FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Tips for services.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Player-Created Polls » Tips for services.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Tip or no tip? That is the question. . .
Hell yes, I will bitch and chase them down for my tip.
50%
 50%  [ 10 ]
Nah, I don't NEED one but if it's offered, sure I'll take it.
45%
 45%  [ 9 ]
I don't accept tips, anyone that does should be shot.
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 20

Tugor
Orgasm Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Tips for services.

When playing a character that provides services for others how do you feel about tipping\payment for services rendered? If you think tips\payment should be customary, what percentage or fee does your PC charge for their work?

Naru gets a 25% selling bonus now. Which means that a quarter of anything he gets other PC's brokering was because of him. So he really hates it when he brokers for someone and makes them an extra $100k for a total of $400k and they tip him like $5k heh. It's one of the main reasons he's gonna stop brokering for the public so much.
Sorkaa

Post Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject:

I get miffed at people who don't tip me, but it's more principle than a desire for cash. If someone asks what they owe, I just tell them "whatever you think is appropriate," and I'm happy with anything they give me.
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject:

I'm still against the term "tip". Unless society has evolved into a type of utopia, nobody in their right mind would perform a task without requiring payment in some form. "Tip" implies that whatever you're giving the person isn't required and is rather just how you feel about the services rendered (like how you wouldn't give a bad waitress the full 15-20% of the bill before you leave).

So, I'm all for people requiring payment upfront. Or starting "blacklists" for those people that end up not paying after you perform your service.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
Tylen
Alpha Antifemale

Post Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips for services.

Tugor wrote:
Naru gets a 25% selling bonus now. Which means that a quarter of anything he gets other PC's brokering was because of him.

It's a fifth, not a quarter (not counting whatever extra he gets them for commodities by not affecting the prices as much).
** The phrase "break a leg" just wasn't ambitious enough for Mellie Knight. [8:31 pm]
** Mellie Knight was soundly defeated by Aesal Anari-Idia in the Zgedhi Gkenrzeg Rav! [8:31 pm]
 Back to top »
Tugor
Orgasm Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject:

Oh it's 20%? I didn't do the fine math and just generally rounded so I came up with 25%, thanks for the info.
Sorkaa

Post Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject:

No, I think what he means is, their profit is 100%, plus your 25% = 125%. Therefore your 25% is one-fifth of what they made, not one quarter.

As an added note, if they were going to make 300k but wound up making 400k with you, that would be a 33% bonus.

I partially agree with William; a tip is something you offer someone as gratitude. If you want payment, set a price. But I also disagree - I think a lot of people "in their right minds" perform services without expecting payment.
 Back to top »
fatboy

Post Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject:

What about Medics? I've seen, on many occasions, people ask to get healed then run off after they are with no tip or thank you to the medic. Screw that. I think medics should assess a potential patients injuries then tell it's going to be this amount. then make them pay up front.
the blue fairy
Grandmistress

Post Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject:

So what does Naru EXPECT to get from that example? I know I tip young crats the same as I tip older crats, its better for them because I usually tip them more than they got me extra, but that cant be said for older crats. How much of the extra is considered a reasonable payment?

A set of breast implants fall from the sky with a soft plop.

Caretaker Jornnoj Vunn looks up at the sky.

A passing guard suddenly shits himself.
 Back to top »
Kit
Cybertech Extraordinaire~

Post Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject:

Lertig wrote:
What about Medics? I've seen, on many occasions, people ask to get healed then run off after they are with no tip or thank you to the medic. Screw that. I think medics should assess a potential patients injuries then tell it's going to be this amount. then make them pay up front.

Do what Kit and Zap do. Before they repair, they flash their cards. The payment is agreed upon beforehand and then they trade the repaired goods back for the cash.

I honestly don't need the money. However, part of Kit's profession is repairing. You get PAID for your profession.

AIM: KitMurphyHR
Email: yojibalinese@hotmail.com
Technician Database: http://tech.haelrahv.net/
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject:

Didn't we already have this discussion here? Granted, it was more specific, but the concept was the same. I think there are always going to be people that tip and people that don't. I, personally, always tip if I can; I've had medics run away from me before I had the chance to do anything. I'm not going to tell anybody what to do because I'm not playing, and I don't plan on playing, a professon that's tip-based. I'm in favor of optional tips, because it makes me feel like a better person if I give of my own volition rather than being asked *grins*. However, I wouldn't object if everybody wanted money up front for what they did, as long as it's reasonable (I think a lot of people would just go to the npc healer if it was cheaper than a real person).

I'd like to add that I don't think you can call it a tip if you have to chase them down for it *grins*.
 Back to top »
Tylen
Alpha Antifemale

Post Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject:

SolitaryTurnip wrote:
Didn't we already have this discussion here? Granted, it was more specific, but the concept was the same.

Yeah, we did.
** The phrase "break a leg" just wasn't ambitious enough for Mellie Knight. [8:31 pm]
** Mellie Knight was soundly defeated by Aesal Anari-Idia in the Zgedhi Gkenrzeg Rav! [8:31 pm]
 Back to top »
HR-Beau
The Good Fairy

Post Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject:

This is my take on things with only skimming over the other replies....its silly to expect people to perform a service for nothing. Its silly to perform a service for everyone for nothing. Now with that said, there's nothing wrong with doing things for free for friends, but think about how many people in your real lives you would do everything for free....how many people would you do things for at cost? I have a friend who fractured her spine last week, so I went to get dog food for her puppy. Well, I did the tast at cost....she's a friend, but I can't afford to give up $20 for a dog I don't like, but I could afford the gas and the time. Did I make money? No. Did I lose money? A little, but not all of it. So basically I did this task at cost. Now, if I ran a business I'd go under for doing free things for everyone. That's not to say I couldn't charge family cost, and give friends a discount. But the general public would still have to pay retail price.

I challenege you to re-think how you view everyone around you....are you REALLY friends with _everyone_ to the point that you'd take a financial (albeit small one) loss? Or are they people you know? I commend Yaru for taking a skill he's good at and setting out to profit from it. I commend those of you who help out your friends and newcomers by handing out cash that you don't need, but try to be in character with it.

</soapbox>
If there is one thing in the world that I know, love conquers all, it trancends time and space, defies all odds, and can bring you back from the darkness, it is the guiding light that helps bring you in from the rough stormy seas of life, and it remains even after you have gone.
~ Adam ~

www.angeluserratus.net
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tugor
Orgasm Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject:

Naru expects 30-50% of the extra he nets people. That's not asking too much.
Kit
Cybertech Extraordinaire~

Post Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject:

Tugor wrote:
Naru expects 30-50% of the extra he nets people. That's not asking too much.

I give brokers from 5-10% of the total. Younger brokers tend to get more from me.

I mind giving brokers money. Techs, medics, tailors, etc all provide services that take time and effort (making a backpack, healing a wound, repairing a chip). Brokers just type YES.

There's no roundtime, no effort. Bureaucrats just better at it as they get older because of skills and stats, not because they have to spend several minutes in RT brokering for someone.

That, and giving someone that has more then 5 times what I have a big tip for typing YES kinda bugs me.

AIM: KitMurphyHR
Email: yojibalinese@hotmail.com
Technician Database: http://tech.haelrahv.net/
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject:

Well, I guess you can see the 30-50% payment as paying for their time to train appropriate stats and skills just to get you extra money.

That's really what you're doing with everyone else's service, too, considering most everyone scripts that service. Thus negating effort.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Player-Created Polls » Tips for services.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: