FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
virii and driods
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Technicians » virii and driods
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject:

Kit wrote:
soundless wrote:
there's a difference between lots of upkeep and no upkeep at all. look at how organizers work. if a crat leaves one on 24/7, the virii can add up. but if used when only needed, all is well.

Takes my crat over a week to get viruses on his organizer... And he's in all the time of late.

Yaru, you're being argumentative for the sake of being argumentative over nothing really.

...except i never said how often they should need upkeep. if it's the standard that every week or so an organizer needs a once over, then droids can go for the same thing. i said "like comm chips and organizers". i don't get where that translated to "every hour on the hour you must repair a droid for 30 minutes" or whatevr.

Quote:
And like I said, it'd be different if it was repairs. There's no reason to have upkeep in my own opinion.

and you're saying i'm just arguging for the sake of it? Razz

saying "a droid should need the occasional repair from wear and tear" and "a droid should occasionally need to be cleaned of a virus or two" is the same thing. the goal is to make techs do stuff to their droids other than the rare upgrade every X levels so there is a stronger connection between the tech and the droid. it also gives techs a way to train repair as well as encourage them to be remembered as more than walking bonus points.
Kit
Cybertech Extraordinaire~

Post Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject:

Now, what I would like to see for droids would be repairs to over-used things...like if a droid is constantly in alchemy mode, you'd have to take out the lab and fix it. It's make puting it in idle mode more useful. Or, perhaps recharing a power supply for the less expensive ones.

And, of course, when droid combat comes out, fixing the different body parts of a droid will be one of the coolest things of being a tech. ^.^

AIM: KitMurphyHR
Email: yojibalinese@hotmail.com
Technician Database: http://tech.haelrahv.net/
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject:

Kit wrote:
Now, what I would like to see for droids would be repairs to over-used things...like if a droid is constantly in alchemy mode, you'd have to take out the lab and fix it. It's make puting it in idle mode more useful. Or, perhaps recharing a power supply for the less expensive ones.

...so what i said, only with more words about specifics?

i'm glad we're in agreement then. techs should have to take care of droids Razz
Apatheticloser
outcast

Post Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:46 am    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
Kit wrote:

...so what i said, only with more words about specifics?

i'm glad we're in agreement then. techs should have to take care of droids Razz

No. You were for constant upkeep, not wear and tear. and you would remember this if you wernt just argueing for the sake of being arguementive. and why would you care about the connection between a tech and a drone? Verdi, kit, and myself all interact with our drones/droid, Your not a technician main, so in my opinion, yours has no weight on this lil detail.

EDIT: yes, I've gotten hostle at this point.
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:21 am    Post subject:

Apatheticloser wrote:
No. You were for constant upkeep, not wear and tear. and you would remember this if you wernt just argueing for the sake of being arguementive.

actually, if you look back and remember, i said "give it an upkeep similar to 'crat computers" not "constant upkeep." someone else said that.

Quote:
yours has no weight on this lil detail.

good thing that non-techs giving ideas on what to add to techs isn't based on your schematics, then, huh.
HR-Faith
OCD Grammar Perfectionist

Post Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:36 am    Post subject:

Apatheticloser wrote:
No. You were for constant upkeep, not wear and tear. and you would remember this if you wernt just argueing for the sake of being arguementive. and why would you care about the connection between a tech and a drone? Verdi, kit, and myself all interact with our drones/droid, Your not a technician main, so in my opinion, yours has no weight on this lil detail.

EDIT: yes, I've gotten hostle at this point.

I'd like to step in here and say a couple of things.

First of all, these are not 'those other' boards. While we do not censor, we also do not appreciate nor tolerate hostility. If the hostility toward others (whether those others be players or GMs) continues, most likely the GMs you want to read your posts, respond to your concerns and answer your questions are going to be moved to simply ignore all of your posts. This isn't the first time a GM has said this. Hopefully it will be the last.

If you wish to argue, do it in a non-hostile, adult fashion, citing reasons for your dislike of the IDEA, not for dislike of the person or dislike that the person is "butting in" to your profession.

Secondly, we accept posting of ideas for any profession from any profession. Just because someone is not of that profession doesn't mean we won't listen to their ideas. I'm the Medic guru, but I have received (and even approved a few from) suggestions by other professions (including Techs). We look for what makes sense in a game balance way, not for realism and not simply because the person is part of that profession. Does this mean this suggestion will get approved? Well, that is not my department, I'm neither approving nor denying the suggestion which started this entire thread. I'm more commenting on the thread itself.

Have a pleasant day.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." -- Bilbo Baggins --
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Apatheticloser
outcast

Post Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:43 am    Post subject:

I believed the person was being over aguementive, and not actually suggesting anything, mearing repeating over and over that techs need more work. I found this to be hostle, so yes, I responded with hostility.
 Back to top »
HR-Faith

Post Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:00 am    Post subject:

Apatheticloser wrote:
I believed the person was being over aguementive, and not actually suggesting anything, mearing repeating over and over that techs need more work. I found this to be hostle, so yes, I responded with hostility.

And the comment I made about ignoring people who post overly hostile was aimed at ANYONE who posts in a hostile manner.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." -- Bilbo Baggins --
 Back to top »
Apatheticloser
outcast

Post Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:03 am    Post subject:

HR-Faith wrote:
Apatheticloser wrote:

And the comment I made about ignoring people who post overly hostile was aimed at ANYONE who posts in a hostile manner.

I was quoted, so I felt I needed to respond.

I didnt think the provider of my wonderful vodka would pick on me too. though, most of the items you mentioned were aimed to me.
 Back to top »
HR-Faith

Post Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:20 am    Post subject:

I most definitely was not 'picking on' you. I am trying to stop a disturbing trend lately of people posting with hostility, be it directed at whoever.

Back to top »
Apatheticloser
outcast

Post Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: virii and driods

thats a good idea, and threads going off topic should stop aswell.

soundless wrote:
i always found it odd that 'crat computers can get all fudged up from virii stuff but droids and drones never need any upkeep.

i know techs can hack them to improve certain things, but there's never any need to maintain what is probably the most complicated bit of technology in the game at the time.

while i don't know how much techs would love to repair their robot pals too often, i do keep getting this feeling that many techs just want to sometimes play the repairman on their fancy tech toys. fixing their bots could be a good way for a tech to play as someone who likes fixing technology without having to resort to sitting around CC asking people if they want their comm chips repaired.

Actual reply:
First off, those of us that sit around CC asking if anyone needs a repair, Are doing it to be kind, and friendly.

I believe kit answered your upkeep question best:

kit wrote:

And, of course, when droid combat comes out, fixing the different body parts of a droid will be one of the coolest things of being a tech. ^.^

We dont actually use up supplies with our drones/droids, as they arnt actively doing anything for us.

Personally: a technician is not a repairman and a drone is not a "fancy tech toy" My drone is named Abigale, and she is my parter in crime. While I would do anything required to keep her with me, I do not think that my drone is going to suddenly break down. Drones do need more hand2hand interaction, and that will happen when droid combat is actually released, and we need to repair the parts when they are damaged, like you would with cyberware. (also, I think that a cyber eye interacting with the human brain is alot more complicated then a mechanical drone that follows you around following commands -let me add in that cyberware does not need upkeep unless you go into combat and get it damaged-)

I would hate to need to upkeep my drone, though, the few things that kit mentioned sound like good idea's.

Do you have any specific suggestions soundless?
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: virii and driods

Apatheticloser wrote:
I would hate to need to upkeep my drone, though, the few things that kit mentioned sound like good idea's.

the fun thing is that kit said exactly what i said, only i said "droids should need upkeep over time" while kit said "droids that are used a lot should need occasional repairs." i figured the "being used" part was a given, but i guess kit needed to clarify. or kit just needed to be a tech making the idea okay.

you really do just like to rant like a madperson, i think.

Quote:
a technician is not a repairman and a drone is not a "fancy tech toy" My drone is named Abigale

Quote:
a cyber eye interacting with the human brain is alot more complicated then a mechanical drone that follows you around following commands

you need to decide if you see droids as so advanced and cool that they don't need repair, or so completely simple that they don't need repair. it seems, from what you're saying, that droids are great things that are personal friends but dumber than eyeballs.

and it's awesome that you named your droid, but the fact is that droids are giant robot pals that techs get. they are also the only technology i know of that never suffers from wear and tear usage. medic equipment breaks down (from use, since i have to point it out), as do 'crat computers (from use), everyone's comms (from use), all cybergear (from use), and so on.

just because your character's robot is your character's best friend and has a name doesn't mean the robot is magically immune to ever having to be taken care of
Apatheticloser
outcast

Post Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: virii and driods

soundless wrote:
Apatheticloser wrote:

the fun thing is that kit said exactly what i said, only i said "droids should need upkeep over time" while kit said "droids that are used a lot should need occasional repairs." i figured the "being used" part was a given, but i guess kit needed to clarify. or kit just needed to be a tech making the idea okay.

I take that as a no. and the rest of your comment as a hostle threat(IE: I mentioned that it has a name to say that I do interact with my drone, because you stated that we do no such thing, thank you for taking a quote out of context, again.). and kit stated that a drone/droid in a certain mode for extended ammounts of time should need that mode repaired. it takes an actual suggestion with some detail to make it okay. not, "I think they arnt doing enough, they need more work.. oh, I know upkeeping! because if an oragizer gets attacked by viral things, surly a drone does too!" even though a drone is mostly hardware, and an oraganizer is fully software.

grated, I do agree that we need more to do with drones, I do not agree with constant upkeep.

I know I rant, I'm an opinionated person.(and my commant about the cybereye states that I view the human brain as the most complicated machine known to man)

okay I'm done, unless something important is actually posted. And not just half-whitted insults.
 Back to top »
Kit
Cybertech Extraordinaire~

Post Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: virii and driods

soundless wrote:

Uh. When you said 'upkeep' I thought you meant having to fix them constantly or debug them. Wear and tear from use is different. At least to me. And that would not be fixing the droid...it would be fixing a say...the toolchest. or the chemical processor. Taking it out and patching it up or replacing it...that's work on parts, not so much on droids....and certainly not viruses! Perhaps it was a technicality. I was sleepy last night.

And another technicality...cyberwear doesn't break down from use. Only if it gets hit. My tracker, who doesn't hunt, has never needed a tech for his gear.

AIM: KitMurphyHR
Email: yojibalinese@hotmail.com
Technician Database: http://tech.haelrahv.net/
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: virii and driods

Kit wrote:
Uh. When you said 'upkeep' I thought you meant having to fix them constantly or debug them. Wear and tear from use is different. At least to me. And that would not be fixing the droid...it would be fixing a say...the toolchest. or the chemical processor. Taking it out and patching it up or replacing it...that's work on parts, not so much on droids....and certainly not viruses! Perhaps it was a technicality. I was sleepy last night.

i view upkeep as anything that requires you to do something to keep something active. spells wear off - upkeep. medic equipment need repairs - upkeep. meditations constantly drain focus - upkeep. so on. none of those are really constant (and some are more background things, like the focus drain. not actually requiring you to do something other than not lose too much focus). the upkeep doesn't have to be every hour or whatever. it can maybe require less upkeep as the tech improves, or more upkeep as the stuff inside it improves, or whatever. point is that i find it odd that droids (which do a lot) never really ask for anything other than some initial money to get pumped into them (and while it is a lot, it's not like a ton of money means you can buy something and just forget about it. heck, look at homes. they have an upkeep too).

i see taking out a specific part and fixing it the same as fixing the droid generally, too. honestly, i thought you'd (speaking to kit, here, in particular) like the idea of being able to take apart and put together Beast, as i think that falls more in line with what you'd want to be as a tech (since you tend to really want kit to play with giant machines and so on, as opposed to comm chips and other trivialities).

repairing droids as a whole/specific parts/etc seems like something a tech would like doing, as they're practically the parterners in crime for a lot of techs. just the pure fact that many techs seem to regard droids as having a close bond to them made me go, "You know, they have such a strong relationship but the tech never has to actually maintain the droid at all. that just really sounds odd."
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Technicians » virii and driods
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: