FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
I don't understand combat anymore
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Combat & Hunting » I don't understand combat anymore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chevonne

Post Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:43 am    Post subject: I don't understand combat anymore

I have been gone for about 6 months. I simply don't understand combat anymore, I guess. I am well aware that alot of people want a game where you don't have to hunt and that's all good. But some people DO still actually like it. I don't know if I am hunting the wrong things. Or not hunting enough. Or hunting too much.

Before I left, I got most of my treasure from hunting. I chose the lucky trait for this reason and made the needed sacrifices. I also gained most of my experience this way. It seems those days are over.

Here is what I don't understand...

I get almost no treasure from hunting burrowing gragroks.... what level are these?

I do get experience. Takes a bit, but I do learn.

I feel sorry for people who DON'T have the lucky trait... they must get NOTHING. Do these traits not matter anymore? if not.. please restore my ability to self-heal which I gave up for the lucky trait.

I don't know if I am hunting below my level or what. But, I like to hunt.

It just seems to me that I should get at least ONE box or SOMETHING from the time it takes me to fill my mind. I don't want to go to burrowing gragroks just to fill my mind and then leave yet, why would I hunt longer? I like to hunt for some form of compensation... whether it is skins.. treasure.. boxes... experience or whatever... something. I hunted there tonight... filled my mind over and over... and for my efforts... I got 9 units of onyx, a silver ailferton pistol with a black rubber grip, and that's all.

I may be wrong. But, as far as I know, burrowing Gragroks are my level. They superficially hit me on occasion, but, the treasure just doesnt' seem to equal the abuse or time. Am I underhunting?

I understand that people want a game where they dont HAVE to hunt to gain levels... that's fine... but what about people who LIKE to hunt?

-Chevonne

Just to clarify... when I say I filled my mind over and over.. I don't mean it took a few seconds... it took a while to do it.
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:59 am    Post subject:

luck trait = better loot
luck enhancement = more loot

that said, what level are you now? you tend to have to hunt near or at level these days to get a decent item drop rate (at least until you hit 75th level).
Chevonne

Post Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:29 am    Post subject:

well, I am under 70. And, if I need to move up in hunting, I will. BUT.....

I want the treasure I get to at least compensate for the pain I feel. I get hit... I fall down... I should get treasure for actually WINNING. No matter what I hunt, if it's any challenge at all. To be honest... burrowing grags DON'T knock me down... the hit me occacionally.... superficial.. slight.. etc... I know I CAN move up.. my question is.. is it worth it?

In my opinion... if a fight is any challenge... I should gain something.. whether it's treasure or experience.. just something.

-chevonne
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:39 am    Post subject:

you gain better treasure as you go higher up the food chain in terms of what to hunt.

you also are more likely to GET treasure by hunting at your difficulty range.

so it's worth it.
Chevonne

Post Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:30 am    Post subject:

Yaru, I do appreciate your insight. BUT... I have been hunting within HR a long while. I have seen many changes. This is the worst yet to me. I have accepted a shortage in treasure. I have accepted a shortage in exp. In lew of those who don't deem (deam?) hunting necasarry or needed....I have given this up for artisans... courtesans... buerucrats.,, etc, etc..... my question remains... what is left for those of us who ENJOY hunting?

-chevonne
 Back to top »
Moriath

Post Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:31 am    Post subject:

I'd say you need to hunt harder crits. When you aren't finding any treasure at all, or it is so scarce, that is an indication you are hunting pretty far below your level. I went through the same problem as you are describing, and had to search around for what was best for me. Right now Lurkers provide a steady flow of goodies for me, perhaps try them or the Nowbi on Echak.
Tugor
Orgasm Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:32 am    Post subject:

Problem solved. She was WAY underhunting and didn't even know it heh.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:29 am    Post subject:

Looks like this has worked itself out before I could respond, but I just want to say that it is -not- our intent to make treasure scarce or combat unrewarding. Combat, in my opinion, should be the most financially rewarding option available, because it carries the most risk. With recent changes to death mechanics and the raising of medic reqs to revive, this is greatly underscored. In fact, I do have plans to go through the loot and so on and identify cases where loot isn't sufficient for the risk involved.

The changes made are only to keep hunters hunting things that pose a reasonable challenge. If it has no or virtually chance of hitting you, you shouldn't get anything from it, in my opinion. Combat is intended to be a slugfest of risk and reward.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Chevonne

Post Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject:

Okay, Thanks to all of you.

-Chevonne
 Back to top »
Chevonne

Post Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject:

Okay, I found them....!

Jade took me to rockhide gragroks, they are perfect for me. thank you for the help.

-Chevonne
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Combat & Hunting » I don't understand combat anymore
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: