FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
New skill system
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Test Instance - New Skill System » New skill system
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moka

Post Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: New skill system

Sorry I spent alot of time reading all the posts and I am really looking forward to the new skill system.......Is there a estimate on or when this will enter into the game?
Wei Wao
Woah

Post Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject:

I could be wrong, but I believe it's for Live.

"That's not breakfast, that's a vendetta!"-Jimmy Shubert
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject:

No, Trevor recently mentioned Live was going to have a similar skill system to what we have now. Or maybe I misread something somewhere. I do know the original intent of the NSkills System was as a testing ground for what was proposed for Live, though.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
Tao

Post Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject:

Brokyn wrote:
No, Trevor recently mentioned Live was going to have a similar skill system to what we have now. Or maybe I misread something somewhere. I do know the original intent of the NSkills System was as a testing ground for what was proposed for Live, though.

--William

From what I remember, the NSKills System was a test for the new experience system and once its all been tested out and ready to go, we'd be using that new experience system in BETA. Or did i read it wrong from the: Advancement / Training Change Proposal in the Staff Announcements? Cause if it was intended for LIVE, what was the point of the complevel command?
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject:

i don't think it was set in stone one way or the other if we'd ever convert to the complevel/nskill systems.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:05 am    Post subject:

Let me go ahead and clarify here.

It comes down to a choice that can go either way and has an associated cost if it's implemented. Yes, we can turn on NSKILLS as a full blown, full time system in the current game's incarnation (i.e. beta as it's often called) but we can't just flip a switch and make it work. Everything that uses skills - from tailoring to hiding to doing a flip to casting a spell needs updates to use the system.

In addition, formulas that use skill need modification for the 0-500 range versus 0-200. Also, whatever psionics (most) and magic (none, really) that aren't nskills re-written must be, so they use the slot system etc.

So then the basic question is do we focus on the "Live" version of the game and forego releasing nskills in the current game, or do we extend the release of Live even more to get nskills into the current game? Opinions welcome.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
indigone
Mild mannered thinker

Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
So then the basic question is do we focus on the "Live" version of the game and forego releasing nskills in the current game, or do we extend the release of Live even more to get nskills into the current game? Opinions welcome.

Personally, I'm not really a fan of the nskills idea at all. I'm not sure where the live instance is going with it, whether we'll be doomed to repeat tasks to get more skill or not. I'd vote for leaving it out of beta all together.
"Woke up late one Thursday, and I'm seeing stars as I'm rubbing my eyes. And I felt like there were two days missing, as I focused on the time. And I made my way to the kitchen, but I had to stop from the shock of what I found, a room full of all of my friends dancing round and round and round. And I thought hello new shoes, Bye-Bye blues!"

- Paolo Nutini
 Back to top »
Tao

Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject:

I'd say Focus on the LIVE. I wasnt really all for this new skills training system at first and was kind of dreading the day that it would be implemented. I only posted earlier because I didnt recall it being said that this wouldn't be implemented into BETA and was only for LIVE. So by all means, leave it for LIVE.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject:

indigone wrote:
HR-Trevor wrote:

Personally, I'm not really a fan of the nskills idea at all. I'm not sure where the live instance is going with it, whether we'll be doomed to repeat tasks to get more skill or not. I'd vote for leaving it out of beta all together.

Live will use a bit of a different arrangement. You'll have skill "pools" that are filled by using skills of a certain type. For instance, all offensive weapon skills are in a shared pool, so if you go shooting stuff for a while you can dump earned offense points into any weapon (or other offense skill). You'll also earn points in either physical or mental pools which can be used on the physical and mental stats accordingly.

While this does have the learn by use aspect, you should be able to raise skills doing mostly what you would do anyway if you were using a total point-buy system like we use now. I know it's not always true, but I'd like to think that anyone who is going to want some lockpicking skill, for instance, won't mind picking some locks from time to time to get it, or at least working on other skills in that pool. I've made a point to ensure the pools have a lot of skills in them so as to be close to evenly distributed, giving you more options to train a given pool.

So yes, you'll be training by use, but you'll have a lot of options. You won't be forced to literally climb a rope for an hour to improve climbing. You could instead do some acrobatics, play some sports or make jumps in certain areas, go swimming, ride a mount, and many other profession-specific options - all of which fill the "physical" skill pool (not to be confused with the "physical" stat pool.)

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
indigone
Mild mannered thinker

Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
So yes, you'll be training by use, but you'll have a lot of options. You won't be forced to literally climb a rope for an hour to improve climbing. You could instead do some acrobatics, play some sports or make jumps in certain areas, go swimming, ride a mount, and many other profession-specific options - all of which fill the "physical" skill pool (not to be confused with the "physical" stat pool.)

Thanks for the clear response, always appreciated, and always amazing how the staff stays in touch in HR. (The insty-assist responses are a little freaky... in a good way Cool )
"Woke up late one Thursday, and I'm seeing stars as I'm rubbing my eyes. And I felt like there were two days missing, as I focused on the time. And I made my way to the kitchen, but I had to stop from the shock of what I found, a room full of all of my friends dancing round and round and round. And I thought hello new shoes, Bye-Bye blues!"

- Paolo Nutini
 Back to top »
Wei Wao
Woah

Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the clarification, Trevor. I'd been quietly worrying about what Live was going to be like and I was afraid that with the nskill implementation, it would become something I wouldn't like. However, I think what you all have come up with sounds extremely fair and fun, too! Not to mention it makes sense.

As far as implementation, I'd rather see the work go into Live instead of putting nskills into beta.

"That's not breakfast, that's a vendetta!"-Jimmy Shubert

Last edited by Wei Wao on Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject:

indigone wrote:
Thanks for the clear response, always appreciated, and always amazing how the staff stays in touch in HR. (The insty-assist responses are a little freaky... in a good way)

HRGMs: Scaring The Hell Out Of Players Since 2003.

To make a long story short, don't tell it.

I may be going nowhere, but I'm going nowhere fast.
---
Kelvin Watt says, "I stopped drinking coke when no longer drinking beer didn't make my gut disappear."
---
Kaelin Rae says, "Wait a minute..."
Kaelin Rae says, "You mean they have a COKE machine that dispenses beer."
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
Kaelin Rae says, "Greaser."
Kaelin Rae looks at you and sighs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject:

More like,

HRGMs: Inventors of Paint Bombs Which Lag the Server To Near Death

Otherwise we were only scared since 2004.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Test Instance - New Skill System » New skill system
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: