
Goto page 1, 2  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Combat & Hunting » question on stances you learn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: question on stances you learn

so stances have an unarmed req + sometimes something else (i think, right?).

do the effectiveness of those stances depend on you continuing to train unarmed + whatever other skills are needed for those stances, or is the stance as effective as it'll get from when you first get it?

ie:
if stance X requires 100 unarmed and 50 painting, is it worth continuing to train unarmed and painting?
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject:

Your skill determines whether the stance actually benefits you.

To make a long story short, don't tell it.

I may be going nowhere, but I'm going nowhere fast.
---
Kelvin Watt says, "I stopped drinking coke when no longer drinking beer didn't make my gut disappear."
---
Kaelin Rae says, "Wait a minute..."
Kaelin Rae says, "You mean they have a COKE machine that dispenses beer."
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
Kaelin Rae says, "Greaser."
Kaelin Rae looks at you and sighs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject:

so it would be best to always train unarmed + the other required skills to learn a specific stance?

rats. Sad i need to find more skill points!
Milan Fiori

Post Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:54 am    Post subject:

Is there any information on Stances in the game? I actually had no clue they existed until I read this.
 Back to top »
HR-Morrigan

Post Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:16 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Is there any information on Stances in the game? I actually had no clue they existed until I read this.

At one time I believe a news article existed regarding them, not sure if it is still in the system or not. I know it is being planned to give reference to them in the help system, but that hasn't been updated yet. So I guess the short answer is no Laughing unless you happen upon the academy in your wanderings. I'll look at adding something to the unarmed training spots that will clue people in.

Morrigan Blackfury
 Back to top »
Xeio Yarroi

Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject:

Which Academy are you talking about? Becuase I couldn't find any information about it at the one in the Jaddan District.
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject:

Xeio Yarroi wrote:
Which Academy are you talking about? Becuase I couldn't find any information about it at the one in the Jaddan District.

the fighting academy out the east gate of Llanfair
Xeio Yarroi

Post Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:45 am    Post subject:

I've been there, and I learned a number of the stances, but for the most part I can't tell when I would want to use one stance versus another stance. It seems to me that the Alteri Stance Yivaceiweixei (sp?) would be for people with high medical knowledge, and the Eolai one would be for people who have high dancing skill. And Vamgoga Dok seems to be intended to benefit people with high strength. Of course I could be wrong. And I really don't know what the 'something else' would be for any of the other stances. Asking the trainers didn't really give me a very good idea. I currently use Shunashorn Doko (one of the jaddan ones) because when I learned it the instructor was constantly parrying and blocking; a defensive stance is handy when your main weapon is psionics.
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject:

i do know no one ever extensively tested stances and gave information on what influences what.

the big thing i always wanted to know what is you had to keep training unarmed, unarmed + the other skill, or just the other skill to improve your bonus from the stance.
Galeth Lothain
Er, der wahr ist

Location: That one place with that one town with that one house on that one street

Post Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject:

Well, some professions have special stances. But I know a few if anyone has questions, like Eteoch, Modrahi, and Poudrach. At least I think I figured them out. But yea, having our guild leaders, or even the trainers in the academy explain a little better on what they do, it'd be great. Very Happy

Galeth

"Anybody can become angry, that is easy; but to be angry with the right person, and to the right degree, and at the right time, and for the right purpose, and in the right way, that is not within everybody's power, that is not easy"
--Aristotle
 Back to top »
HR-Marcus

Post Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject:

This has been a debate for a long time.

IMO, the stances should be a bit better known. I have never known the differences, though my character has many stances. I use one stance that is neutral and ignore the rest that I have learned. I rarely see anyone changing stances.

This will require some staff discussion. I hope that others weigh in and express how they feel. Personally, I'd like to see the stances very well defined, though not at a quantitative level, but a more qualitative one without obscure descriptions that are hard to interpret.
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject:

also can we change what is required to learn stances? needing unarmed + something else to learn a stance is a bit excessive in a skill-point-limited game. i'd love for it to be main weapon + something or research + something (there's my bias for wanting research to do more again!) than unarmed + something, just because i don't want to have to learn a weapon skill i have no intention of actually using.
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
just because i don't want to have to learn a weapon skill i have no intention of actually using.

Speaking as party that will be dabbling in combat where it concerns stances and their effects, I may be confused on this part. Please elaborate?

---
Kelvin Watt says, "I stopped drinking coke when no longer drinking beer didn't make my gut disappear."
---
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject:

HR-Mickey wrote:
soundless wrote:
just because i don't want to have to learn a weapon skill i have no intention of actually using.

Speaking as party that will be dabbling in combat where it concerns stances and their effects, I may be confused on this part. Please elaborate?

say my agent or trooper or etc etc etc wants to learn a stance.

now, you have to get X ranks in unarmed (and sometimes a secondary skill req, as well), to qualify to learn a stance. meanwhile, you may really just use blunt or polearm or a non-unarmed stance, so a lot of points have to be invested in a second weapon (unarmed) even though you have no intent of actually using it if you want to maximize the bonus you get out of the stance.

i'm fine if a stance requires say medicine or dancing or acrobatics or something, but needing that plus unarmed is a big investment (to me), considering there is a limit to how many skill points one can get each level. i'd rather it just require X in any weapon skill, plus whatever extra is required. if something had to be used other than the main weapon, i'd rather it be research, just because it's a skill that needs to do more (to me).

plus, if research replaced unarmed, i don't think guardians will suffer because IIRC sigils are supposed to use sigil lore plus research (?).
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject:

I agree, although only because I don't think unarmed stance benefits should apply combat that isn't unarmed. Not only because it makes sense to me, but more importantly because it lets hands-on fighters fine-tune their character style in a fashion similar to characters that decide which weapons in a skill class they want to utilize.

On the limited skill point note, I'm going to let the cat out of the bag prematurely (and I'll be making a formal outline post sometime in the near future with more things to expect) and state on the record that the newly tweaked combat system will be even more training intensive, because, seriously, that's just how it should be. The intent behind limited skill points is to have to put consideration into how you want to develop your character, and it's my rabid intent to bury the 2-dimensional "Train Three Stats Plus One Offense/One Defense Skill" strategy once and for all.

---
---
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Combat & Hunting » question on stances you learn
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: