FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Books? Reading? What?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Out of Character Discussions » Books? Reading? What?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject:

Was the George Carlin book any good? I've been tempting to pick that up, too.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
Enverdi
Strange and Exciting

Post Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject:

What did you think of Knife of Dreams, Faith?

I'm dying to know what people's thoughts were. So far I've gotten the same response I gave to it, but I want more!
HR-Faith
OCD Grammar Perfectionist

Post Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject:

The George Carlin book is worthy of reading. Has made me laugh out loud a lot. There are a few places he stalls, but honestly, I've never seen a comedian that could keep me laughing non-stop...and doing it with print is even harder where they can't convey body language and tone. All in all a good funny read though.

The Jordan book - I'm with you. It is SO much better than the last one. Really enjoyed it. Still wish he would hurry up and finish the series so I can go back and read them all in order. But I feel the same about SoT (Terry Goodkind) also. Wink

I also agree with Kit - the entire Magical Kingdom book series by Terry Brook is good.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." -- Bilbo Baggins --
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject:

One of these days I'm going to get around to reading America: The Book.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
One of these days I'm going to get around to reading America: The Book.

awesome book
SoulTorn
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet

Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:46 am    Post subject:

Quote:
But I feel the same about SoT (Terry Goodkind) also.

Fortunately(?) the end is in sight, for that series.

The Chainfire trilogy will end the series.(Chainfire is out, the next book Phantom is scheduled for March/April. No title/date for the last book)

Have them all up to Chainfire and I'm looking forward to the last two.

-Chris
Kit
Cybertech Extraordinaire~

Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:50 am    Post subject:

HR-Faith wrote:
"Interview with the Vampire" by Anne Rice

Anne Rice's early stuff is best...before she went slap happy with using 'preternatural' and other long adjective words over and over again every other page. Where this is worst is her Beauty series...which I only got through the first book and skipped around the next two for the boy sex before I threw it out.

Suggestion: anything by Jose Saramago. He's a Porteguese writer but his translated works are amazing. His BEST book is "Blindness" which is about what happens when people start to go blind suddenly through a 'disease' that has no symptums. If you come near a person with it, you just go blind...it's how the world breaks down around them because of it. "Gospel of Jesus Christ" is also amazing. It's sort of revisionist....how Jesus was a real person, married to Mary Magdelan (no child or holy grail or stuff like that)...he just got obsessed with going to prostitutes and fell in love with her. It's VERY good....esspecially for us non-catholics who were forced into Catholic school for 12 miserable years..knowing the bible helps. Warning: He doesn't use punctuation....at all. Which is beautiful really. And it not that hard to read surprisingly.

Suggestion 2: Haruki Murakami's books. I suggest "Elephant Vanishes" first. Murakami is...weird. "Elephant Vanishes" is a book of short stories. You'll either love him and his odd fables or hate him. If you LIKE his works, I suggest "Sputnik Sweetheart" and "Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World." Fans of Utena will notice some things that might explain why THAT series is screw bally but deep.

Suggestion 3: "Coin Locker Babies" by someone I don't remember (I like it's Muraki Ryo?) at the moment. Sort of like Blindness, like the breakdown of society...only this has to do with two boys found in coinlockers that grow up together. The end is surprising and final.

Suggestion 4: "The Wasp Factory" by Ian Banks. Something sort of like Clockwork Orange with less made up words and no mental training. It just reminds of it. The overall feel of the book. It's short, but a really creepy read about the childhood of someone that probably will grow up to be a serial killer.

AIM: KitMurphyHR
Email: yojibalinese@hotmail.com
Technician Database: http://tech.haelrahv.net/
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
HR-Faith

Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:34 am    Post subject:

Kit wrote:
HR-Faith wrote:
"Interview with the Vampire" by Anne Rice

Anne Rice's early stuff is best...before she went slap happy with using 'preternatural' and other long adjective words over and over again every other page. Where this is worst is her Beauty series...which I only got through the first book and skipped around the next two for the boy sex before I threw it out.

Just so you know...

The first Beauty book was released in 1983, a full 2 years before The Vampire Lestat.

http://www.annerice.com/bs_AllNovels.htm

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." -- Bilbo Baggins --
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:20 am    Post subject:

Kit wrote:

You don't read a book series like Beauty for literary value. Bitching about how things are worded in a book series like that is like getting a Hustler magazine and saying, "Jesus, the articles in this thing suck."

Back to top »
the blue fairy
Grandmistress

Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject:

I have recently read

Kushiels Dart
Kushiels Chosen
Kushiels Avatar
and am awaiting her newest in the saga Kushiels Scion I believe it was.

I fell in love with this story, the characters are very deep, the politics of it is intruiging, and of course the eroticism is very well done.

Heres a lil about them from Wikipedia

Kushiel's Legacy is a trilogy of fantasy novels by Jacqueline Carey, comprised of Kushiel's Dart, Kushiel's Chosen, and Kushiel's Avatar. The forthcoming Kushiel's Scion is set in the same world. Since the series features a fictional version of medieval Europe, it can be considered historical fantasy or alternate history

The main setting of Kushiel's Legacy is the country of Terre d'Ange (resembling France), the "Land of the Angels". D'Angelines, as the citizens are called, believe they are descended from the Blessed Elua and his band of fallen angels. Elua was born when the blood of the crucified Yeshua ben Yosef, the son of God, mixed with the tears of the Magdalene and then was quickened by Mother Earth. Scorned by his grandfather, the One God, Elua wandered the Earth with eight companion angels, who had rejected God to follow him. The eight were Naamah, Anael, Azza, Shemhazai, Camael, Cassiel, Eisheth, and Kushiel. The companions finally settled in the land that would be become Terre D'Ange. Elua espoused the precept Love as thou wilt and he and his companions inter-bred with the native populace, creating the D'Angeline people.

Kushiel's Legacy is set about one thousand years after the time of Elua and the D'Angeline people worship him and his eight companions as gods. They live by his precept and, since Naamah sold her body at times to support Elua during their wanderings, consider prostitution to be a sacred service. This service is regulated by its own guild, the Court of Night-Blooming Flowers (aka the Night Court).

Stilldawn

"Mighty Kushiel, of rod and weal Late of the brazen portals With blood-tipp'd dart a wound unhealed Pricks the eyen of chosen mortals"

A set of breast implants fall from the sky with a soft plop.

Caretaker Jornnoj Vunn looks up at the sky.

A passing guard suddenly shits himself.
 Back to top »
Kit

Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
Kit wrote:

You don't read a book series like Beauty for literary value. Bitching about how things are worded in a book series like that is like getting a Hustler magazine and saying, "Jesus, the articles in this thing suck."

I wasn't bitching about how things are worded. All I said was she uses the same adjectives for everything every other page. Even in the lovely "Cry to Heaven" and "Feast of All Saints."

Back to top »
HR-Faith

Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject:

Kit wrote:
HR-Trevor wrote:
Kit wrote:

I wasn't bitching about how things are worded. All I said was she uses the same adjectives for everything every other page. Even in the lovely "Cry to Heaven" and "Feast of All Saints."

Which is two of her three first books. Not trying to dispute her over-use of certain descriptives. Just that you did say 'her early stuff is best', and I was pointing out the ones you are complaining about ARE her early books. Wink

Back to top »
Kit

Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject:

HR-Faith wrote:
Which is two of her three first books. Not trying to dispute her over-use of certain descriptives. Just that you did say 'her early stuff is best', and I was pointing out the ones you are complaining about ARE her early books. Wink

;.; I wasn't complaining. I'm an Anne Rice fan. I was observing is all! Not complaining or bitching. Jeez. *sad llama*

Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

You're missing my point entirely (but btw, adjectives are words and do constitute "wording"). Of all the people I've known who read that series, they loved it. I'm pretty sure that's to do with the fact they could care less which adjectives were used and probably didn't even notice any repetition, because the sexual content of the books is the "point". I think Anne Rice could have intentionally planted a certain adjective on every fifth page and virtually no one would care. Most people who enjoyed the series enjoyed it for the sex and concepts, not for how they were described.

And I'm not picking on you here, but if you submit a comment to a peer review thread you do need to expect some of your peers to review your review.

Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject:

This reminds me, I've been meaning to get back into her vampire series. I never made it past "The Vampire Lestat" because a few exams popped up on the horizon and I just never went back to them.

Anne Rice is probably the close I'll ever come to fantasy/supernatural fiction.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Out of Character Discussions » Books? Reading? What?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: