Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Stealing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Agents » Stealing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject:

That gives me a few bugs to check into. I hadn't really intended it to be used on huntables originally, and it's showing.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
tygerwulf
Teh Pink Assassin.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject:

It would be cool if, when there are penalties for stealing, it would include wary shop keepers. Like have 2 seperate timers, that shop keeper won't sell you anything or buy anything from you for a certain amount of time. And then after that time expires, they will buy and sell at a reduced price for a while. Just a thought.

EDIT: Oh, and the timers would be longer for stealing items then they are for stealing a few credits. Way longer.
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject:

can the alignment shift of stealing be based on the alignment of the target itself, sorta like combat?
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject:

tygerwulf wrote:
It would be cool if, when there are penalties for stealing, it would include wary shop keepers. Like have 2 seperate timers, that shop keeper won't sell you anything or buy anything from you for a certain amount of time. And then after that time expires, they will buy and sell at a reduced price for a while. Just a thought.

EDIT: Oh, and the timers would be longer for stealing items then they are for stealing a few credits. Way longer.

I'd like to see these timers extended to shopkeepers that sell similar items, or at least in some cases. If you steal from one diamond vendor, word will get out to other diamond vendors either in the same (and/or neighboring cities) to look out for you.

That'd be really keen. Probably not worth doing until Live, though.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
can the alignment shift of stealing be based on the alignment of the target itself, sorta like combat?

I dunno, I see stealing as a not-good act always, myself.

Back to top »
Seth Ventril
Disenfranchised Shadow

Post Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject:

Not to challenge you or anything but before someone else says it: Robin Hood.

And if you're Good aligned, and you steal from an Evil aligned, isn't it safe to say there's a purpose in said stealing simply beyond "Man, I'm broke and need GP's for that Vorpal Brilliant Light Hammer-Axe".

Unless it's a problem with diversion of resources from Live to Beta. In which case, Stealing is very evil >.>
Assassin: That's a good point...The creed is..."Stick them with the pointy end." - Ctrl+Alt+Del parody of Assassin's Creed.
---
TELEPATHY [close]:  Yaru Dex - "Great now you made Mickey cry. Thanks a lot, Seth."
---
Korell Ventril exclaims, "Choo ain no guard! Choo a crackhead!"
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:33 am    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
soundless wrote:

I dunno, I see stealing as a not-good act always, myself.

technically, anything that causes the misery of others, regardless of their alignment, could be a not-good act.

i really doubt oshib is going to frown down at yaru if he steals from a chith. now, punching a bum in the face for his loose change is another thing.

not to mention situations like "oh we need someone to steal from the darju thug who has the key to the jail cell holding the alteri" call for someone to do the act in the name of good.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:49 am    Post subject:

You're overestimating the complexity of the alignment system. It doesn't understand situations, just the act, the offender, and the offended.

Now, I think the closest thing to a realistic medium I could do here (because I don't think stealing from an evil person should give you a good alignment) is to lower alignment when stealing from good, and do nothing to alignment when stealing from anyone else.

It's also worth pointing out that we have a 3 tier alignment system on a single axis: good, neutral, evil.

It's very hard to emulate certain fictional characters. Robin Hood would be considered chaotic good, whereas someone who stole from good and evil alike to keep the money would be considered chaotic neutral, not evil.

We don't track what you do with the money you steal, it's assumed you keep it (and you usually do).

Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
Now, I think the closest thing to a realistic medium I could do here (because I don't think stealing from an evil person should give you a good alignment) is to lower alignment when stealing from good, and do nothing to alignment when stealing from anyone else.

i can live with that. Smile

i just think it would be odd if yaru got slapped on the wrist for stealing from a chith, yet shooting it in the face would be awesome and an alignment boost.

civillians, on the other hand, are totally super-good and should never be stolen from. and i'd assume most shops are "good," so stealing from those would always be wrong, as well (not like shop stealing is in or anything).
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject:

There's ample historical (talking RL here) precedent for killing being considered a "good" act, but not for stealing.

Back to top »
Seth Ventril
Disenfranchised Shadow

Post Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject:

Not that I steal or anything, >.>, but could CASE maybe factor in amount of money? I see this happening more with PC stealing, but it could work with mobs too.

You take a moment to look over a koru hunter. For most people you think he would be a difficult mark. For you? Well, you figure that out.

You guess he is carrying a moderate amount of cash.
Roundtime: 5 sec.

Or something to that effect.
Assassin: That's a good point...The creed is..."Stick them with the pointy end." - Ctrl+Alt+Del parody of Assassin's Creed.
---
TELEPATHY [close]:  Yaru Dex - "Great now you made Mickey cry. Thanks a lot, Seth."
---
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject:

It would kind of be repetitious. The higher the difficulty, the more the cash - always.

Back to top »
Seth Ventril
Disenfranchised Shadow

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject:

I've recently became an agent (No use pretending to hide it. No one's buying it. *chuckles*). And I love the profession. Especially since I started playing Neverwinter Nights and went on a D&D style rogue kick. But Agents are like Rogue++, which is awesome.

And with stealing being a new system and all, I thought I might make two suggestions.

1. CASEing a "victim" could show if they've been stolen from already. I'm not sure if two agents can steal successfully from the civilian thing (A per agent amount of money) or if it's a one time shot. And I don't always kill what I steal from, so sometimes civvies and critters are wandering around that I've pick pocketed. Maybe something like:

You take a moment to look over a young shopper. For most people you think he would be a fairly easy mark. For you? Well, you figure that out.
Glancing over a young shopper's coin purse/wallet/whathaveyou, you think this person has been cleaned out already. (OR something to that effect).
Roundtime: 5 sec.

Secondly, and this one is more of a pet peeve than anything, but could the stealing message be made to discern if you're in hiding or not?

This happens to me quite alot:

>hide
You slip into hiding.
Roundtime: 7 sec.
>case tracker
You take a moment to look over an aging tracker. For most people you think she would be a fairly easy mark. For you? Well, you figure that out.
Roundtime: 8 sec.
>steal tracker
You approach an aging tracker and bump into her, attempting to snatch some credits while she is distracted.
Roundtime: 7 sec.

Just kinda irks me a bit how I'm trying to maintain anonymity but here I am bumping into people from the shadows >.>

And I end this with a question:

Does casing offer an invisible bonus to stealing (If you can reveal it that is)? Just wondering because I seem to do much better at stealing if I case first.
---
---
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject:

hiding doesn't always mean "behind a wall" or something. so the bump thing isn't really that bad.
Seth Ventril
Disenfranchised Shadow

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject:

But I can never remember a time when someone has bumped into me and I didn't know he or she was there and what they looked like and if my wallet was still in place. Hiding is hiding. Whether in a closet, behind a bed, or creeping in the shadows. And I can't remember the last time I tried to hide and bump into people.
---
---
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Agents » Stealing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: