FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
More gadget ideas
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Technicians » More gadget ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject:

I was under the impression that gadgets were just going to be little doodads -- like flashlights and whatnot -- and not pimped out versions of existing electronic devices. This isn't to say that I disagree with the possibility of having ultra-1337-comms; I just don't remember that being brought into a picture.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
Kit
Cybertech Extraordinaire~

Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject:

Brokyn wrote:
I was under the impression that gadgets were just going to be little doodads -- like flashlights and whatnot -- and not pimped out versions of existing electronic devices. This isn't to say that I disagree with the possibility of having ultra-1337-comms; I just don't remember that being brought into a picture.

--William

Well, some of the suggestions Drake told us about himself included EMP grenades and weapons. I don't think we're talking fluff for everything. And there's also some espionage gear in the works. ::cackles::

AIM: KitMurphyHR
Email: yojibalinese@hotmail.com
Technician Database: http://tech.haelrahv.net/
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tugor
Orgasm Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:02 am    Post subject:

Heh EMP grenades. Those are so gonna be abused.
HR-Drake
Machine King

Post Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject:

I'd suggested EMP grenades as an example, and while they would be pretty cool, implementing them to affect pretty much anything that has a circuitboard would not only be painstaking work, but, as Tugor said, they would also be very abused (think: dumb/angry/annoying/take your pick SOB stocks up 100 EMP grenades, repeatedly throws them at people with cyberware, medics who are healing, technician droids, etc. Pain in the ass). However, a bunch of other types of grenades are a possibility, so long as balance issues are dealt with.
Kit
Cybertech Extraordinaire~

Post Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:41 am    Post subject:

HR-Drake wrote:
I'd suggested EMP grenades as an example, and while they would be pretty cool, implementing them to affect pretty much anything that has a circuitboard would not only be painstaking work, but, as Tugor said, they would also be very abused (think: dumb/angry/annoying/take your pick SOB stocks up 100 EMP grenades, repeatedly throws them at people with cyberware, medics who are healing, technician droids, etc. Pain in the ass). However, a bunch of other types of grenades are a possibility, so long as balance issues are dealt with.

As Yaru said in another thread (and I agree): Everything will be abused and it's unfair to build things around the assholes.

I was giving the EMP example to prove that we're not just making fluff here....but things people will really want.

Pulse grenades!

AIM: KitMurphyHR
Email: yojibalinese@hotmail.com
Technician Database: http://tech.haelrahv.net/
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Enverdi
Strange and Exciting

Post Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Err, what would a pulse grenade do, exactly? Umm...throb?
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject:

Just thought I'd bring this back up, to keep all of the suggestions in one place. Kit brought this up a few months ago.

Arrow Watches. Little wrist-worn devices to tell us the time. For this point in the game's development, I don't think anyone would mind if it simply told us if it was dawn, morning, noon, evening, sunset, or night. Like..

Code:
>read my watch
Taking a quick glance at your watch, you realize that it's currently the wee hours of the morning.

>read my watch
Taking a quick glance at your watch, you realize that it's currently mid-day.

>read my watch
Taking a quick glance at your watch, you realize that it's currently the dead of night.

..There's no real need to compose a real time system for the game right now, especially with Live just around the corner (generalization). I'd hope for a real time system in Live, but that's up for you guys.

Arrow Whenever houses are released (no, I'm not trying to bug anyone to release them right now or anything), I'd like to see clocks be able to be manufactured. Just something to mount on the walls or set on a table.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Beau
The Good Fairy

Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject:

You have no idea how much fun people have had trying to make clocks/watches a reality. I can't give you an estimate on when they'll be available, or if anyone is even working on them right now.
If there is one thing in the world that I know, love conquers all, it trancends time and space, defies all odds, and can bring you back from the darkness, it is the guiding light that helps bring you in from the rough stormy seas of life, and it remains even after you have gone.
~ Adam ~

www.angeluserratus.net
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject:

I figured they'd at least been toyed around with for awhile. The idea's been brought up a lot here on the boards, and I'm sure lots of people have spammed the SUGGESTion box asking for them. But I thought maybe now that the gadget system is out, Drake could take a spin at it.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
Tylen
Alpha Antifemale

Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject:

Brokyn wrote:
J Arrow Watches. Little wrist-worn devices to tell us the time. For this point in the game's development, I don't think anyone would mind if it simply told us if it was dawn, morning, noon, evening, sunset, or night. Like..

Code:
>read my watch
Taking a quick glance at your watch, you realize that it's currently the wee hours of the morning.

>read my watch
Taking a quick glance at your watch, you realize that it's currently mid-day.

>read my watch
Taking a quick glance at your watch, you realize that it's currently the dead of night.

That's the most useless thing I've read so far today. You can already observe the sky to get that much.
** The phrase "break a leg" just wasn't ambitious enough for Mellie Knight. [8:31 pm]
** Mellie Knight was soundly defeated by Aesal Anari-Idia in the Zgedhi Gkenrzeg Rav! [8:31 pm]
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject:

I was offering that up in case whoever wanted to do watches/clocks didn't feel like sitting down and constructing an entire time system for a version of the game that's going to be wiped in the relatively near future.

Besides, you wanted watches awhile ago, too.
http://www.haelrahv.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=1655&highlight=watch+watches

And you managed to use my retort:
Quote:
I observe the sky all the time. Well if I happen to be outdoors. And if it happens to be daytime.

I figured suggesting something that might get it implemented a little easier/faster wouldn't hurt.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
Tylen
Alpha Antifemale

Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject:

I want watches that have much more precision than we can currently get in game (minutes is probably the best I'd hope for). Coding up something that just tells you if it's morning/evening/night is (in my opinion) a waste of time.
** The phrase "break a leg" just wasn't ambitious enough for Mellie Knight. [8:31 pm]
** Mellie Knight was soundly defeated by Aesal Anari-Idia in the Zgedhi Gkenrzeg Rav! [8:31 pm]
 Back to top »
Tugor
Orgasm Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject:

Tylen wrote:
I want watches that have much more precision than we can currently get in game (minutes is probably the best I'd hope for). Coding up something that just tells you if it's morning/evening/night is (in my opinion) a waste of time.

Heh well I'm sure many could come up with a list of things that were released they deemed 'a waste of time' to code.

Really, it all depends on the level of difficulty in coding something of this nature. Trevor has stated before that if things are really easy to code he usually just takes the time to whip it together quick like and that's it.

Things that could have been considered a waste of time have been coded in the space of hours and implimented just as quickly.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:14 am    Post subject:

To clarify a little, the factors that go into deciding whether something is added on the fly like this are:

- How easy it is to do.
- How much I feel like working on it.
- How far-ranging the effects of adding it are.
- How guilty I will feel if I spend time on it.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Nelle
Ooh Nuuurse..

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
To clarify a little, the factors that go into deciding whether something is added on the fly like this are:

- How easy it is to do.
- How far-ranging the effects of adding it are.
- How guilty I will feel if I spend time on it.

That almost sounds like how I prioritize my stack of stuff to do at work. Laughing
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Technicians » More gadget ideas
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: