FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
General Racial discussions
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Role-playing & Socialization » General Racial discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dante
Boi Toi

Post Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject: General Racial discussions

This is moved from the Eolai topic, since I think it would be better and more appropriately placed here.

Renian wrote:
Which reminds me...how come almost no one is a Jaddan? The Mighty trait and the one that gives vitality would seem really good in a combat-orientated character.

Well, first of all there IS no trait that gives you a vitality training bonus (for whatever reason...I checked too). My thoughts, I think it's partly because people view them as the "big dumb combat tank character" and because of their stat penalties. Jaddan have penalties in training every stat except for Strength, Vitality, and Charisma. They're kind of tailor made to be incredibly effecient Guardians simply because the stats Guardians need are the ones they have bonuses in. I think it's kind of sad that there isn't more Jaddan players, but it's worth noting that of the small number of active Jaddan characters, three of them are not in melee professions, they're in magic weilding professions.

Another reason is sadly because of the one Kit gave about their "inherent sex appeal", though I think most people think Jaddan are ugly because of the racial artwork that depicts us as semi-troll like with disfigured heads. I don't really like that rendition of the Jaddan at all. I think Orodreth's vision of them is much closer to what Jaddan look like.

Kit wrote:
Why don't people play Alteri....not much sex appeal.

I have to agree, though I think it's a pretty stupid reason not to play one. More, though, I think People don't play Alteri simply because they are a bit foreign looking, as in not really human. The three dominant races player population wise are all very similar to humans. Alteri (and Jaddan to some extent) are just far too different for some people. For ME, I will never RP a human, simply because I AM one.

Kit wrote:
I think more people would play Jaddan if they weren't male dominanted, but rather female dominated.

I don't agree with that theory at all because new players usually have no clue that males are ranked above females in the Jaddan social caste. Their stats are geared more towards fighter types, yes, but I think it's because women don't want to be some huge, hulking, alien amazon. Dreg and Lyn of course have my respect for going against that. Wink There was another female player that started to play a female Jaddan, but then switched to an Eolai because she didn't "feel sexy enough". Basically, she wanted to get some and didn't think she could as a Jaddan. Laughing
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 6:14 pm    Post subject:

Some other observations, based solely on my speculation in observing the ant farm:

Darju -
Women like playing them because of (the misconception of) the image of the sensually languid and sexy cat-woman.
Men like playing them because (of the the misconception that) women have a thing for witless brute sex-machines that culturally like to beat each other with sticks.

To make a long story short, don't tell it.

I may be going nowhere, but I'm going nowhere fast.
---
Kelvin Watt says, "I stopped drinking coke when no longer drinking beer didn't make my gut disappear."
---
Kaelin Rae says, "Wait a minute..."
Kaelin Rae says, "You mean they have a COKE machine that dispenses beer."
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
Kaelin Rae says, "Greaser."
Kaelin Rae looks at you and sighs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TheTrackerChick
Babe of Doom

Post Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 6:29 pm    Post subject:

As blue as Xice is, no hair, big eyeballs (though he's taller than Inaira) there is no one else for Inaira. I play her as seeing the sexiness in every race. Sure an Eolai and an Alteri might seem a strange couple, but I don't think anyone can deny that there aren't many stronger bonds than they have. I also have read the history of both races, and that's why Inaira feels such a kindship towards Alteris. Also, Xice is very appealing to Inaira, she realizes his mind strength, his logic, and of course his blue moon.

I don't have a problem with players RPing bigotry or racism, but Inaira believes in tolerance and seeing past the outside appearances. Wink

And this post was written to just explain how I play Inaira, not to come down on anyone's RP.
Kit
Cybertech Extraordinaire~

Post Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject:

Dante--
I like to think players do some basic character research. I had actually been planning on playing a Jaddan (I think they're cuter on the webpage then Orodreth's verson...Rikiar looks like an ogre to me ^.^Wink until I read about the class system. I had started out as a Darju then switched to Eolai for the ecology bonus and the coordination help.

Mickey--
I saw one Darju girl that had herself altered to have swivel ears and a tail. It made me do a double take. I didn't see Darju as being cat-like at all. I still don't. They just have stripes.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:09 am    Post subject:

Dante wrote:
I have to agree, though I think it's a pretty stupid reason not to play one. More, though, I think People don't play Alteri simply because they are a bit foreign looking, as in not really human. The three dominant races player population wise are all very similar to humans.

I don't play one because the cybernetic jaw thing would look weird on an Alteri. Their mouths are too small.
 Back to top »
Renian
Darkness Incarnate

Post Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:26 am    Post subject:

Dante wrote:
Well, first of all there IS no trait that gives you a vitality training bonus (for whatever reason...I checked too).

Shocked Embarassed

I guess I just assumed that there was because all the other stats were there. Though it makes sense: Vitality is very useful and in combination with Robust it would be a wee bit crazy.
 Back to top »
HR-Faith
OCD Grammar Perfectionist

Post Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:27 am    Post subject:

Kit wrote:
Mickey--
I saw one Darju girl that had herself altered to have swivel ears and a tail. It made me do a double take. I didn't see Darju as being cat-like at all. I still don't. They just have stripes.

Aelae did NOT do that one, but she is plastic surgery and will not step over into genetics/mutations/grafting of body parts/etc.. She will assume, if she ever sees the person you are talking about, that they were a (victim? willing participant?) of a gene-splicing experiment gone haywire. <g>

While something like that doesn't fall under what a Darju (or insert other race here) naturally looks like, do remember that we:

1) Have plastic surgery, which can account for some alterations
2. Have tattooing, which can account for more alterations.
3. Have genetics and mutations, which can account for even more of these things.

Cheers.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." -- Bilbo Baggins --
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:47 am    Post subject:

Kit, from the other thread wrote:
I'm thinking of player created drama in the game. And where most conflicts come from...and that's sex. Alteri just are not appealing to look at. It's a realistic estimation of why there are not a lot of Alteri.

Alteri can be rather sexy according to other Alteri, I'm sure. So I'm quite sure Alteri have sex appeal.

Saying that people play Eolai for supposed 'sex appeal' is basing it on the fact that they the players find Eolai sexy, not because Eolai are sexy.

I'm quite sure if Dante (the character, not the player of) was asked if he found Kit (the character, not the player of) sexy according to Jaddan standards, there is a good chance Dante would be curious as to what could possibly be found sexy in said character.
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:59 am    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
there is a good chance Dante would be curious as to what could possibly be found sexy in said character.

Big bald heads!

To make a long story short, don't tell it.

I may be going nowhere, but I'm going nowhere fast.
---
Kelvin Watt says, "I stopped drinking coke when no longer drinking beer didn't make my gut disappear."
---
Kaelin Rae says, "Wait a minute..."
Kaelin Rae says, "You mean they have a COKE machine that dispenses beer."
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
Kaelin Rae says, "Greaser."
Kaelin Rae looks at you and sighs.
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:01 am    Post subject:

I want to learn about alterian sexual tastes, heh.
Tugor
Orgasm Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:30 am    Post subject:

As in RL, in game we can do as Faith said, get alterations, tattoos etc. for individuality. The general ways of the races and such are dictated by the GM's but we aren't required to abide by them, we have that freedom of choice.

By the way, Tshar is proud to be Alteri(well he will be again once I reallocate him back, was doing a few stat comparisons with alot of the races at high levels). Thought my reasons are more for comical reasons. How funny is it to see a 4' tall Alteri Trooper that can kick ass.
Kit

Post Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:41 am    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
Kit, from the other thread wrote:
I'm thinking of player created drama in the game. And where most conflicts come from...and that's sex. Alteri just are not appealing to look at. It's a realistic estimation of why there are not a lot of Alteri.

Saying that people play Eolai for supposed 'sex appeal' is basing it on the fact that they the players find Eolai sexy, not because Eolai are sexy.

I'm quite sure if Dante (the character, not the player of) was asked if he found Kit (the character, not the player of) sexy according to Jaddan standards, there is a good chance Dante would be curious as to what could possibly be found sexy in said character.

Kit looks a lot like Tanis, or did until I changed his hair and his eyes, and since Dante found Tanis attractive, he most likely would find Kit attractive.

That said, I AM speaking from a player perspective. Afterall, characters don't chose for themselves which race to be. The PLAYER needs to sit down and look at the races and decide. And for humans, Alteri don't really have that much sex appeal -- speaking generally. In a fantasy game, most players want to be physically fit and beautiful.
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:06 am    Post subject:

Kit wrote:
In a fantasy game, most players want to be physically fit and beautiful.

which is sad.
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:48 am    Post subject:

How can you not find Humans sexy after that? It's more of a rhetorical question, I suppose, since noone's said anything bad about humans.

--William

PS: Stupid white splashingness.

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
Kit

Post Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:19 am    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
Kit wrote:
In a fantasy game, most players want to be physically fit and beautiful.

which is sad.

I agree, even if I'm guilty of it. Though in DR I played an old, fairly ugly man...I suppose I just wanted a change for the norms with Kit. When he becomes a human, I think I can have a bit more fun with him....he's getting a little feminine looking for me.
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Role-playing & Socialization » General Racial discussions
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: