FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Basic Gadget Ideas
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Technicians » Basic Gadget Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kit
Cybertech Extraordinaire~

Post Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject:

Brokyn wrote:
Well, there was that whole random information thread Trevor started close to the beginning. I feel bad for taking Vhen's job, but..

http://www.haelrahv.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=113

..Though, it's not too much. But I'm sure we'll all find out in time. I even think there's been another thread somewhere. Oh well. I don't feel like using the search function for several minutes trying to find everything. I'm sure Vhen won't mind, though.

--William

Thanks!

AIM: KitMurphyHR
Email: yojibalinese@hotmail.com
Technician Database: http://tech.haelrahv.net/
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
HR-Drake
Machine King

Post Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:01 am    Post subject:

Eh, personal teleportation devices are highly unlikely, and, as William mentioned, would make mage/psionic abilities very un-unique. So I'd say it's a no-go with those.

A telepathy interception device sounds kinda fun, but comms are sort of a tech telepathy system, so we'll see about that. Wink

Light refractors would be interesting.. I'll see if that's a possibility.

soundless has it right -- unique concepts! Let's get some original ideas for gadgets Wink
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:13 am    Post subject:

here's a dorky one i'd like to have.

some kind of robot that you can place in a container and have it gather all of one item.

let's say yaru is dumb enough to put all his marbles into his schoolbag, and they get mixed up with everything else.

let's say he wants to get them all out, but doesn't want to pick through it by hand.

instead, what he can do is SET ROBOT TO MARBLE, put it inside his schoolbag, and START ROBOT. it then whirrs around in there a bit, and once he's done he'll have them all in him. yaru can then place the robot in another container, do something like PULL ROBOT, making him pull some lever that dumps them all in that container.

think a targetted DUMP command (ps: we still need that command).
HR-Drake
Machine King

Post Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:19 am    Post subject:

Actually, I like that idea Wink
Kit

Post Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject:

HR-Drake wrote:
Actually, I like that idea Wink

That does sound amusing. Having 'helper' droids has always been something I want to make, though I've been thinking along the lines med-bots to help medics, tailor-bots to help artisans, those sorts of things.

Other robots that might be interesting:

Messanger droids. You can tell these droids a simple message, they record it, and have a simple GPS (read: can only find people in short range) unit that will allow the droid to run off and tell the person your message.

Crusher Bots. Put all of your crushables in this little bot and send it churning and crushing away! Because we technicians rock, we can make it so that the bot internally seperates components and bundles them. There could even be a catch that once you put stuff in you can't get it out until the droid presents it in crushed form. It will not accept items that can not be crushed.

And, of course, what I'm dying for: Personal vehicles that work like journies...only they can cross over things that journeys can't. You can program these vehicles to take you were you want to go! There would be driving vehicles for land travel and also more complicated all-terrain types that would be like hovercrafts! Now you don't have to wait for boats! I really think this is the sort of thing that would take forever to make.

Drake, how about getting workshops as a room for homes so we don't have to go to a lab?

Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject:

i'm not sure if nautical helps with rowing but...

it would be cool if there was a gadget someone can attach to a rowboat that makes it a speedboat type thing.

sincerely,
someone who takes way too damn long to row to jareya.
Kit

Post Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
i'm not sure if nautical helps with rowing but...

it would be cool if there was a gadget someone can attach to a rowboat that makes it a speedboat type thing.

sincerely,
someone who takes way too damn long to row to jareya.

That's a good one too. And practical. I have to say, I'm a little disappointed about transporters and I was looking forward to hi-tech ways to doing what magic can so I don't have to be a mage to do things as well as they can.

How about building scopes that ACTUALLY increase perception and targetting creatures?

Nanos. We'd be able to manufacture little robot bugs that medics could then inject into people to heal internal damage or repair bone fractures.

An electronic blade sharpener. Takes comm batteries and some skill to operate to get the angle correctly.

Explosives! So! You're tired of searching for traps and disarming them? Tired of picking? Well, blow the damned box up! Only problem is, anything flamable gets destroyed and so will you if you're holding onto it. You'd keep the metals and gems though!

Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject:

since it's doable with droids, perhaps the ability to hack into cybergear to alter how welli t works.
Kit

Post Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
since it's doable with droids, perhaps the ability to hack into cybergear to alter how welli t works.

That would be good. A 50+ tech can do droid hacking. It would give higher techs something more to do.

Back to top »
dragonseyes

Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:36 am    Post subject:

Deleted.

Last edited by dragonseyes on Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject:

Psionic ability isn't really magic. But I'm splitting hairs here. Of course, if you're personally opposed to magic, I'd suspect that "occult research" isn't a whole lot better.

But psionic ability is all about using your own latent abilities, or something like that. You're not really drawing on any mystical power other than your own mind.... or something like that. At least, that's how I figure it.
 Back to top »
Kit

Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject:

Magic is a fantasy staple. We're not talking about Wicca. And there is no 'Devil' here. There is, however, Yeii. You're playing in an adult sci-fi/fantasy game with genital peircings. Yes, I want tech round about equivalents to what others have because there are those things in other sci-fi settlings AND because a tech isn't a magic user and gets mad minuses to magic. However, I've always found that bringing in your religious views into a roleplay setting where they don't exist can be....troublesome. You seem like a cool guy, Alex, but I think you're looking at this from an anti-new age perspective when this has nothing to so with the magic-is-a-form-of-prayer-only mentality that Wiccans. Magic is fantasy! Magic is Harry Potter and Dungeons and Dragons and Lord of the Rings. And there are GOOD gods in the HR pantheons that give out that magic.

Back to top »
dragonseyes

Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject:

Kit, you make a good point. And while my ideals on magic are far less religious, and more practical, that's where the similarities between IRL and IC end. *Ponder* I chose Tech, because I believed that one day, Tech's WOULD be able to do SOME of the stuff that the Magic type world had. Now all of a sudden, I'm being told that there will be a strong reliance on Magical means. On a purely RP note, unless you want more cookie cutter shaped people, reliance on pure magic would kill the tech side. I mean, if we wanted things to be more magical, NERF the swords, until they put a flaming aura on them. And limiting who can warp at all is just like saying "These people are special, and have achieved greater then all others." At least, for me, being able to "Travel" has always been a high level, high power goal item. And here, Even ARTISANS can do it, but NOT techs. And honestly, my biggest gripe was that an ARTISAN was telling us TECH's that we couldn't do what they could. And on our board. It wouldn't bother me so much, except that I don't go ragging them on their boards. And nor am I going to start now. 2 people are not going to make me start disrespecting everyone else.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
dragonseyes

Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject:

SolitaryTurnip wrote:
Psionic ability isn't really magic. But I'm splitting hairs here. Of course, if you're personally opposed to magic, I'd suspect that "occult research" isn't a whole lot better.

But psionic ability is all about using your own latent abilities, or something like that. You're not really drawing on any mystical power other than your own mind.... or something like that. At least, that's how I figure it.

And agreed. It makes sense.
zamde
Maestro

Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:27 am    Post subject:

For starters, not as many people have Telepathy as you think. I've been playing since the day HR opened its doors to players, and only picked it up myself this past winter -- I still get more use out of my comm. I'm not even touching on the sacrificing skill points thing because, boohoo, the point of Haelrahv doesn't lie in the ability to max out every possible avenue you want to be good in.

Secondly, if people are losing this much bowel control over a 5-minute boat trip in land-centralized Beta, then it's only fair to admit that I'm looking forward to the outright panic attacks and massive coronary failure in Live, when we'll be travelling to cities and landmasses stretched across the width of a globe. Who really gives a crap if someone cuts out four and a half minutes out of a trip in Beta? More precisely, if you see no incentive to expand your travelling horizons, what the heck do you care at all? It's certainly easy to sit on one side of a hill and complain about the other side that you've never bothered climbing to.

Lastly, I'd like to think we've all matured beyond the concept of burning eternally in a lake of fire. Do I fear for my mortal soul because I used Armor Aura before hunting Kuchos? I'll take my chances.

Quote:
And limiting who can warp at all is just like saying "These people are special, and have achieved greater then all others." At least, for me, being able to "Travel" has always been a high level, high power goal item. And here, Even ARTISANS can do it, but NOT techs.

Dude, do you know what you're actually saying? "I'm jealous because someone can teleport to an island with a volcano and some looms, and I can't."

Dixie Pierce says, "I heard Zamde can't have kids cause she lactates poison."

[Telepathy] Yaru Dex projects: I thought Zamde doesn't have kids because her womb is full of aisobs.

You can't spell "slaughter" without 'laughter'.

Llanfair Anti-Cyber Brigade Member #0000

Last edited by zamde on Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Technicians » Basic Gadget Ideas
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: