FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Stealth
Goto page 1, 2  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Suggestions and Ideas » Stealth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fatboy

Post Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject: Stealth

Code:
sneak stair
You must climb that.

Would it be possible for Agents to climb stairs stealthily while in town? Particularly, the stairs leading to the underground. We can sneak into CC and we can sneak around in the underground, but we can't sneak INTO the underground.
Kit
Cybertech Extraordinaire~

Post Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Stealth

fatboy wrote:
Code:
sneak stair
You must climb that.

Would it be possible for Agents to climb stairs stealthily while in town? Particularly, the stairs leading to the underground. We can sneak into CC and we can sneak around in the underground, but we can't sneak INTO the underground.

Some things I just can't see...like staying in hiding as you race across CC and down the steps.

AIM: KitMurphyHR
Email: yojibalinese@hotmail.com
Technician Database: http://tech.haelrahv.net/
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Stealth

Kit wrote:
Some things I just can't see...like staying in hiding as you race across CC and down the steps.

i don't know, i'm sure if someone had stealth skill, it would be possible.

don't forget, hiding != being sneaky behind a bush. it's being unnoticed.
the blue fairy
Grandmistress

Post Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject:

Fatboy IM me at kittypesh I think I can help you out

A set of breast implants fall from the sky with a soft plop.

Caretaker Jornnoj Vunn looks up at the sky.

A passing guard suddenly shits himself.
 Back to top »
fatboy

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject:

No Kit. Agents can move about unseen with no RT. I can come out of the Underground hidden, I can move into and out of CC hidden. The problem seems to be having to type Climb to go down the stairs. The game isn't recognizing it as normal movement. But If I can go up the stairs, I should be able to go down them.
HR-Beau
The Good Fairy

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject:

Hmm. You can know CLIMB the STAIRCASE to get out of the underground. Smile
If there is one thing in the world that I know, love conquers all, it trancends time and space, defies all odds, and can bring you back from the darkness, it is the guiding light that helps bring you in from the rough stormy seas of life, and it remains even after you have gone.
~ Adam ~

www.angeluserratus.net
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
fatboy

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject:

So, I guess we weren't suposed to be able to sneak up it either?
fatboy

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject:

Code:
[The Llanfair Underground, Main Stairwell]
This dimly lit staircase seems to be some sort of entry and exit point for the underground. Up above you can hear the bustle of people as they go about their business at Cloud Court in the center of the city. At the foot up the steps lies a turnstile, apparently regulating access to the rest of the area.

You also see a metal turnstile and a stone staircase set into the wall.
>up
You go up.

[Llanfair, Cloud Court]
Overlooking the beautiful gardens to the east and west, this large circular balcony surrounded by short ivy-covered walls offers a magnificent view of the surrounding city. Serving as a popular purlieu on sunny afternoons and weekends, civilians gather and enjoy the refreshing treats offered at a small vending cart in the platform's center. Set into the short wall surrounding the balcony is a recessed staircase with several faintly flickering gas lamps lighting the way down.

I can still remain hidden with my agent ability and go "Up" without climbing the stairs. What I would like to do is go "Down" and remain hidden. With our ability we can moved virtually any which way, up, down, north, south, through doors, areches, etc, but when it comes to climbing the system doesn't seem to recognize that as "normal" movement even though you actually "walk" down stairs.
HR-Beau
The Good Fairy

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject:

I believe the "realism" intended here is that going "down" is normally used in an area that would have room for you to hide in, while climbing an object....is usually something people would notice. What are the chances you'd be able to hide while going down a narrow set of steps?
If there is one thing in the world that I know, love conquers all, it trancends time and space, defies all odds, and can bring you back from the darkness, it is the guiding light that helps bring you in from the rough stormy seas of life, and it remains even after you have gone.
~ Adam ~

www.angeluserratus.net
 Back to top »
fatboy

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject:

I just didn't understand why I could go up and not down. But wahtever, you changed it. So it's no longer an issue.

As far as realism goes, it's not realistic to hide in broad daylight with people right next to you, but that happens also.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:36 am    Post subject:

Hiding, as a concept in games such as Hael, is in great part an implied or assumed thing.

For instance, one assumes you aren't literally standing next to other people when you hide in a room, often that the room is decently sized or sometimes even massive, and actually possesses adequate cover.

I can see arguments for climbing too of course. For instance, let's say you're talking about an area with a guard patrol, less than perfect lighting and some level of terrain obscurity such as wall extensions that can block view. Hiding in this instance could actually be defined as ducking under the top of terrain while still standing on a ladder, leaning into wall or pressing up against the interior of a stairwell.

Haelrahv doesn't lend itself to actually providing exceptions based on terrain and situation like this because skulking about is a feature of the game, but the game isn't oriented around it. If the game were primarily oriented around sneaking around areas undetected as a concept -- such as a game about secret agents, assassins or spies for instance, I'm sure we'd put this much detail into those systems. But as it is, these types of systems are details, not primary content / substance.

All of that said, I don't really feel intentionally blocking sneaking on climb portals is necessary, unless we feel a particular portal would be prohibitively hard to sneak through or if allowing sneaking would break some more important feature such as an entry restriction.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy

Last edited by HR-Trevor on Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:00 am; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject:

HR-Beau wrote:
What are the chances you'd be able to hide while going down a narrow set of steps?

the way i see it, stealth skill would include the knowledge of when to travel down something when noone is looking.

someone really stealthy should be a master of being able to hide out in the open.
the blue fairy
Grandmistress

Post Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject:

Yeah!
hehe

A set of breast implants fall from the sky with a soft plop.

Caretaker Jornnoj Vunn looks up at the sky.

A passing guard suddenly shits himself.
 Back to top »
tygerwulf
Teh Pink Assassin.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:50 am    Post subject:

>sneak yaru
You carefully sneak into Yaru Dex's pants. You win.
Daedalus
Local Pimp

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:00 am    Post subject:

tygerwulf wrote:
>sneak yaru
You carefully sneak into Yaru Dex's pants. You win.

Looks like Michael Jackson has some competition.
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Suggestions and Ideas » Stealth
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: