Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Overload
Goto page 1, 2  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Magic and Psionics » Overload
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morgana

Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Overload

Casting at Kucho's caused me to scuff them quite a bit. They did eventually bleed.
Decided to overload the spells. Using Incinerate for the most part. I didn't notice a difference in the time it took to kill from overload to not. Seemed I just scuffed the scuffs till it eventually bled, and then died. Just wondering if I just am not seeing a difference.

HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject:

Hmm, I'd have to say this is perception rather than reality. Every elemental spell does almost double damage when overloaded. Although, you might notice less enhancement on spells which rely more on hitting a lot of times for low damage instead of lesser amounts of times for more damage.

Generally speaking elemental spells work like this, A being highest, D being lowest:

Code:
Damage Type      Hits Per Cast      Damage Per Cast

Cold                  B                   C
Fire                  C                   B
Electrical            D                   A
Erosion               A                   D

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy

Last edited by HR-Trevor on Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
the blue fairy
Grandmistress

Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject:

overloaded?

A set of breast implants fall from the sky with a soft plop.

Caretaker Jornnoj Vunn looks up at the sky.

A passing guard suddenly shits himself.
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject:

Mages can learn to "overload" their spells at level.. 40? It's a quest they take. Doing so can cause nerve damage but increases damage output.

Back to top »
the blue fairy
Grandmistress

Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject:

Ahhhh thanks, really has no affect on me but I was still curious

Back to top »
Morgana

Post Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:24 am    Post subject:

Alrighty. It was just something I noticed, thinking maybe something was missed like the vale upgrades.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:50 am    Post subject:

Na, in this case every spell has a hardcoded separate handling for overloads, and I've recently gone through all those spells and they all use a universal format of sorts so I'm positive the overload bonus is there.

The big thing is that in some cases you may be talking say 8 points of damage instead of 5, for example. That extra 3 points isn't going to be obvious to you because you don't see it that way. You simply see slight damage versus slight damage or what not. However, statistically speaking, 3 extra points of damage is significant.

Each body area can sustain 75 points of damage before destruction at the 76th point. Therefore overloading your spell just cause that body area to become 4% closer to toast. The small things add up. Additionally all spells hit multiple times so say you use an acid spell that hits 10 times, you just got a little extra on 10 shots. Likewise if you used a lightning spell doing 3 hits, you just got a lot extra on 3 shots.

Also note HP damage is tied to body damage. The more body damage you do, the HP damage you'll do also.

Back to top »
the blue fairy
Grandmistress

Post Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:40 am    Post subject:

Let me start this post by saying I know nothing about mages.
I am assuming from the talk I have heard that nerve damage is very detrimental to mages combat-wise.
A normal hunter can get beat up and either dermagel or dermaplaz it or hit the hospital and its right back to hunting.
Where as with nerve damage I believe (could be wrong) that it requires a medic to heal it.
Is there anyway we could get something that we can take ourselves for this or get the hospital to heal it until we are close to or IN live. Being that medics are hard to find (awake and working) at the moment.

Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject:

the hospital NPC heals nerve damage
the blue fairy
Grandmistress

Post Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject:

Ok thanks, like I said I wasnt sure because I have only had nerve damage once and dont remember what I did about it, but could of sworn I was told only medics heal it.

Back to top »
HR-Faith
OCD Grammar Perfectionist

Post Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject:

the blue fairy wrote:
Let me start this post by saying I know nothing about mages.
I am assuming from the talk I have heard that nerve damage is very detrimental to mages combat-wise.
A normal hunter can get beat up and either dermagel or dermaplaz it or hit the hospital and its right back to hunting.
Where as with nerve damage I believe (could be wrong) that it requires a medic to heal it.
Is there anyway we could get something that we can take ourselves for this or get the hospital to heal it until we are close to or IN live. Being that medics are hard to find (awake and working) at the moment.

1. Currently NPC healers heal everything (this IS going to change and you can expect it before live. It would have already been done but I've been a dealing with on and off-mostly on-sickness lately). When the NPC healer rewrite is done, some will heal nerves, some won't. Some will heal all external wounds, some will only heal bleeding wounds. It will be up to you all to experiment and find out where to go for what. None will leave detrimental to your life wounds. However, in the future, to get fully healed, you will have to seek a Medic. NPC healers will be for emergencies (which is why most of them are in 'Emergency Rooms'.).

2. Nerve damage will slowly heal itself over time without medical intervention UNLESS you reach the point where it is telling you to seek medical attention. Then it starts to get worse - quickly.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." -- Bilbo Baggins --
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
the blue fairy
Grandmistress

Post Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject:

I dont know how to put this without it sounding bitchy but I am truly curious. What was the point behind the spellbooks being put into play as apposed to just learning the spells.
After hearing everyone talk about the drawbacks I would like it to be known what the BENEFITS of this system are, I know theres no longer spell slots which means you could technically learn more spells but was that the only reason for this change?

Stilldawn

Back to top »
Sorkaa

Post Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject:

Admittedly I don't use magic, but I think having the option to learn all the spells is really cool. You probably wouldn't keep them all memorized, but you can essentially switch out what you use anytime..no more wishing you hadn't learned x now that you've outgrown it.
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject:

Before I go into that, out of curiosity, why are you personally bringing this up? You've expressed you have no vested interested in Mages, so I don't know exactly why you'd make a post you feel is going to be bitchy.

Anyway, spellbooks were put in:
- So that players could choose to learn more spells overall if they wish.
- So that players wouldn't be "stuck" with a spell they chose and later disliked.
- So players had to spend less forethought debating whether they wanted to sacrifice one spell to get another.
- To give a good means to learn spell research skill / occult lore skill.

The downsides to spellbooks are truly almost nil. I have repeatedly offered very specific facts on how long it takes to learn a spell, and how easily one can keep it memorized with little effort.

In addition, very soon I will be adding a "newbie" spellbook to the character manager so new character who select Mage or Psionic as their profession receive a starter spellbook with a selection of basic spells/powers in it. This book won't be expandable so they'll need to make their own, but it will tide them over for many levels.

Back to top »
the blue fairy
Grandmistress

Post Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject:

My post wasnt intended bitchy at all I just didnt know how to express it in text withouth it sounding that way and granted I know nothing about mages but just because I am an agent doesnt mean my only interest is only agents, my interest is about the game as a whole

the newbie spellbook is awesome and thanks for pointing out the more specific reasons for the spellbooks.

If I were a mage I think the biggest advantage to me in the change would be not having to keep a spell I didnt use.

Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Magic and Psionics » Overload
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: