FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Instruments, Dancing, and Singing
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Performers » Instruments, Dancing, and Singing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dante
Boi Toi

Post Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 10:58 pm    Post subject: Instruments, Dancing, and Singing

This folder was looking rather lonely, so I thought I would ask some questions about performer related things.

1) Instruments - I saw on a post somewhere else that there was a rhythym instrument and a wind instrument skill. What about strings and voice? I'm also interested in seeing what kind of new instruments appear...like those influenced from the other reaces or just something that evolved from a human one over time.

2) Dancing - Is there a skill for this or just several different verbs? What would be nice is to have dance steps become available to a character after they've done some practice. After all, you can't just get out on the dance floor and expect to win first prize with out any practice...no matter how fun it may be to watch someone do just that. Wink

3) Singing - In DR (yes, those two horrid capital letters again) the bards were the only characters that had their voice range apparent when they sang. You know...Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Bass, Baritone octaves and such. Are the performers going to be the only ones that have that defined for them or will it be for everyone? I always thought it was kind of strange that anyone could sing, but you could only pick out the octaves they sang in if they were a Bard.

~Space-Tog, who may not be planning on playing a Performer...but is interested in the trade anyway
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 11:46 pm    Post subject:

I'm not a music guy. <g> I love it, but can't play it, unfortunately. The only thing I can play is a radio. Wink

However, I consulted a staffer who is a musician in choosing those skills, and I think strings fall under rhythm. Voice falls under the singing skill.

There is an actual dancing skill, and training this skill will increase how well you dance. Both the messaging on the many dance verbs, as well as the performance factor on any dancing related skill checks will improve with training.

Right now singing does not feature a range, but is something I'd like to seriously consider. I don't really see offering it only to performers as the best thing to do, really, personally. Though this is a case where I'll consult with Counselor Shase (the Performers Guru). The second issue to resolve is whether one should be able to choose a voice range, or have it chosen for them, and the final issue is whether one should have a set range or be able to sing through more than one range with higher skill levels.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Durinthal
Arr!

Post Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 12:36 am    Post subject:

How many Human instruments (if any) will we see uncorrupted? A recorder's construction should be easy enough to pass down generations, but definitely not a clarinet (I've been playing one for 7 years, couldn't tell you what the parts were, much less how to put them together).
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 4:38 am    Post subject:

Not entirely sure yet. Shase has mostly focused on artisans to date.. Performers will actually be pretty easy to implement, the hardest aspect is spellsongs, which we haven't even planned out yet at all.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
HR-Shase

Post Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 5:52 pm    Post subject:

Howdy --

I am Shase Rivri, and I am the Performers guru! Wee!!

Durinthal wrote:
How many Human instruments (if any) will we see uncorrupted? A recorder's construction should be easy enough to pass down generations, but definitely not a clarinet (I've been playing one for 7 years, couldn't tell you what the parts were, much less how to put them together).

Wow! I play clarinet too! You've made a good point, and it is something I have given thought to. I cannot give an exact number, but there will be some 'corrupted' and some 'uncorrupted.' And, to elaborate a little more on instruments, each race will have instruments that reflect their culture and personalities. Naturally, Alteri will have more native instruments then say a Jaddan because of their mostly art culture.

Thanks for asking questions folks. I'll embellish on the Performers profession a little more when I can. As Rage said, I've been working on Artisans a lot, and I've only recently moved my focus more on Performers.

-- Shase
 Back to top »
Dante
Boi Toi

Post Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 9:51 pm    Post subject:

Lots of clarinet players here! I picked up that instrument in the 4th grade and did it up until my second year in college. Smile
Kesrel

Post Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 7:20 am    Post subject:

Only instrument I ever tried to pick up was the piano. And it was too heavy.

Anyway! Will Performers be able to sing, dance, or even play their own compositions (assuming they are skilled enough to do so)?

~Kes
 Back to top »
HR-Beau
The Good Fairy

Post Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 7:26 am    Post subject:

Our singing system is such that you can pretty much sing anything you like....though skill ultimately determines how well you can do it.
If there is one thing in the world that I know, love conquers all, it trancends time and space, defies all odds, and can bring you back from the darkness, it is the guiding light that helps bring you in from the rough stormy seas of life, and it remains even after you have gone.
~ Adam ~

www.angeluserratus.net
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
HR-Shase

Post Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 9:14 pm    Post subject:

Yes, Performers will sing and dance and play instruments. Performers can be in theatrical productions or work for the circus. I had hopes for Performers playing their own compositions. As it stands now, at release such a system will not be in effect. There was this neat idea for a contest involving the idea of composition. Keep your fingers crossed!

-- Shase
 Back to top »
Lexus00

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 2:21 pm    Post subject:

[quote="I am Shase Rivri, and I am the Performers guru! Wee!!

Thanks for asking questions folks. I'll embellish on the Performers profession a little more when I can. As Rage said, I've been working on Artisans a lot, and I've only recently moved my focus more on Performers. -- Shase[/quote]

Good to know who you are, Shase! And I play flute RL, so go woodwinds!

Lexi DiGriz, a performer
 Back to top »
HR-Shase

Post Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 7:57 pm    Post subject:

Woohoo! We should get all the instrumental performers together and start a Haelrahv marching band! How fun would that be!?!? Band geeks rule!! Laughing

-- Shase

Music keeps your brain in tune.
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 8:10 pm    Post subject:

If there's a Hael Marching Band.. I want my Performer (who probably won't get played that much during Alpha) to be on the Colour Guard. I think he would be more Dance and Magic oriented than Instrumental. ::Shrug::

--William, slowly finding the irony in that statement

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
Dragoonseal

Post Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 8:59 pm    Post subject:

HR-Shase wrote:
Woohoo! We should get all the instrumental performers together and start a Haelrahv marching band! How fun would that be!?!? Band geeks rule!!

Having hung out with the Color Guard throughout most of High School, I'd have to say that yes, band geeks infact do rule. Mr. Green
HR-Jocelyn

Post Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 9:44 pm    Post subject:

Being an orchestra member, and a rival enemy of all band members (despite the fact that several were good friends Wink) I have to disagree with that comment...
Dante
Boi Toi

Post Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 3:01 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Having hung out with the Color Guard throughout most of High School, I'd have to say that yes, band geeks infact do rule.

:Very Happy: I'm curious as to whether or not the guard members you know are as dirty minded as myself and my guard friends are.

Oh, and I'm glad someone else here knows what colorguard is. I'm so sick of explaining it as "the people with flags with the marching band" for the unenlightened. Wink

If marching bands are implemented here, I might just have to change professions. Very Happy
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Performers » Instruments, Dancing, and Singing
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: