FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Racism is Dead : Revived
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Role-playing & Socialization » Racism is Dead : Revived
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tylen
Alpha Antifemale

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject:

Enverdi wrote:
In my opinion, it's not horribly inaccurate to assume that things have changed a bit. Eolais can walk around like snooty rich people all they want, but there is no reason an Eolai can't have...stopped thinking along those lines. Social evolution, that sort of thing.

Sure, it's inaccurate. Eolai society is what it is.

While it's definitely not implausible that the racial description on the main website is wrong (I sure wouldn't mind seeing it updated), it's really all we have to work with as far as real Eolai culture. Despite all the effort people put into their "RP," Eolai PC pseudo-culture is going to be far from representative of the race as a whole.
** The phrase "break a leg" just wasn't ambitious enough for Mellie Knight. [8:31 pm]
** Mellie Knight was soundly defeated by Aesal Anari-Idia in the Zgedhi Gkenrzeg Rav! [8:31 pm]
 Back to top »
Kit
Cybertech Extraordinaire~

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject:

I've never found Haidee to be racist...not towards Kit or any of my other non-Eolai-types. I usually take her 'I'm better than everyone' (in the gaming sense of course) to be mostly comical...not so much serious. That could just be my perception of it though. I've yet to find anyone IG that really RPs racism...but then again I don't believe that Eolai are really that racist on the extreme levels one associates with racism today. They just have a 'we're cooler' perspective...but that's like how everyone is on earth anyhow. Italians think that Italians are the coolest, Irish think that Irish are the coolest...and so on...and so forth.

I sort of see HR as being America...lots of different races, but everyone's all living together. 600 years of that (I only use that figure because that's when Humans arrived on Haelrahv...in our relative years) and I'm sure the Eolai have changed from their traditions. Everyone does.

Then again, I'm working on a knowledge of how humans on Earth react to cultural change.

THAT said, and to get back on topic, have some extreme racists in HR would be cool...they would bring conflict and conflict is what any story (HR is sort of like a story anyhow...just like history is) needs to continue. that's why I'm greatful for all of Beau's little RP storylines...and Tshar's Yeii fanatic story line...and even Yisi's academy has been a semi-storyline.

I definately think a group of superior-acting Eolai would be good for Haelrahv....even if it might be equated to a psuedo-nazi-sm. And THAT said (I repeat myself! 0.o), stuff like that is interesting. Look at all the WW2 buffs that are still real big on studying the Nazi regime...that sorta stuff is just so interesting!

While I'm sure there are some people here that would definately see a racist Eolai character as having a racist human player...those are the types that generally have huge problems seperating the game from reality anyhow...

So just do what Yaru and Tshar did when starting their RPs. Post it on the boards! Then we'll all know what's going on, the motivation behind it, and so on. ^.^

AIM: KitMurphyHR
Email: yojibalinese@hotmail.com
Technician Database: http://tech.haelrahv.net/
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject:

Kit wrote:
Post it on the boards! Then we'll all know what's going on, the motivation behind it, and so on. ^.^

although sometimes it helps to not post, too.

i'm fairly certain that if the spam-mails i sent everyone from "nova" were known to be from me, less people would have been wondering what the hell was going on. Very Happy but that was more of a mystery storyline, anyway, so it made sense not to let everyone onto what was happening.
Tylen
Alpha Antifemale

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject:

I'm pretty against people posting about their RP plots. If you have to explain it to everyone, you're probably doing something wrong.

And yeah, Eolai racism (elitism) is pretty different from what most people think of racism (discrimination).
** The phrase "break a leg" just wasn't ambitious enough for Mellie Knight. [8:31 pm]
** Mellie Knight was soundly defeated by Aesal Anari-Idia in the Zgedhi Gkenrzeg Rav! [8:31 pm]
 Back to top »
Kit

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
Kit wrote:
Post it on the boards! Then we'll all know what's going on, the motivation behind it, and so on. ^.^

although sometimes it helps to not post, too.

i'm fairly certain that if the spam-mails i sent everyone from "nova" were known to be from me, less people would have been wondering what the hell was going on. Very Happy but that was more of a mystery storyline, anyway, so it made sense not to let everyone onto what was happening.

I completely agree. XD I hate Kit grilling Gawyn about them. That was pretty cool. There IS a difference between mystery RP and 'I'm gonna be a racist bastard' RP....and it might be a good idea to post ideas on the latter online...that way I can play as if Kit knows your character is a racist bastard -- through the grape vine or whatever -- or others might join you in your persuit of assholiness.

Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject:

Tylen wrote:
I'm pretty against people posting about their RP plots. If you have to explain it to everyone, you're probably doing something wrong.

i'm all for it in terms of giving people fair warning and also updating people with what is going on. i'm sure Tshar could have RPed his Yeii stuff without warning anyone, but just so people get fair warning and didn't just cry foul it made sense to inform people. as for the yisi thing, i gave advance warning just because i (1) didn't want people to think it was a GMNPC doing it and (2) wanted people to know who it was so they didn't think i would just run off with the cash.
Enverdi
Strange and Exciting

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject:

And she continues to be well-played and interesting. Yay for characters!
Acera
The Cyber Maid

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject:

I will let you all consider the implications of why an Eolai would become a subservient maid, then.
Kit

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject:

Acera wrote:
I will let you all consider the implications of why an Eolai would become a subservient maid, then.

My Eolai character pretends she's human out of dislike for her culture. ^.^ It's great when people play outside the box on their chosen race. You definately need to be around so Kit can hire you to clean his workshop. Oh, the joys of sloppiness. ::hum:: Speaking of, I need to get some things together... I plan on hiring PCs for MIT. But that's a whole nother topic.

Back to top »
Tylen
Alpha Antifemale

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject:

Kit wrote:
It's great when people play outside the box on their chosen race.

Not when a statistically disproportionate number of people do it.
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject:

yeah, i have to agree there.

it's great to play a unique character, but if everyone plays some kind of extreme then it gets a bit silly. not everyone can be a wise old man, racist eolai, gassy darju, or whatever.

in fairness, though, most of the new characters i've been seeing pop up do tend to play as unique characters with less than massive quirks. i love seeing that we have an eolai maid now. of course, if we see five more, then it will get annoying. i know that was the case when yaru first came around. within a month there were like half a dozen other 'kids' running around screaming and crying and so on. i'm glad that died out because i don't feel that obnoxious playing an obnoxious kid now. Wink
Tylen
Alpha Antifemale

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:44 pm    Post subject:

Back in HX it must have been a requirement that when all PCs were children, their parents were killed by bandits. I suppose that was why everyone adopted everyone else.
 Back to top »
Dzynna
Shadow Master

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
i know that was the case when yaru first came around. within a month there were like half a dozen other 'kids' running around screaming and crying and so on. i'm glad that died out because i don't feel that obnoxious playing an obnoxious kid now. Wink

That was SO annoying (and this coming from someone who plays a young'n too). But Riwa's the equivalent of a teenager, not a child, so there's some difference.

Personally I don't have a problem with people RPing whatever (racists, maids, yeii fanatics, angered husbands, what have you), as long as they don't cry foul when others are doing the same.

Dzynna Zol
-------------------------------------
The Retreat
--------------------------------------
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Acera
The Cyber Maid

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject:

I was actually considering recruiting other maids...
HR-Morrigan

Post Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I sort of see HR as being America...lots of different races, but everyone's all living together. 600 years of that (I only use that figure because that's when Humans arrived on Haelrahv...in our relative years) and I'm sure the Eolai have changed from their traditions. Everyone does.

Just wanted to point out that only certain parts of Haelrahv are as integrated as Llanfair, such as Abbindolare (which is more integrated in fact, no racial quarters there Very Happy ), in many of the other places, they are not as radical. Certainly there is cooperation globally to a degree, but each city state is still run differently. Think about Esia and Besroth which have communities that are Eolai and Human only, respectively. Yes, I know that none of these areas are available to play in, but I still think its a good thing to keep in mind when you think of the world.

Morrigan Blackfury
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Role-playing & Socialization » Racism is Dead : Revived
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: