Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Armor
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Polls » Armor
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Armor should ...
Protect only certain body regions so multiple pieces are sometimes needed for full coverage.
75%
 75%  [ 21 ]
Just be counted toward an armor score for one's entire body.
25%
 25%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 28

HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 8:02 am    Post subject: Armor

Just interested in the general populace's thoughts. Smile

Heck, staff, feel free to vote in this one too, if you want.

Option 2 means a helmet would add X points of defense to the full body, not just the head, whereas with option 1, it would only protect the head.

This is one of those realism vs. gameplay things Smile

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 10:23 am    Post subject:

There's no real reasoning behind option two when you're in a game that's supposedly RP-based. Smile

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 10:37 am    Post subject:

Ah, now I wouldn't go that far. Some people prefer it for ease. And really, some prefer to RP based on things other than the technical details and numbers, too.

I don't think there is any one "right way to RP". Personally, I am also for option 1, that's been the plan to date for Hael. But I'd like to gauge interest in option 2 nonetheless, and maybe be surprised. Maybe not. Smile

Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 12:37 pm    Post subject:

But Option 2 would be more geared for games that have an overall HP system (ie. Balder's Gate, Diablo, Warcraft, etc) and aren't concerned about where the blow was taken. Here, as it's been said, there's going to be actual visable wounds on certain areas (or else the Medic class would be somewhat pointless, unless they just healed HP for you), thus Option 1 would pretty much be necessary unless there was some random wound-placement kinda thing.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
Dragoonseal

Post Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 6:01 pm    Post subject:

Seeing as DR is the only game I know of that uses opinion 1, and knowing all the faults/annoying things with it (I know far too much about armor), I say unless you think you can do a better job of that kind of system, I vote for opinion 2.

Though I hope there will be multiple number fields attached to armors, not just defense points.

Just for example, plate armors, just because its 'plate' doesn't mean it should automatically give you a 30% hiding penalty, it should be based on the individual armors.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 6:02 pm    Post subject:

Yes, wounds are in specific areas. Smile

Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 8:45 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Just for example, plate armors, just because its 'plate' doesn't mean it should automatically give you a 30% hiding penalty, it should be based on the individual armors.

I know what you mean. I have no frikkin clue where the DR staff pulled that out of. Plate doesn't necessarily mean you're going to be hindered as if a car were stapled to your back -- what if it were made out of some neat material that was just as flexible as leather (Elven Mithril comes to mind, from LoTR, that was basically sturdy Chain Mail with the weight of a feather.. neat stuff).

Which kind of brings up another question. Will differing armor have differing "abilities" attached to them? Like in many graphic-oriented games (again, I refer to Baldur's Gate, Diablo, etc), will some give the wearer an extra value of Fire/Electric/Ice/Poison/Whatever resistance? Bonus to hiding/stalking? Bonus to skills in general (within reason -- I doubt gloves can give you a hiding bonus, or boots a Stealing bonus)?

It's quite the longshot asking the above, given that it could seriously become overpowered and totally out of balance.. not to mention the fact that you'd have one hell of a time giving the players the enchanting prowess to do as such (which, I guess, would be a Mage's realm.. but anyway) without complaining that it'd be better if <random bonus> could be added to <random item> because <random reason finding a loophole in reasonable logic>. Yeah. That'll be fun for you, Trevor.

Anyway. Off I go, now.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Jocelyn

Post Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 9:14 pm    Post subject:

I am not sure about skill bonus' (this is more Trevor's realm than mine). As mentioned before some armors will be completely incompatable with magic, and some will recieve certain types of hinderances, such as metal armor will not protect from electric damage (duh right?).
Dante
Boi Toi

Post Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 3:41 am    Post subject:

I'm torn. I like the realism of having to make sure that you cover all parts of your body with protective gear like DR had, but I also hated the fact that since random invasions or snerts could strike at any time, my day wear consisted of my armor over my altered shirt, designer bags, and custom fitted pants (Gor-Tog's need uh...space you know...). It would make things a lot simpler for me if we had a single armor score, and it might even be a way for more advanced means of armor like personal force fields or magical bands and things. But then there's that realism in the RP thing again. It's like I'm chasing my tail now...heh.
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 8:33 am    Post subject:

Quote:
But then there's that realism in the RP thing again. It's like I'm chasing my tail now...heh.

Toglers don't have tails. ::Blinks as he inches away from him::

--William, who will refrain from mentioning just what the Tog might be chasing

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Arden

Post Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 9:51 am    Post subject:

I've seen a READY command in some games. I think it automatically equipped anything you were holding (although, in the game I'm thinking of, you could hold a lot of stuff at once -- no left/right hand slots). It might still be useful, but I think it should give some roundtime.

Speaking of which, I'm not sure if this has been decided or not, but I think that putting on certain types of armor should accrue roundtime. I would imagine that putting on a suit of full plate would take some time.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 11:57 am    Post subject:

I agree wholeheartedly with Arden, there. I never understood how, in DR, you could put on all your armor (including body armor, which, I would think, would indeed take a long time to actually get on correctly) in less than a minute. Although, I guess they did that so, in case of an invasion, you could suit up fairly quickly. All's well, really, but I still think there should be at least a five second RT for extensive sets of armor.

And, on the READY command, that'd be pretty neat, I think. The only problem is that, if you carry around multiple sets of armor, for whatever reason, you'd probably have to resuit one or two things. ::Shrug::

Maybe...

>READY LEATHER
Bob Doe pulls out all of his leather armor from his <container>, peice by peice.
RT: 5 to 15 seconds depending on how many peices of leather armor you have -- you might just have leather body armor, for simple ease of movement, assuming leather would have less of a penalty in that area, while the rest of your armor is chain or plate

Something like that would be nice. Cut down on finding all your armor and all, I guess. Plus, for lazy people like me, it'd cut down on all that typing you'd have to do.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 2:48 pm    Post subject:

I guess I should describe how armor is planned, currently. I say planned, because nothing is in stone right now, not quite yet, but this is what we're working from currently.

- Armor covers specific areas. There are some virtually full body armors, and then there are smaller pieces for mix and match usage.

- Armor falls into two weight/power categories. First is the light armor and heavy armor delineation which puts lesser strength and weight armors in a category separate from heavier and more potent armors.

- Armor also falls into two technology categories. There is primitive/conventional armor types -- leather, plate, chain, etc. and modern armor types which are usually a bit lighter and protect well for their weight, but also have some weaknesses that conventional armor does not.

- Each armor item has a different level of modification to how much armor skill is needed to use it effectively, and how much hindrance it causes to various actions. Simply put, based on both the material the armor is made from, as well as the general construction and coverage, the armor has a rating of both difficulty to use and hindrance to actions.

- Armor falls into three genres of utility. There are body armors (including helmets, gloves, etc.), shields, and exo-shell armors. A shield may be used with either body or exo-shell.

- Exo-shell is a very modern type of armor that is heavy, expensive, and very high power. Exo-shell armor requires essence to use, and interferes with magic and psionics to great degree.

- Exo-shell is also broken into two categories - Plating and shielding. Plating is very heavy and very durable, protecting the user with the highest levels of protection. Shielding offers lesser but formidable defense, and has a regenerative / self-repairing aspect.

- Each armor adds to one's resistances for the areas covered. The material used to fashion the armor is a huge consideration.

The metals most often used for metallic armor are:

* Steel: Your standard material. Somewhat heavy, decent protection, poor protection against electricity.

* Titanium: A lightweight metal that is mostly on par with steel for protection, but provides increased protection from certain elements.

* Vellian: A heavy metal that provides superior protection from physical attacks but conducts electricity well also.

* Eilaro: A slightly heavy metal that provides slightly less adequate protection but conducts electricity poorly and therefore is good protection from that element.

* Ilirae: A lighter, less protective metal, but often used for its ease of use compared to other armors. Offers good heat protection.

* Drachna: A heavy metal (but lighter than Vellian) that offers excellent protection from cold attacks, but slightly inferior protection from heat. Offers good protection from physical attacks.

* Vyeftium: A light metal with superior anti-magic qualities. It's protective value against general attacks is not great, but it is often used to protect the wearer from magic and psionics.

* Kashanvana: A moderately weighted metal that is difficult to use but provides good protection against all damage types (tho no magic/psionic protection), and does not conduct electricity at -all-, so it is an excellent choice for that need.

Those are mainly used for conventional armor and shields.

For modern body armor, there several types, mainly made from the manufactured materials telyron, vaixaxi and vailyron. Essentially, telyron provides good protection against all damage types, vaixaxi is less protective but excellent against electricity, and vailyron falls in between those two as a hybrid.

You may have noticed that electrictrical damage is a prominent factor in armor choice. This is because pulse weapons fall under this category (as do electrical spells, some traps, etc. of course).

Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Polls » Armor
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: