FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
This Year's Movies
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Out of Character Discussions » This Year's Movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sun May 29, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject: This Year's Movies

I was reading an article by Stephen King for EW where he went over what he predicts to be hits and flops this summer. And it pointed out a movie I had forgotten about until I saw it mentioned.

Stealth has to be worst idea for a movie this year, maybe this decade, and maybe ever. The concept is that an advanced warplane is fitted to carry a powerful arsenal of weapons and fly by itself so no pilot is needed. Supposedly because our pilots are so at risk blah blah and why let pilots die if you can have a computer do the dirty work?

Of course the next step in the movie is very predictable. The plane magically obtains "awareness" and enhanced AI and begins thinking for itself. And of course it decides it wants to bomb things. Furthermore, of course it decides it doesn't just want to bomb empty fields, or even enemy countries, no it wants to bomb major U.S. cities.

The trailer of course didn't get into details that surpass even the ridiculous concept of instant self-awareness, like how this plane would refuel, how it would re-arm, and how it apparently doesn't need repair. I guess the movie will ask us to believe an artifically intelligent plane wouldn't go dropping its weapons immediately at select targets, rather it would lie in wait somewhere like a normal predator until it got hungry, then go bomb something.

So this is the desperation we've reached to scrape money up at the box office. It's a sad state of affairs. I don't know about you, but to me movies like this make things like Herbie: Fully Loaded, The Pink Panther, and The Dukes of Hazzard seem like sure Oscar winners.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Sun May 29, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject:

At least the original Pink Panther movies were great. Stupid humor, but great nonetheless.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Beau
The Good Fairy

Post Posted: Sun May 29, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject:

Maybe I can win an Oscar now. I've never been in the movies, but at this point, isn't that a plus?
If there is one thing in the world that I know, love conquers all, it trancends time and space, defies all odds, and can bring you back from the darkness, it is the guiding light that helps bring you in from the rough stormy seas of life, and it remains even after you have gone.
~ Adam ~

www.angeluserratus.net
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Sun May 29, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject:

The Dukes of Hazzard will never be the Dukes of Hazzard without the voiceover of Waylon Jennings.

To make a long story short, don't tell it.

I may be going nowhere, but I'm going nowhere fast.
---
Kelvin Watt says, "I stopped drinking coke when no longer drinking beer didn't make my gut disappear."
---
Kaelin Rae says, "Wait a minute..."
Kaelin Rae says, "You mean they have a COKE machine that dispenses beer."
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
Kaelin Rae says, "Greaser."
Kaelin Rae looks at you and sighs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
the blue fairy
Grandmistress

Post Posted: Sun May 29, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject:

Im soooooo looking forward to the remake of The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe, War of the Worlds doesnt look to bad either. Also want to see Mr. and Mrs. Smith although I doubt it will be real huge.

A set of breast implants fall from the sky with a soft plop.

Caretaker Jornnoj Vunn looks up at the sky.

A passing guard suddenly shits himself.
 Back to top »
HR-Beau
The Good Fairy

Post Posted: Sun May 29, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject:

Narnia should be AWESOME. Mr and Mrs Smith looks excellent as does War of the Worlds. Those are on my To see list. I might even go see Star Wars 3, but I hear the acting is so bad.
If there is one thing in the world that I know, love conquers all, it trancends time and space, defies all odds, and can bring you back from the darkness, it is the guiding light that helps bring you in from the rough stormy seas of life, and it remains even after you have gone.
~ Adam ~

www.angeluserratus.net
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Sun May 29, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject:

Nobody goes to a Star Wars flick for the acting. It's always about the special effects.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Faith
OCD Grammar Perfectionist

Post Posted: Sun May 29, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject:

I was at first dismayed to find out they were remaking Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory). What a classic! Then I found out they'd cast Johnny Depp as Willy Wonka. He's probably the only actor who could pull off the part Gene Wilder immortalized believably, so I'm at least going to go see it when it is released.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." -- Bilbo Baggins --
 Back to top »
Kit
Cybertech Extraordinaire~

Post Posted: Sun May 29, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject:

HR-Faith wrote:
I was at first dismayed to find out they were remaking Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory). What a classic! Then I found out they'd cast Johnny Depp as Willy Wonka. He's probably the only actor who could pull off the part Gene Wilder immortalized believably, so I'm at least going to go see it when it is released.

Hey, if the movie is closer to the book, I'll be happy. Willy Wonka vs. Charlie (the real title) was pretty off-kilter. I bet Dahl wasn't amused that they changed the name to have a candy company tied in...until he got royalty checks of course. The original was creepy (as it's meant to be...though I think it's lost on some people). I hope Charlie gets more of it's intended creepiness back. And it should. It's a Burton film.

AIM: KitMurphyHR
Email: yojibalinese@hotmail.com
Technician Database: http://tech.haelrahv.net/
 Back to top »
Kit
Cybertech Extraordinaire~

Post Posted: Sun May 29, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject:

Brokyn wrote:
Nobody goes to a Star Wars flick for the acting. It's always about the special effects.

--William

Which were badly done.

Lucas is getting senile. He missed at LEAST 14 edit blunders...such as Ewan McGregor's eye color...and Samuel L Jackson's lines not matching his mouth. I hated the movie...but knowing how poorly it was made makes it better for me....in some weird way,,,

AIM: KitMurphyHR
Email: yojibalinese@hotmail.com
Technician Database: http://tech.haelrahv.net/
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Sun May 29, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject:

Also, Batman Begins and Superman Returns are both assured to be flops.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Drake
Machine King

Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 4:21 am    Post subject:

You people are way too picky. When I go to see a movie, I sit back and enjoy it, regardless if there's a few bad glitches or whatever. I personally thought Star Wars 3 was awesome, it connected the bits and pieces from 1, 2, 4, 5 and 6 together almost flawlessly, and the acting was NOT that bad. Of course the special effects were pretty amazing.

I do wanna see Mr. and Mrs. Smith, War of the Worlds, and Madagascar (which is out now, but I already saw a movie this week Razz), but I'm most looking forward to the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe at the end of this year.. the trailer for it at the theatre almost brought a tear to my eye. Razz
HR-Beau
The Good Fairy

Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 7:28 am    Post subject:

This Charlie and the Chocolate factory should be nothing like the original movie. I'm just glad the original front runner for Willy Wonka was not cast: Marilyn Manson. I mean, I know its supposed to be creepy, but that's way TOO creepy.
~ Adam ~

www.angeluserratus.net
 Back to top »
the blue fairy
Grandmistress

Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 8:42 am    Post subject:

ahh yes I forgot Willy Wonka, looking forward to watching that with my daughter since she refused to watch the original.

Also looking forward to watching the new Harry Potter with my nephew
gotta love having kids to use as an excuse

A set of breast implants fall from the sky with a soft plop.

Caretaker Jornnoj Vunn looks up at the sky.

A passing guard suddenly shits himself.
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject:

people who expect movies to be good expect too much.
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Out of Character Discussions » This Year's Movies
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: