Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Parry vs. Evasion
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Guardians » Parry vs. Evasion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chevonne

Post Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 2:12 pm    Post subject: Parry vs. Evasion

Okay, I've been talking with a friend of mine about parry and evasion. I haven't been training parry and putting those training point elsewhere. I understand that parry is superior to evasion in some ways and that if an attack can't be parried (like gunshots) you will dodge if you're stance is set to parry.

My question is... I have a pretty significant bonus to evasion that I don't have with parry. If i max out parry, it still won't equal my evasion (with the bonus). So, what I'm wondering is if I max out parry and change my stance to parry, is this worth the training points for me? I understand the logic in training both because from what I understand parry is superior. Is this true for guardians or even just unarmed combat too?

thanks,
-chevonne

oh yeah, and I feel a bit bitter that every other profession is just as good as I am with unarmed, seeing as how guardians don't waste their time learning how to use guns or knives or anything. Just thought I'd throw that in. heh
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 2:14 pm    Post subject:

Your parry will still probably work slightly better. Whether or not that means it's worth training for you is another matter though and a personal choice. The difference will be real but not by any means staggering.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
oh yeah, and I feel a bit bitter that every other profession is just as good as I am with unarmed, seeing as how guardians don't waste their time learning how to use guns or knives or anything. Just thought I'd throw that in. heh

I'm not an expert on guardians, but I do know that they get some bonuses. They can learn the skill-based moves (bodyslam, pummel) earlier, for one. One of their meditations/stances lowers the RT considerably. I'm not sure if they get at % bonus like mercenaries do, but if they do then only mercenaries are on par with them skill-wise. Maybe some other stuff, I'm not sure. Will or Arriend would know more.

Oh, they also get the reduced RT like mercenaries.
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 3:20 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Guardians get a skill bonus to unarmed, so no, everyone isn't as good. And as previously mentioned, Guardians can learn the advanced moves with less skill. Plus you have natural armor, an awesome charisma bonus (case in point: Guardians can actually have more focus than either Psi or Mages, with high CHA), and sigils/meds in the future.

Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject:

--Natural -20% RT reduction to unarmed attacks.

--With Snowfall, another RT reduction is applied. Also an increase chance to knockdown/stun (I haven't used Snowfall in awhile, so I could be wrong), though damage is reduced.

--We do learn the unarmed moves sooner than anyone else with equal skill, though I'm not sure of the ratio at this time.

Quote:

In my opinion, I really would rather see everyone else only be able to double it. Even though it sort of balances out since we don't have to train armor, any of the combat-oriented professions can triple-train Parry and/or Evasion and not have to worry about getting hit (just like us). Our natural damage resistance + Meditate Stone are honestly just for emergencies or, if you've enough Charisma and are high enough in level, for when you want to risk taking on something bigger.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really enjoying the fact that we can't use weapons or wear armor effectively (well, whenever that gets coded in). It gives us something unique that noone else has. There's just no real benefit to losing two things when anyone else can negate the benefit of supposedly being the masters of unarmed combat.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
Chevonne

Post Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:04 am    Post subject:

Oh, I didn't mean to sound like I don't realize the benefits of being a guardian. I absolutey love being a guardian. I guess what I was trying to say was this:

Quote:
I'm really enjoying the fact that we can't use weapons or wear armor effectively (well, whenever that gets coded in). It gives us something unique that noone else has. There's just no real benefit to losing two things when anyone else can negate the benefit of supposedly being the masters of unarmed combat.

-chevonne
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 4:44 am    Post subject:

This is the part I don't follow:

Quote:
There's just no real benefit to losing two things when anyone else can negate the benefit of supposedly being the masters of unarmed combat.

How are others negating it?

Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:15 am    Post subject:

What I meant was that everybody and their grandmother can triple train Unarmed if they wanted to and, on a relative scale, can be just as effective as anybody else. I know that we get the moves sooner that other people -- and that we'll probably get some unique Guardian-only moves either later in this phase or in Live -- but we're still on the same playing field as far everything else goes.

Ugh, I shouldn't try to post without moutain dew in my system. Let's see..

Bob the Guardian, level 10, has 33 UA; Jean the Artisan, level 10, has 30 UA. They both have the same attack commands (Bob might have Headbutt, I'm not sure) and will, given basically the same range of stats, do about the same amount of damage. Bob would have faster attacks with Snowfall and the natural bonus, though.

..I give up. I think I've gotten the basic idea across, though.

Anyway. I know it's fairly greedy and self-centered to want to be the only profession that can be uber in unarmed. And I also know that in Live, the point is practically moot since Triple/Double training won't exist (although, I could try to battle for -50% to training UA for Guardians, though -- just joking). It just seems like everybody else is able to be a pimp with Unarmed when Guardians were built up to be the only ones with that type of glee.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject:

And the lower RT's? I think truly you are no more or less gifted as a profession with unarmed as a Trooper or Tech is with pulse, Trackers are with guns/archery, etc., and I don't know that it was ever intended that Guardians would be so awesome at unarmed that anyone else would feel like it was even semi pointless to train it if they weren't a Guardian. And really, to beef up unarmed, that's what you're talking about.

Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Guardians » Parry vs. Evasion
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: