Racism is Dead
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Eolai » Racism is Dead
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haidee
Bow chicka bow wow

Post Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:42 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I guess there's always one or two not the norm in a race, like I consider Inaira to be.

The point I'm trying to bring up is that currently the norm of Eolai is to be accepting and loving of all the other races. The minority is the people who are actually racist or dislike any other races in any sort of way. I agree, there should be the few who go against the norm so that we aren't all molds of the same Eolai, but we need to switch the normal behavior of Eolai.
Inside an intricately beaded twilight black suede corset with hot pink lacings you see a buttery nipple, a buttery nipple, a steaming pile of gamojab poop, a speckled red crab, a chocolate chip brownie, a map of Haelrahv, a huge blonde hair ball, a severed Haidee head, and your boobs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nivza
Singing Darju Wino!

Post Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject: Racism!

I'm not racist... I hate everyone equally Wink Seriously though I have noticed this too, or Darju with non Darju.. hell if it's the dudes mane that's supposed to get us all hot and bothered it makes no sense of them to be with an alteri or jadden *grin* Niv is basically tolerant of everyone unless she's irritated. Best way to tell is she'll start calling people "little hairless gamojab techinician" and such *grin* usually only in Darju, she edits it to little techinician person in common *chuckle* Niv hates being around people, which is why she's so seldom seen in town, she's usually off foraging or working on her music solo. the chatter of people around her tends to irritate her. She has friends per se but sees them more as people who she can handle being around so by default with that wierd urge for others people company comes up she hunts them out and down. I'm all for racism, I try to play Niv's race in my own small quiet way.
Brenton
/fidget

Post Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject:

Haidee wrote:
On top of all of that, and I'm sure that Eolai would consider Jaddan disgusting looking as well as very dim witted. But, eh...love triumphs over all, hmm. Wink

I don't think they'd find them necessarily ugly....remember most of our characters have all grown up around the other races...the only reason we, the players probably can't see much beauty in them is because they're so foreign.
winddancer
Hah! In your dreams, bub!

Post Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The minority is the people who are actually racist or dislike any other races in any sort of way. I agree, there should be the few who go against the norm so that we aren't all molds of the same Eolai, but we need to switch the normal behavior of Eolai.

I disagree with your perspective on what is normal. Our racism is more subtle and harder to combat (the kind that Belethe is unaware she has.)

I agree racism is the norm for an Eolai, but there are different kinds of racism, and it seems like what you're describing is something that does not fit in with the kind of explanation given about the Eolai race when it comes to interaction with other races.

Based on the text explaining the Eolai race on the main page, I do not believe that we would consider members of another race "disgusting" nor would we NORMALLY form a natural dislike against other races.

I don't see the norm of Eolai as being overtly racist as in being deliberately mean, rude or hostile to other races. So I'm a bit confused by what you believe is the NORM of Eolai, because if you're talking about us treating other races as offal beneath our feet, I think you're wrong. I don't believe that's the norm.

Case in point:
"An Eolai believes that he has a special responsibility to take care of the other races as humans take care of animals they keep as pets."

I don't see Eolai considering other races disgusting. I see them as being more condescending to and indulgent of people from other races. We would consider other races people we'd take care of.

IN TERMS OF MARRIAGE:
What I CAN see happening is a normal Eolai would treat the Eolai who married or formed a loving, equal relationship with a member of another race as being something along the lines of a pervert.

The non-Eolai spouse would be seen as the innocent, "dumb" victim who had been oppressed by the superior Eolai. Pet abuse. We don't blame the non-Eolai. Clearly it's the Eolai who is sick and perverted.

I would see normal Eolai be more likely to treat that Eolai in a hostile manner, but we would be more likely to pity the non-eolai as the abused pet, since they are clearly not intelligent and not able to think for oneself well. We'd probably try to rescue the non-Eolai from the clutches of a depraved being.

However, actually being racist in the general stereotypical term such as treating other races like people we'd cross the street to avoid or spitting in their faces because they're lower-order scum... NO. That is not what I view as "The Norm" of Eolai.

Eolai is NOT white-trash, redneck stereotypical racists. If this is what you view as the norm, then I'm going to say outright....I believe you're absolutely wrong.

What I believe IS the norm is that we have a sense of calm superiority that while we do not openly insult other races, our serenely superior attitudes towards them would grate on other races. Not because we called them disgusting, but because we would pet them on their heads and say "Good boy, you did good. Here, have a treat" (which is how I'm playing Bell for certain instances, except that she's more accepting of inter-racial marriages, though she would NEVER imagine herself marrying or falling in love with someone of another race....not at this point. She's not that enlightened.)

So if you're playing a redneck, white trash racist, you wouldn't be the "norm" either. You're on the other extreme of Eolai.

Belethe

p.s. I should add "NYAAAAAAAAAAA" *raspberries* so you know this post, while serious in explaining my opinion on what is "normal" eolai behavior, is in no way being personally mocking or insulting to any or all people who may suddenly feel like I'm saying they're stupidheads. Razz

This has been my opinion. Just because I think I am right (and obviously, I AM because I'm naturally smarter), doesn't mean what I say actually is right (eventhough, it IS, of course, right.) This is what I call a discussion of views. Where all views are taken into account (but obviously discounted since I'm always right...)
 Back to top »
HR-Hunter

Post Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:03 am    Post subject:

Isotai (Eolaish): Profanity, mainly insulting to other Eolai, means "not of the Eolai race" or "not Eolaish".
Rolling Eyes
Haidee
Bow chicka bow wow

Post Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:44 am    Post subject:

I'd just like to point out that all of my above comments were just my take on how I personally think of Eolai racism, not necessarily the "correct" way (if there even is a correct way). And Belethe, it's been GREAT to hear your views on it.

Quote:
I don't see the norm of Eolai as being overtly racist as in being deliberately mean, rude or hostile to other races. So I'm a bit confused by what you believe is the NORM of Eolai, because if you're talking about us treating other races as offal beneath our feet, I think you're wrong. I don't believe that's the norm.

I understand how I could come off as that. I personally find it a bit difficult to put things I think into my head into words and describe things the way I know I think them. (If that even makes sense, which just proves my point.)

I don't know if you've seen Haidee RP, but she's, in general, a friendly person. On occasion a few slightly racist comments will slip out (but she means it in the best way). The only time she's really gone into racist mode is when she's being verbally or physically attacked by someone of another race. But I think the most racist thing she's said out loud was probably along the lines of: Haidee Idia-Anari says, "Well you can't HELP that you're inferior."

But I know her and some other people have discussed the inferiority of the other races IG, but we made sure to do it Eolaish. And as some other people have pointed out, out of the few people Haidee has killed, all of them have been human. I admit it's slightly coincidence, because a couple of them I didn't even notice the race.

So I totally agree with you that the racism should be more subtle rather then blatant, or at least the norm of it.

Quote:
IN TERMS OF MARRIAGE:
<stuff>

Okay, I really like your ideas on marriage...really. I don't know what to say other then I really like that take on it and that's probably how I'm going to apply Haidee's views.

Although I have taken one (of probably many) artistic liberty. Haidee always has exceptions to the rules of her racism, assuming that she knows best when to be racist and when to not. She's not racist against Mellie in any way, though I'm sure she probably thinks her dad is the smarter one out of the family. But I don't think that would be very good if she went around bashing her mom. Wink Another thing is she basically picks and chooses what people she'll sort of allow to be in a relationship with other races; what she'll let slide, pretty much as long as they don't marry. So while she won't even speak to Dixie any more, she's still really good friends with Brenton.

Quote:
Eolai is NOT white-trash, redneck stereotypical racists.

Curse you! You foiled my plot to make all Eolai have trailers right next to Aesal and mine because I said it was the "norm". I'll get you yet, Belethe! *shakes fist*
Inside an intricately beaded twilight black suede corset with hot pink lacings you see a buttery nipple, a buttery nipple, a steaming pile of gamojab poop, a speckled red crab, a chocolate chip brownie, a map of Haelrahv, a huge blonde hair ball, a severed Haidee head, and your boobs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
winddancer
Hah! In your dreams, bub!

Post Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:31 am    Post subject:

Haidee wrote:
Curse you! You foiled my plot to make all Eolai have trailers right next to Aesal and mine because I said it was the "norm". I'll get you yet, Belethe! *shakes fist*

::smug:: I saw through your dastardly plot instantly.

NYA!

Bell

p.s. Had to edit it a few times though because it sounded so serious and I was afraid it may sound like I was targetting you specifically when I used your quote to sound off on the thread in general as well as the behavior of some Eolai characters in the game. Though admittedly, the use of "norm" threw me off the scent for an hour or so and I wasn't sure whether you were serious about that or not.
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:34 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Eolai is NOT white-trash, redneck stereotypical racists. If this is what you view as the norm, then I'm going to say outright....I believe you're absolutely wrong.

You lie. Brenton is Eolai, and he's as close to the norm as you can get.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
Haidee
Bow chicka bow wow

Post Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:27 pm    Post subject:

Don't worry.

1) I don't get offended easily and if I do I get over it
2) A little opposition is good Wink
 Back to top »
Rilas

Post Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject:

I seriously can't resist replying to this..
Alteri are the mushroom folk, who if they should stand still too long, we'd mistake them for stuff to put in soup and serve over a nice steak. THe flea-bags ( Darju), uglies (Jaddan) and the Humans; they don't have a name yet, aren't much better. Personally i feel it is our job as the far superior race, to guide these poor miscreants, who tend to breed with anything that has legs, and help them to understand their place. All that Rilasism aside, I would think that such a race who thinks as an Eolai are supposed to could have the compassionate side to them, where they treat them like children and patronize them, maybe even feel the need to take care of them. On the other side of the hateland spectrum there's people like Rilas, who after such a brief amount of time alive; I imagine 80 years is a blink for an Eolai, he's found that they all truly are an ugly, ignorant set of mortals. There are some good ones, but surely their ancestors must have kidnapped or seduced an Eolai after drugging them or getting them drunk to be that way.

Enough of my babble.. i have to go look more handsome than i already do.
Twisted Evil
HR-Morrigan

Post Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I imagine 80 years is a blink for an Eolai

Seasons != years Smile

80 years old is still getting up there even for an Eolai.

Morrigan Blackfury
 Back to top »
Dante
Boi Toi

Post Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject:

HR-Morrigan wrote:
Quote:
I imagine 80 years is a blink for an Eolai

Seasons != years Smile

80 years old is still getting up there even for an Eolai.

But not for a Jaddan. Wink
Rilas

Post Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:03 am    Post subject:

ok well first off, when I looked at me, it says i'm very young for an Eol, and secondly i'm seriously enjoyin this. The only problem i'm having so far is i have no idea what to reference any other the rl remarks i've heard with to make them more ic; like my dogs and cockroaches comment lastnight. The kool part is when you're goin at someone and they know you're doing it for fun and you're both laughin your arse off about it on like aim or yahoo, while everyone else is furious and wanting to rip your head off; that's when you know you're rp'in it right.

Go Eolai pride! Twisted Evil
HR-Faith
OCD Grammar Perfectionist

Post Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:15 pm    Post subject:

Rilas wrote:
ok well first off, when I looked at me, it says i'm very young for an Eol, and secondly i'm seriously enjoyin this. The only problem i'm having so far is i have no idea what to reference any other the rl remarks i've heard with to make them more ic; like my dogs and cockroaches comment lastnight. The kool part is when you're goin at someone and they know you're doing it for fun and you're both laughin your arse off about it on like aim or yahoo, while everyone else is furious and wanting to rip your head off; that's when you know you're rp'in it right.

Go Eolai pride! Twisted Evil

Just a comment:

That means 80 seasons, not years. 4 seasons in a year, so you are basically 20 years old.

Continue the racial discussion!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." -- Bilbo Baggins --
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:58 pm    Post subject:

But there are eight seasons in one Haelrahvian year, right? Effectively making him 10 years old. Har.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Eolai » Racism is Dead
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: