FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
question on home design
Goto page 1, 2  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Player Homes » question on home design
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: question on home design

Code:
Mogne Arimaris says, "You will want to DESIGN your home."

Mogne Arimaris says, "You will step over to one of our high tech design terminals.."

Mogne Arimaris says, "And our special software will guide you through the process of designing your rooms."

Mogne Arimaris says, "You can pick your own wall colors and treatments, your own floor coverings, etc."

Mogne Arimaris says, "Literally unlimited in what you can design."

so does this mean room descriptions aren't player writable but just a very very detailed list selection? or was this a very well roleplayed way of saying we can write whatever we want.
Kit
Cybertech Extraordinaire~

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: question on home design

I took it to mean that you would have to choose if you want an indoor/outdoor room...then you'd select the option to change the title...type in your own title... Then you'd select the option to change the room desc...and copy/paste the room desc...

I imagine there will then be an option to move furniture out of the 'storeroom' (where it'll go when you buy it?) and into the room you're working on...and then probably you can pick if you want to see that furniture in the 'you also see' line at the bottom of the room desc or if you want to 'hide' it.

I don't think that it would be possible to move furniture around inside the home, so it probably has to be done by the design terminal. And they were trying to be IC about how you'd do it...saying the choices were infinate and stuff. Technical questions are hard to answer IG.

AIM: KitMurphyHR
Email: yojibalinese@hotmail.com
Technician Database: http://tech.haelrahv.net/
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Josie
Everyone wants to be me!

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject:

well i am under the impression you write your own design...that's how i've taken it any rate. So i have my designs all made and ready to go.

I do have a question if there will be dancing allowed in your homes? I.E. If you want to have a room danceable you can Tap the floor (like That Other game) and when you want it normal again just tap it once more. I would love to have a ballroom/ kinda place for parties and whatnot.
You forcefully swing your fluffy pillow at Trevor Rage and hit him on the rear sending feathers flying everywhere!
Your swing knocked Trevor Rage down!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Back to top »
Josie
Everyone wants to be me!

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject:

Also, at what level can a crat help you with the house? Do they have to be like.. 5th level or can they be 1st level?
You forcefully swing your fluffy pillow at Trevor Rage and hit him on the rear sending feathers flying everywhere!
Your swing knocked Trevor Rage down!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject:

Josie wrote:
Also, at what level can a crat help you with the house? Do they have to be like.. 5th level or can they be 1st level?

pretty sure Dyznna or myself mentioned the crat can start doing stuff at level 10.
Kit

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
Josie wrote:

pretty sure Dyznna or myself mentioned the crat can start doing stuff at level 10.

On that note, while I know Eka and Naru will be out to get everyone that 10%, Matt will be around to help people out as well. He probably can't get you a big discount since he's only level 23, but I don't plan on charging for his use and knowing me, ranting at the design terminal all night long even though I have work the next day, I'll be more than free to have people use my crat.

Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject:

You can write your room description from scratch. Unlike housing in DR, for instance, a room description is not built for you based on the room's contents. Therefore you -must- write a room description if you want anything of value as your room text. The process is to visit the Interior Design area of Aramaris Realty, choose to modify a room's description, and choose which room you wish to do this for. All your interior and lawn homes will be listed to choose from. Changing room title works in a similar fashion.

As far as furnishings go, when you buy it, you are asked which room to place it in and it goes there immediately. To be honest, homes are such a huge project, it's easy to overlook basic things, and I just realized I don't think I made it where you can MOVE furniture from one room to another yet. Yet.

I'm considering allowing Jaddan (only) to move furniture within the home, so you could get a Jaddan friend to help you out if you want. Otherwise you'd use the design terminal to move furnishings.

If you don't want furnishings to show in the 'You also see' line, you can indeed HIDE that piece, and if you change your mind, you can UNHIDE it. The piece can be interacted with fully when hidden.

There aren't any special dance mechanics for homes at this time, but we could very well add them. We didn't pattern -anything- in our home system after any other game out there. Still, we don't mind requests for stuff and if we can add it and like the idea, we will.

Bureaucrats must be level 10 to help with homes.

I think that answers all the questions, let me know if I missed one. Still waking up.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject:

What about those out there that really don't have much in the way of writing skills? Is there some option to allow for a generated room description? Sort of like in the CM, where you can pick specific characteristics for your character, you could go through a similar process for your home if you wanted to.

In all honesty, while I think I could compose a bang-up room description, I don't think I would want to worry about it all that much. I'd more than likely go through a generator if I had the choice. Saves time and all that, you know.

--William

[Edit:] Oh. Will those of us without standard accounts be able to peruse the furniture store(s)? I'm tempted to shell out the money just for a home, even though it'd only be a hovel/hut at this point, but only if I know I can get the type of furniture I want.

And yeah, I know someone's bound to be awesome and create a detailed list of furniture and post it eventually (<cough>Yaru</cough>).

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
Kit

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject:

Though I'm not amazing, if anyone needs help with stuff, I don't mind. ^.^ I wish I could own ten houses just to write upt the discriptions. I don't think there's anything 'typically housish' in any of the discriptions I write though. Well...Kit's bedroom will look like a bedroom. Sorta.

But maybe there should be an option for having something prefab.

You could have a basic room layout and select a color (type in the color or a string of adjectives) for each item. For instance...

Main Menu - Decor
1. Wall
2. Floor
3. Ceiling
etc

Selecting a floor would get you:

Type in the discription of your floor:

you type in 'yellow fluffy carpet.'

And then, since the room desc is a pre-fab, the 'floor' in the desc would change to 'yellow fluffy carpet.'

Maybe that's too complicated.

Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject:

There's -nothing- that will generate a description for you, and while we could indeed write one, it seems a waste of precious dev time to me. These rooms are only viewed by who you allow in your home, and if you have people visiting, surely some of them could help you with a description if you don't feel up to it. And having a poor room description isn't really a crime. It's in a private location, which is why we allow you to describe your home as you want inside. Shoot, it doesn't even have to be IC if you really don't want to be IC, that's up to you to decide. Of course, most visitors wouldn't like entering a very OOC atmosphere, though.

The reason homes in other games have auto-built descriptions is purely because they don't let you build custom descriptions, not as a cool "option". I think that even spending this time on one more tent or one more game for the fest would be time better spent, honestly.

Anyone can visit the furniture stores, they just can't buy furniture unless they own a home.

Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
Anyone can visit the furniture stores, they just can't buy furniture unless they own a home.

this is probably more a mickey/valla question, and i also know that player crafted furniture may/is a bit more/far far more down the road, but how is player crafted furniture going to work if things go straight from store to home?
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
The reason homes in other games have auto-built descriptions is purely because they don't let you build custom descriptions, not as a cool "option". I think that even spending this time on one more tent or one more game for the fest would be time better spent, honestly.

Ah, I understand. I hadn't thought of the time needed to code something like that. Nevermind.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject:

I'm not aware of any plans for player crafted furnishings at the moment (but that would be great!) but we'd have to tackle it then. It's rather easy to move furnishings into a home, it's just a matter of how we choose to make it make sense IC.

Like if you make a table, you really shouldn't be able to make that just anywhere, nor carry it around. Too heavy. So it should be made in appropriate location, then moved. However, a chair should be something you can carry and place in a home (which would then make it "stick" in the home).

Back to top »
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
how is player crafted furniture going to work if things go straight from store to home?

This is most likely a bridge we'll cross when we get to it. I'm not sure about Valla, but I personally don't have an answer at present.

To make a long story short, don't tell it.

I may be going nowhere, but I'm going nowhere fast.
---
Kelvin Watt says, "I stopped drinking coke when no longer drinking beer didn't make my gut disappear."
---
Kaelin Rae says, "Wait a minute..."
Kaelin Rae says, "You mean they have a COKE machine that dispenses beer."
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
Kaelin Rae says, "Greaser."
Kaelin Rae looks at you and sighs.
 Back to top »
Kit

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject:

Suggestion...and not just about artisan furniture, but all artisan/tech/medic goods somewhere down the road.

I was thinking of something like a warehouse or a system run store.. A player can sell an item, in this case, a piece of interesting furniture (or later, linens, medicines, gadgets), to the store. The store than has that item for sale (at an increased price, of course), and another player can buy it from there...

I really take things to the ultimate of level of complication!

Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Player Homes » question on home design
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: