FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Combat Updates, Feedback
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Combat & Hunting » Combat Updates, Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject:

it's not that the GMs want to make it realistic, but more that the GMs (from what I see), want combat to last more than 10 seconds.

while i'm sure i'm a worse than normal case, i was plowing through critters that are up to level 70 in under five seconds. this makes it easy for me to rack up money/treasure/URs. looking at the treasure finds thread probably points out that i was doing some big wackiness when it came to raking in stuff.

i think, in order for the GMs to feel comfortable making and releasing URs, they want people to do more than just take five seconds to kill something to obtain them. the change where you don't really get treasure from critters you greatly outmatch was phase one, phase two is this.

even though players now have to hunt on-level, even when on level it was still a matter of seconds to kill anything.

i'm guessing that the GMs would love to change combat taking 10-30 seconds to taking at least a minute. now, i'm not saying if i love this or not, especially because, as a gun user, i'll probably eventually get tweaked to doom, but i also can hardly say that it's unreasonable for them to not want me to be the whirling dirvish of death i am to almost anything in the game save maybe thekko.
Warner
Sneaky Locksmithiness

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:23 am    Post subject:

You slide off a greyish-green gridgun with black accents from over your shoulder.
>You see a very young Alteri female fisherman. She has no hair, black eyes, and an average build. She is wearing a tattered tube top, a pair of wrinkled jeans, and pink combat boots. She is holding a fishing pole and tackle box.
>advance fish
Sorry, the engagement system is disabled.
>ponder
You ponder.
>
-+ Magic Researcher Lysenthir Zelune has departed from Haelrahv. [1:19 a.m.]
>aim fisher
You begin to aim a shot at a very young fisherman.
Roundtime: 4 sec.
info

Information for Vyrath Kartklin, Level 23 Human Agent

Agility : 45 (62) Age : 86 seasons
Charisma : 15 (19) Race : Human
Coordination : 33 (50) Gender : Male
Intellect : 20 Height : 5'11"
Mentality : 16 (17) Weight : 175 lbs.
Perception : 25 (33) Alignment : Fair (Good)
Strength : 33 (3Cool Restores : 0
Vitality : 5 (10) Revives : 2

Encumbrance: You are not encumbered.
Armor Hindrance: You are unhindered by your armor.

Asapi rank: Elusive harpy

Statistic training points: 7
Skill training points: 4

Resistances:
Blunt : 15% Cold : 7% Electrical: 0%
Erosion : 5% Heat : 7% Magic : -18%
Mental : -23% Piercing : 15% Poison : -8%
Slashing : 15%
>You feel your shot is ready.
skill pulse

Skill sheet for Vyrath Kartklin:

Pulse Weapons : 69

To see all skills including untrained ones, type SKILLS ALL.
Your weapon specializations are marksmanship, exotic weapons, unarmed combat, bladed weapons, and pulse weapons.
You have 4 skill training points available.
>fire fisher head
Siezing a perfect moment, you fire a greyish-green gridgun with black accents at a very young fisherman. You land a weak hit to her right leg as a very young fisherman fails to dodge the attack.
... another shot hits a very young fisherman in the chest!
... another shot hits a very young fisherman in the abdomen!
... another shot hits a very young fisherman in the left leg!
... another shot hits a very young fisherman in the back!
[You are balanced, healthy, and well rested.]
Roundtime: 1 sec.
>look fish
You see a very young Alteri female fisherman. She has no hair, black eyes, and an average build. She is wearing a tattered tube top, a pair of wrinkled jeans, and pink combat boots. She is holding a fishing pole and tackle box.

A very young fisherman has a slightly scuffed chest, a slightly scuffed back, a slightly scuffed abdomen, a slightly scuffed left leg, and a slightly scuffed right leg.
Stumbling awkwardly, a very young fisherman throws a quick jab at you. Amazingly, she lands a fair hit to your right eye as you fail to dodge the attack.
>laugh
You laugh!
>rofl
You fall to the ground laughing hysterically!
>stand
You stand up.
>fire
Gauging the shot with care, you fire a greyish-green gridgun with black accents at a very young fisherman. You land a weak hit to her right eye as a very young fisherman fails to dodge the attack.
... another shot hits a very young fisherman in the right eye!
... another shot hits a very young fisherman in the head!
... another shot hits a very young fisherman in the chest!
... another shot hits a very young fisherman in the neck!
>fire
Concentrating on the shot, you fire a greyish-green gridgun with black accents at a very young fisherman. In a display of true skill, you land a weak hit to her head as a very young fisherman fails to dodge the attack.
... another shot hits a very young fisherman in the right hand!
... another shot hits a very young fisherman in the left foot!
A very young fisherman reels and falls flat on her back!
... another shot hits a very young fisherman in the right foot!
... another shot hits a very young fisherman in the head!
>body
You feel fully rested.
A very young fisherman is not standing.
>
A very young fisherman stands back up.
Moving in quickly, a very young fisherman throws a quick jab at you. Despite her best efforts, you dodge the attack with relative ease.
>ponder
You ponder.
>body
In a display of raw power, you attempt to perform an agonizing bodyslam on a very young fisherman. Mercilessly, you land a critical hit to her back as a very young fisherman fails to dodge the attack.
A very young fisherman groans and collapses.
Roundtime: 12 sec.
>look fish
You see a very young Alteri female fisherman. She has no hair, black eyes, and an average build. She is wearing a tattered tube top, a pair of wrinkled jeans, and pink combat boots. She is holding a fishing pole and tackle box.

A very young fisherman has a slightly scuffed head, a slightly scuffed right eye, a slightly scuffed neck, a slightly scuffed chest, an injured back, a slightly scuffed abdomen, a slightly scuffed right hand, a slightly scuffed left leg, a slightly scuffed right leg, a slightly scuffed left foot, and a slightly scuffed right foot.

A very young fisherman has minor bleeding from her back.
zamde
Maestro

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:25 am    Post subject:

Make mine realism all the way; I want to be able to shoot other players' characters in the head, immediately killing (or otherwise permanently maiming) them with no chance of recovery, revival, or any of that hokey unrealistic "imaging" garbage.

And, reading your log, you realize you're using like the spitball-shooter of pulse weapons, right? At least upgrade to a real gun.

Dixie Pierce says, "I heard Zamde can't have kids cause she lactates poison."

[Telepathy] Yaru Dex projects: I thought Zamde doesn't have kids because her womb is full of aisobs.

You can't spell "slaughter" without 'laughter'.

Llanfair Anti-Cyber Brigade Member #0000

Last edited by zamde on Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:27 am; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject:

By the way, all ionic weapons are best suited against opponents with high electrical resistance as they are able to blast through this protection. If you're going to use pulse against normal targets without this kind of protection, I'd recommend standard pulse, or as a compromise, multiphase which is a hybrid of the two.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Morgana

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject:

Well he did make it bleed with a bodyslam. Twisted Evil

... kinda small one.. BUT it is bleeding.
Warner
Sneaky Locksmithiness

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:55 am    Post subject:

it's vale upgraded dunno how much that counts
got similiar results with heavy pulse gunsx2 earlier before the 15% boost

so for testing and your enjoyment:

>sweep fish
Powerfully, you crouch low and perform a foot sweep at a middle-aged fisherman. With finesse, you land a superficial hit to his right foot as a middle-aged fisherman fails to dodge the attack.
A middle-aged fisherman reels and falls flat on his back!
[You are fairly well balanced, healthy, and well rested.]
>look fish
You see a middle-aged Alteri male fisherman. He has no hair, black eyes, and a muscular build. He is wearing a tattered bra, a torn tutu, and white saddle shoes. He is holding a fish and skinning knife.
>aim fish
You feel fully rested.
You begin to aim a shot at a middle-aged fisherman.
>
You feel your shot is ready.
say didn't even damage it
A middle-aged fisherman stands back up.
roll eye
Moving gracefully, a middle-aged fisherman throws a quick jab at you. Shockingly, you dodge the attack in a feat of pure luck.
You say, "Didn't even damage it."
>You roll your eyes.
>fire fisher head
Taking a chance on a tricky shot, you fire a Rtuzma heavy pulse gun at a middle-aged fisherman. Mercilessly, you land a massive hit to his head as a middle-aged fisherman fails to dodge the attack.
Carefully timing the shot, you fire a Rtuzma heavy pulse gun at a middle-aged fisherman. In a display of skill, you land a massive hit to his right leg as a middle-aged fisherman fails to dodge the attack.
Roundtime: 2 sec.
>fire fisher head
You feel fully rested.
Siezing a perfect moment, you fire a Rtuzma heavy pulse gun at a middle-aged fisherman. You land a fair hit to his abdomen as a middle-aged fisherman fails to dodge the attack.
Gauging the shot with care, you fire a Rtuzma heavy pulse gun at a middle-aged fisherman. You land a slight hit to his head as a middle-aged fisherman fails to dodge the attack.
A middle-aged fisherman groans and collapses.

because Morgie mentioned the bodyslam i tried again....

>stow left
body wand
You stow your sober pill in a velvety black xarloa backpack with silver stitching embroidered with a raging fire elemental with glaring eyes in shades of red.
>Lashing out fiercely, you attempt to perform an agonizing bodyslam on an adolescent wanderer. In a display of skill, you land a serious hit to his back as an adolescent wanderer fails to dodge the attack.
An adolescent wanderer reels and falls flat on his back!
An adolescent wanderer tumbles and rolls into a good position and leaps back to his feet!
[You are well balanced, healthy, and well rested.]
>
Focused intently, an adolescent wanderer throws a quick jab at you. With little resistance, he lands a weak hit to your left eye as you fail to dodge the attack.
[You are well balanced, healthy, and well rested.]
>look wand
You see an adolescent Darju male wanderer. He has long curly soft red hair, black eyes, and a slim build. He is wearing a black trench coat, a pair of wrinkled chausses, and red combat boots. He is carrying nothing.

An adolescent wanderer has a slightly scuffed back.
>body wand
... wait 3 seconds.
>body wand
Powerfully, you attempt to perform an agonizing bodyslam on an adolescent wanderer. With finesse, you land a serious hit to his back as an adolescent wanderer fails to dodge the attack.
An adolescent wanderer reels and falls flat on his back!
[You are well balanced, healthy, and slightly tired.]
>look wand
You see an adolescent Darju male wanderer. He has long curly soft red hair, black eyes, and a slim build. He is wearing a black trench coat, a pair of wrinkled chausses, and red combat boots. He is carrying nothing.

An adolescent wanderer has a wounded back.

An adolescent wanderer has light bleeding from his back.
>
An adolescent wanderer stands back up.
Moving as gracefully as a charging argabu, an adolescent wanderer throws a quick jab at you. Without hesitation, you dodge the attack.
>body wand
Lashing out fiercely, you attempt to perform an agonizing bodyslam on an adolescent wanderer. In a display of skill, you land a critical hit to his back as an adolescent wanderer fails to dodge the attack.
An adolescent wanderer groans and collapses.
>look wand

An adolescent wanderer has a completely destroyed back.

An adolescent wanderer has extreme bleeding from his back.
>sear wand
You search an adolescent wanderer and find a sober pill!
An adolescent wanderer corpse decays away.

going to try in koru hunters, my favorite overhunting spot!
epol
Self-Proclaimed Crown Jewel

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject:

I do believe the player's perspective is being minimized and rationalized away.

We really have no choices here, nor say except in the forums. I honestly am not happy hunting anymore. And I used to love it. Isn't that the real measure of sucessful changes? Do the users like it? I know not everyone has posted on this, but I haven't met anyone in game that is happy with it. I don't think I have found more than a handful that are happy with the magic changes either, mage and non-mage.

So, I took all the skill points I had, invested in fishing and now sit at the lighthouse filling up coolers.

Again, fact is, I like to hunt. Now I don't. Not many choices left considering my professional choice. Of course I could start a new character and throw away the 9 months of training.

The rules and parameters have changed. Knowing what I know now, I am certain I would have made diffrent choices in profession, stats, and skills. I could never enjoy making backpacks, but that is cool that others do.

Anyhow, having built software products myself for nearly 20 years, I have always found the user perception to be immensely important in the decisions I make. I don't doubt for one minute all the hard work and good intentions of the staff here at HR. but, I have found that changes are more often defended against challenge from the user population. That's frustrating to both watch and especially encounter oneself.

Perhaps some changes would be more acceptable with others that are planned, but without the others a profession or set of skills are rendered temporarily less than optimal. For instance the new learning system might make some of this more tolerable.

I don't know for sure. But with such a small number of us really here, it seems that a system that considered user perception would help advance the game and spread the word of the good times to be had faster.
 Back to top »
Warner
Sneaky Locksmithiness

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:08 am    Post subject:

>sweep hunt
Focused intently, you crouch low and perform a foot sweep at a koru hunter. With little resistance, you land a superficial hit to his right foot as a koru hunter fails to parry the attack.
A koru hunter reels and falls flat on his back!
>
A koru hunter stands back up.
fire hunt head
Focused intently, a koru hunter slashes a crude spear at you. With little resistance, he lands a slight hit to your chest as you fail to dodge the attack.
[You are fairly well balanced, in good shape, and well rested.]
>... wait 1 second.
>fire hunt head
Hoping to make the best of a poor shot, you fire a Rtuzma heavy pulse gun at a koru hunter. Somehow, you land a fair hit to his right foot as a koru hunter fails to dodge the attack.
A koru hunter is completely dazed by the attack!
A koru hunter reels and falls flat on his back!
Concentrating on the shot, you fire a Rtuzma heavy pulse gun at a koru hunter. In a display of true skill, you land a fair hit to his right foot as a koru hunter fails to dodge the attack.
>fire hunt head
... wait 1 second.
>fire hunt head
Gauging the shot with care, you fire a Rtuzma heavy pulse gun at a koru hunter. You land a fair hit to his right hand as a koru hunter fails to dodge the attack.
Taking a chance on a tricky shot, you fire a Rtuzma heavy pulse gun at a koru hunter. Mercilessly, you land a critical hit to his head as a koru hunter fails to dodge the attack.
>fire hunt head
... wait 1 second.
fire hunt head
>Taking advantage of an opening, you fire a Rtuzma heavy pulse gun at a koru hunter. With finesse, you land a slight hit to his head as a koru hunter fails to dodge the attack.
Fumbling a bit in the process of taking a shot, you fire a Rtuzma heavy pulse gun at a koru hunter. Amazingly, you land a slight hit to his head as a koru hunter fails to dodge the attack.
>look hunt
Very tall and muscular, the koru are organized hunters. Their dark skin and hair adapt them well to stalking and hunting in the forest. They usually use animal pelts for clothing and hunt with spears.

A koru hunter has a wounded head, a slightly scuffed right hand, and a slightly scuffed right foot.

A koru hunter has light bleeding from his head.

He is holding a crude spear in his right hand and nothing in the left.
>
The distinct whirring sound that barely emanates from a Rtuzma heavy pulse gun informs you that it is ready to fire again.
The distinct whirring sound that barely emanates from a Rtuzma heavy pulse gun informs you that it is ready to fire again.
fire hunt head
>Focused intently, you fire a Rtuzma heavy pulse gun at a koru hunter. With little resistance, you land a fair hit to his right hand as a koru hunter fails to dodge the attack.
Hoping to make the best of a poor shot, you fire a Rtuzma heavy pulse gun at a koru hunter. Somehow, you land a slight hit to his left hand as a koru hunter fails to dodge the attack.
>
A koru hunter is no longer stunned.
fire hunt head
>Concentrating on the shot, you fire a Rtuzma heavy pulse gun at a koru hunter. In a display of true skill, you land a slight hit to his head as a koru hunter fails to dodge the attack.
Taking advantage of an opening, you fire a Rtuzma heavy pulse gun at a koru hunter. With finesse, you land a slight hit to his abdomen as a koru hunter fails to dodge the attack.
[You are fairly well balanced, in good shape, and slightly tired.]
>
>fire hunt head
You feel much better.
You feel fully rested.
Patiently waiting for a good shot, you fire a Rtuzma heavy pulse gun at a koru hunter. In short order, you land a fair hit to his right eye as a koru hunter fails to dodge the attack.
Fumbling a bit in the process of taking a shot, you fire a Rtuzma heavy pulse gun at a koru hunter. Amazingly, you land a fair hit to his abdomen as a koru hunter fails to dodge the attack.
>fire hunt head
Your heavy gun is not yet ready to fire again.
>
>fire hunt head
Concentrating on the shot, you fire a Rtuzma heavy pulse gun at a koru hunter. In a display of true skill, you land a fair hit to his head as a koru hunter fails to dodge the attack.
A koru hunter collapses with a cry, dead.
>look hunt
Very tall and muscular, the koru are organized hunters. Their dark skin and hair adapt them well to stalking and hunting in the forest. They usually use animal pelts for clothing and hunt with spears.

A koru hunter has a completely destroyed head, a slightly scuffed right eye, a slightly scuffed abdomen, a slightly scuffed left hand, a slightly scuffed right hand, and a slightly scuffed right foot.

A koru hunter has extreme bleeding from his head.

He is holding a crude spear in his right hand and nothing in the left.
>sear hunt
You search a koru hunter and find a vellian ingot!
A koru hunter's corpse returns to the dust from whence it came.

actually hit worse on another with a fully aimed shot

my conclusion....results may vary,use with discretion!

p.s. chants SPANIARD SPANIARD SPANIARD (gladiator)@ Epolon
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:09 am    Post subject:

dude, you're rolling your eyes over the fact that sweep doesn't give the scuffings and -1 health point plink it gave before?

the goal of sweep is to knock the target over. it's like me saying "gust doesn't kill fast enough!". it's not meant to.

and is it that bad to have to take 30 seconds to kill something?

::jumps to other post::

Quote:
I have found that changes are more often defended against challenge from the user population.

if trevor expected people to be thrilled with 'for the sake of making the game easier to manage froma GM side when it comes to the economy and special items, we need to make people take more time to kill things', i think he'd need his head examined.

does it stink that it takes longer to kill something? yes.

does it have no purpose whatsoever? no, it has a point.

look at it this way. either trevor could have decided combat needs revamping so it isn't ultra-easy to mass kill things and get tons of treasure, or he could have just made it so treasure meant less. or he could have let the economy spiral out of control even further, which only results in things costing more money at festivals.
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:27 am    Post subject:

this is pretty much how fighting elite royals worked for me before the changes, too.

Code:
You begin peer at an elite royal guard through a matte black red-dot sniper scope on a scale-model TG23-X field rifle.

An elite royal guard begins to advance towards you.

Taking a chance on a tricky shot, you fire a scale-model TG23-X field rifle at an elite royal guard.  Mercilessly, you land a critical hit to her head as an elite royal guard fails to dodge the attack.
... another shot hits an elite royal guard in the head!

An elite royal guard reaches melee range and stops advancing on you.

You begin to retreat from combat.
You begin peer at an elite royal guard through a matte black red-dot sniper scope on a scale-model TG23-X field rifle.

Focused intently, you fire a scale-model TG23-X field rifle at an elite royal guard.  With little resistance, you land a critical hit to her head as an elite royal guard fails to dodge the attack.

You retreat from an elite royal guard and are now at pole range.

Patiently waiting for a good shot, you fire a scale-model TG23-X field rifle at an elite royal guard.  In short order, you land a critical hit to her head as an elite royal guard fails to dodge the attack.
An elite royal guard reels and falls flat on her back!
... another shot hits an elite royal guard in the left leg!

Carefully timing the shot, you fire a scale-model TG23-X field rifle at an elite royal guard.  In a display of skill, you land a critical hit to her head as an elite royal guard fails to dodge the attack.

An elite royal guard stands back up.
An elite royal guard begins to advance towards you.
An elite royal guard reaches melee range and stops advancing on you.

Focused intently, you fire a scale-model TG23-X field rifle at an elite royal guard.  With little resistance, you land a massive hit to her head as an elite royal guard fails to dodge the attack.
... another shot hits an elite royal guard in the right arm!

Focused intently, you fire a scale-model TG23-X field rifle at an elite royal guard.  With little resistance, you land a devastating hit to her head as an elite royal guard fails to dodge the attack.
An elite royal guard is completely dazed by the attack!
An elite royal guard reels and falls flat on her back!
... a shot misses!

You retreat from an elite royal guard and are now at pole range.

Concentrating on the shot, you fire a scale-model TG23-X field rifle at an elite royal guard.  In a display of true skill, you land a critical hit to her head as an elite royal guard fails to dodge the attack.
An elite royal guard sighs, "For the Crown." and collapses.

Warner
Sneaky Locksmithiness

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:46 am    Post subject:

to answer Yaru's post about the economy
i find something very wrong with alchemy...you wanna talk about an economy killer? any player can gather up the ingridients for a potion
processes the components and then have ANOTHER MORE SKILLED PLAYER TYPE MIX POTION and make a killing off of selling those potions.
now say i have two accounts
one has a grand high mage of alchemywhateverness....
my other account has a semi mid range tracker we'll say 30's for shits and giggles.
i use my tracker's foraging to get the components my mage needs to make potions and process them with the tracker while mage sits with
a stir stick making these high level potions to sell.
system abuse? economicly devastating?

wanna lower the damage fine i can understand weaker hits at weaker levels ect.
wanna raise rt's ok groovy...put them both together?
my character goes excavating for the first time.

with this 15% extra i can kill again, so i'm semi happy i can at least hunt
with pulse but i still feel my other skills/high cost to aquire weapons
are useless.
HR-Marduk

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:29 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I do believe the player's perspective is being minimized and rationalized away.

We really have no choices here, nor say except in the forums. I honestly am not happy hunting anymore. And I used to love it. Isn't that the real measure of sucessful changes? Do the users like it? I know not everyone has posted on this, but I haven't met anyone in game that is happy with it. I don't think I have found more than a handful that are happy with the magic changes either, mage and non-mage.

It's impossible to minimize the player perspective for these kinds of changes; there is simply no reason to even consider changes that won't benefit the player. We're not getting paid, we actually don't get any sadistic pleasure out of making everyone readjust. The only reason to spend any time on the game at all is because people play it and enjoy it.

That being said, not all of the benefits of these kinds of changes are readily apparent to a player who's being overwhelmed with the fact that the immediate reward from combat has been reduced. You need to look at it from the perspective of actually improving combat as a system, rather than the treasure gains or perceived power of your character.

First off, these changes weren't my decision, though I've long felt something similar have been necessary (since well before I was hired).

Combat was relatively unbalanced and one-dimension; I believe anyone would have a hard time arguing this when certain weapon types did an overwhelming amount of damage compared to other types. The extent of this is nearly unbelievable; it had reached the level where it was quite simply incredibly unpopular, if not unreasonable, to attempt to create a character outside a certain norm. In terms of the number of times each combat skill has been trained:

RANGED:

Thrown Weapons: 3252
Archery: 8179
Pulse Weapons: 15538

MELEE:

Blunt Weapons: 3068
Polearms And Spears: 2992
Unarmed Combat: 35978

Bringing the less powerful/popular weapon types up to par with the more powerful would only serve to make combat more one-dimensional. The subtlety, depth, and balancing we hoped to achieve in combat is simply going to go unnoticed if the difference between two weapon types, attacks, professions, etc. is going to be between killing something in one four-second hit and one three-second hit.

Even adding the engagement system, creating more varied attacks, and more depth in the balance between professions served little to enhance combat. As a developer, it's rather depressing to have a system you've spent months on served not enhance or change combat, but only to have players use the exact same tactics and having combat play out exactly the same as before. (Yes, I'm talking explicitly about one-shot ranged kills, then search and move on before the opponent even starts to advance and simply killing masses of melee creatures before they have a chance to attack.)

It only shows that combat is stagnating, and turning into a system on the same order of forage ivy for x number of minutes, then count your booty. This isn't the kind of combat system I envision for Haelrahv, and I certainly don't think it's the kind that serves players best.

So anyone goes claiming righteous judgement as the consumer, implies that we're trying to (or planning to) fuck you over before the changes are substantially tested, or simply complains because they think their character suddenly became weaker, consider that these changes are made to promote a deep, balanced, and robust combat system, now and in the future.

If anyone is looking to contact staff about the changes but for some reason doesn't want to do so on the board, I regularly read (but am bad about responding to) e-mails, private messages, or instant messages to 'downtweak' on AIM.

Quote:
i noticed that the swoosh symbol was nothing but a whip in mid swing

-- Sage Francis
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:51 am    Post subject:

Quote:
(Yes, I'm talking explicitly about one-shot ranged kills, then search and move on before the opponent even starts to advance and simply killing masses of melee creatures before they have a chance to attack.)

i agree with the changes, but i still think you're crazy if you think i would, under any circumstances, want to give an npc a chance to attack out of fairness. especially if they're firing 15 bullet volleys at me. that's just silly to take a chance on. Wink

i agree that there should be a reason for different weapon types/attack types, but i'm wondering what other path guns and such can be taken in other than "shoot the thing far away over there".

sure, there's snipe and all, but that isn't open to everyone (which is understandable).
Warner
Sneaky Locksmithiness

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:13 am    Post subject:

i'll reserve my comments on Yaru's post, will instead wait until vit is something that is important to combat like it used to be

just out of curiousity, would it be possible for the
messaging we get to actually reflect the damage we've done?
would rather get something like

You do a roundhouse landing a solid blow on x critter's (bodypart)
bruising it's back ect

as opposed to seeing landing a critical blow to x critter's back!
then looking at x critter and seeing

has a slightly scuffed back

i imagine the damage i dealt would be serious or critical to
something with less vit, so how exactly are those serious/critical hit messages determined? is it based on the player stats or the critter's stats or both? i'd rather know that i kicked it really hard but didnt hurt it much
then be mislead to believe i kicked it really hard and actually did something.
Kit
Cybertech Extraordinaire~

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:09 am    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
By the way, all ionic weapons are best suited against opponents with high electrical resistance as they are able to blast through this protection. If you're going to use pulse against normal targets without this kind of protection, I'd recommend standard pulse, or as a compromise, multiphase which is a hybrid of the two.

Ooh, we need to have like...a sign somewhere that says what pulse system is good for what. Yay for more tech site content.

AIM: KitMurphyHR
Email: yojibalinese@hotmail.com
Technician Database: http://tech.haelrahv.net/
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Combat & Hunting » Combat Updates, Feedback
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 4 of 31

Jump to: