FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Tips!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Role-playing & Socialization » Tips!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:14 am    Post subject: Tips!

SolitaryTurnip's Tips for Better Roleplaying

Tip #142: Glance over the words you wrote before projecting them! If you don't care to check the spelling of every word, at least try to make sure that your sentence makes sense with the words you've chosen.

Tip #81: Just because it's private doesn't mean it's an OOC channel. Since you're a character in a game, try to stay in-character, no matter what the circumstances!

Tip #25: Talking about roleplaying while in the game doesn't create a better roleplaying environment! If someone fails to stay in-character, show your roleplaying merit by staying IC, even if you decide to chastise them for dropping out of character.

Tip #47: The words "game" and "play" have no place in an rpg when you're talking about the RPG as the "game", and you (not your char.) being the player or doing the playing. Unless, of course, you're roleplaying a character with severe mental issues.

Follow these simple tips, plus a bit of common sense, and soon you'll be roleplaying with the best of them!

Last edited by SolitaryTurnip on Tue Dec 30, 2003 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:15 am    Post subject:

Sorry, I had to say something. I figured humor (even if it is lame, late-at-night-need-some-sleep humor) is better than just whining.

P.S. Why is everyone saying "is win" or "the win" lately... doesn't make any sense, and sure looks awful.

P.P.S. Don't say "teh" on the comms. This isn't Counter-Strike. If your character is supposed to actually be saying the word "teh," then your character is an idiot.

P.P.P.S. Unless your character has a speech impediment where they mispronounce such words as "the." Then it's fine.

Last edited by SolitaryTurnip on Tue Dec 30, 2003 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 2:32 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Tip #47: The words "game" and "play" have no place in an rpg. Unless, of course, you're roleplaying a character with severe mental issues.

What if you're PLAYing a GAME of chess? Or what if your character is simply discussing PLAYing the GAME of life?

Quote:
P.S. Why is everyone saying "is win" or "the win" lately... doesn't make any sense, and sure looks awful.

Because it is teh win.

Quote:
P.P.S. Don't say "teh" on the comms. This isn't Counter-Strike. If your character is supposed to actually be saying the word "teh," then your character is an idiot.

I'm glad that you're discriminatory against people with a speech impedement.

--William

PS: "Teh win", and other such variations, are obviously part of Haelrahvian culture by now. Colloquialism, you know.

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 10:18 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I'm glad that you're discriminatory against people with a speech impedement.

I don't think there exists a speech impediment where the ONLY word you mispronounce is "the". You'd most like mispronounce any word with a TH, and I haven't seen that. Nice try, though.

Quote:
PS: "Teh win", and other such variations, are obviously part of Haelrahvian culture by now. Colloquialism, you know.

You have no idea how depressed this makes me.
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:42 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I don't think there exists a speech impediment where the ONLY word you mispronounce is "the". You'd most like mispronounce any word with a TH, and I haven't seen that. Nice try, though.

Luckily, I never clarified that the speech impediment (and thanks for correcting my spelling of that, I don't know why I used a second 'e') was restricted to just "teh" in my rebuff. I have seen someone that has gone as far as to smudge most of his words that begin with "th", so I was assuming that some percentage of people you were talking about were doing the same.

Quote:
You have no idea how depressed this makes me.

Why? "The win," (and its variants) can be looked at as an attempt at RolePlay -- for some people -- as trying to immerse their character in Haelrahvian culture. I do not see how this could be depressing. Sure, as a player it makes no sense in a lingual sense, but neither does "WAAAAAZZUUUUUUHP" and other such things in our current culture. If you were to read A Clockwork Orange, you would definantly find a few (under-exaggerated) phrases that seem strange to us, but as you delve deeper into the story they make perfect sense.

Besides. Since it obviously bugs you, and I'd assume that it bugs your character as well, just roleplay that it's a mark of the uneducated, the lower class, or just the uncivilized. I doubt Neifl will like that, though.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 12:59 pm    Post subject:

You know, just because you can defend something by distorting, twisting, and bending it so that it fits, doesn't mean it actually fits. I highly doubt anyone who says "teh win" is trying to role-play. This is no knock on you William, but this is only one hop short of like in Modus when people would talk about RL all the time openly by saying "on the mainland". Like "I just saw Lord of the Rings, on the mainland". Or, people who use "Old Earth" to defend knowledge of things IRL.

As with many things, there is a difference between what you CAN do and what you SHOULD do.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Brenton
/fidget

Post Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:32 pm    Post subject:

Why do people say Old Earth? This isn't new earth...its Haelrahv. Pet Peeve.
senseandviolets

Post Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:49 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Just roleplay that it's a mark of the uneducated, the lower class, or just the uncivilized.

I don't think it's fair to force those who reject the use of internet lingo as being appropriate to the HR era into RPing elitists. Imho the catch phrase is no more likely to have survived than the valley girl's verbal spice of liberal "likes," and "totallies." (Fer sure)

Quote:
I doubt Neifl will like that, though.

Yes, we all want to be "teh cool," and if not, may lord have mercy on our exp pools.

::Missing the "good old days," when we had a unique speech worthy of being called colloquial, ie "knarfing."::
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 10:19 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, what Trevor said.

Quote:
I don't think it's fair to force those who reject the use of internet lingo as being appropriate to the HR era into RPing elitists.

Teh is internet lingo, but strictly used when chatting (text style). Internet lingo like "ownt" and "pwnd" can get transferred into speech. I've heard (and said) ownt and pawned IRL, but nobody I know says "teh".

Quote:
Besides. Since it obviously bugs you, and I'd assume that it bugs your character as well, just roleplay that it's a mark of the uneducated, the lower class, or just the uncivilized.

Well, see, it's hard to say that "teh" bugs my character, because that's an OOC thing. "The win" is just something that people say doesn't make any sense to him.
 Back to top »
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 12:27 am    Post subject:

Oh, and...

Quote:
I have seen someone that has gone as far as to smudge most of his words that begin with "th", so I was assuming that some percentage of people you were talking about were doing the same.

Maybe some people do, but I haven't seen anybody.
 Back to top »
senseandviolets

Post Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 1:26 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Teh is internet lingo, but strictly used when chatting (text style). Internet lingo like "ownt" and "pwnd" can get transferred into speech.

I fail to see the distinction. I've never heard anyone say "pwnd," or "ownt." I've always heard it pronounced as "owned." The former two sound just as awkward to me as "Teh," if not more so.

Just to clarify, I personally have no issues with any of the above phrases, ohter than a general consternation with the main stream.
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 1:48 pm    Post subject:

I'd like to introduce emoticons into everyday language.

"Wow, that was pretty cool, semicolon closing-parenthesis."

"Hey, you damn kids! Get the hell off my lawn, greater-than colon capital O!"

To make a long story short, don't tell it.

I may be going nowhere, but I'm going nowhere fast.
---
Kelvin Watt says, "I stopped drinking coke when no longer drinking beer didn't make my gut disappear."
---
Kaelin Rae says, "Wait a minute..."
Kaelin Rae says, "You mean they have a COKE machine that dispenses beer."
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
Kaelin Rae says, "Greaser."
Kaelin Rae looks at you and sighs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:19 pm    Post subject:

Ohmygod, your new avatar is so win.

--William, colon hyphen capitol d

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 3:15 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I've never heard anyone say "pwnd," or "ownt." I've always heard it pronounced as "owned."

That's cuz you don't hang with the cool crowd like I do. Of course, you could also say thing about "teh"... that some people actually do say it. I'll try a different argument, then...

Since some people do say "ownt," I guess it's safe to believe that some people may say "teh"... however, the people that do say that are people that play online games a lot, and they say it to their friends who play a lot of online games. I think it's safe to assume that no characters in HR have ever played CS or Quake or anything like that. I still say "teh" is ooc.

Quote:
Ohmygod, your new avatar is so win.

You people are making Mr. Webster weep in his grave. I think he would take his own life if he ever heard the word "win" used as an adjective.
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 4:57 pm    Post subject:

</anal retentiveness>

Quote:
That's cuz you don't hang with the cool crowd like I do.

You cannot say anything further about misspelling words purposely.

Quote:
the people that do say that are people that play online games a lot, and they say it to their friends who play a lot of online games.

You're still leaving the people with possible speech impediments out. But, as Trevor said, there is a line between the technically possible and the believable. It was never my (true) intention to actually make "teh" part of the Haelrahvian lexicon; I was merely trying to be an ass by pointing out obvious flaws in Turnip's Tips.. if only because I dislike it when people say "Hey, you're starting to suck, why don't you try it this way".

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points

Last edited by Brokyn on Tue Dec 30, 2003 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Role-playing & Socialization » Tips!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: