FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Twilight Festival Unique Instruments
Goto page 1, 2  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Performers » Twilight Festival Unique Instruments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:00 pm    Post subject: Twilight Festival Unique Instruments

I've made a minor modification to the five unique items sold in Kom Ruhon's stall, so that the bonuses are only provided to Performers using them. And if you used a mule Performer to buy one, shame on you. I hope this teaches you a lesson.

To make a long story short, don't tell it.

I may be going nowhere, but I'm going nowhere fast.
---
Kelvin Watt says, "I stopped drinking coke when no longer drinking beer didn't make my gut disappear."
---
Kaelin Rae says, "Wait a minute..."
Kaelin Rae says, "You mean they have a COKE machine that dispenses beer."
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
Kaelin Rae says, "Greaser."
Kaelin Rae looks at you and sighs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tylen
Alpha Antifemale

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Twilight Festival Unique Instruments

HR-Mickey wrote:
I've made a minor modification to the five unique items sold in Kom Ruhon's stall, so that the bonuses are only provided to Performers using them. And if you used a mule Performer to buy one, shame on you. I hope this teaches you a lesson.

I'm curious why this was done. Is it to set a precedent for how bonuses on other items will work (profession only)?

And you know, getting extremely ill hasn't taught people to stop licking you. How do you expect them to learn from this!
** The phrase "break a leg" just wasn't ambitious enough for Mellie Knight. [8:31 pm]
** Mellie Knight was soundly defeated by Aesal Anari-Idia in the Zgedhi Gkenrzeg Rav! [8:31 pm]
 Back to top »
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:21 pm    Post subject:

I did implement some skill/stat bonus stuff the other day to account for more versatility, but that was actually just a catalyst to the instrument changes - these occurred because I felt it unfair that some Performer characters had to miss out on a helpful profession item because some people wouldn't respect the hardcoded restriction that only Performers could purchase the item, and so loopholed their way around it.

---
Kelvin Watt says, "I stopped drinking coke when no longer drinking beer didn't make my gut disappear."
---
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tao

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I did implement some skill/stat bonus stuff the other day to account for more versatility, but that was actually just a catalyst to the instrument changes - these occurred because I felt it unfair that some Performer characters had to miss out on a helpful profession item because some people wouldn't respect the hardcoded restriction that only Performers could purchase the item, and so loopholed their way around it.

Kewl, now is there a restriction on who can buy this:

heh.

Tao
Tylen
Alpha Antifemale

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject:

HR-Mickey wrote:

Hm well anytime you have something only available to a certain profession, it's still going to get out. And a change like this won't fix it. If I had one of these special items (which I don't, unless Haidee sells me hers to raise enough cash to buy a monkey) then it really wouldn't faze me too much to lose the skill bonus on it.

Even if you went so far as to make items like this only playable by Performers, there are still going to be other people out there who want them because they're nice and unique.

I'm not asking and don't expect you to reconsider this. I just tend to dislike profession-only/-restricted things in general.
** The phrase "break a leg" just wasn't ambitious enough for Mellie Knight. [8:31 pm]
** Mellie Knight was soundly defeated by Aesal Anari-Idia in the Zgedhi Gkenrzeg Rav! [8:31 pm]
 Back to top »
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 4:04 pm    Post subject:

I disagree. I really like profession-only items. Just like that one store in the Eolai sector doesn't let anyone who isn't an Eolai in, I think there should be stores that only let certain professions in, and certain items that are only usable by certain professions. But that's just me.
 Back to top »
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject:

Tylen wrote:
Hm well anytime you have something only available to a certain profession, it's still going to get out. And a change like this won't fix it.

Naw, I understand the eccentric keepsake value of stuff like that entirely. But in that same respect, I reserve the right to limit the usefulness of an item that I released to benefit Performers at a time when I hadn't yet added all the new abilities to try and make the profession enticing.

Another potential usage of this could be seen in certain quest items in the future, so that the person who picks it is the only one capable of using it - as opposed to doing the same quest with six characters and funneling all the prizes to their main for stacked benefits.

---
---
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
 Back to top »
Tylen
Alpha Antifemale

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 7:13 pm    Post subject:

SolitaryTurnip wrote:
I disagree. I really like profession-only items. Just like that one store in the Eolai sector doesn't let anyone who isn't an Eolai in, I think there should be stores that only let certain professions in, and certain items that are only usable by certain professions. But that's just me.

An Eolai-only store is quite different from a profession-only item. It makes some sense for a shopkeeper to limit access to his wares, although what happens to those items after they leave the store are really beyond his control. I do remember an incident a few months ago where some people were trying to convince someone that it was inappropriate for a non-Eolai to wear lumis silk, which makes more sense than not letting them wear it at all.

You say you're in favor of profession-only stuff, but haven't given any reasoning for this belief. Do you have any?
 Back to top »
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject:

I'm not sure if you meant the Turnip or me, but I've got a few.

First, much like class-only abilities, it emphasizes and expresses the individuality of each profession, and brings to it something unique and tangible.

Second, in a more focused viewpoint of the first, it's a positive step away from the threat of "palette-swapped" classes.

Third, what would it hurt? They're just objects, and while they do cool things and might be nice to look at, is there really a point in coveting what someone else has that you don't?

---
---
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 11:27 am    Post subject:

I support the profession (and even race) only items. I can give a number of reasons:
  • It helps make each profession more individual by either granting abilities only they can use or reinforcing their innate power.
  • It gives incentive for players to cooperate. If a rare item is performer only and a tracker finds it, perhaps he can find a performer with a tracker only item. If nothing else, it adds to the list of valuable goods one can sell. The fact that the Tracker can't use it personally should in no way be considered leverage for the buyer to attract a lower buying price.
  • Not having these restrictions allows players to work around legit restrictions on purchase and passage, making those measures useless. Really, you only have two valid ways to look at a player using another character to get something like that... mechanics abuse or a RP opportunity. I think much more of the former occurs than the latter.

What I have heard thus far is, "Why should we have these blocks, it doesn't *make sense*?" And that's really not a something you can just say so flatly in a world with magic, etc. Anything can make sense, and this isn't a far stretch... it would of course depend on the nature of the bonus, right?

However, I think a realism technicality is a poor reason to overlook the boon to gameplay. I'd personally be more swayed by argument that points out how items having this level of restriction would be detrimental to gameplay.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Haidee
Bow chicka bow wow

Post Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject:

Just a question, but say if you sell your instrument to another Performer (not like I would ever do that *cuddles her guitar*) would those skills be available to the Performer that purchased it?
Inside an intricately beaded twilight black suede corset with hot pink lacings you see a buttery nipple, a buttery nipple, a steaming pile of gamojab poop, a speckled red crab, a chocolate chip brownie, a map of Haelrahv, a huge blonde hair ball, a severed Haidee head, and your boobs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject:

Ayup. Any Performer gains the benefit. The only reason you couldn't buy more than one was because I didn't feel it fair for one player to horde them, given the opportunity.

---
---
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
 Back to top »
Haidee
Bow chicka bow wow

Post Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:13 pm    Post subject:

Heh, well it's a good thing Kom came and found me. I didn't even know I bought it until he told me it was special. I just bought 1 of everything I could in that store. *grins* Would have been nice if I could get the others...but through assorted killings and lootings I will be sucessful. Wink
Inside an intricately beaded twilight black suede corset with hot pink lacings you see a buttery nipple, a buttery nipple, a steaming pile of gamojab poop, a speckled red crab, a chocolate chip brownie, a map of Haelrahv, a huge blonde hair ball, a severed Haidee head, and your boobs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:22 am    Post subject:

There's an interesting (albeit exhausted) idea. Performance sets that grant greater and greater accumulated bonuses.

---
---
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
 Back to top »
shalpa

Post Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject:

HR-Mickey wrote:
There's an interesting (albeit exhausted) idea. Performance sets that grant greater and greater accumulated bonuses.

Do you mean a set of matching instruments, or something like that? What do you mean by "Performance sets"?

"What happens if I..."

***BBZZZZZTTT!!!***

"...Oh."
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Performers » Twilight Festival Unique Instruments
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: