FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Can't "perform" (har har)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Performers » Can't "perform" (har har)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SIMU-Sux

Post Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:57 am    Post subject: Can't "perform" (har har)

So, I created a performer thinking they'd be a good RP opportunity, what with their uniqueness and apparent rarity throughout the game. I think I figured out why nobody wants to be one:

The process of learning spellsongs is atrocious.

This is what I don't understand. Why can one go off and learn any other spell (to my knowledge) with nothing more than about a minute of roundtime and then be done with it, yet spellsongs are so vastly different? I don't see anything in any of the spellsongs that justifies having to spend 40 seconds in RT to learn 5% of a spellsong. This would be eased a bit if the timer between studying was lessened; however, I'm sitting here approximately 15-20 minutes after my last study and I still can't study it again yet.

Is this an oversight on someone's part or is this intentionally made difficult? I just don't see how the ability to improve my dancing warrants the excruciatingly painful process of having to "study" the scroll first.
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:07 am    Post subject:

Spellsongs just work differently. In fact, they work like alchemy. You have no 'slots' like spells/psi, but you have minimum skill reqs for each spellsong/formula. There are ways to speed up learning, such as training intellect, and the more spellsongs you learn the faster it becomes to learn the next.

Believe me, while performers are generally an underplayed class it isn't because of how long it takes to learn spellsongs. People just don't realize how versatile and powerful they are. Performers can raise almost any skill, improve their ability to find treasure, teleport their group, haste/speed up the group, cause fear, increase hp/sp/fp regen, lure monsters, provoke monsters to attack people, I mean the list goes on and on.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:18 am    Post subject:

If ever I were going to use the term "bling bling", now would be it.

To make a long story short, don't tell it.

I may be going nowhere, but I'm going nowhere fast.
---
Kelvin Watt says, "I stopped drinking coke when no longer drinking beer didn't make my gut disappear."
---
Kaelin Rae says, "Wait a minute..."
Kaelin Rae says, "You mean they have a COKE machine that dispenses beer."
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
Kaelin Rae says, "Greaser."
Kaelin Rae looks at you and sighs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SIMU-Sux

Post Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:24 am    Post subject:

Quote:
There are ways to speed up learning, such as training intellect, and the more spellsongs you learn the faster it becomes to learn the next.

Part of the reason I may be having trouble is because for RP purposes I picked an Alteri. I figured they'd be smart, but to my surprise I started out with a 3 in intelligence. Sad

The "learning more spellsongs = faster rate of learning" was the first I read that anywhere, so that's a little reassuring -- assuming I can plod through the first few scrolls. I also didn't know songs don't take up slots like spells do, so I see the trade-off in a bit of a different light now.

I blame the lack of documentation for having those revelations btw. (Even went to a couple player sites and didn't see anything.) Surprised
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject:

Here's a player site, but it's really out of date:

http://sky.prohosting.com/nivzahr/

I'm not sure if it will be more helpful than what info you have now, but there you go. Smile

Back to top »
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 11:04 am    Post subject:

SIMU-Sucks wrote:
Part of the reason I may be having trouble is because for RP purposes I picked an Alteri. I figured they'd be smart, but to my surprise I started out with a 3 in intelligence.

Base stats actually depend on the profession you chose. Alteri do get -1 to int. and ment., so they are the smartest race.

Help profession 9 will give you some info about performers, if you haven't read it already.
 Back to top »
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 11:05 am    Post subject:

Starting stats are based on the chosen profession itself, actually (see here). The 3 intellect might be painful (albeit easily-remedied as an Alteri, with your decreased point cost) when it comes to trying to learn spellsongs in a hurry, but you've got a high-end starter charisma to begin and a small headstart on other vital stats (like coordination, for keeping your instruments tuned).

Additionally, both a blessing and a curse, pauses in what you're able to pick up at each level are few and far in between. Figuratively, this means you'll reach your full measure before most of the other professions; on the other hand, all you've got to look forward to afterward is improving what you've acquired.

Edit: And while Performers are arguably "weak" starting out at lower levels, players willing to stick it out find out later that Performers really come into their own.

---
Kelvin Watt says, "I stopped drinking coke when no longer drinking beer didn't make my gut disappear."
---
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 2:53 pm    Post subject:

If I didn't want to play as an Artisan, I'd be playing as a Performer.

They really can boost a lot of things.
 Back to top »
Haidee
Bow chicka bow wow

Post Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
And while Performers are arguably "weak" starting out at lower levels, players willing to stick it out find out later that Performers really come into their own.

Yeah, I mean, even though I couldn't fight my way out of a paper bag I can still keep you from getting a hit (spell or weapon-wise) off of me. Laughing
Inside an intricately beaded twilight black suede corset with hot pink lacings you see a buttery nipple, a buttery nipple, a steaming pile of gamojab poop, a speckled red crab, a chocolate chip brownie, a map of Haelrahv, a huge blonde hair ball, a severed Haidee head, and your boobs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
SIMU-Sux

Post Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:53 am    Post subject:

Quote:
You have no 'slots' like spells/psi, but you have minimum skill reqs for each spellsong/formula.

Now I'm confused. I took that to mean that I could learn any number of spellsongs at a time, provided I met the skill requirements. However, I've now got three spellsongs and it won't let me study anymore, despite meeting the skill reqs for them. If I would've known they do have slot-like properties I probably would've been a bit more careful in my selections. Oh well.

Still makes me sad. Crying or Very sad
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:51 am    Post subject:

SIMU-Sux wrote:
Quote:
You have no 'slots' like spells/psi, but you have minimum skill reqs for each spellsong/formula.

Now I'm confused. I took that to mean that I could learn any number of spellsongs at a time, provided I met the skill requirements. However, I've now got three spellsongs and it won't let me study anymore, despite meeting the skill reqs for them. If I would've known they do have slot-like properties I probably would've been a bit more careful in my selections. Oh well.

Still makes me sad. Crying or Very sad

Spellsongs work like alchemy.

In alchemy, each formula has a specific requirement needed to learn it.

Thus, a few formulas can be known, theoretically, with only 30 in a skill.

Spellsongs work the same way.

This is different than spells or psionic abilities, which require 8 spell research/occult lore to learn one.
 Back to top »
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:03 am    Post subject:

There are actually five spellsongs you're able to learn at first level, assuming you meet the skill requirements when you try.

---
---
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:08 am    Post subject:

I think where the confusing is coming in is that you can only learn one spellsong at a time. However, it doesn't take anywhere near a level to learn a song. ;D

Once you finish learning your current one, you can learn the next one you have skill for immediately.

Back to top »
Brenton
/fidget

Post Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:37 pm    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
If I didn't want to play as an Artisan, I'd be playing as a Performer.

They really can boost a lot of things.

Same here, Zamde and Haidee make it look like so much fun.
SIMU-Sux

Post Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:02 am    Post subject:

Yeah, I'm enjoying it. I had a stint as a Psionic when I first started; but I have a propensity to go against the majority regarding character creation, so that was fairly short-lived. I got my "omg I must be young + pretty!11!!" fix out of the way early on. Surprised

On another note, is it possible to advance well enough without going into combat? I'm leaning towards a strictly performer-type path and would like to concentrate on those skills instead. But I'd like to know if I'm going to eventually run into a wall going this route (i.e. does foraging ever drop off in regards to teaching, etc.).
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Performers » Can't "perform" (har har)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: