FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
The Future of Magic and Psionics
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Magic and Psionics » The Future of Magic and Psionics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nelle
Ooh Nuuurse..

Post Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject:

Okay so let me see if I understand this correctly. Let's say I know the spell Sacrifice right now. In order to keep this spell, I will have to go make a spell book and all that?
Kit
Cybertech Extraordinaire~

Post Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject:

Nelle wrote:
Okay so let me see if I understand this correctly. Let's say I know the spell Sacrifice right now. In order to keep this spell, I will have to go make a spell book and all that?

Not yet. The changes aren't out yet. And isn't sacrifice going to be mage only? Al lthat said, after making the books, you still have to find the magic pages...and for the moment, they're all in the treasure system, right?

Edit: Sorry. I was thinking blood siphon.

AIM: KitMurphyHR
Email: yojibalinese@hotmail.com
Technician Database: http://tech.haelrahv.net/

Last edited by Kit on Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject:

Random question/suggestion: will this magic/psi update leave way for unique character-created spells/abilities? Like, at level 100 (or some other arbitrary level) you're able to send in your idea for creation to the Counselors and, after several months of making sure that it's fair and balanced, you'll be able to use it like any other spell.

Nurr, that had to be the best sentence ever. So yeah. It seems like it'd be a nice little perk for Psionics and Mages... able to create your own spell or ability. I doubt it's possible, at least not until Live.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
Kit

Post Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject:

Question:

Say I have 30 in Occult lore. That gives me telepathy, mental link, and sense object.

With the new system, this means I can only memorize 3 abilities in a given 48 period or so? I'm a little confused as to what is the hierarchy of spells is.

I also have 20 in spell casting and 70 in spell research (for my spellsongs, which aren't affected in this, right?) and that lets me have my Aura Armor and my Elemental shield.

Will this mean that I can study 2 mage spells so long as they are for everyone, so long as I have the pages?

Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

We aren't at that point yet - Right now most of the spells being put in are new spells (some exceptions exist). Some of the existing spells you'll eventually need to find pages for, and some of them you'll be able to buy the pages for.

Quote:
Random question/suggestion: will this magic/psi update leave way for unique character-created spells/abilities? Like, at level 100 (or some other arbitrary level) you're able to send in your idea for creation to the Counselors and, after several months of making sure that it's fair and balanced, you'll be able to use it like any other spell.

Both the old and new systems would allow for this but there are absolutely no plans to custom tailor spells for a specific player.

Quote:
With the new system, this means I can only memorize 3 abilities in a given 48 period or so? I'm a little confused as to what is the hierarchy of spells is.

There are no spell/power slots in the new system. You can study as many spells and powers as you have pages in your spellbook (limited by profession, however). So if you had 10 powers in your book usable by your profession then you can memorize and use all of them. Your Occult Lore will only modify how long it takes to memorize each power and how long you remember it before you need to study it again.

However, each power has its own difficulty. Let's say you have 30 Psionic Ability skill, and one of your powers is Trance which we'll pretend has a difficulty of 60. This would be an incredibly difficult power for you to use and you'd fail a lot. These failures could injure or kill you, but in most cases you'd simply lose the focus you were expending on that power and get a roundtime. However, if you tried to use a harder power, say one with a difficulty of 160, your chances of injuring/killing yourself in the process are much higher.

And yes, spellsongs are not affected by this new system for magic and psionics.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Dante
Boi Toi

Post Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject:

I think this goes without saying, but will Psionics and Mages have an easier time of casting difficult powers/spells than the other classes?
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I think this goes without saying, but will Psionics and Mages have an easier time of casting difficult powers/spells than the other classes?

Via your skill bonus, yes. There's no other bonus in play at this point. But a 20% skill bonus makes quite a difference.

Back to top »
Kit

Post Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject:

Will there be a way to guage how difficult it is? Like:

This spell looks easy for you to control.
This spell looks difficult for you to control.
This spell would probably fry your ass if you tried to cast it.

Or will we just kinda have to guess?

Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject:

I imagine you know the answer by now, but yes it tells you this (unless it's a spell your profession has no access to).

Back to top »
Kit

Post Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
I imagine you know the answer by now, but yes it tells you this (unless it's a spell your profession has no access to).

Yes, thanks. ^.^ I think I must have been reading your mind when it came to that. Spellbooks really are fun.

Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject:

Code:
You have learned the following Alteration spells:
Armor Aura, Elemental Shield, Arcane Shield, Static Cloak, Siphon Vigor, Blood Siphon, Fortify Legion, Shield Legion, and Protect Legion.

You have learned the following Elemental spells:
Icy Aura, Flame Wave, Lightning Bolt, Acid Bolt, and Icy Aura.

You have learned fourteen spells.

i'm guessing i shouldn't worry about seeing Icy Aura twice, as the first one will be gone once that system dies?
Torr-Mayne

Post Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject:

I'd just like to throw my opinion out there, forgetting the spells at a maximum of 60 hours isn't deemed as cool to me. Forgetting the spells altogether isn't that good of an idea.. but I'll follow suit in saying perhaps those of us who have put alot of exp into spells and psionics could remember them a bit longer. Or professions such as Mages, Psions, and Guardians who are pretty much reliant on spells could have a bonus to remembering them. Perhaps even a different form of a spellbook for guardians, like a scrollbook or something more attuned to my characters lifestyle.
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject:

Guardians have no real connection to spellcasting...

As for the memorizing stuff, I don't know how I feel about it. Personally, I might just end up writing a script (as always) to just study each page. I'll do that every day and I'll be fine. This won't really ruin my life or anything. I can see this being frustrating for people who use ALL their spells, but this will also encourage players to figure out what spells they really want to know at all times and which are utility niche things they shouldn't bother having on hand at all times.

Before this, niche spells (like sense object) might be bypassed for things seen as more useful. Now, someone can feel free learning niche spells because they can easily memorize them just at the times when they feel they need to use them.
Scotty Smith

Post Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject:

Could you make it so that we could write on the cover of the books we make? and hurry and let us buy blank pages again so we can write story books to sell to each other and have like journals that way?
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject:

Lovin wrote:
Could you make it so that we could write on the cover of the books we make? and hurry and let us buy blank pages again so we can write story books to sell to each other and have like journals that way?

journals are for sale at Adelai-whatever's chateau out the north gate of Llanfair.
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Magic and Psionics » The Future of Magic and Psionics
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: