FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
The "Transition" Poll
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » "Live" Discussions » The "Transition" Poll
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which option do you support most?
Allow carry over of a small amount of experience to characters of exact name/race/gender/etc matches.
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Allow carry over of a moderate amount of experience to characters of exact name/race/gender/etc matches.
27%
 27%  [ 13 ]
Allow carry over of a small amount of experience to characters even if it's to an entirely different character than the one used in beta.
14%
 14%  [ 7 ]
Allow carry over of a moderate amount of experience to characters even if it's to an entirely different character than the one used in beta.
38%
 38%  [ 18 ]
I'd prefer if no experience is carried over, let us start completely fresh.
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
I'd prefer if no experience is carried over, let us start completely fresh, but give us some kind of special items, titles or something from our achievements in beta.
12%
 12%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 47

Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 7:09 am    Post subject:

Distances are supposed to mean something, regardless of the fact that people will use a rift potion to move five rooms. Confused

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject:

Brokyn wrote:
Distances are supposed to mean something, regardless of the fact that people will use a rift potion to move five rooms. Confused

--William

i'm aware of that. i'm also aware that's why a once a day teleport item would be nice and not just some useless thing. Razz
Josie
Everyone wants to be me!

Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject:

I'm sure I'll prolly piss a few people off with my post here so I'm sorry if it irks you ahead of time but I just have to comment...

I know that we all really love our characters and that we have worked a long time on them. A few of us have been here for since before Beta even existed, I know personally I have put time and effort into my character for over 3.5 years now. That being said, we have all also known that the time would come when we would switch over to live, that we wouldn’t be able to take any items, money, etc. just our experience and not much of that. So now that the time has come where Trevor is hinting that Live may be coming sooner than later (which we still don’t know how long that might be), some are now wanting more than that (i.e. the lists of uber rare things for our live characters) as appreciation for helping in beta.

I hate to say it, and you’ll probably be pissed but damn that sounds so greedy, especially when I read the lists of what you guys were wanting. To even have the choice to have a small amount of our experience to take over is an awesome gift for Trevor to give us. He could just say screw it and everyone will start on an even keel at 0 exp when we migrate to Live, but he didn’t. He’s giving us an opportunity to start a bit ahead of the newcomers, as a way to say thanks for your helping out in beta. To me, that’s gift enough, whether its 10% of my experience or 50% of my experience.

As for the teleportation thingy that Yaru mentioned... we don’t even know how big Live is going to be, so ya it could unbalance things if you’re on one side of the world and are able to teleport clear to the other side. Granted it would be awesome I’m sure, but honestly I think we should be grateful for any little thing Trevor and the other GM’s decide to let us keep and not be demanding more than that.

~J
You forcefully swing your fluffy pillow at Trevor Rage and hit him on the rear sending feathers flying everywhere!
Your swing knocked Trevor Rage down!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject:

We have to put things into a sort of perspective. The world in Live will be large. Very large. We'll explore new ideas not touched to date. A teleport from any location to a town could be much more significant than it seems, whether it's once a day or once a week. I don't want to say okay here's X for being a beta player, then later realize we made a mistake and need to tone down that item.

I remember the alpha/beta periods of HX (now AoH). I remember the simple golden, and I think it was silver, laurels received by alpha/beta players. I had the gold ones of course since I was a Simu employee who got to enjoy Alpha. A few years after the game had opened those laurels were a big deal. Hardly anyone had them, and if they did, they didn't often wear them - you had to take up a head slot useful for other things to do so. When I wore them, people noticed and commented.

Now, I have a couple of things to say about "beta". Firstly, let's be realistic: This is a game. It has provided the level of enjoyment people expect from a game of its type I believe. I'd certainly argue the game has been as expansive as many MUDs and far more expansive than some others. I would assume our veteran players - the bulk of those posting here - have enjoyed the experience. I don't think a "reward" for "playing beta" makes a lot of sense, I mean think about it, both the game and the players benefitted from this time in beta.

However, what does deserve compensation is the fact that we do have to eliminate wealth, inventories, homes, and much experience in order to create a balanced game for the future. In many ways we are more or less going from Haelrahv to a sort of sequel, Haelrahv 2 - and I've thought about labeling it as such. But, I don't think it fits, and neither do I think it fits to completely wipe out all achievements. Some level of experience will be carried over, we will have to decide how much and in what manner.

But, back to point, some level of compensation is due and reasonable because people are going to lose some of their achievements. The alternate would be to call beta HR1 and leave it running as is, and wipe everyone in HR2, but that would be pretty lame. So, we'll devise some sort of reward system which will scale according to your achievements in beta. They won't be overpowering items, they may not even seem "useful" to all players, but they will be unique and they will be a heartfelt gift of thanks for your support and your sacrifice.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject:

Thanks a lot for your consideration, Trevor. Very Happy

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
TheTrackerChick
Babe of Doom

Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject:

Those gold laurels and even silver are very very rare in AOH now, but they're well respected. I'd love to see that kind of similar respect towards the Beta testers in HR. A title would be something I could appreciate also. I personally wouldn't want to see something like a weapon, or armor or something that gives an advantage given out. I'm quite confident you'll come up with something we'll be happy to have. You always do. Smile

Looking forward to LIVE!!
jade
Soldier of the '?'th Century

Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: The Beta Honours Bit

Regarding acknowledgement of our contributions to Beta, I only have a few things to say.

Given a choice between . . .

Code:
You are Beta-Survivor Jade Venra the Just, a Darju Trooper.
You have dark brown eyes and a brown complexion.
You have short feathered dark brown hair.
You have a weathered face.
You have a well-muscled build.
You stand 5' 3" tall, and you are young for a Darju.
You are pierced with a pair of small stud earrings of a milky-jade hue that seems to glow with a soothing soft-green light.
You feel spiritual.

You are not holding anything.
You are wearing an advanced communicator, a dark green insignia patch, a military issue black tee shirt, some knee length green trunks, intricately engraved drachna band inlaid with specks of white jade around the circumference, a brightly glowing pin reading “Ask me about my accomplishments in Beta!” and a polished golden pin reading “Back in my day, Beta was all we had!”

OR

Code:
You are Jade Venra, a Darju.
You have dark brown eyes and a brown complexion.
You have short feathered dark brown hair.
You have a brooding face.
You have a well-muscled build.
You stand 5' 3" tall, and you are young for a Darju.
You are pierced with a pair of small stud earrings of a milky-jade hue that seems to glow with a soothing soft-green light.
You feel spiritual.

You are not holding anything.
You are wearing an advanced communicator, a dark green insignia patch, a military issue black tee shirt, some knee length green trunks, and an intricately engraved drachna band inlaid with specks of white jade around the circumference.

I’d much rather become the latter in Live, and engage others in discussion about Beta (Sonny, the things I could tell you!) as seems appropriate. At the very least, if we from Beta are going to be remembered as such, I’d like whatever form that takes to be something easily explained in in-character terms. In other words, in Live, I’d like to see a “We Built this City” theme (however lacking in verifiable substance) rather than an overt reference to the Beta-version of a game.

As to the rest of Live discussion, I've seen no reason yet to break away from sheer optimism.
You say, "For all, temperance."
You say, "But justice is worthy for its own sake."
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Haidee
Bow chicka bow wow

Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
A teleport from any location to a town could be much more significant than it seems

At the beginning, March of the Golden Tree Path was supposed to teleport a Performer to Virtuoso (Performer/Artisan city in Live, for those of you that don't know). Is this not going to be the case? /sidetrack
Inside an intricately beaded twilight black suede corset with hot pink lacings you see a buttery nipple, a buttery nipple, a steaming pile of gamojab poop, a speckled red crab, a chocolate chip brownie, a map of Haelrahv, a huge blonde hair ball, a severed Haidee head, and your boobs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Haidee
Bow chicka bow wow

Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject:

Code:
I remember the alpha/beta periods of HX (now AoH). I remember the simple golden, and I think it was silver, laurels received by alpha/beta players. I had the gold ones of course since I was a Simu employee who got to enjoy Alpha. A few years after the game had opened those laurels were a big deal. Hardly anyone had them, and if they did, they didn't often wear them - you had to take up a head slot useful for other things to do so. When I wore them, people noticed and commented.

I REALLY like this idea for something. Not really a useful gift, but one that obviously displays where we came from in a IC fashion.
Inside an intricately beaded twilight black suede corset with hot pink lacings you see a buttery nipple, a buttery nipple, a steaming pile of gamojab poop, a speckled red crab, a chocolate chip brownie, a map of Haelrahv, a huge blonde hair ball, a severed Haidee head, and your boobs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
TheTrackerChick
Babe of Doom

Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject:

Oh poo on you with the title!! Of course I don't want that!. Just a token, something inconspicuous would be great. I think those laurels worked well in AOH. And there were gold, silver and bronze, depending on when you started testing.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject:

Haidee wrote:
Quote:
A teleport from any location to a town could be much more significant than it seems

At the beginning, March of the Golden Tree Path was supposed to teleport a Performer to Virtuoso (Performer/Artisan city in Live, for those of you that don't know). Is this not going to be the case? /sidetrack

The whole discussion of teleport-to-town stuff doesn't apply to profession abilities. Those we'll adjust as needed for balance, but some classes do get teleportation type abilities, period.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Morgana

Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject:

I didn't mean to start something that sounded greedy. My apologies.

But I just really feel the need to explain where I am coming from.

I completely understand the need to not have uber characters in a brand new game, which "live" will be. I also understand the reasonings (makes sense) of not have special, only me abilities.

It's that I thought this folder was for the Real Life discussions, and I rarely if ever visit that. So I haven't heard what many have already gotten use to.

I knew nothing would transfer over to the new game but experience. I didn't realize it would be a percentage of experience. So I apologize once more for just having understood that, and not reading this folder earlier. It makes sense, it still took me off guard.

~Morgie
jade
Soldier of the '?'th Century

Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Rejoinder

*chuckle* No worries, Inaira, and yes, my fault for not being clear. I posted the two extremes in order to just clear up any confusion as to where I stand on Live, and not directly in reply to your idea about recognition.

I agree with what Trevor said, in that the financial loss we will experience at transfer to Live seems to be more the kind of thing that merits acknowledgement over just having been part of Beta. But then again, Haelrahv was (and is) my first and final online text-based role-playing game. Thus, I lack the experience many other players might have with Beta-Live transfers.

Jade/I will surely be happy to talk about what Beta was like, especially with newcomers, for the sake of explanation, or in OOC contexts. But overall, I prefer to let the topic come up as it may, without appearing to solicit such. A purely ornamental item similar to the laurel you describe would be just fine.

You say, "For all, temperance."
You say, "But justice is worthy for its own sake."
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject:

Maybe one of the "perks" of having played extensively throughout beta could be a gaggle of alteration merchants? Perhaps ones that charge Wal-Mart sized prices, if not completely free altogether? I'm not aiming at extensively verb'd items, just item descriptions. I've gone through so many alterations it's crazy (though I'm sure there are some that've used way more than me), and I'd hate to have to wait another three years to accumulate all this stuff again.

Wink

And come on, these Osers buttons need to be recreated the instant Live opens. They're just that awesome.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Hannah

Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject:

Someone has to be the bad guy, I guess.

We have been very loose with alterations, merchants, etc. in beta. Probably way more than we should have been. This is our (the staff's) fault, don't get me wrong but there have been price fluctuations between merchants, ooc if not questionable alterations done, and other things that will not happen in live.

So what I'm getting at is...

Quote:
Maybe one of the "perks" of having played extensively throughout beta could be a gaggle of alteration merchants? Perhaps ones that charge Wal-Mart sized prices, if not completely free altogether?

Highly doubtful, not because we don't love you all and not because we don't want to spoil you all rotten... just simply because we can't go into live automatically screwing up game balance. If we were going to do that we might as well keep beta and trash live which I think nobody wants.
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » "Live" Discussions » The "Transition" Poll
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: