FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
reviewing the boards
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Mercenaries » reviewing the boards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mischeif

Post Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 7:41 am    Post subject: reviewing the boards

after reading the boards in this topic, i have to ask some questions.
isnt a merc by definition, and essence, a hired killer? i have to disagree with showing or telling the contract before hand. maybe have a notice/contract that can be placed on the corpse afterwards. i guarantee you if you hired me to kill someone irl, i wouldnt call them on the phone and tell them, "oh by the way, i was hired to kill you, see you in five minutes". makes no sense. and on the bit of the "contractors" information. charge extra for anonymous status. or else its given upon request. and is it wrong to have say an arrangement with a medic, so that each time you have to kill, you can have them healed and raised? for a percent of course. and the ability to hide and aim/fire...nobody has heard of a merc taking his targets out via sniping? sniping isnt walk up, shake hands, have tea, then kill. it is unknown, unseen, and unprovoked. by essence the profession isnt a social one, more of a silent one. assasign is a merc, merc is an assasign, the profession is a hired killer. if you want to hire somoene to talk, hire a crat or artistain for a singing tellegram, but not a merc. and lets start a phrase to coin "nothing personal, everything professional"

anyways, its payday so i could afford my two cents. that and a dollar gets me a cup of coffee i know, but as the opinions, the coffee is all day free refils Laughing
 Back to top »
HR-Morrigan

Post Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:16 am    Post subject:

Mercs won't only be hired to kill, although that could be part of the contract. They will also be hired to hunt down and subdue criminals. Think Bounty Hunter more than Assassin.

As to showing the contract, there has to be a way for your target to know that you are there as an extension of the law, not just there to simply get your kicks. I'm not saying that you need to tell them every single detail about your contract, but they need to know your killing/maiming them officially.

Well that's my two cents...

Morrigan Blackfury
 Back to top »
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 1:15 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
i have to disagree with showing or telling the contract before hand. maybe have a notice/contract that can be placed on the corpse afterwards.

Yeah, I'd like that. Or maybe have "wanted" posters or a list or something. But I do agree with Morrigan that we have to let people know that we're there on business.

Quote:
and on the bit of the "contractors" information. charge extra for anonymous status. or else its given upon request.

Yeah, I'd like that too... the fact that the plan (right now) is to always have the names revealed makes me think that a lot of people will go the illegal assassin route rather than the legal mercenary route.

Quote:
and is it wrong to have say an arrangement with a medic, so that each time you have to kill, you can have them healed and raised? for a percent of course.

I don't get it. You give the medic money to heal the target, or the medic pays you for the chance to heal them? Either way, I wouldn't do it.
 Back to top »
Mischeif

Post Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:41 pm    Post subject:

naw, we dont pay the medic, its part of the contract charge. make it an option. course the medic that gets to ride with a high profile merc, would be in healing heaven wouldnt they Smile

so does this mean we will be able to get things like cuffs, bolas, etc for the subdue method? and why do this, so we can drag them back and let the contractor kill them while they are bound? oooh theres an idea,,,i like it...we go grapple em in, then bound them to a chair, then let the contractor do with them as they please, Twisted Evil i like it
 Back to top »
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:21 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
so does this mean we will be able to get things like cuffs, bolas, etc for the subdue method?

Stuff like this was suggested in another topic, I think. I just hope that if they do make specialized weapons that they'll be based on level instead of skill. Just becaues I don't train thrown weapons, so I might not be able to use something like bolas.
 Back to top »
HR-Morrigan

Post Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:36 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
and why do this, so we can drag them back and let the contractor kill them while they are bound?

Because contracts don't always lead to killing. Maybe you're contracted to bring them back to appear in court, or to serve jail time, or maybe you're to bring them in to return a stolen item....it could be any number of reasons besides their death.

Morrigan Blackfury
 Back to top »
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:52 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Maybe you're contracted to bring them back to appear in court, or to serve jail time, or maybe you're to bring them in to return a stolen item....it could be any number of reasons besides their death.

So what do Troopers do? My guess is that Troopers will go arrest shoplifters or go after hackers and stuff like that. I have no idea how trials are going to work, but let's say that there are two different kinds. One for shoplifters, etc. and the troopers would handle that. Mercenaries could subdue someone who stole an item off somebody (maybe they set it down or something), and could bring people who are being sued or something like that to court (the second kind of trial). Just speculation...
 Back to top »
HR-Hunter

Post Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:45 pm    Post subject:

Among other things, troopers would be able to arrest you if they caught you breaking a law. Mercs couldn't do anything official unless they were assigned it, and unless it was a contract from a player, it would be most likely a contract for a lawbreaker who left the jurisdiction of that cities troopers.
Mischeif

Post Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 9:04 am    Post subject:

ok now we are talking jurisdictions,,,,so basicly are you saying troopers are city police, and mercs will be along the lines of the marshals? be patient with me, just got off of work, im an mp, so aligning this as a cop type thing actualy got interesting. with this in mind, are there going to be excessive force charges that can be pressed on us?

and on not being able to use thrown weapons, at work we have rifles that shoot out nets called snares. maybe this for those of us without thrown weapons skill. base it off either pulse or marksmanship. whichever the greater for the individual.

and morrigan, i thought you would be proud of me for my blood and guts spilling desires Crying or Very sad or maybe an upgrade bought at our store with a stun gun. stun them then cuff them. and only the key of the arresting merc can undo the cuffs. so if they log after arrest, it wont matter. and if they log after the stun, let it brand them until the courts are done with them. there is a marking system. this way any merc that sees them, or trooper, can arrest them and bring them to justice.
 Back to top »
Mischeif

Post Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 9:29 am    Post subject:

also, does this mean we will be doing warrants as well as contracts?
 Back to top »
HR-Morrigan

Post Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 10:31 am    Post subject:

Quote:
and morrigan, i thought you would be proud of me for my blood and guts spilling desires

I never said there was anything wrong with killing, just wanted you to understand there was more to contracts than just that. Very Happy

Morrigan Blackfury
 Back to top »
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:37 am    Post subject:

Quote:
and on not being able to use thrown weapons, at work we have rifles that shoot out nets called snares. maybe this for those of us without thrown weapons skill. base it off either pulse or marksmanship. whichever the greater for the individual.

Way cool. I want one!

Quote:
also, does this mean we will be doing warrants as well as contracts?

Like, searching them or their house or something? I guess there are warrants other than search warrants, maybe... sorry, I'm not too good with this stuff.
 Back to top »
HR-Hunter

Post Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:11 pm    Post subject:

Most of this stuff isn't written in stone yet, what we're saying is how we'd like to see it at this point, and can change as we figure out things that don't work or get better ideas from players.

Quote:

I believe there're already weapons made of this type, though they might not actually be for sale in any of the open areas, and they use exotic skill along with flamethrowers and enthropy rifles.
TheTrackerChick
Babe of Doom

Post Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 7:40 am    Post subject:

I love the searching the house idea, but only if I can have some nice
booby (no snickers) traps in my house to catch the perpertrator (s).
Hold them for ransom from their guild if we catch them. Oh, now I
really want that dungeon! Just to have a little fun while we're negotiating.

And can we get a percentage if the mercenary fails? I think if we
can void the contract, we should get compensation.

~Ina
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
And can we get a percentage if the mercenary fails? I think if we can void the contract, we should get compensation.

Who is we? The person who put out the contract, or the person who the mercenary is after?
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Mercenaries » reviewing the boards
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: