FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Trying to understand landscaping
Goto page 1, 2  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Player Homes » Trying to understand landscaping
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nelle
Ooh Nuuurse..

Post Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:37 am    Post subject: Trying to understand landscaping

Okay, I've been reading through the old posts and everything I can find but I'm just missing something somewhere.

If I want to forage in one of my lawn areas, is a pond with fresh water going to help boost what is able to be found there? My initial impression that ponds were solely for fishing but then I found a reference to them with landscaping so now I'm just a tad confused.
Denavae
Lookit the flowers!

Post Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject:

Well, you could always do a little bit of research IG. Find all the fishing areas you can, survey, compare and see what's available in each and if the water appears to play any part in it.

Then, with all that info in hand, start working on your home lawn to get a better understanding of what the water effects, if anything.

To answer your question, though, I don't think water plays a huge role in much of anything but fishing, but I could be wrong. I think it is more the fact of the materials used then anything else.

BoonDock Saints wrote:
When I raise my flashing sword, and my hand takes hold on judgment, I will take vengeance upon mine enemies, and I will repay those who haze me. Oh, Lord, raise me to Thy right hand and count me among Thy saints.
 Back to top »
Seth Ventril
Disenfranchised Shadow

Post Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject:

One of my lawns has fresh water and the other has salt water. So I think water might kinda play into it, possibly, because my fresh water lawn has clay to forage. My salt water lawn doesn't.
Assassin: That's a good point...The creed is..."Stick them with the pointy end." - Ctrl+Alt+Del parody of Assassin's Creed.
---
TELEPATHY [close]:  Yaru Dex - "Great now you made Mickey cry. Thanks a lot, Seth."
---
Korell Ventril exclaims, "Choo ain no guard! Choo a crackhead!"
 Back to top »
Nelle
Ooh Nuuurse..

Post Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject:

I've been trying to research this both ingame and out. The thing is that foraging something near a water source doesn't exactly translate into having that same thing show up in a lawn if you put in a pond. Since I don't fish I don't want to add the pond unless it's actually going to make a difference.

Buying the house left me broke so I'm working on the house as I earn the money to add things. 75k can buy a lot of things right now and I don't want to invest it in something I don't want -unless- it adds to what I can forage that I can actually use in potions. This is why I'm trying to find out first.
Seth Ventril
Disenfranchised Shadow

Post Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject:

Do what I do. Find a friend who wants private fishing but can't get a home *g*
Assassin: That's a good point...The creed is..."Stick them with the pointy end." - Ctrl+Alt+Del parody of Assassin's Creed.
---
TELEPATHY [close]:  Yaru Dex - "Great now you made Mickey cry. Thanks a lot, Seth."
---
Korell Ventril exclaims, "Choo ain no guard! Choo a crackhead!"
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:25 am    Post subject:

Certain forageables exist either only by water (and fresh/salt are completely different in this regard) or they are more easily found by water. You do have to understand, also, that foraging works purely based on terrain and each forageable item can exist under various conditions, not just one specific condition.

Other factors include whether or not it's an indoors location (which doesn't exist for lawns), whether it's dark or not (night time counts as dark, as does any other form of darkness), the elevation of the location, depth if you're in water (again not applicable to lawns), and the actual terrain levels.

The terrain types that exist in Haelrahv (not all available in lawns) are: coniferous forest, deciduous forest, dirt, fresh water, grass, ice, jungle, marsh, rock, salt water, sand, urban, volcanic. Urban is really a measure of how urban/settled an area is, not any actual terrain. Areas with some minimal or greater urban terrain to them are illuminated at night to reflect their population (hence why all of Llanfair is never "dark" at night, for instance.)

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Nelle
Ooh Nuuurse..

Post Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject:

That helped me understand it a little better. Thank you.

I did go ahead and get a fresh water pond. And learned to fish. It's more fun than I thought it would be, I admit it.
Xavain

Post Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject:

I'm almost done landscaping my second lawn room. The other has a pond in it, this one doesn't. If you like I'll post the survey on each of them when I do get finished. Probably tomorrow sometime.
 Back to top »
Nelle
Ooh Nuuurse..

Post Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:42 am    Post subject:

That would be interesting to see, yes please.
Xavain

Post Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject:

Ok, both these rooms are completely maxed on landscaping (per the design terminal). The first one has a fresh water pond. Can't figure out how to get the survey (concentrations of forest, grass, sand, etc) to show what I want it to but oh well. It looks like imfel seed didn't grow in the room with out water and neither will grow stasis flower or londrum. I might add a saltwater pond to my third room even though it doesn't fit the descrip just to see if that has any effect.

Looking carefully at your surroundings, you note the primary composition of the terrain as a very high concentration of grass, a very high concentration of dirt, and a fair concentration of sand.
It looks as though you could do some freshwater fishing here.
This area is at sea level.
It is currently day.

It looks like you could forage some tandrum weed, an ortus flower, some sirolei ivy, some placa root, a catlas flower, a dedlas seed, an imfel seed, an argurat fruit, an archer's arrow, some sickle weed, a three-leaf clover, an ayunda blossom, a pink eorit stone, a vexri stone, a shoran jewel, a rkol gem, a kuzta crystal, a waeisho stone, a llichnai stone, a block of brown clay, a javpov stone, a nabiko gem, a red scorchstone, a silbein limb, a silbein branch, a silbein stick, a silbein twig, a grom-wood limb, a grom-wood branch, a grom-wood stick, a grom-wood twig, a haeleio limb, a haeleio branch, a haeleio stick, a haeleio twig, a jalumin limb, a jalumin branch, a jalumin stick, a jalumin twig, a gaoun limb, a gaoun branch, a gaoun stick, a gaoun twig, a saifbraelsh limb, a saifbraelsh branch, a saifbraelsh stick, a saifbraelsh twig, an aefafe limb, an aefafe branch, an aefafe stick, and an aefafe twig here.

Looking carefully at your surroundings, you note the primary composition of the terrain as a very high concentration of grass, a very high concentration of dirt, and a fair concentration of sand.
This area is at sea level.
It is currently day.

It looks like you could forage some tandrum weed, an ortus flower, some sirolei ivy, some placa root, a catlas flower, a dedlas seed, an argurat fruit, an archer's arrow, some sickle weed, a three-leaf clover, an ayunda blossom, a pink eorit stone, a vexri stone, a shoran jewel, a rkol gem, a kuzta crystal, a waeisho stone, a llichnai stone, a javpov stone, a nabiko gem, a red scorchstone, a silbein limb, a silbein branch, a silbein stick, a silbein twig, a grom-wood limb, a grom-wood branch, a grom-wood stick, a grom-wood twig, a haeleio limb, a haeleio branch, a haeleio stick, a haeleio twig, a jalumin limb, a jalumin branch, a jalumin stick, a jalumin twig, a gaoun limb, a gaoun branch, a gaoun stick, a gaoun twig, a saifbraelsh limb, a saifbraelsh branch, a saifbraelsh stick, a saifbraelsh twig, an aefafe limb, an aefafe branch, an aefafe stick, and an aefafe twig here.
 Back to top »
Nelle
Ooh Nuuurse..

Post Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject:

Thank you so much, it helps me understand.
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject:

Xavain wrote:
Ok, both these rooms are completely maxed on landscaping (per the design terminal). The first one has a fresh water pond. Can't figure out how to get the survey (concentrations of forest, grass, sand, etc) to show what I want it to but oh well.

you only see the top three amounts in a survey.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject:

Londrum is sort of like a mushroom type plant. It requires darkness (might require an inside location too, I can't remember off hand) which is why you find it most easily in caves. Of course, all lawns are outside locations. Stasis tends to most easily grow in locations with extreme dryness and heat, making volcanic locations ideal.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Xavain

Post Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
Xavain wrote:
Ok, both these rooms are completely maxed on landscaping (per the design terminal). The first one has a fresh water pond. Can't figure out how to get the survey (concentrations of forest, grass, sand, etc) to show what I want it to but oh well.

you only see the top three amounts in a survey.

So, if you max out everything dirt and grass will always show up. The third that shows being which ever of the others that you max out first?

HR-Trevor wrote:
Stasis tends to most easily grow in locations with extreme dryness and heat, making volcanic locations ideal.

Just info purposes for whoever wants it...

Looking carefully at your surroundings, you note the primary composition of the terrain as an abundance of ice.
This area is greatly higher than sea level.
It is currently night.

It looks like you could forage a stasis flower and an archer's arrow here.
Roundtime: 3 sec.

P.S. Obviously ice isn't in homes either, wasn't talking about getting it in houses at this point just the contrast between vocanos and ice.
 Back to top »
dragonseyes

Post Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject:

Xavain wrote:
HR-Trevor wrote:
Stasis tends to most easily grow in locations with extreme dryness and heat, making volcanic locations ideal.

Just info purposes for whoever wants it...

Looking carefully at your surroundings, you note the primary composition of the terrain as an abundance of ice.
This area is greatly higher than sea level.
It is currently night.

It looks like you could forage a stasis flower and an archer's arrow here.
Roundtime: 3 sec.

P.S. Obviously ice isn't in homes either, wasn't talking about getting it in houses at this point just the contrast between vocanos and ice.

And in the sewers, and in the zen garden tunnel.... *Grin* Someone forgot to tell the Stasis flower it grows in HOT places, not cold!!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Player Homes » Trying to understand landscaping
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: