FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Magic Stuff
Goto page 1, 2  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » "Live" Discussions » Magic Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Magic Stuff

I wanted to update everyone on some things re: magic in Live.

1. After some thought and planning, I don't think we're going to use the "PREP <spell> <power level>" system. I've planned out a nice set of spells (a huge list of them) and I think the only way I could accomodate the power-based system wherein you choose how much power to feed a spell is if we were to have fewer spells and/or you receive spells less often.

2. A lot of the spells in the list are upgrades of previous spells. For instance, there's a spell to lighten weapons called LIGHTEN WEAPON, ingeniously enough. It comes in several flavors, INFERIOR LIGHTEN WEAPON, GREATER LIGHTEN WEAPON, etc. By the way, the purpose of the spell is to reduce the weight of -all- weapons a person is holding or carrying, and it can be cast on yourself or others. It's a temporary effect, of course.

3. I see a lot of utility spells of value here that will make Mages a community asset. For example, a Mage can temporarily lighten both weapons and armor, or even lighten the weight of a container and all of its contents. Mages can augment focus regeneration in an area, and so on.

4. Some of the Mage spells have special conditions or detrimental side effects. For instance, a spell that only works on mechanical NPC's, or a spell that can only be used from a certain altitude or terrain.

5. Every Mage will choose an element they are trained most in: heat, cold, electricity or erosion.

6. Every Mage will choose a school they are trained most in: alteration, elemental, summoning or time/space.

7. Spells are -only- available to Mages, short of items that have spells imbued in them.

8. Some spells are "cantrips". Typically emergency abilities, cantrips have no prep requirement, you just cast it at will. An example is an ice wall that encases the Mage, shielding them from damage but also preventing them from moving or attacking.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
1. After some thought and planning, I don't think we're going to use the "PREP <spell> <power>" system. I've planned out a nice set of spells (a huge list of them) and I think the only way I could accomodate the power-based system wherein you choose how much power to feed a spell is if we were to have fewer spells and/or you receive spells less often.

2. A lot of the spells in the list are upgrades of previous spells. For instance, there's a spell to lighten weapons called LIGHTEN WEAPON, ingeniously enough. It comes in several flavors, INFERIOR LIGHTEN WEAPON, GREATER LIGHTEN WEAPON, etc. By the way, the purpose of the spell is to reduce the weight of -all- weapons a person is holding or carrying, and it can be cast on yourself or others. It's a temporary effect, of course.

I would personally be in favor of choosing the power you put into a spell rather than having several tiered versions of the same spell (e.g., inferior-->normal-->greater). I think Simu got it right when they did that for DR. Then again, that was probably because putting more power into spells was the main way to train the Harness and Primary Magic skills. We obviously don't have to worry about that, but still.

Quote:
5. Every Mage will choose an element they are trained most in: heat, cold, electricity or erosion.

6. Every Mage will choose a school they are trained most in: alteration, elemental, summoning or time/space.

I'm guessing these will afford the Mage greater damage/effect when using the appropriate spells? And possibly spells/cantrips that would otherwise be unobtainable to those outside of that specialty/school? If so, that's nifty. Hopefully Mickey will do this for performance types. Confused A guy can dream!

Are you going to be going along the same vein as these points with Psionics, too?

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Brokyn wrote:
I would personally be in favor of choosing the power you put into a spell rather than having several tiered versions of the same spell (e.g., inferior-->normal-->greater). I think Simu got it right when they did that for DR. Then again, that was probably because putting more power into spells was the main way to train the Harness and Primary Magic skills. We obviously don't have to worry about that, but still.

The other side of this is that you'll get spells less often. I'd like to hear more about this from others. What's more important to you, how often you get a new spell (or upgrade), or the ability to select a power level for a spell?

Brokyn wrote:
I'm guessing these will afford the Mage greater damage/effect when using the appropriate spells? And possibly spells/cantrips that would otherwise be unobtainable to those outside of that specialty/school? If so, that's nifty. Hopefully Mickey will do this for performance types. Confused A guy can dream!

I was thinking more along the lines of people being able to select more abilities from their favored circle than they can from the others. It could also open the path for special abilities (like overloading, for the elemental circle, etc.)

Brokyn wrote:
Are you going to be going along the same vein as these points with Psionics, too?

Mostly. There are some differences in how it's all structured, but not much. Overall, psionics will probably have less abilities than mages, but not by much. I think both professions should expect to use traditional weapons slightly more often, moreso for Psionics than Mages, who will lightly augment traditional combat with abilities rather than replace it.

Which brings me to another point: Some of the spells/powers as you know them are either being removed or changed dramatically. For instance, Blood Siphon isn't in the spell list. However, if you choose Alteration as your favored circle... hmm...

Of course, new, never seen before spells are coming out too, as mentioned previously.

An example of a dramatically changed spell is Corrosive Armor. In beta it's a damage shield that has a chance to injure melee combatants. In Live it's described as: "Cantrip. Acidic armor prevents the caster from being struck by weapons, arrows/bolts, bullets for 45 seconds."

So in other words, it's protection from almost any damage except spells and psionics for 45 seconds. Of course, it has a focus cost and so using it non stop is not cost-effective. Because it's a cantrip, it requires no prep.

Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
Brokyn wrote:

The other side of this is that you'll get spells less often. I'd like to hear more about this from others. What's more important to you, how often you get a new spell (or upgrade), or the ability to select a power level for a spell?

it feels really FFI to me. Fir1, Fir2, Fir3, etc...

maybe a hybrid? The fire spell is the fire spell, but you can quest or research or something to expand what it does.

aka:
Code:
study fire
You recall what you know about fire magic:
-You know how to create small fireballs
-You know how to create medium fireballs
-You know how to create multiple small fireballs
-You know how to create stronger burning flames
-You know how to create longer burning flames

Code:
study ice
You recall what you know about ice magic:
-You know how to create small ice shards
-You know how to create a wall of ice
-You know how to encase someone in ice
-You know how to freeze someone and keep them alive
-You know how to freeze the ground
-You know how to shape ice to cause puncture wounds
-You know how to shape ice to create a cage

Code:
study earth
You recall what you know about earth magic:
-You know how to create small fissures
-You know how to create large fissures
-You know how to mire someone in mud
-You know how to create tiger traps
-You know how to encourage landslides
-You know how to shake the earth

and so on. as the mage gets stronger and stronger, the skill widens. so it's less knowing spell X Y and Z and more knowing how to use spell X in a really cool way. maybe by studying two (or more) elements, the skills available will change, like a fire/ice mage would know how to create steam, or a earth/fire mage would be able to cause volcanic eruptions, and so on.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject:

That's doable, but very complex, especially for just one profession out of the twelve. Unless I can think of an easy way to code it so it's not as bad as it sounds when I first read it over.

-IF- I can get such as idea to work, then I see a couple of notables:

+. You'd be able to name your own spells I think. You're creating the spell, so why not?

-. You'd lose the originality factor. Part of the structure I have written up right now makes it so no mage can have near all the possible spells and with this proposal eventually everyone would have all the spells. Unless there are a limited number of components you can choose (say if you pick fire and ice, you don't have any more picks left so you miss out on erosion/lightning), but this could get dicey in that no one will know what gives what and I see some people really upset later if they made a bad choice in their view. I don't see promising any sort of re-selection process as a valid solution unless it has a high experience cost.

Back to top »
Seth Ventril
Disenfranchised Shadow

Post Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject:

Not to compare (Not at all, 2 completely different games), but DR had a good system. You could purchase spell slots and erase previously learned spells for your TDP's (Stat points). Cost a helluva lot though. If you wanted to go with Yaru's suggestion, I see this as a valid means to people who select their spells hastily/whathaveyou.

That's about all I could think of for this. Only one game I've ever played a mage in and that was DR, and only because Moon Mage was one of two non-combat classes. (And I hate healing. So empath was out.)
Assassin: That's a good point...The creed is..."Stick them with the pointy end." - Ctrl+Alt+Del parody of Assassin's Creed.
---
TELEPATHY [close]:  Yaru Dex - "Great now you made Mickey cry. Thanks a lot, Seth."
---
Korell Ventril exclaims, "Choo ain no guard! Choo a crackhead!"
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
Brokyn wrote:

I don't see much difference in the long run. You may get fewer spells over the lifetime of your character, but most of the ones you'd be losing out on are already built into the spells you have. Instead of having to "buy" three separate Fireball spells, all of varying strengths, you can have a single fireball spell which you can determine the strength (and focus cost) of depending on the situation.

Don't get me wrong, I can see the benefit of having three tiered versions of a spell. It takes the guess work out of it, which is really good if you're freaking out over getting swarmed with fifty mobs. And if you decide later on that you don't like Inferior Spell X, for whatever reason, you don't have to get its upgraded counterparts which leaves you more slots to fill with other spells.

But after the first few months, when most of the spell trees will be tested by different characters, the latter point is rather moot since there will undoubtedly be a guide somewhere (y halo thar HR wiki) detailing everything about every spell.

I don't know. I hope a Mage primary pops in sometime soon to give their side of it; I hate coming into these threads which don't pertain to my profession and just spouting off things I think are more convenient. But I do it out of love, I promise. Very Happy

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject:

SethVentril500 wrote:
Not to compare (Not at all, 2 completely different games), but DR had a good system. You could purchase spell slots and erase previously learned spells for your TDP's (Stat points). Cost a helluva lot though. If you wanted to go with Yaru's suggestion, I see this as a valid means to people who select their spells hastily/whathaveyou.

with forgetting (or adding) a spellslot in DR, it's cheaper/easier to just get another one by levelling. in fact, by the time someone got the TDPs to get a new slot (why erase when getting one costs just as much? durr to dev right there), you have a new slot already.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject:

Actually, the one real benefit that I didn't see mentioned in your response there is the sense of progression. Even if it's an upgrade to something you already have, getting an extra spell in your list reguarly is an accomplishment.

Getting to cast an existing spell at a higher power level has a less prominent feel of accomplishment, IMO.

Example 1:
15 skill - new spell A.
30 skill - new spell B.
45 skill - new spell C.
60 skill - upgrade spell A.
75 skill - new spell D.
90 skill - upgrade spell B.
etc.

Example 2:
15 skill - new spell A.
30 skill - cast spell A at a higher focus.
45 skill - cast spell A at a higher focus.
60 skill - new spell B & cast spell A at a higher focus.
75 skill - cast spell A, B at a higher focus.
90 skill - cast spell A, B at a higher focus.
etc.

I think it's a matter of opinion, so the more opinions the merrier. I should note that example 1 isn't fully accurate in that you also receive the "upgrade" of having more FP to use for casting, which is essentially moot in example 2 since costs go up more consistently.

Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
SethVentril500 wrote:

with forgetting (or adding) a spellslot in DR, it's cheaper/easier to just get another one by levelling. in fact, by the time someone got the TDPs to get a new slot (why erase when getting one costs just as much? durr to dev right there), you have a new slot already.

Unless it's changed, TDP's affect only stats, not level progression or adding slots, right? So if you give up the TDP's to erase a slot and you get a new spell for levelling up at the same time, aren't you then +2 new spells but sacrificed some stat raises? Or is this not how it works?

Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
-. You'd lose the originality factor. Part of the structure I have written up right now makes it so no mage can have near all the possible spells and with this proposal eventually everyone would have all the spells. Unless there are a limited number of components you can choose (say if you pick fire and ice, you don't have any more picks left so you miss out on erosion/lightning), but this could get dicey in that no one will know what gives what and I see some people really upset later if they made a bad choice in their view. I don't see promising any sort of re-selection process as a valid solution unless it has a high experience cost.

i know a few games have things like lecture halls and whatnot where someone can sit down and see things in action. as long as it's accurate enough, i don't see why that would make people disappointed.

my view was that there were limited components, but that it was more like skill points now. sure, you can have "quad elemental spell attack X" with 5 in each element, but then you probably miss out on the big fire spell that you'd need 20 in fire for. so spells would be a mix of what elements you invest in plus what thing you study every time, too. so someone can have a full fire focus, but care mostly about area damage, while another fire mage may just want to deal with massive focused shots.
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
Unless it's changed, TDP's affect only stats, not level progression or adding slots, right? So if you give up the TDP's to erase a slot and you get a new spell for levelling up at the same time, aren't you then +2 new spells but sacrificed some stat raises? Or is this not how it works?

in throne city you can pay TDPs + plats to either get a spellslot or forget a spell already taking up a slot. the general consensus is that it's a massive waste of TDPs because by the time you earn those TDPs, you probably already gained a new spell slot just by circling a few times.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject:

Isn't a spell slot ever worth it though? The two (spell slot from levelling and spell slot from purchase/erase) don't sound exclusive to each other. It's stat raises vs. spell slot as I understand it, not spell slot vs. spell slot, unless there's a cap on how many spell slots you can have at X level.

Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
Isn't a spell slot ever worth it though? The two (spell slot from levelling and spell slot from purchase/erase) don't sound exclusive to each other. It's stat raises vs. spell slot as I understand it, not spell slot vs. spell slot, unless there's a cap on how many spell slots you can have at X level.

i think it's more that, since there are a limited number of spells, it makes little sense to rush yourself and get a spell 3-4 circles early instead of just being patient.
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
Actually, the one real benefit that I didn't see mentioned in your response there is the sense of progression. Even if it's an upgrade to something you already have, getting an extra spell in your list reguarly is an accomplishment.

Getting to cast an existing spell at a higher power level has a less prominent feel of accomplishment, IMO.

Ah, good point.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » "Live" Discussions » Magic Stuff
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: