FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
roleplaying
Goto page 1, 2  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Role-playing & Socialization » roleplaying
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the blue fairy
Grandmistress

Post Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 2:47 pm    Post subject: roleplaying

If you are going to roleplay a very strong type of lifestyle or personality as say a vampire, dont whine when somone roleplays as somone who does not tolerate or like that type of person.
I can accept you not liking me if I kill you for being a vampire but you should of realised when you made that choice that there would be people who do not like it.

Nothing personal really and no I wont hunt you down just to kill you repeatedly but if you are going to brag and giggle about being a vampire in my presense than most likely I will have to purify your soul and give you a chance to be reborn. Unless of course im just to damn lazy to do so, unfortunatly for those involved today that was not the case.

The Blue Fairy
killer of vampires
today atleast

A set of breast implants fall from the sky with a soft plop.

Caretaker Jornnoj Vunn looks up at the sky.

A passing guard suddenly shits himself.
 Back to top »
PepsiKing

Post Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 3:22 pm    Post subject:

Speaking of roleplaying.....

The following is not pointed at one person or anyone in particular just the professions that follow.

This is a true observation on what i've noticed in the game for a long time now.

Medics

Medics don't revive or heal people they dislike or whisper to a body if they want help. Alright this doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me as say in real life someone in the medical profession passing by an accident, <A> Would they keep going, not willing to help? Or <B> Stop and ask someone unconscious if they wanted help or not, then wait for an answer before acting upon it?

Alright please if your going to roleplay a medic, then roleplay a medic, whispering to someone if they want revived is OOC, heck whispering is meant for OOC comments in most games. Just revive the person like them or not.

Guardians.

Where are the Guardians at <preaching> or talking on the ways of peace when characters are dying from being killed by other characters, I mean c'mon all the deaths that have happened and not one player out there roleplaying their guardians as even remotely close to the profession decriptions of one?

Troopers.

Where are the troopers in Llanfair attempting to police the characters doing not so legal things? I know that ONDUTY/OFFDUTY isn't live yet but what is it that difficult to roleplay being onduty at times?

That's all I have for now on what I think is missing from RPing. Feel Free to respond and I know most will. <chuckles>

PK
 Back to top »
Kelasa

Post Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 3:35 pm    Post subject:

PepsiKing wrote:
Medics don't revive or heal people they dislike or whisper to a body if they want help. Alright this doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me as say in real life someone in the medical profession passing by an accident, <A> Would they keep going, not willing to help? Or <B> Stop and ask someone unconscious if they wanted help or not, then wait for an answer before acting upon it?

There was a big debate a while back on 'Consent to heal' for medics. There is only so far you can go to roleplay reallife in this situation. RL you wouldn't be able to revive someone with a cardiostimulator after the first minute and a half has gone by. RL a person who's dead by all points stays dead short of a miracle. Consent to heal doesn't just mean wounds or anything, it means healing in all forms. There is a way provided in game for a person who is dead to respond to a medic to give consent. I could see what your saying if there was no in game way to respond, but there is.

Whispers are not JUST for ooc purposes. They are also there for instances that you don't want everyone to know what your doing, specially when you don't know whether or not your being stalked. Or for politely phraising a request rather than interupt a conversation that is going on. If whispers were only OOC, does that make Transmit TO only ooc as well?
Downtweak

Post Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 3:37 pm    Post subject:

Wow.

If only I had someone to tell me how I'm supposed to RP my character from the beginning, life would have been so much easier.

Code:
They hate me because I am the accumulation of the knowledge of Death.  That knowledge is a curse to them instead of a useful burden.

-Nef; From the Dust Returned
 Back to top »
Brenton
/fidget

Post Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 3:45 pm    Post subject:

Pardon me, but not everyone is alike and don't have to fit in the stereotypical mold of what you consider the class is for. If a medic doesn't revive someone, its because they have a good reason, *in their opinion at least*. There are some people I won't revive, because I think they're better off dead. And the subject of healing, not everyone considers having a stranger messing around with their body, even if its healing them, a good thing. The whispering to see if they want to be revived...don't know why anyone would do that...if they havent' restored that should tip you off they want to be revived, and if they stay like that I will, assuming they aren't on my black list.

To you Miss Fairy, though. You've never said a word about vampires before two people decided to start roleplaying them you decided you'd be the vampire slayer. Granted, them flashing that around is not a very smart thing to do, but don't pretend like you've had this planned out from the beginning, you obviously haven't.
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 4:12 pm    Post subject:

There are two considerations to make, re: Medics.

Healers throughout the ages have been known for putting their medical code before personal trifles. Not because they had to, or benefitted from doing so, but because they held a believe that no living person should be denied the care they could provide.

This extends not only in cases of people disliked, but also to criminals, and prisoners of war. You can be assured a doctor in our armed services would attempt to save the life of any prisoner of war, the "enemy" as it were.

That said, there will always be rogues who buck the system. It is unfortunate that so many healers in so many games choose to portray this type -- I for one greatly enjoy the presence of the convicted healer who sticks to his guns in books and movies. They always make great characters that you respect, even if you wish they'd let the bad guy just die.

But in the end, this is a game played by people who are free to make their individual decisions and it is up to them how to roleplay their character and there is no "wrong" or "right" if they are following their heart on the matter and doing what they really believe their character would do.

I suppose... I just wish less people designed badass characters and more designed characters with more sympathy and compassion ... traits you usually see reserved for helping the innocent or young, but rarely see for anyone else. And it's a shame to see any world denied those rare persons that do something different, even at the risk of their own person or feelings.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
the blue fairy
Grandmistress

Post Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 4:13 pm    Post subject:

I never said I did

You took me to them yourself and they boasted about it in front of me which is the first time for that to happen

a lil time passed and I considered it and decided to rid the town of them

and why are you complaining Brenton you kidnapped me for "adventure" you saying I let you down?

TBF

Back to top »
the blue fairy
Grandmistress

Post Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 4:17 pm    Post subject:

Ohhh and let me point out yet again. I am by no means saying you should agree with me killing them. But for them to demand I apologize to one before they come back and play and telling me I have you in tears in real life just because I roleplayed not liking vampires in the town I live in and taking action against it is a tad ridiculous.
You choose to play a character that will most likely not be recieved well by others than dont whine when somone takes action.

I certainly wouldnt expect somone to apologize to me for killing me for killing them.

Mostly what I am saying is think through things before you start roleplaying something like that. If you cant take the heat dont put yourself in the fire.

TBF

Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 4:20 pm    Post subject:

While no one likes being killed out of the blue, role-playing a vampiric character must certainly be considered controversial and one would assumably expect backlash up to and including death for that choice. I would personally assume most such characters would choose to keep their condition a secret, assuming they aren't virtually unkillable anyway.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
the blue fairy
Grandmistress

Post Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 4:28 pm    Post subject:

exactly my point
thank you Trevor

TBF

Back to top »
senseandviolets

Post Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 4:30 pm    Post subject:

Okay my turn!

Medics, whispering, and consent:

If a medic doesn't ask before healing a person, they are possibly putting themselves in danger. Some people can't deal with being touched, and may retaliate. Layne personally is always thankful for a kind gesture. However, she's fully capabul of healing most wounds herself, and if a medic works on her without asking first, she assumes they are doing it for their own pleasure of seeing her Eolai form restored to it's natural and beautius state. I.E. She won't tip. ;]

However, no one can revive themselves from death. I believe the being able to whisper while you are dead is a bug seeing as I haven't found one other verb that works. If anything it would make the most sense to be able to still use telepathy if you were dead, I don't see any reason why one could whisper yet not speak. For those of you who haven't taken First Aid/CPR, the Red Cross's stance on consent states that it is implied if the person is unconscious. Makes sense no? In HR if the person wasn't hoping and praying for a medic's graces they would have restored directly after falling. For this reason I feel whispering to the dead is in fact OOC.

Still it is every medics personal choice who they will or will not revive. I've never played a medic, but I don't believe there is any oath expressed or impleid that they will use their talents indiscrimantly for the sake of love of life. And until something like this is implimented in the Profession, by say bonuses or penalties to skill depdning on the medics activity, it is not for any one else to judge. It stands as a personal RP choice.

Guardians:

I too am dissapointed with the lack of ritous Guardians, but this as well is a personal RP choice. However, perhaps some day when the ritous breed of Guardian comes forth he will put to shame his "dishonerable," brethren. I would find it much more interesting to see two clans of Guardians form, those of the dark and the light, and the ensuing battle for power and/or respect that could ensue, than to have all Guardians fit some pre-fabricated stereotype.

Vampires:

Ew. Cool

Final Comments:

It seems all of a sudden everybody wants to be evil, or a bad ass, and this can grow just as tiresome as everyone being sweet and bubbly. It'd be refreshing to see more activity from groups such as the Eternal Defenders.
senseandviolets

Post Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 4:36 pm    Post subject:

Rats, someone always beats me to my comments. ;] Sorry for any redundancy, I had been typing as Trevor posted.
the blue fairy
Grandmistress

Post Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 4:42 pm    Post subject:

I was not trying to be a bad ass actually, I was trying to rid the town of a vile creature that preys on the flesh of people. Which I said so before during and after the killing, as I also requested that they live a rightous life and not drink again for they had been reborn.

A lil cocky thinking that my blade could save thier soul, yes, but I personally thought it gave a nice opening for them to make a choice.

1. stay a vamp and keep bragging about it and keep being killed

2. Stay a vamp and keep quite about it and be left in peace

3. change your wicked wicked ways

Either way you choose it gave you a larger way to roleplay your vampiric character but instead you chose to take it OOC and tell me how mean I was and how much I hurt your feelings and demand and apology before you return to play.

The Blue Fairy

Back to top »
senseandviolets

Post Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 4:50 pm    Post subject:

My comments weren't directed at you.

Quote:
Vampires, Ew.

There are obvious problems with responding OOC to IC actions.
the blue fairy
Grandmistress

Post Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 4:53 pm    Post subject:

actually I knew that <smile> I just thought I would point out my motivation behind my attacks your comment just brought it to mind

TBF

Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Role-playing & Socialization » roleplaying
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: