FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
This folder seemed appropriate.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Just For A Laugh ... » This folder seemed appropriate.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheTrackerChick
Babe of Doom

Post Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:00 pm    Post subject:

Sure I have good memories of DR and GS, but my first was HX, 6 years ago. I don't think DR or GS will not make money, but Modus and HX, yeah, this might be the end for us.

To feel that the games we loved might be obsolete because of this, isn't a real thrill. You all know DR and GS will be okay, but you're talking my game, gone forever. Along with a lot of people that play HR, that I asked to come play here. It makes me a little discouraged that people don't give a shit about the smaller player games, all I hear is DR, GS. At this point, I hope they fall totally, and HR becomes what DR and GS was once. But god, don't let us fall into their trap, Trevor, we rely on you, to talk to us. We support you, and HR, please don't let greed destroy what you and we all believe in. Or a gold toilet seat. lol
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:26 pm    Post subject:

I can tell you how this all works, because, well as you all know, I've been there.

The folks (staff) in these smaller games had no idea this was coming down the pike until it suddenly hit, just like the players. They're in crisis control. There is no magic benefit that will come into play for these games. And, the money won't be to get more staff.

Fact is, in a small game, you have limited people you can hire because a) you need to keep some as customers and b) only so many people in your pool can be considered qualified for the jobs you need filled. Because of point "a" you'd think maybe this would allow more hiring from the pool, but it won't because there will be less players, and, Simutronics is not hiking up rates to make ALL the games better. Are they hiking them up with the intent of throwing a good chunk of money into the games? Sure. But not ALL the games.

And for the big games. Folks, how much money the games pull in has jack diddly to do with how much dev gets done. These people get a little slice of the pie, but it's just that -- a little slice. They don't do it for the money. The above mentioned issues with hiring more people mean the same problems for large games too.

The bottom line here, really, is that Simutronics is in financial crisis. Two years ago a bandaid was applied. This time it's a tourniquet. That money is gushing at maddening rates and it's running out.

Let's not ignore the symbolism of the fact that the rate increase is not only the second in two years, it's also larger.

I don't say this to incite anyone -- note I'm not telling anyone to do anything with regard to Simutronics accounts you may have. But I *am* telling you this -- the games won't get better, communities will shrink and any of the smaller three games *might* close at some point soon.

Finally, I'd like to point out one final thing because really, this backs up everything I have said. Last report, there are 1019 posts on this pricing issue starting .. yesterday (including staff posts, and a handful of positive posts mainly from one poster).

How many posts are from David Whatley? There you go. He doesn't have time to talk to his contract staff, he doesn't have time to even remember some of his product managers, he sure as hell doesn't have time to deal with players.

But hey, at least he posted a lot when he was trying to cram eScape down everyone's throat a few years ago, right? WTG, Dave!

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Dzynna
Shadow Master

Post Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
The folks (staff) in these smaller games had no idea this was coming down the pike until it suddenly hit, just like the players. They're in crisis control. There is no magic benefit that will come into play for these games. And, the money won't be to get more staff.

I feel badly for the people who play the smaller games. As bad as it has been in DR (and most likely GS), it's been worse in CS2, MO, AoH, etc. Some good suggestions have been made concerning these games, not the least of which being making them a free add-on for players of GS4 and DR. That at least would bring a bit more interest in them and potentially a greater pool of people to hire from.

HR-Trevor wrote:
And for the big games. Folks, how much money the games pull in has jack diddly to do with how much dev gets done. These people get a little slice of the pie, but it's just that -- a little slice. They don't do it for the money. The above mentioned issues with hiring more people mean the same problems for large games too.

We've been told GMs don't get paid, that they do get paid, that only some of them get paid. We've been told they get paid from a 'pool' and also that they have a budgeted salary allotment for these people. It's almost humorous to me which of the above is currently being claimed to angry customers by staff in defense of something.

HR-Trevor wrote:
The bottom line here, really, is that Simutronics is in financial crisis. Two years ago a bandaid was applied. This time it's a tourniquet. That money is gushing at maddening rates and it's running out.

I don't understand -how- they could be in a financial crisis, unless it is simply through poor management and too high salaries for certain individuals.

HR-Trevor wrote:
Finally, I'd like to point out one final thing because really, this backs up everything I have said. Last report, there are 1019 posts on this pricing issue starting .. yesterday (including staff posts, and a handful of positive posts mainly from one poster).

I'd like to add to this. While some of the posts are derogatory in nature, they are but a very small handful. The majority of the people posting have even stated they could accept the price increase if if they felt they were getting their money's worth. Most are unhappy with poor customer service (including me), unfulfilled promises and downtweaks given with the name of releases.

HR-Trevor wrote:
How many posts are from David Whatley? There you go. He doesn't have time to talk to his contract staff, he doesn't have time to even remember some of his product managers, he sure as hell doesn't have time to deal with players.

I've stopped even expecting 'real' responses from the GM contract staff...so why would I expect a response from the CEO? Sorry, I'm just a bit jaded with Simutronics.

HR-Trevor wrote:
But hey, at least he posted a lot when he was trying to cram eScape down everyone's throat a few years ago, right? WTG, Dave!

And as bad as that product was and still is...and now they are cramming Stormfront down all the GS players (and soon to be DR players too) throats also....ick.

Dzynna Zol
-------------------------------------
The Retreat
--------------------------------------
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
We've been told GMs don't get paid, that they do get paid, that only some of them get paid. We've been told they get paid from a 'pool' and also that they have a budgeted salary allotment for these people. It's almost humorous to me which of the above is currently being claimed to angry customers by staff in defense of something.

I can explain it, and will be glad to. I'm gonna use BS numbers even though I do know some more factual ones... and this only applies to contract (remote) staff, not actual employees. A certain amount of money is alloted to the staff as a whole. I will throw out an imaginary but realistic number of 10% of the game's revenue. Let's just pretend we're talking about, oh, say, DR. And let's just throw out a BS magic number of accounts, let's say 10,000 accounts. Nice round number.

For sake of ease, let's disregard anything except subscriptions and we'll say that 25% of subscriptions are Premium. I'll use the new prices for ease too. So this puts us at $99,875 in Premium accounts and $112,125 in basic ones. Total: $212,000, per month.

Now, we used 10% earlier, so that's $21,200 dissemenated out to the staff. Each staff member gets a certain number of shares, and that may vary from game to game but let's say 0 to 4 shares. Number of shares based on your "rank" / position (i.e. AGM's, GM's, SGM's etc.) Let's say we have the following breakdown:

4 shares - 6 staff
3 shares - 10 staff
2 shares - 25 staff
1 share - 40 staff
0 shares - 50 staff
Total shares: 131. This makes each share worth $161.83.

The people are then paid out as follows:
4 shares (6 staff get this): $647.32
3 shares (10 staff): $485.49
2 shares (25 staff): $323.66
1 shares (40 staff): $161.83
0 shares (50 staff): $0

So as you can see, some get "paid". This is relative only to rank/position and the game's income. When I worked in MO, I made like 15 to 20 cents an hour based on my hours, usually. Obviously if MO were a more profitable game, I'd have made more.

Really, I think this system is fair, because they really can't afford to pay all these people a wage, these people do it for the love of the game, and if they paid everyone actual wages, you'd have far less developers and yet many of them wouldn't be that much more dedicated because they already do what they can. The only thing you'd accomplish is to allow them more time to work since some could quit their day jobs, but really, most of these people have much better paying jobs than Simu could ever afford to offer.

But, I always felt the actual amount shared with the staff was pretty low. I quoted 10% above,... don't take that as fact, but it's not that far off either.

Anyway, so. Some people get shares. Some people don't. Some guys in some games might get $1000 or more a month as a SGM, but generally speaking, monetary compensation is neither expected nor available to any real degree.

Simutronics is really secretive about things and frankly, everyone is afraid to say anything for fear they'll lose their jobs -- hence why you have received conflicting information.

Back to top »
Dzynna
Shadow Master

Post Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject:

I would like to add that at least 2 GMs have resigned since the price increase announcement. Does anyone know if this is happening in other Simu games or if it is limited to DR?

Dzynna Zol
-------------------------------------
The Retreat
--------------------------------------
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:25 pm    Post subject:

Probably not in the smaller games -- like me, they know quitting would just screw over the players in such a small environment. To be honest, every time I got frustrated with something, even when it was the players themselves... I always felt guilty with the idea of bailing on them for any reason.

Back to top »
Deblaeju

Post Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject:

I quit dr month after started playing hr, no regrets. an much happier
 Back to top »
Graypaws

Post Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 2:04 am    Post subject: Cant vouche for the way things are today, but...

Back when I was an AGM for GS, I didnt get paid neither did the majority of others I knew. In fact unless you were a senior member of the staff you were paid in game. Work so many hours and get an alteration or item. I started off of course a game host (which is a mentor that can actually go to the people needing help instead of making them come to you, heh) Moved into AGD , which was basically a large idea pool (my only crowning achievments being the initial concept of fire island in GS3 and merchant tables in DR (which I intended for GS at the time, heh). The other GMs and hosts I worked with along with the players themselves always made it worth it. But, after a while it got to feel like a JOB that didnt pay. It seemed that both the players and the people above you didnt appreciate the fact that you were putting in anywhere from 20 to 40 hours a week for zero pay. Generally I agree with all thats been said. Even the majority of GMs have no idea when things like price hikes and major system changes are coming down the pike. That and simutronics has to know they are steadily loosing customers to other games, so they raise the prices, make HUGE grandiose promises and hope to squeeze as much as possible out of it all on the way down.
 Back to top »
mellie
Artistic Bitch

Post Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:01 am    Post subject:

Again, I'm soooooo glad Haelrahv is my first rpg experience Very Happy
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
the blue fairy
Grandmistress

Post Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:19 am    Post subject:

Im curious what simucon takes in every year. Gods knows if they had thier own liquor supplier they would rake in the cash <G>

TBF

hmmmm anheiser is located in st louis

A set of breast implants fall from the sky with a soft plop.

Caretaker Jornnoj Vunn looks up at the sky.

A passing guard suddenly shits himself.
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 4:40 am    Post subject:

They've claimed they ran it at a loss last time, mainly due to the prizes. Seems far fetched to me, but what do I know? Wink

Back to top »
SoulTorn
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet

Post Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 4:43 am    Post subject:

I could see SimuCon running at a loss, last time.

Their bill from the audio and video streaming could have been quite ugly. <g>

-Chris
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:51 am    Post subject:

Supposedly it was due to the prizes. I don't know what/how many prizes they gave out, but when you consider the average cost of registration to the con times maybe 400-500 people, they should have about a $100,000 or more in budget to work with. That's quite a bit!

* Note I don't know how many people actually attended the last con, the only one I personally went to was Simucon 2000.

Back to top »
Mischeif

Post Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 2:21 pm    Post subject:

yes i too am a reformed simu junkie/flunkie.

ever notices they call it simucon,,,well just two words missing simuISAcon.
i started that game in the fall of 95, put my account on voluntary lockout in 01. only reason i havent sold it out, despite the fact it would tick off the game staff to see my old name *before the filters* back, since its not "game worthy", is thats where i met my irl wife, and she still has strings of sentiment tied to that game.

but on the name, this i found amusing, especially since she tried to ban me. my dr character name is mischeif. someone basicaly bad name'd me. so a gh responds to my refusal through an assist to reroll. i was already 34th level. then she asked me who would realisticly name their kid mischeif. i responded the same people that would name their kid after a lie, we must be related.....did i forget to mention her name was rumour? Laughing

and i never went to simucon, (even though i never really had a problem with eric latham, infact he did a very kind thing for us. when he found out a couple that had met in dr, married, and had a child, for pictures he gave us both a free year and we both played premium accts. not all the staff was bad, but when there is only a few diamonds in that much rough..its not worth putting up with it) i only went to vegascon. atleast there you KNEW you would be gambling

you that say hr is your first exp in mmorpg, congrats. you didnt have to endure the "check the news/boards" trained response by the staff. then only to post and have it either removed because you arent worshiping simu, or its ignored.

even IF hr went higher than simu, id pay it. the difference in staff, support, and the general community is worth it. yes barney, i even included you in that *grins*

anyway, stay here, keep it fun.

You manage to tackle Mellie Knight, the two of you landing in a heap!
Roundtime: 6 sec.
Mellie Knight exclaims, "Ack!"
Mellie Knight says, "Holy shit, Taz brought me down."
Mellie Knight says, "Damn, I'm begining to feel tiny."

(first try by the way)
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
but on the name, this i found amusing, especially since she tried to ban me. my dr character name is mischeif. someone basicaly bad name'd me. so a gh responds to my refusal through an assist to reroll. i was already 34th level. then she asked me who would realisticly name their kid mischeif. i responded the same people that would name their kid after a lie, we must be related.....did i forget to mention her name was rumour?

It doesn't get much more ironic than that. <grin>

Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Just For A Laugh ... » This folder seemed appropriate.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: