FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
PC's speaking to GM's in game over public channels.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Player-Created Polls » PC's speaking to GM's in game over public channels.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tugor
Orgasm Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: PC's speaking to GM's in game over public channels.

Lots of people do it. I hear people asking GM's for hugs, smooches, visits on public thoughts and comms. I hear them asking to chat with GM's and sometimes they just say hello and stuff for everyone to hear.

This thread comes from the 'Sage pregnancy' thread where a few PC's and even Trevor expressed that GM's are OOC, which would mean that to interact with them publicly, would also be an OOC act.

So what are your thoughts? Do you not care? Does it bother you? Alot a little? What do you think about the players that participate in this? This discussion is mainly focussed on the public thoughts and comm channel bantering. Don't be shy.

My personal opinion:

I personally don't like it. I can recall one time getting drawn into a discussion over public channels with a GM and it was recently with Mickey and the whole 'parrying with hands' conversation. I made a few comments then brought my questions here. It is my opinion that some do it just for attention, or to kiss ass or simply because they are being friendly. Regardless of the why, I think it's stupid for the most part and detracts from the overall RP element of HR. However, in general, OOC behavior doesn't bother me so much that I start reporting people left and right when I see it in action heh. The most action I usually take is using BADNAME.

Bottom line: I don't like it but I don't discourage it either, by NOT discouraging it I am in fact encouraging it but I feel that any effort I could make to quell it would be ineffective and a waste of time.

I'm not going to put a poll question in with answers because I'm sure I wouldn't be able to cover the varying degree of answers that could arise.

EDIT: Minor punctuation mistake.

Last edited by Tugor on Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject:

On a related note, I feel guilty every time I'm OOC on the telepathy / comm to answer a question, but sometimes a lot of people have the same question, generally because something was just released and it's confusing initially. It seems most logical to cut that issue off right there for all parties via one reply. Still, it is OOC, and thus I still feel bad for doing it.

As a policy, I attempt to never reply to OOC questions from a single person on these channels.

Now, about GM's being OOC. I should clear this up some. It's not so much that staff are OOC, but more that we aren't role-played characters. We don't usually have a backstory, or try to RP ourselves in any way. We have a personality and an image, but that's about it.

I really don't like staff seeping into the game via in game elements to be honest. I've let it slide to a degree but I don't really care for it too much. Examples would be like the cards that pictured staff, for example.

It's an iffy issue though. I -think- most players like the staff being part of the game and wouldn't mind them being more "real" in a sense -- as long as they didn't act/look/etc OOC, but that's just an assumption.

I'm interested in hearing feedback on this topic too.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
the blue fairy
Grandmistress

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject:

This has actually been a pet peeve of mine since the begining. Myself I would prefer not to see or here GM's in the game setting at all. If I am in need of speaking to one, then I will do so using report, which keeps it down to an actual NEED TO basis. If a GM needed to speak to me I would prefer it be through report or being drawn up to a NON GAME area. They are not players, they are not characters in the game, and I realise that it is not 100 percent player fault and not 100 percent GM fault. Seems to be encouraged on both sides. I even have started acknowledging them when they show up to mess with somone or say hello or whatever, when I used to try and completely ignore them. I also find all the death messaging of GM's amusing but very OOC as well. I was just hoping it was just a BETA thing and would not be seen in LIVE. But all honesty I would be much happier without it.

Anyways my two cents

Stilldawn

A set of breast implants fall from the sky with a soft plop.

Caretaker Jornnoj Vunn looks up at the sky.

A passing guard suddenly shits himself.
 Back to top »
Kit
Cybertech Extraordinaire~

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject:

I feel as Tshar does. We're told not to respond to OOC announcements...and responding to GMs killing each other is definately OOC, but these things are something you kinda have to live with.

Trevor's right.

When something new comes out, or GMs are being silly and ooc on the comms or in thoughts...well...it's both entertaining and OOC because it leads everyone else into being OOC.

Necissary evil? I think it is. I try my best not to take part in OOC gm conversations...but sometimes you can't help it.

Maybe there could be an OOC channel? I know some games have it...and yes, it could be abused...but people could also ignore it if they choose to.

AIM: KitMurphyHR
Email: yojibalinese@hotmail.com
Technician Database: http://tech.haelrahv.net/
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Padishar

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject:

An easy way to solve the problems, is make GM Gods. Gemrem and Illfaili or if they aren't possible, maybe lesser gods. This would explain their power, and it would fit in with the RP of the game.
 Back to top »
Kit

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject:

Padishar wrote:
An easy way to solve the problems, is make GM Gods. Gemrem and Illfaili or if they aren't possible, maybe lesser gods. This would explain their power, and it would fit in with the RP of the game.

Or...make GMs like people...maybe sages...extra smart people. And...I'm not picking on you Mickey and Hannah! But not angels or 401 foot tall reptoids with tricycles.

Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
the blue fairy
Grandmistress

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject:

because you think Gods would pop in just to give you a snog?

A set of breast implants fall from the sky with a soft plop.

Caretaker Jornnoj Vunn looks up at the sky.

A passing guard suddenly shits himself.
 Back to top »
Padishar

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject:

I don't know alot about the whole religion thing here, but yeah. It's possible. Gods love to mess with mortals. I mean Aphrodite used to appear to mortal men, seduce them, toy with them, and then leave them. So it's not at all a foriegn thought.
 Back to top »
Kit

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject:

I think Faith's got it good. She's got a Jaddan on a motorbike that whisks her in and out again. That's as IC as you can get

Back to top »
Tylen
Alpha Antifemale

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject:

I think so much GM interaction takes away from the game, but then so does people's euphemizing "AFK" as "going into a coma." I don't see either going away anytime soon.

I don't really care too much in this version of the game anyway. Hopefully this will be less of a problem in Live.
** The phrase "break a leg" just wasn't ambitious enough for Mellie Knight. [8:31 pm]
** Mellie Knight was soundly defeated by Aesal Anari-Idia in the Zgedhi Gkenrzeg Rav! [8:31 pm]
 Back to top »
HR-Morrigan

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I don't know alot about the whole religion thing here

Just to put my nose in here, a listing of the gods can be found here:
Code:
http://www.haelrahv.com/gods.htm

Books are also available in the Soleil Library or at Captain Muja's on Chodaku that contain creation myths.

Morrigan Blackfury
 Back to top »
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:30 pm    Post subject:

Padishar wrote:
An easy way to solve the problems, is make GM Gods. Gemrem and Illfaili or if they aren't possible, maybe lesser gods

No. No no no. No no no no no.

I've been trying to dissuade players of the GMs == Gods notion since the OOC trial; I'd rather not devolve from what little progress we've made.

I'm with Trevor. I'm prone to interjecting with one-liners when I should keep my mouth shut, but there are also times when I interject to answer a question, resolve a systems dispute, etc, when it's not something that finds its way to the message boards.

I think it's fair to say that one of the group GM (in general) peeves is people using telepathy and the comms as a red phone to us. Particularly when people keep doing it after we emphasize to them that they should be using REPORT, and even then for emergencies. The public lines aren't for flirting with whichever GM you think is hottest, or begging Roselie for attention and hugs, or giving props to Valla on her latest Artisan ability breakthrough.

Kit wrote:
Or...make GMs like people...maybe sages...extra smart people. And...I'm not picking on you Mickey and Hannah! But not angels or 401 foot tall reptoids with tricycles.

The original Mickey character (HR development) was a bedhead-haired kid in pajamas that emerged into rooms from a hellish hole in the ground, eating junk food. We all develop our own personas (because when the rubber hits the road, we're all 'characters' whether we're playing the game or not), be it a mutated anomaly of nature with a penchant for rock and roll guitar, or a jumpsuited tech with a drachna fetish.

Code:
A chill breeze picks up, and the sky suddenly turns dark; clouds quickly gather and loom menacingly, spitting sinister flashes of bright purple lightning. Drifting on the lashing wind is a cacophany of chanting voices, woeful and coaxing dirges that undulate into agonized shrieks, beckoning some greater force. Without warning, the very ground beneath your feet quakes and finally gapes open like some infernal maw, threatening to vomit forth all manner of demons from its thrice-damned and long-forgotten womb! ...Instead, you just get Mickey Brunner, casually plodding up out of the hole and scratching his head in bewilderment as he munches on a handful of potato chips, wondering just how in the hell he got here.

To make a long story short, don't tell it.

I may be going nowhere, but I'm going nowhere fast.
---
Kelvin Watt says, "I stopped drinking coke when no longer drinking beer didn't make my gut disappear."
---
Kaelin Rae says, "Wait a minute..."
Kaelin Rae says, "You mean they have a COKE machine that dispenses beer."
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
Kaelin Rae says, "Greaser."
Kaelin Rae looks at you and sighs.
 Back to top »
Morgana

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject:

Well overall it should stay off the public channels.. BUT.. this is beta, and sometimes a problem isn't noted until many go.. "Um, that's happening to me too." And then something clicks and it's rectified. I realize boards are the way to go, but some have just given up on boards, or read them sporadically.

Also, I think this lends many times to the confusion between a RP situation, and just pure GM by-play/pranks, ie invasion of CC when one kept asking "that's it?" ..and the game nearly crashed from too much critter activity.

I rather like the lightness of the GM's compared to other dogmatic places.

If one suddenly wants everything pure RP, I really expect a gradual lead up to it, so I get the plot before the climatic event.
Nelle
Ooh Nuuurse..

Post Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject:

I do my best to ignore it and I don't interact with it anymore.
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject:

I forgot to say...

Yeah, the GM deaths can rack up like nobody's business in a small amount of time sometimes, but bear a couple things in mind.

1) I can't speak for the other GMs, but the majority of my own death messages occur because I'm testing things/building things/coding things.
2) We work on HR. A lot. A hell of a lot. And like any friendly peer-teamwork environment, we enjoy being able to take time to goof off and pal around and generally interact with one another (and simultaneously keep morale high, another benefit). And, just like the player side, the horseplay can get a little rough and death happens. We're just blowing off steam.

And to expound on Morgana's statement, I'd prefer a lighter environment as well. I mean, sure, we could be some real hardasses and electrocute the blue hell out of anyone for even the most indirect or discrete breach of RP and In-Characterness, but how enjoyable would that be for a lengthy period of time (the cheap response here being "I'd enjoy seeing it happen to other people", save it)?

To make a long story short, don't tell it.

I may be going nowhere, but I'm going nowhere fast.
---
Kelvin Watt says, "I stopped drinking coke when no longer drinking beer didn't make my gut disappear."
---
Kaelin Rae says, "Wait a minute..."
Kaelin Rae says, "You mean they have a COKE machine that dispenses beer."
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
Kaelin Rae says, "Greaser."
Kaelin Rae looks at you and sighs.
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Player-Created Polls » PC's speaking to GM's in game over public channels.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: