FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Stoves and cooking
Goto page 1, 2  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Player Homes » Stoves and cooking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xavain

Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Stoves and cooking

Posting this for Elandra as she can't seem to access the boards for some reason.

We own a cooking island with a vented hood above the stove. Much to my dismay there is an ever boiling caldron of water upon it that magically accepts only alchemical substances. Now since alchemy isn't cooking, I have to believe that it was the designers to have cooking be more than just carving a slab of meat from a cooling carcass or the interesting but unsatisfying experience of using some restaurants grill for meat. Worse yet a living room fireplace (sure come on over for dinner I am going to cook the meal in our formal living room just ignore the nice kitchen through that arch it doesn't work). I could have an outdoor campfire.. I suppose. What about vegetables? Breads? Cookies? No apparently everyone in Llanfair is a carnivore or eats at a restaurant.

Ok sarcasm aside lets consider that it's a coding issue. Cooking involves a container. Perhaps the coding of the skillet would allow one to use the stove to cook. Or at the very least green beans be coded as an alchemical substance to use the mysterious pot of water to make cooked green beans. Perhaps a stew from a chunk of meat.. Now I realize that time and resources for our coders are limited and perhaps that is why condiments, spices and cooked vegetables, meats and even utensils are not available. Well maybe they are I am new here relatively speaking and perhaps some of you can set me straight on this issue. I am not trying to incite a flaming war but I want to be able to cook on our stove. To prepare meals for my family. Yes I can and do use the room description and act to accomplish this now. But it requires the consent of those participating in my role play meal to pretend I am doing the things I am doing. It would be wonderful if I could make something I could actually hand them instead of an imaginary loaf of home baked bread.

With respect and longing,
Elandra
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject:

the only thing that can be cooked in HR is meat carved off of critters, so it isn't like you're not already limited by what you can cook.

that said, all home stoves are (IIRC) coded as alchemy stoves, not cooking stoves, whch is why it isn't working.
Xavain

Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject:

Yeah, pretty much figured that was the why. I believe she's asking for a change.
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject:

Xavain wrote:
Yeah, pretty much figured that was the why.

and i'm pretty much confirming that it is the case.

Quote:
I believe she's asking for a change.

awesome, but a lot of your post was full of "i am trying to talk ultra-elegant" wordings and said things about greenbeans and bread, so even if the stove does get coded to cook meat, it isn't going to do anything else either.

and if the people you roleplay with aren't capable of believing (or just willing to play along with) some bread you give at home is bread you made yourself, maybe you need new people to roleplay with.
Xavain

Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject:

Actually, that's just the way she writes. However, i'll forward all this along to her and see what she wants to say next. She may not be available for a few days though.
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject:

it's also worth pointing out that an object may only be able to take one template at a time.

this is why all stoves, right now, use the alchemy lab stove template, as opposed to the tanning stove template, or the grill template.

i'm no GM, so i don't know if an object can have more than one template, but it's worth keeping in mind.
HR-Shay

Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject:

You could always cook some marshmallows...

Other than that as Yaru said right now the only things you can actually cook are meat, fish and the lovely marshmallows. In the interim you might try moving your fireplace into your kitchen if you actually want to "cook" there until such time as we actually have it to where there is more than just meat and fish to cook, which i doubt we will in Beta.

I highly doubt that we will be making stoves explicitly for cooking because of the fact that we don't have an actual "cooking system" for anything but the meat and fish and honestly, for me personally, my priority is getting Live done so any new systems for Beta are really on my low end of the priority scale.

If you feel the need to actually bake something or cook vegetables in front of your friends and loved ones at the stove in your kitchen, then I would suggest that you go buy what you want before hand and then RP actually making it.

Gotta love RP....
keeping the cause of her torment forever unknown.
 Back to top »
HR-Hannah

Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject:

Shay is pretty much correct on this one. I did fireplaces myself and you CAN cook on those plus they add a very nice profession bonus, as do firepits. Cooking is planned as a system but it isn't very high priority right now due to the massive coding involved.

Once you get into baking and grilling and frying and roasting and sautee... you get into the actual cooking system. I'm not even sure myself how stoves will factor into cooking as they are used mainly for alchemical mixtures. You have the "but I have a stove in my kitchen, it looks like a cooking stove and I bought it that way" arguments then you have the "I put poisonous flowers on that stove, how could you cook on it without killing people" arguments.

Regardless of all that, it doesn't look promising that there will be a complex cooking system in beta unless we put it in beta to test before adding it to live or as a little boon for the players while we are adding it to live. Sorry if this isn't the response you guys were looking for but live is the priority right now.
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject:

Please tell me we'll be able to have propane vs. charcoal grilling debates in Live.

/derail

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject:

It is my intent (and probably the intent of several staff members) that we have an actual, proper cooking system in Live.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Xavain

Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the responces everyone, i'm forwarding to Elandra. Pretty sure this will take care of her issue, though not happily. *chuckles* Least the intention of a fleshed out cooking system in Live should appeal to her.
 Back to top »
Haidee
Bow chicka bow wow

Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
even utensils

For the record, The Osers make plates, cups, bowls, forks, spoons, sporks, etc. So there ARE utensils.
Inside an intricately beaded twilight black suede corset with hot pink lacings you see a buttery nipple, a buttery nipple, a steaming pile of gamojab poop, a speckled red crab, a chocolate chip brownie, a map of Haelrahv, a huge blonde hair ball, a severed Haidee head, and your boobs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject:

Haidee wrote:
Quote:
even utensils

For the record, The Osers make plates, cups, bowls, forks, spoons, sporks, etc. So there ARE utensils.

the Osers sure know how to be, i mean, uh, make, tools.
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject:

Useless Trivia #1131: The first system Mickey was ever assigned was a robust cooking and baking system. Then the GM with all the offline notes inexplicably disappeared.

To make a long story short, don't tell it.

I may be going nowhere, but I'm going nowhere fast.
---
Kelvin Watt says, "I stopped drinking coke when no longer drinking beer didn't make my gut disappear."
---
Kaelin Rae says, "Wait a minute..."
Kaelin Rae says, "You mean they have a COKE machine that dispenses beer."
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
Kaelin Rae says, "Greaser."
Kaelin Rae looks at you and sighs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tao

Post Posted: Tue May 23, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject:

There used to be a shop called Happy Camper on Chodaku that sold smore ingredients and I think hotdogs and stuff for cooking but its closed now.
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Player Homes » Stoves and cooking
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: