Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Eolaish Lexicon
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Eolai » Eolaish Lexicon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Eolaish Lexicon

Following suit with the Darju, I'm starting this thread to promote discussion for anything involving Eolaish. Whether it be for additions to the true lexicon or just slang terminology, post your ideas here. Maybe we'll get lucky and our ideas will be published in an in-game book someday!

For starters, let me go ahead and post what words are already part of the Eolaish Lexicon. This should help accelerate proposals, since you won't have to go buy the book or borrow it from someone.
Code:
 Aeceo       - Air.
 Aefae       - Pride.
 Aena        - Beauty.
 Aereoae     - Animals of the air.
 Aeteo       - Elder, leader; literally "I'm lesser than you."
 Aiba        - Elder god.
 Aisaet      - Jewelry, anything worn for adornment.
 Akaile      - Yes.
 Ekoe        - Land.
 Eoba        - Lesser god.
 Eobai       - Goodbye.
 Eoni        - Nation.
 Eoreo       - Food.
 Eoshai      - Greeting, hello.
 Esakai      - Animals of the land.
 Inaesheo    - Lesser, lower ranked person; literally "I'm above you."
 Isheai      - No.
 Isotai      - Profanity; means "not of the Eolai race" or "not Eolaish".
 Lli         - Twilight.
 Ocha        - Animals of the sea.
 Onaetaishie - Training/raising (as in servants and children).
 Oshib       - Sea.

The language pamphlet:
Code:
Elements:
Fire   - Itai
Ice    - Oshen
Water  - Oshai
Earth  - Eokai
Air    - Aeceo
Shadow - Isafae
Light  - Efae

Consonants: B, C, Ch, F, K, L, N, R, S, Sh, T, W
Vowels/Vowel Combinations: A, E, O, I, Ae, Eo, Ai.
Word Ending: A, Ae, Ai, or E.

Eolai Holidays:
HR-Trevor wrote:
Ateon Festival (Eolai) – 20th through 28th day of Icorae - celebration of nature and its beauty, combined with a religious holiday revering Ateon.

Areolaianes (Eolai) – 88th day of Jojun - named after the Great Journey it celebrates that journey and their duty as caretakers of Haelrahv. It is their responsibility to be especially friendly to the other races on this day and hardcore Eolai actually travel to an unknown area for the day.

**The low amount of Eolai holidays is mainly for the fact that they believe every day is a tribute to their greatness; each sunrise celebrates their life and duty to Haelrahv.

Eolai deities:
Code:
 Aroai  - Goddess of Charm and Beauty
 Ateon  - God of Nature and Purity
 Ekoe   - God of Protection and Strength
 Ilafai - God of the Undead and Torment
 Lli    - God of Dreams and Twilight
 Oshib  - God of Wisdom and Knowledge

Right off the bat, we can see that the Eolai make a connection between the sea and intelligence. This goes hand-in-hand with the Eolai being a very nature oriented race. Yes, I'm giving you all super basic information, but some of it does bear repeating in these sorts of conversations.

As a side note, the elements listed above are the archaic versions that are still used for ceremonial purposes in today's culture. If you want to refer to one of them (e.g., fire) in a common way, you would want use a more modern version. I've listed my suggestions for these modern versions in a post below. If you would like it to be something else, feel free to make your opinion known.

I was about to post the names of trees and metals that were named after the Eolai, but after checking the "Wood List" thread (Announcements from Staff folder), most of them seem to follow the Eolaish motif, so I'm not going to take up even more space by re-posting all of that. In the "Metal List" thread, a few of them seem to be named by Eolai, but most seem to fall into the domain of the other languages (mostly Jaddan, I think).

Other than those lists, I suppose mentioning Esia is a good idea. For those that don't know, here's a little tidbit (posted by Counselor Morrigan) on the city:
HR-Morrigan wrote:
Settled by the Eolai over 300 years ago, Esia has remained racially pure, inhabited solely by the descendants of its founders.

A council of seven Elders currently governs the isle from its capital Aena Sur. In the past Esia had been ruled by a monarchy, but the tyrannical leadership of King Eseo led to the creation of their current system. Each year, the council selects a representative from among their administrative ranks to appear at the Consortium. Chosen for the fifth year in a row, Irinae Eceol will again speak for the council this year.

Clearly, we're a very vowel-based society. We can't get enough of them. But we also seem to avoid hard sounding consonants, though there are a few exceptions up there. So let's try and keep that theme as much as possible, but try not to have a vowel orgy.

I suppose my first contribution will be that "Eolai" is both singular and plural without needing any changes (much like "fish" and "sheep" in English/Common). If anyone begs to differ, by all means post about it.

Maybe, just maybe, we can setup discussion meetings in the OOC Area if this new fad picks up enough steam. And maybe, just maybe, we can find someone that's taken at least an entry level linguistics class to help us. Very Happy

If you have anything you'd like to try and promote, post it in this thread. I'll be reserving the second post as a "collection" sort of deal, so that if any Counselor wants to peruse our ideas it'll be a one-stop-shop for them.

--William

PS: Thanks to the Darjus for starting this craze!

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points

Last edited by Brokyn on Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:34 pm; edited 6 times in total
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject:

This space reserved for future use in collecting all ideas brought up in this thread.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
Haidee
Bow chicka bow wow

Post Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Eolaish Lexicon

Brokyn wrote:
I suppose my first contribution will be that "Eolai" is both singular and plural without needing any changes

YOUR contribution, hm? *raised eyebrow*

Actual help to follow.
Inside an intricately beaded twilight black suede corset with hot pink lacings you see a buttery nipple, a buttery nipple, a steaming pile of gamojab poop, a speckled red crab, a chocolate chip brownie, a map of Haelrahv, a huge blonde hair ball, a severed Haidee head, and your boobs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject:

Fine. That was a SHARED contribution from Haidee and myself.

But I do have a question for Morrigan (or any other Counselor that would know this stuff):
    As far as social standing, are males and females viewed as equals in the eyes of Eolai? I'd like to think this would be reflected in the language; if they're seen as equals, then Eolaish more than likely wouldn't have masculine and feminine modifications. This might be a logical fallacy, but I'm willing to make the leep if everyone else is.

I'll try and come up with more questions later.

--William

[Edit:] Morrigan answered this at the first Language Discussion. Eolaish has masculine and feminine forms of nouns. The masculine ending is "O", while the feminine ending is "A".

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points

Last edited by Brokyn on Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject:

Brought up in the first language discussion with Morrigan, here's what I've come up with for the modern forms of the elements:

Code:
   Fire   - Itaiae
   Ice    - Oshenai
   Water  - Oshaiae
   Earth  - Eokaiae
   Air    - Aeceonai
   Shadow - Isafaerai
   Light  - Efaerai

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points

Last edited by Brokyn on Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
HR-Beau
The Good Fairy

Post Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject:

I'll post the words I've come up with over time as soon as I get a chance to make a list of them.
If there is one thing in the world that I know, love conquers all, it trancends time and space, defies all odds, and can bring you back from the darkness, it is the guiding light that helps bring you in from the rough stormy seas of life, and it remains even after you have gone.
~ Adam ~

www.angeluserratus.net
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Tue May 09, 2006 2:11 am    Post subject:

To bide some more time before the big chunks of goodies get offered, I'll make more suggestion posts. Haidee and I are working on these at random, so some of them might be all over the place. I'll be editing this as we go through the words.

Code:
Eolaish  --  Common

achi     --  drugs; literally "mind charmer"
akaere   --  friend; literally "I'm equal to you."
arai     --  clothing
ichoifo  --  profanity; half-breed, offense to nature
isorai   -–  idiot, literally “one with no knowledge”.
oko      --  book
oraillai --  teacher

Ichoifo can also be applied to Eolai that mate with non-Eolai, since such is quite a huge social faux-pas.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
Wei Wao
Woah

Post Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject:

Any more words lately? I've been itching for some more Eolaish. Smile

"That's not breakfast, that's a vendetta!"-Jimmy Shubert
 Back to top »
Haidee
Bow chicka bow wow

Post Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject:

Silly Alteri. Whatcha want Eolai for?
Inside an intricately beaded twilight black suede corset with hot pink lacings you see a buttery nipple, a buttery nipple, a steaming pile of gamojab poop, a speckled red crab, a chocolate chip brownie, a map of Haelrahv, a huge blonde hair ball, a severed Haidee head, and your boobs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Haidee wrote:
Silly Alteri. Whatcha want Eolai for?

we like to play a game where we toss a big bag full of bright neon foam 'o's, 'e's, 'a's and 'k's into the air and see what eolai word is formed.

"ooekakoeskaoeo? that's what they call a big nose!"
Wei Wao
Woah

Post Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject:

Cause I was adopted by an Eolai couple. Smile

Back to top »
Tylen
Alpha Antifemale

Post Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:46 am    Post subject:

Wei Wao wrote:
Cause I was adopted by an Eolai couple. Smile

Imagine that. Another orphan.

Was it fire or bandits?
** The phrase "break a leg" just wasn't ambitious enough for Mellie Knight. [8:31 pm]
** Mellie Knight was soundly defeated by Aesal Anari-Idia in the Zgedhi Gkenrzeg Rav! [8:31 pm]
 Back to top »
Wei Wao
Woah

Post Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject:

Hey, no need to be a smart ass. And as if you truly cared enough to know, Wei's biological father and aunt are very much alive...but in Wargale and Virtuoso respectively. This is all explained in her Wiki biography but somehow, I wouldn't expect you to have read it before tossing out insults. I could say more about the adoption, but I really don't feel the need to justify it further to you.

It saddens me that a request for more information with which to roleplay is met with condescent instead of....more information.

That being said...is there any more information on more Eolaish words?

Back to top »
Dzynna
Shadow Master

Post Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject:

To Wei:
1. That's just Aesal. Dzynna acts like a shit in game. Don't take it personally.
2. Don't get so defensive...it only encourages certain people to attack you.
3. Not everyone likes or reads the HR wiki. I really can't stand the way wikis (any of them) are laid out and truly dislike the open edit 'feature'. I like organized and concise websites with final editing rights by select people. Personal preference. To each their own.

General Topic:
I'd also like to see more Eolaish words, as I'd like to see more language development/history/RP information for ALL races.

Dzynna Zol
-------------------------------------
The Retreat
--------------------------------------
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Wei Wao
Woah

Post Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject:

Dzynna wrote:
To Wei:
1. That's just Aesal. Dzynna acts like a shit in game. Don't take it personally.
2. Don't get so defensive...it only encourages certain people to attack you.
3. Not everyone likes or reads the HR wiki...

I appreciate it, Dzynna but I really wasn't all that upset. I suppose I can see how I'd come off that way, but I was just trying to get my point across.

Actually....I'm surprised no one had much to say about an Alteri being part of an Eolai family. I was definitely expecting some sort of reaction from the Eolai community about it. I don't mind taking some heat, as long as it's a valid arguement. Twisted Evil

Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Eolai » Eolaish Lexicon
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: