FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Questions from a new Artisan
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Crafting & Trades » Questions from a new Artisan
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xeiesa

Post Posted: Fri May 14, 2004 1:37 pm    Post subject: Questions from a new Artisan

First of all, I'm pretty new to the game, so I may ask a few well-known questions. I swear I've scoured the boards for answers, though! Thanks to Rich for pointing me to the game; I've been really enjoying myself.

Anyway, my questions, in no particular order:

1. Is there a pottery/crafting counter (as there was for forging in DR)? I've been throwing a lot of forks, and I've noticed that, while mostly I get low-end work (shoddy, gnarled, etc.), occasionally I will hit something like mediocre or middling. Am I just getting lucky?

2. Does paint ever run out? I know glaze does, but looking at the paint doesn't give me any "it is half-full" type message.

3. Is there anywhere else to work with clay other than the art center in Llanfair?

4. How come you only have to fire clay items once? In real life, you've gotta fire them after glazing too, otherwise you don't get the nice, shiny quality. And speaking of realism... just exactly how does one make forks on a wheel?? (It would be nice if we could make certain items anywhere.)

5. I've noticed that pottery does not exactly get my exp flying -- my friends tell me they can fill up in combat in less than 15 minutes, but I *never* fill up on pottery (I think maybe I get to the first exp level... I don't really watch though). Sculpting is my favorite thing to do, so it saddens me that I, as an Artisan, still can't really learn well from it. Does anybody have suggestions for how to gain exp well out of combat?

Finally, I have a suggestion. I think that throwing pots should really get us dirty:

You see Xeiesa Ceii, an Alteri.
She has inky black eyes and a pale gray complexion.
Upon her lips, she has mandarin orange lipstick.
She has an oval face and lightly speckled skin.
Her hands are covered in goopy wet clay.
She has an average build.

>
Xeiesa Ceii shakes your hand, getting slimy clay goop all over you!
>
Xeiesa Ceii smiles.
>
Xeiesa Ceii says, "Buy my forks!"
>

Hehe. Okay, that is all. Sorry for the long post.

- Xeiesa Ceii -
Maker of Forks
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
HR-Hunter

Post Posted: Fri May 14, 2004 2:00 pm    Post subject:

I'll leave most of your questions for Arden since she's artisan guru, but I'll answer #5 for you.

Unlike DR, having your mind be more full doesn't make it absorb more quickly. Gaining a little exp to keep a pittance in your pool, or amassing tons of EXP that overflows from your pool, both absorb at the same rate.

Combat does teach more, assuming you're hunting at level, because of the risks involved, but as long as your gaining EXP the only thing you lose by gaining it slowly is the drain-time for sitting around doing nothing.

Another factor that effects you is that Lower level characters absorb more slowly, so while Pottery seems to barely give you any EXP, once you gain some levels and your absorbtion drops to the "average" level, it won't seem quite so slow.
SoulTorn
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet

Post Posted: Fri May 14, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Is there anywhere else to work with clay other than the art center in Llanfair?

At least one spot just recently opened up. Kind of hard to get into and also a (minor) puzzle.

Tip for experience pool checking: If you're using the Wizard, switch to GemStone mode. Once in there, click on "Window" menu, then "Graphic Controls". Make certain "Mind" has a check by it. This will give you a (fairly) accurate experience 'gauge'.

I do believe I've used up my daily allotment of quotation marks. Razz

Realism schmealism.

-Chris
senseandviolets

Post Posted: Fri May 14, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject:

Hi there Xeiesa, glad to have a new and dedicated Artisan aboard!

1. I *think* you just sometimes get lucky. Just for a gauge at what rate your consistent good work will increase--level 100 is the goal set for the "best" pottery. I personally enjoy some of the quarkier low level adjectives such as "peculiar," the random factor really is fun. :]

2. Yes, paint does run out. Eventaully water will get dirty and need to be replaced as well, but that's not implimented yet.

3. I haven't found the new place Soul Torn mentioned--Hint pwease? Other then the pottery center in Llanfair there is a broken down pottery wheel on the Isle of Mist that I don't recomend using (the room has a negetive bonus applied to pottery). I just dont believe there's enough demand to merit the other cities building pottery centers yet.

4. I'm glad we only have to fire them once, sure it's less realistic but umm... pottery already takes much longer than many other of the crafting systems as it is. I believe it's a case of sacrificing realism for playability. I do however agree that I feel very silly making certain items such as forks on the pottery wheel, but at one point Arden asked us for suggestions on things we'd like to be able to sculpt and added many (if not all) of them onto the list--I hope in live we will be able to truly "sculpt" certain items anywhere and save them for later firing. (On a related note, I also think tailoring certain items such as shoes, exactly the way we do shirts is a bit too unrealistic.)

5. The exp was actually adjusted on pottery once to give more--at one point it would actually let your pool drain completely while activily practicing the skill. I'd eventually like to see pottery work more like tailoring where you have to gain a certain amount of skill to be able to make certain items. Also I'd like to eventually be able to learn more or less relative to how "difficult" the task is for you--hopefully this would be reflected in the roundtimes as well. Hunting something that most likely won't but conceivably *can* kill you is the best way (for wimpy me) to gain exp with it.

I love your suggestion about pottery actually gettings us "goopy." Back when I played a race with hair I had some "unidentifable substances" cosmetically altered into it.
HR-Arden

Post Posted: Fri May 14, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject:

Layne has answered all of your questions accurately, but I'll clear up a few things about the future of pottery as it will appear in live.

• There is a bit of a random factor. I'm sure everyone has good days and bad days. Maybe your current mood should have an effect on the result. Razz

• It will work a bit more like tailoring where available projects will depend on your skill. This may mean doing away with the adjectives all together, but I'd like to know your thoughts on that.

• Realism will be more of a factor, but not to the point that you'll have to fire twice. I plan to add 'techniques' like coiling, pinching, texturing, smoothing, notching, etc. Not all things will be made on the wheel.

• I like the dirty hands idea. Smile

As for other places to do pottery... there is another area, and gaining access has something to do with the errands system. NEWS 90 for more information on that.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. -- Bilbo Baggins
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Xeiesa

Post Posted: Fri May 14, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject:

Wow, thanks for the prompt and informative responses!

Arden wrote:
It will work a bit more like tailoring where available projects will depend on your skill. This may mean doing away with the adjectives all together, but I'd like to know your thoughts on that.

Ahh, I love this plan -- just don't get rid of the adjectives! I love my maladroit spoons and bizarre casserole dishes! I bet you could make a system whereby you progress from silverware to, say, vase-land, and you must work your way from the shoddy vases to the supreme ones -- before going on to make shoddy jewelry boxes, or something.

Arden wrote:
Realism will be more of a factor, but not to the point that you'll have to fire twice. I plan to add 'techniques' like coiling, pinching, texturing, smoothing, notching, etc. Not all things will be made on the wheel.

I can understand and respect such a decision. However, firing twice may not be the nightmare you all envision. As it is, I glaze all my pottery at once, so I would just pop them all in the kiln together and fire one extra time. That doesn't seem like a big deal to me -- and it would give us the added option of "matte" or "dull" works vs. "shiny" stuff.

I do love the sound of those techniques, by the way. And yay for sculpting anywhere!

As for exp... I will keep experimenting (and try out the GS mode of the Wizard). I'm mostly just afraid that I will end up pumping skill points into something like combat and then discover some other cool system that I could have played with. I'm nervous like that.

And I'm glad you all like the goopiness idea. Next on my want list: dried clay everywhere.

- Xeiesa Ceii -
Maker of Forks
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
HR-Arden

Post Posted: Fri May 14, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject:

Xeiesa wrote:
As for exp... I will keep experimenting (and try out the GS mode of the Wizard). I'm mostly just afraid that I will end up pumping skill points into something like combat and then discover some other cool system that I could have played with. I'm nervous like that.

This being a test phase, or beta, you are entitled to three reallocations that allow you room for a bit of experimenting. Of course, it's a luxury that will be unavailable in live. This at least gives you the chance to decide what type of character works best for you. As for skill points, I always have my PC save some just in case (although the likelihood of new systems being released before live is congruent to the likelihood of a speechless asapi). Very Happy

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. -- Bilbo Baggins
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Fri May 14, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject:

But as a side note as far as skills training in live, you will be able to advance skills and skillsets by performing actions rather than a fixed number of points, so there is less concern about screwing up training.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Crafting & Trades » Questions from a new Artisan
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: