FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Brokering and commision/tipping.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Player-Created Polls » Brokering and commision/tipping.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

You ask a bureaucrat to broker for you and--
A bureaucrat agrees to broker 1000 units for $12000. In return for brokering they will keep $2000. Do you agree to this? (please type yes or no)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
A bureaucrat agrees to broker 1000 units for $12000. If you would like to place a tip please enter a percentage now. (please type a number between 0 and 100- (say person entered 10)) You are considering paying a bureaucrat $1200 for their services. Yes/No
45%
 45%  [ 11 ]
Leave the system as it is. I don't want any reminders about tipping.
54%
 54%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 24

fatboy

Post Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:24 am    Post subject:

Would it be possible to make Tarevo able to broker? You could have him take an automatic 10-20% tip out. This would do a couple of things for players.

1) It would allow players to broker when no brokers are around or are too busy to come broker for them.

2) It might influence brokers to be available for players more often. either they could get some XP and a tip, or Tarevo can get the tip.

3) It would keep the market from crashing quickly and at the same time take some cash out of the players hands.

I know I'm new to the game, and the experiences I have had with brokers have been enjoyable. In fact, when I have tipped, the broker gave me the money back and then hid. They told me they would accept my tips when I was older. From now on, I will tip anyone who brokers with me 10%. I hope you will keep my tip. If you just made me 28k and I tip you, I obviously have the $2800 to spare. So please, keep it!

Does the Tarevo idea put a bad taste in brokers mouths?
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:35 am    Post subject:

To tell you the truth, I personally am glad when people don't broker some, because I don't think brokering should be considered necessary. It's a perk, it fetches you more money but the market should crash or at least dip, sometimes.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Dante
Boi Toi

Post Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:30 am    Post subject:

I'm probably jaded on tipping/player services stuff from being an Empath secondary, but anyhow...

The thing with brokering is that they are providing an optional service to you. They don't HAVE to do it. Therefore, i don't think that a Bureaucrat should take time out of their day to just help someone who wants to sell off all their foraged stuff if they are already busy, not in the mood to do it, don't like you, are utilizing an Inn room with someone else, etc. The fact that they don't have to do this for anyone and they still do regardless is why I tip the person that brokered for me.

That said, if I'm ever overflowing with commodities (I usually store them in a bag in my vault if I'm collecting them) and I can't find a broker, I would probably just sell them myself if I desperately needed to be rid of them. The market right now is kind of broken in my eyes, since almost everything seems to perpetually stay at 10.00 per unit. A little variety is good. Smile
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:57 am    Post subject:

Keep in mind however, some Bureaucrats also make a big point to publicize the merits of brokering. Additionally, players have been known to kill players who don't broker. Neither are issues that applied to DR/empaths of course.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Tylen
Alpha Antifemale

Post Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:53 pm    Post subject:

Lertig wrote:

If Terevo could broker, that would pretty much ruin the whole concept of the market being able to fluctuate. The only time it would crash would be when someone did it purposefully.
** The phrase "break a leg" just wasn't ambitious enough for Mellie Knight. [8:31 pm]
** Mellie Knight was soundly defeated by Aesal Anari-Idia in the Zgedhi Gkenrzeg Rav! [8:31 pm]
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:52 pm    Post subject:

Tylen wrote:
Lertig wrote:

If Terevo could broker, that would pretty much ruin the whole concept of the market being able to fluctuate. The only time it would crash would be when someone did it purposefully.

And what's wrong with crashing on purpose? People can make a nice chunk of change killing a commod, buying a ton of it, then waiting for it to rise again.
Tylen
Alpha Antifemale

Post Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:36 pm    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
And what's wrong with crashing on purpose? People can make a nice chunk of change killing a commod, buying a ton of it, then waiting for it to rise again.

I didn't anything bad about crashing the market purposefully.
** The phrase "break a leg" just wasn't ambitious enough for Mellie Knight. [8:31 pm]
** Mellie Knight was soundly defeated by Aesal Anari-Idia in the Zgedhi Gkenrzeg Rav! [8:31 pm]
 Back to top »
Kelasa

Post Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:56 pm    Post subject:

Ya know... just because we show active on the who full, doesn't mean we are. I tend to fill Kelasa's mind and drift off, check boards, try to find stuff I'm trying to download online, watching Anime i've been downloading for days... I have a script I use AFK that goes off every few minutes to check my experiance, which prevents me from going idle but since I gain no new experiance or money is not against policy, if my mind is empty it then logs me out.

Also at the time that you were talking about I had commented something about usually helps to know when someone needs a broker if my comm was on, over the comm, and from the point I turned on my comm to 5-10 minutes later when Belethe showed up you hadn't said a word about needing a broker.
fatboy

Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:26 am    Post subject:

I wasn't complaining! It looked like people wanted ideas and I just threw one in there Confused Like I said, I've been happy the times I've dealt with a broker. I was just coming up with an idea.
 Back to top »
jade
Soldier of the '?'th Century

Post Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:08 am    Post subject: thoughts

as a soldier, i do what i do of duty, and seek neither recognition nor compensation. keeping things right is what gives me contentment.

when it comes to professions for which a true service is being performed over and over, or objects are being created for others as a job, im not sure what to think. there is some reward already in those professions doing those tasks. medics, bureaucrats, artisans get experience for performing those actions, just as i do for hunting.

in the case of the bureaucrat, i can sense the tendency for avarice to kick in. its no different from politics. ill consider tipping on large sales, provided the bureaucrat will accept it. i know that at least one bureaucrat expects to be tipped.

for artisans, well .. normally, its difficult to make a living off art alone (seth has been way ahead of the pack by forthrightly advertising through comm, a good reputation and word-of-mouth.). as with a waitress, id tip them if i used their services, particularly if the finished product was of good workmanship (by the way, waitresses where i live make around 8,13 an hour excluding tips. its not always a starvation job).

medics have always refused me tipping them, which makes me proud of them. they seem to do what they do because of duty as well. its good when that can be the case.

You say, "For all, temperance."
You say, "But justice is worthy for its own sake."
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Tylen
Alpha Antifemale

Post Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: thoughts

jade wrote:
as a soldier, i do what i do of duty, and seek neither recognition nor compensation. keeping things right is what gives me contentment.

That's well and great for you as a soldier. Although I'm not sure how you could legitimately expect to be compensated for any of your current abilities even if you wanted to.

jade wrote:
when it comes to professions for which a true service is being performed over and over, or objects are being created for others as a job, im not sure what to think. there is some reward already in those professions doing those tasks. medics, bureaucrats, artisans get experience for performing those actions, just as i do for hunting.

Personally I think compensation for all services (not just those provided by Bureaucrats) should be determined by those providing the services. Tipping is then optional beyond that.

jade wrote:
in the case of the bureaucrat, i can sense the tendency for avarice to kick in. its no different from politics. ill consider tipping on large sales, provided the bureaucrat will accept it. i know that at least one bureaucrat expects to be tipped.

Avarice? And people wonder why I won't broker for the public.
 Back to top »
winddancer
Hah! In your dreams, bub!

Post Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:46 am    Post subject:

Hmm. I'm not sure if you're posting from a player perspective or a character one. It sounds partially IC but since the whole thread has been ooc based in the first place, I'm going to treat it as the former.

Well, everyone's entitled to their own opinion about their own profession as well as others. Fair enough.

I definitely don't happen to agree that all bureaucrats are supposed to offer their services for the sake of duty alone. For that matter, I don't believe ANY profession should be expected to be charitable and be happy with gaining exp alone. This was one of the problems faced by Empaths in DR that I've always disliked even as a non-empath player.

I want our players to have viable options without facing abuse, harassment and violence.

I'm not sure what gives anyone the idea that the Bureaucrat profession is MEANT to do activities for the good of others. Honestly, I find it odd that anyone would expect all bureaucrats to do anything for free.

Depending on the kind of social environment (province, political structure, etc.) they're in, I expect different kinds of RP. It's not beyond the scope of imagination to see some bureaucrats giving all up for their community...as well as bureaucrats working for profit.

My character isn't going to be one who does something for nothing. It's not in her nature to belittle her talents thusly.

Also, I wonder, at times, whether some people take the sense of our close gaming community too far to the point that RP is not really respected. That if you aren't doing something nice for everyone, then you're scum.

It's just something I wonder at times...

Belethe's player
 Back to top »
Tylen
Alpha Antifemale

Post Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject:

winddancer wrote:
Also, I wonder, at times, whether some people take the sense of our close gaming community too far to the point that RP is not really respected. That if you aren't doing something nice for everyone, then you're scum.

It's just something I wonder at times...

Belethe's player

I would say that's part of the problem. People think if you expect to be paid for something, you're either greedy or 'not nice.'
 Back to top »
Tao

Post Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject:

Trevor wrote:
Keep in mind however, some Bureaucrats also make a big point to publicize the merits of brokering. Additionally, players have been known to kill players who don't broker. Neither are issues that applied to DR/empaths of course.

LOL. I remember those days when there was a witch hunt on people who werent using a bureacrat to broker their stuff. Ahhhh...good times.

I believe a person should tip for services rendered. Does always have to be money? No, not unless you're trying to get a big load of stuff brokered. Getting a crat to broker for your big load saves you alot big time than doing it yourself. If ya dont wanna give up your money tipping, do what Haidee did, hook up with a crat. Only tip needed there is sweet loving. Heh. Joking. There are other ways you can tip a crat, like Belethe pointed out, bring wood for a campfire, potions, food, etc.

Hugs and smoochies from the ladies and handshakes or bows from the guys is what Thorne usually takes for tips when he provides his tech services. Ya gotta be quick and sneaky to get money past him.

Ashes2Ashes wrote:
Repeatedly begging on the comm for a broker for over an hour, and all three bureaucrats visible IG (profession showing) via FIND ignored me (non of whom were afk according to WHO FULL). Now I know 10-20% isn't incredible, but it's decent (IMO) for maybe 10-15 seconds of a broker's time, and it is what I usually tip. I was at the point that I had NO more room...and was about ready to crash the market which would have angered a lot of people.

Yes, that can be a pain, but what is also a pain is when a bureaucrat or technician announces that they are as you can say "On Duty" at the moment but nobody comes or says anything that they are coming. Not long after leaving to do other things, there is someone crying for their services. And it gets really annoying when they do go back and announce again that they are around to provide their services yet that certain person doesnt come or say that they needed their service until the bureaucrat/tech goes back to do other things. It's like Peter crying wolf.
jade
Soldier of the '?'th Century

Post Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:32 am    Post subject: hah!

^_~ actually, aesal, you just offered most of what id implied in my post. thanks for doing that; id been waiting for someone to. the part regarding avarice was in satire. not all public servants are driven by it, either in real life or within hael. belethe, for example, and you, do lots to help others just for that sake.

second, the only ability soldiers have right now is to defend, and i agree, that it is exactly in the right mindset for a soldier to expect no compensation.

third, if the one providing the service were allowed to decide that theyd recieve some extra payment, id like to see a check in place, so that abuses cannot be made of that option.

You say, "For all, temperance."
You say, "But justice is worthy for its own sake."
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Player-Created Polls » Brokering and commision/tipping.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: