FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Profession Traits and Flaws
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » "Live" Discussions » Profession Traits and Flaws
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Sun May 02, 2004 6:25 pm    Post subject: Profession Traits and Flaws

Suppose that, in addition to standard traits and flaws as well as racial, the possibility for professional traits/flaws existed. What would you expect in a cross-section?
Note: This is no indication of what you can expect in Live; it's just something I bandied with while I was doing my best thinking, and was curious to see what kind of neat ideas you, the players, have.

Example:
Performer - Fame (trait) - +5% persuasion, higher "performance" income

... or something.

To make a long story short, don't tell it.

I may be going nowhere, but I'm going nowhere fast.
---
Kelvin Watt says, "I stopped drinking coke when no longer drinking beer didn't make my gut disappear."
---
Kaelin Rae says, "Wait a minute..."
Kaelin Rae says, "You mean they have a COKE machine that dispenses beer."
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
Kaelin Rae says, "Greaser."
Kaelin Rae looks at you and sighs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Sun May 02, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject:

Merc - Slow and Steady (trait): Increased time allotted before contract expires.
Merc - Hasty (flaw): Decreased time allotted before contract expires.

Merc - Notorious (trait): +10% payment for contracts
Merc - Sloppy Worker (flaw): -10% payment for contracts

Merc - Well Balanced (trait): +5% to defense
Merc - Negligent Trainee (flaw): -5% to weapons (making your bonus only 5%)

Merc - Judan (trait): Increased chance of knockdowns
Merc - not-good-at-knockdowns (flaw): Decreased chance of knockdowns

Merc - Eagle-Eye (trait): Increased accuracy of ranged weapons without aiming
Merc - Poor Shot (flaw): Decreased accuracy of ranged weapons without aiming
 Back to top »
Downtweak

Post Posted: Sun May 02, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Judan (trait)

Not to butt in, but I think the word you're looking for is Judoken.

And I always liked the idea of 'neutral' traits... i.e. they give more or less equal bonuses in similar areas (no +100 to evasion and -100 to appraissal).

Obvious ones are mages, psionics, and performers having bonuses to one group of spells, psi, or spellsongs respectively and penalties to the others. Categories in this case could also be offensive vs. buff or area vs. self, etc. Others could be things like:

Mercenaries: Wreckless - Increased engagement speed, but reduced maximum balance.
Troopers: Sure-Footed - Increased maximum balance, but reduced engagement speed.
Agents: Assassin - Increased damage from stealth attacks (ambush and whatever else we'll see in live), but decreased damage from non-stealth attacks.
Guardians: Gentle Arts - Reduced chance to inflict critical damage (either critical strike or instadeath), but reduced chance to have critical damage inflicted on self.

Not profession-specific:

Bionic Man - Increased essence points, but all non-cyber parts take increased damage.

I also wouldn't mind seeing something like sub-classes (eventually), which would be unique sets of bonuses and penalties that would be more RP-driven than just random traits picked by the player.

For instance:

Troopers: Officer Training - Increased Salary and Tactics Skill. Bonus to all leadership-based abilities. Reduced combat bonuses.

Code:
They hate me because I am the accumulation of the knowledge of Death.  That knowledge is a curse to them instead of a useful burden.

-Nef; From the Dust Returned
 Back to top »
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Sun May 02, 2004 9:59 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Not to butt in, but I think the word you're looking for is Judoken.

I think the word you're looking for is Judoka. Judan is the tenth degree black belt equivalent in Judo. No, I don't have this memorized, I just looked it up. Thanks for trying to be a random asshole, though.
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sun May 02, 2004 10:15 pm    Post subject:

I didn't read it as him trying to be a random asshole.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Sun May 02, 2004 10:18 pm    Post subject:

*shrugs* I took it as such because of the assumption that he knew what I was trying to say better than I did. Sorry if it wasn't meant that way.
 Back to top »
Downtweak

Post Posted: Sun May 02, 2004 11:29 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Thanks for trying to be a random asshole, though.

Any time. <asciiheart>

Code:
They hate me because I am the accumulation of the knowledge of Death.  That knowledge is a curse to them instead of a useful burden.

-Nef; From the Dust Returned
 Back to top »
HR-Arden

Post Posted: Sun May 02, 2004 11:43 pm    Post subject:

KAMINEKO WILL EAT YOU ALL!!!

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. -- Bilbo Baggins
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Sun May 02, 2004 11:58 pm    Post subject:

あ!

K, trying to stay on topic...

Guardian - Spiritual (trait): increased bonuses from meditations
Guardian - Restless (flaw): decreased bonuses from meditations

Mage/Psion - Scholar (trait): extra spell slot, bonus to research/occult lore
Mage/Psion - Poor Student (flaw): decreased spell slot, penalty to research/lore

Tracker - Ranger (trait): bonus to archery, tracking, and foraging
Tracker - Urbanite (flaw): penalty to archery, tracking, foraging
 Back to top »
Ponderer

Post Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 7:08 am    Post subject:

Let's see here, I play a medic all but exclusively, perhaps I could think of a few things:
Medics:
Flaws:
Shaky surgeon - Increased change of failure with medical equipment (increased chance of surgical error too)

Naturalist - Can't use advanced technology based medical tools. (stethescopes and tongue depressors around the house!)

Distant doctor - Unable to use massages, increased roundtime for bioscanning.

Research medic - 2 points per level maximum in surgery and first aid.

Never do harm - Can never attack another living creature.

Traits:
Deft hands - Decreased chance of failure with medical equipment and decreased chance of surgical error.

Keen diagnoser - No roundtime for bioscanning, can analyze someone without needing a bioscanner.

Minds eye - Medic gets a free psychic sight which is only usable on the dead.

Bedside manner - 30% of charisma is used toward the skill requirement to learn and use the soothing lulaby spellsong. Increased effectiveness of medics massages.

Combat medic - Increased ability to drag others, bonus with light armor.

Trait/flaw packages:
Licensed: Every healing done costs the medic money (0 credits causes him to lose this package temporarily) for insurance. All healing efforts have a reduced roundtime, all medical equipment can be purchased (with a limit) at a reduced cost, all learning from healing is doubled, a tag or badge is given to the doctor to denote their status.

Country Medicine: All potions are 15% more effective to anyone, all potions have 20% decrease in sale value (and perhaps all potions could have a more foul taste when consumed), must be given to others dose by dose. (this last flaw is simply a thought to try and keep the player resale value of the alchemical mixtures from negating the original disadvantage)

Arcane healing specialization - Medic learns sacrifice and rejuvinate at half the spell research requirements, and a 50% increase in effectiveness for the spellcasting ability for these two spells. The medic is unable to learn blood siphon and siphon vigor, and all other spellcasting is done with a 25% decrease in effectiveness for the spellcasting skill.
 Back to top »
Brenton
/fidget

Post Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:00 am    Post subject:

I like the packages, but the flaws seem a bit extreme...I don't think I'd want to pick any.
Ponderer

Post Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject:

What would you suggest for flaws? Would you still find the licensed flaw to be extreme if it were only a few credits per wound healed, or if the sale value on country medicine potions weren't as reduced? What are your thoughts in general, the ideas I had were by no means meant to stand alone, a rough idea is best refined by many after all. Smile
 Back to top »
Brenton
/fidget

Post Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 2:21 pm    Post subject:

No no, I meant I liked pretty much everything about the packages, just not the flaws above them I just think they restrict to much of the profession, taking away the tools that make medics an effective healer, distant doctor doesn't seem to take out to much, though massages are very useful, research medic...just seems like it'd take out anything interesting and unique to the class, never do harm is another one that limits alot...what if someone attacks you? We don't really have any way to defend ourselves except an average offense.

The traits though are on the level I would expect....not really close to being balanced to the flaws you suggested though. Meaning they'd be giving you about how much a flaw you picked took away. I'll try and think and see if I can add some trait/flaw ideas a bit later.
Ponderer

Post Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject:

Aaah, I see what you mean. The traits and flaws I suggested were not intended to be a 'trait version' and a 'flaw version' along one axis, though there were two such suggestions that are just that. So in my own mind I was thinking the flaws (in general) might have a higher point value than the traits (in general) might have point cost in these examples.
 Back to top »
Kelasa

Post Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject:

Well these are ideas for live as well so assume we would have a law system in place so if someone attacks you then you can accuse them... Plus there's always running away, and hiring bounty hunters... Empaths in DR learn to run very well.. but I would like to see that never do damage flaw to add a boost to defensive moves.
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » "Live" Discussions » Profession Traits and Flaws
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: