FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
The New Beginning Poll
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » "Live" Discussions » The New Beginning Poll
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which of these two options would you prefer?
Losing 50-75% of experience in the 'Live' transition to give a 'new beginning' feel
89%
 89%  [ 33 ]
Having two versions of HR, one with a small experience loss, and one with full experience loss
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 37

Milan Fiori

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:45 am    Post subject:

I've been had people wish death on me several times, saying they wish they could kill people again, just for me disagreeing with them, or just defending myself from their insults and teasings. So I'm glad it was done away with. Or I'd have died many times over by now.

And yeah, my opinion would probably change once I put in the man hours. But for now it stays the same!
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:21 am    Post subject:

the majority of those who say things like that are in the mid level range, and generally they know not to act assish because that's when the 100+ step in.
TheTrackerChick
Babe of Doom

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject:

Funny thing is, I really don't see a difference between 100th or a 50th or 10th level player. Except of course for the moola, which of course might be a big thing to some people. But to leave a game because you aren't making money like someone 10 times your level, doesn't make sense to me. And to leave a game because other players are a higher level makes even less sense. We all started out at level 1, the players, maybe not GM's. We hung in there, we wanted to RP, or level, or make money, or for whatever reason we stayed. People have paid their dues, and had fun doing it thankfully. I don't want a necklace or whatever that says, oh hey you stuck it out for 5 years. I'd love experience points! Heh. But to just end my thoughts here, I've loved HR very much and I was and still am completely against the way LIVE might be going to go. I'm not giving up or leaving just because I disagree, somehow I'll figure a way out, and if I can't then at least I tried.

Oh, and there will be PvP again, and stealing I think, correct me if I'm wrong.
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject:

PvP will be back when Mickey is done doing his dark and evil Mickey things to it
ZANQUINRAKEL

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject:

Since I'm coming up on the 50 mark, I guess I'm right in the middle. So long as I can recover what I've lost, I can handle that. In fact, I actually think RPing the loss of my blade will prove interesting.

So long as it is fair to all, there is no real reason (that I see) to leave. While I will miss certain things (my alterations and the ability to march to Chodaku without dealing with the boats), I know I can regain that ability.

I still go with my vote earlier, and while I might not like some of the changes, I'm sure I'll come to like them or at least tolerate them, like I do Armande's fishing.

"You watched it, you can't UN-watch it!"
 Back to top »
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
PvP will be back when Mickey is done doing his dark and evil Mickey things to it

Things that can't even be pointed out on a doll.

To make a long story short, don't tell it.

I may be going nowhere, but I'm going nowhere fast.
---
Kelvin Watt says, "I stopped drinking coke when no longer drinking beer didn't make my gut disappear."
---
Kaelin Rae says, "Wait a minute..."
Kaelin Rae says, "You mean they have a COKE machine that dispenses beer."
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
Kaelin Rae says, "Greaser."
Kaelin Rae looks at you and sighs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Apatheticloser
outcast

Post Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject:

Milan Fiori wrote:
I know my opinion probably means the least since I haven't even been playing the game a month yet. But I know was really discouraged at first, when I came into the game, and more than half the population was level 100+.

The game I used to play, wiped all experience but gave out a Crown of Laurels in Gold, Silver or Bronze depending on when you joined. I know it doesn't seem like much, but they came to be really loved, and envied by those who didn't have them. You could do something like that, but since you have item bonus' and what not, you could easily give them like +1,+2, or +3 to all stats or something.

If Live was to come tomorrow, I'd already feel at a disadvantage simply because most people know more about the new planned systems than I do. So I'd be there totally lost, while everyone else is about their way, with at least a general idea of what's going on. If you add in, they're now also 20, 30, or 50 levels above me right off the bat, basically killing any chance for me to get a jump start on anything, why do I want to stick around again?

I was reading this thread, and I got to this one when I decided I'm bored with it. I'm not looking to the new skill system, and I don't like the idea that 75% of my effort into reaching a 100th level (finally) would be lost. How about we make a new char so we can have fun with the new aspects, without losing that 2million exp.

I know lil about live, just because I don't like the way skills will work in it. So don't feel like you're going to be the only one thats going to be lost, Milan.
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject:

okay, question on those who feel like they'll have lost tons of work.

if you start off in HRII with full skills/stats, then what is the point of making all the content pre-that level?

it isn't like you're going to have to go refight everything, do the same things you did before, and so on. it's a whole new game so you won't be bored repeating the same steps you did just before.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject:

I was thinking about just this very thing a few minutes ago. It made me wonder, what if there was no "Live"? What if we kept the game as-is, added content, but level 100 was essentially the end game and several people had already well reached it (some have experience close to the 200 level mark now.)

I know some of these people play a lot, but others just log in, putz around a bit, and spend most of their time doing nothing until the next new system comes out, at which point one of their many characters dives into it from the top end. I'm glad if they feel they're having lots of fun in Haelrahv with this level of activity, but I don't think it would keep me satisfied as a player.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
epol
Self-Proclaimed Crown Jewel

Post Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject:

I'm a big fan of evolution not revolution.

I would love if the existing game went live and continued to evolve, though it would be nice if the ceiling was raised from level 100 to 200, 300, or something high.

Obviously this thought is significantly different than the current direction Trevor and team are working on, but hearing it mentioned I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject:

epol wrote:
I'm a big fan of evolution not revolution.

I would love if the existing game went live and continued to evolve, though it would be nice if the ceiling was raised from level 100 to 200, 300, or something high.

Obviously this thought is significantly different than the current direction Trevor and team are working on, but hearing it mentioned I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

the problem with the evolution side is that eventually someone may just hit a "wall" and go "you know, in order to really expand things, i need to redo everything from the ground up." i'm pretty sure that's why Live is a whole new ball of wax.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject:

The purpose of Live was purely technical, originally. We realized we built HR poorly. We were careless with resources. It would be too much work (especially with a live audience) to rework all the code, so starting fresh made more sense. Plus, we could use the things we learned in the beta time to make a better game.

From that, we expanded on it more. There's several goals for Live, including to make the world larger, more detailed, more historically immersive and so on. It's not that this couldn't be done by adding to the game as-is, but the game as-is has a lot of flaws. A lot of HR is well written, but a lot of it is also bloated or held together with duct tape here and there. We can do a lot better and even though not all of it will show as visibly to players as it will to staff, a lot of it will be glaringly obvious.

Back to top »
zamde
Maestro

Post Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject:

I figure the argument is more or less moot in light of the rpa-experience sphere/accelerated drain thing that insures we'll all get to see new stuff at lower levels, but I'll put it candidly. And take it as whatever selfishness you want to call it, because I've said up front that's where I'm coming from.

The level cutoff doesn't really impact (or so I'd wager) the bulk of the 100th level character collective, because most of them are likely at or near that effective level and won't see much difference. However, those of us in that near-200 echelon that have been selling our souls to the start-at-6-drain a month beast for upwards of three years may feel that we've already paid our dues (and then some!).

Dixie Pierce says, "I heard Zamde can't have kids cause she lactates poison."

[Telepathy] Yaru Dex projects: I thought Zamde doesn't have kids because her womb is full of aisobs.

You can't spell "slaughter" without 'laughter'.

Llanfair Anti-Cyber Brigade Member #0000
 Back to top »
zamde
Maestro

Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject:

I hate following up my own posts, but.

This is more of an idea than anything, but would there be any sort of chance of having the experience difference above 4,470,000 cap (150th level) applied in some form of compensation/reimbursement/neato-ness in Live? My original suggestion was going to be in the vein of being allowed to apply it to another scratch character, but I realize it would just result in an entirely new batch of high level characters. It wouldn't even have to be payout in terms of experience; I'd settle for a static bonus in the social/political dynamic/influence thing that came up, or anything like that too. Weigh it by tens if you had to (160, 170, 180, etc).

Note: Far be it from me to kick the shit out of a dead horse, but financially it would make more sense for me at present to consolidate standard accounts so that my <150th level 100 characters are on the accounts of my >150 characters so that I'm not paying to keep accounts active for characters who aren't actively gaining anything else in finite Beta for Live. Believe that I'm not keen on taking food out of the mouth of HR, but I can't rationalize keeping on with characters with nothing to gain in a game instance we're trying to get out of. I'm trying real hard to find a compromise here.

Dixie Pierce says, "I heard Zamde can't have kids cause she lactates poison."

[Telepathy] Yaru Dex projects: I thought Zamde doesn't have kids because her womb is full of aisobs.

You can't spell "slaughter" without 'laughter'.

Llanfair Anti-Cyber Brigade Member #0000
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject:

If you feel that you're not gaining anything by having a standard account, certainly I'd suggest you consider not having one. We're not out to milk anyone for money they don't feel is well-spent.

Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » "Live" Discussions » The New Beginning Poll
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: